Chapter Four

Sweet Like Honey

The rest of Seungwan’s week passed by quickly, being filled with phone calls, filing, and many conversations with Joohyun about the upcoming trial Seungwan would be attending. When she received her first paycheck on Friday, which was $850, she nearly cried. She was late on paying her heat bill, and knowing she would be able to pay it and still have money left over for food was a comfort she had not known since she moved to the big city. So on her first Saturday since starting her new job, she walked down to the grocery store to stock up on food. During the week she shopped at the convenience store down the street from her, but it was known for getting broken into and she avoided it if she could. The closest grocery store was still a pretty decent distance from her apartment, but it was worth it especially now she had the money to actually stock up on food.

 

    Seungwan walked up and down the aisles, feeling happier than she had in a long time. She finally had a job she enjoyed and made good money at, and she was making new friends while she was there. She and Yeri had exchanged phone numbers and had been texting throughout the day; it turned out they both liked music and they had bonded over that. As she went from the fresh produce section to the self checkout registers and began scanning her items, a familiar voice from behind her said, “Seungwan-ah?” She turned around to find Joohyun looking at her, brow furrowed, a basket tucked inside her elbow. Joohyun’s face brightened as she realized her assumption had been correct. “I knew it was you by the hair.” Seungwan smiled at Joohyun, still unsure what to say. She was a bit shell shocked at seeing Joohyun outside of work, wearing nothing but jeans and a sweater, face free of makeup. “How has your weekend been?” Joohyun asked.

 

    “Really good.” Seungwan answered truthfully. “How about you?”

 

    “Can’t complain.” Joohyun said with a smile, stepping up to the register beside Seungwan and beginning to scan her own items. “Do you live around here as well?”

 

    “Oh, no,” Seungwan felt heat rush to her face and she was certain her cheeks were red. “I live in the north part of the city.” She watched Joohyun’s face change as she mentioned the north of the city; it was known for being a bad area where a lot of crime happened.

 

    “Why did you come all the way to center city to grocery shop?” Joohyun asked, trying to cover her impulsive reaction.

 

    “There isn’t a true grocery store up there, only convenience stores. They aren’t exactly the nicest place to shop.” Seungwan explained. Joohyun gave her a solemn nod, like she understood. Seungwan wasn’t surprised Joohyun lived in center city, as that was where the law firm was located and only very wealthy people could afford to live in the southern part of the city.

 

    “Do the buses have routes in the northern part of the city?” Joohyun inquired further. Seungwan shifted her weight between her feet out of nervousness; she hated talking about her living situation. She focused on scanning her groceries, not looking at Joohyun.

 

    “Not really. There’s two routes into center city and one to the southern city. I walk everywhere I go.” She answered in a tight voice.

 

    “You walk?” Joohyun echoed, her voice faint. “You walked all the way from north city to here? You walk all the way to work everyday?” Seungwan nodded, to which Joohyun sighed. Seungwan finished placing her items in the plastic grocery bags and stuck her debit card into the chip reader to pay. Joohyun continued scanning her groceries in silence, which was deafening to Seungwan’s ears. Why isn’t she saying anything? She asked herself. Stalling, as she was hoping for a response from Joohyun, Seungwan slowly began picking up her grocery bags. Joohyun paid quickly, scooping her bags up with one hand and looked at Seungwan almost expectantly. “Come on, then.”

 

    “Huh?” Seungwan said, puzzled.

 

    “Let me give you a ride home.” Joohyun said, her tone amiable as ever. “I’d hate to make you walk.”

 

    “No, it’s okay, Miss Bae. I couldn’t let you…” Seungwan trailed off, the last part of her sentence - keep doing things for me - dying in .

 

    “I would feel awful knowing you’re walking all alone in such a bad neighborhood.” Joohyun went on, eyes dimmed by worry. “Please, let me give you a ride.” Seungwan sighed, contemplating.

 

    “Okay, fine.” She conceded. Joohyun’s face was wreathed in a smile, which made Seungwan feel somehow more guilty about the whole thing. Why does she keep doing things for me?

 

    Joohyun led the way towards the exit, Seungwan behind her, clutching her bags tightly. She was a bit excited to see what kind of car Joohyun drove, as she always arrived at work later than her boss and left before her. Her car was always in the parking lot behind the apartment building that housed the firm and Seungwan had never thought to go and look. Joohyun clicked her keys twice, unlocking the car doors as they approached a shiny, silver Volvo S60. Seungwan had never been in a car this nice and she was a bit stunned that Joohyun drove a car this expensive.

 

    “You can go ahead and put your bags in the backseat.” Joohyun said, setting her own shopping bags on the floor of the backseat, leaving the seats for Seungwan’s use. Seungwan slid her few bags in and shut the door carefully before going to sit in the passenger seat. Joohyun got into the driver’s seat, smiling at Seungwan as she started the car and began to back out of her spot cautiously. They drove north, taking side streets Seungwan knew by heart as she directed Joohyun towards her home. Side streets were less likely to be filled with men who would cat call or harass the women who walked alone, and Seungwan had had to learn that lesson the hard way. They rode in silence for a few moments, Joohyun carefully abiding the speed limit and watching the buildings whiz past them.

 

    “Turn up here, my apartment building is the second on the right. There’s parking spots on the street.” Seungwan directed, pointing to the street. Joohyun turned, peering down the street and spotting the old, worn looking brick building. She parked in one of the open spots easily, putting the car in park and turning to face Seungwan. “Thank you for driving me home.” Seungwan said. “You didn’t have to do that.”

 

    “It was my pleasure, Seungwan-ah.” Joohyun said, waving away the thank you. “I was actually hoping you would let me give you rides regularly, to and from work.”

 

    “You shouldn’t have to go out of your way to help me.” Seungwan replied. “I’m just your employee.”

 

    “Well I had been under the impression we were becoming friends.” Joohyun teased. Seungwan let out a quiet laugh. “Truly, I couldn’t live with myself if you had to walk so far everyday. I’m happy to drive you.”

 

    “You’re too nice.” Seungwan said, her cheeks rosy. She looked to the floor to cover her embarrassment.

 

    “So I’ll see you bright and early Monday morning?” Joohyun asked knowingly, aware she had won Seungwan over as she always seemed to do.

 

    “You like to get your way, don’t you?” Seungwan asked in lieu of an actual answer.

 

    “Why do you think I make a good lawyer?” Joohyun asked in reply, making Seungwan laugh. They smiled at one another for a brief moment, and then Seungwan opened her door and clambered out of the car, retrieving her shopping bags quickly and exchanging goodbyes with Joohyun. She stood on the cracked sidewalk of her street, grocery bags in hand, and watched as Joohyun drove away, staring after her car until it disappeared fully into the hustle and bustle of the city.