CHAPTER 3

Cider and Honey

Hoseok isn’t dumb.

No, he’s far from being the helpless ditz that his friends make him out to be.

He’s not lost on the comments they make, the laughs they’ve always shared over his clumsy moments, and he’s definitely not lost on the looks Jimin gives to Jungkook.

Not at all. 

Hoseok doesn’t necessarily understand it. Him and Jimin have been together for a long while now and things have been going so well for them. Or, at least he used to think so, before Jungkook entered into the picture.

He’ll never forget the way Jimin had acted when he’d returned back to their apartment that day. Hosek had never seen the man so lost in thought and contemplative in the few years he’d known him, something disorienting must have happened to make him act like that.

In a way, something disorienting did happen, but Hoseok hadn’t thought it would be in the form of a young man that used to be Jimin’s best friend coming into their lives like a whirlwind of a storm. To Hoseok, that in and of itself was disorienting enough, to find out that your boyfriend had secret person he’d never mentioned in all your time spent together, a man who you’re certain your boyfriend must have had feelings for at one point.

Jimin had denied it, of course, fervently. He said Jungkook was his childhood friend, that they were supposed to present together and live their lives precariously along with one another. Jimin said those plans had changed, however, when he’d presented as an alpha and Jungkook never presented at all.  

Hoseok would be lying if he said he hadn’t been jealous of the younger from the start. Jimin held a twinkle in his eye whenever mention of the other came into conversation, an indiscrete smile playing along his lips. It was always followed with a twitch of his eyebrows, turning down into a downcast look. Jimin was quick to change the subject when it became to heavy, it seemed, when talk of the younger started hitting personal notes. 

Hoseok had bypassed it, though, chose to ignore the signs.

Jimin had never done anything to break Hoseok’s trust. He knew Jimin would talk to him if anything ever came up between them, if the other eventually realized his feelings for Jungkook.

That has yet to happen though, and Hoseok has been patiently waiting for the day it comes. 

When Jimin came home that day, Hoseok instantly knew that Jungkook had presented. He could smell it before Jimin even walked through their front door. Hoseok wasn’t angered by the fact that Jungkook’s newly presented stench was doused all over Jimin’s body. His wolf was irritated, yes, but the rational part of him knew that Jimin would never do anything intentional with Jungkook.

Jungkook was his childhood best friend after all, and that pressing thought was at the forefront of their minds, him and Jimin’s both. 

Hoseok, however, isn’t as careful, isn’t as reserved as Jimin is.

He’s just better at hiding his feelings.

Yoongi had been over, discussing a project him and Hoseok needed to work on. Hoseok hadn’t been as persistent as he should have been, didn’t ward off Yoongi’s touch along his knee or the brush of their shoulders against one another.

Yoongi has to know that Hoseok is taken. Jimin’s scent is all over him, all over their apartment. They’re seen around campus and around the city quite often together.

He has to know right?

Of course he does. Yoongi has to know that Hoseok is with Jimin.

It’s the only way for Hoseok to feel less guilty about his actions, the thoughts constantly filtering through his mind. Where Jimin’s small hands, plump lips and blond hair used to stay locked in place are now filled with a gummy smile and long fingers, a small waist and a mop of dark black hair framed around rosy cheeks and deep brown slanted eyes.

Hoseok should feel guilty, and he does in his own right, but he can’t bring himself to feel entirely bad when Jimin himself is practically at Jungkook’s beck and call, wrapped around the younger’s finger like Hoseok doesn’t even exist.

Jimin can’t be mad at him for not stopping Yoongi’s advances every now and then, can’t blame him when he comes home doused in another omega’s scent after hours of not being home. 

No, Hoseok is justified in his thinking.

He has to be. 
 

| |

 

Hoseok is adorable, Yoongi thinks.

The omega is absolutely the cutest and has the brightest smile he’s ever seen on another human being possible. 

He hasn’t known Hoseok very long, only met him at the beginning of the semester in their elective photography class, but from that first day on, Yoongi has been utterly and completely smitten with him.

Hoseok has never mentioned having anyone close in his life, has only mentioned his friends from time to time. Yoongi doesn’t know much about the boy other than he’s a philosophy major wanting to publish books on religions and world mindsets, that he has a love for photography as a hobby but has never pursued it in any form other than through pictures on his phone. Yoongi remembers the look of surprise turning to enjoyment on the omega’s face when Yoongi said he’d be willing to partner up for the class and teach him the basics. 

Yoongi had fallen for the man even more right then and there.

They had since spent several hours out of the following weeks doing their photography work, bonding and developing their friendship. They’d never met up outside of those few hours, both of them having studying to do or plans with other friends. 

Yoongi was always open about his life, about his friendships and things about himself. Hoseok on the other hand, was more closed off. Yoongi could always smell other scents on the other, predominantly an alpha’s scent. But Hoseok doesn’t have a mating mark, and he hasn’t mentioned anything about a potential partner in his life, so Yoongi chalks it up to the scent being a really close friend. 

His suspicions are proven correct when he walks into Hoseok’s apartment for the first time, the combined scent of Hoseok and the alpha tingling his nose. 

So they’re roommates.

That explains it. 

Yoongi feels himself sigh in relief at the realization, the thought that he might actually have a chance with the omega now that he knew the other wasn’t claimed. It made their evening spent together just that more intimate. Hoseok didn’t shy away from Yoongi’s subtle touches, didn’t move away when he’d scooted closer and brushed their shoulders together.

And he didn’t flinch when Yoongi had wrapped his own hands over Hoseok’s, demonstrating a certain camera technique and buttons to hit to obtain the specific shot they’re wanting. 

If Yoongi wasn't too much of a chicken he would have leaned over and pecked the other on the lips. But, that’s out of Yoongi’s character, and he doesn’t want to make Hoseok uncomfortable. 

But it’s so tempting. Yoongi thinks about doing it, just jumping out there and throwing himself into the hurricane, to see if Hoseok really would reciprocate his feelings. He wants to do it, he really does.

The thought is always there. Yoongi wants to make Hoseok his, wants to be able to tell people and his friends that this beautiful, shining man is his and his alone. 

Yoongi would do anything to keep Hoseok’s smile burning across the other’s features all the time. It’s definitely imprinted itself into Yoongi’s mind, burned straight across his eyelids since the first time he witnessed it. 

God, Yoongi is so smitten with Hoseok it’s ridiculous. 

He thinks the other is too. Yoongi puts his shoes on by the door, Hoseok coming to stop in front of him. He flashes Yoongi a smile before wrapping him into a hug. Yoongi can’t help himself, Hoseok’s sweet and cloying scent is filling his senses, clouding his mind and making him drunk on it. He dips his nose into the crook of Hoseok’s neck, rubbing the others scent gland slightly.

Yoongi swears he hears Hoseok sigh, swears he feels the arms around him tighten their hold.

But all too soon they’re gone, and Hoseok is leading him out into the hallway, flashing him his warm and radiating smile before closing the door.