Chapter 17: One Who Makes You Whole

Under a Golden Cage (Lay X OC) (Red String of Fate Series #2)

Feiyan

 

After helping Yixing into her quarters and shutting the doors tightly behind her, Feiyan pulled Yixing to the innermost rooms and sent her servants away so she could properly speak with Yixing. If she had read his expression correctly, whatever had happened between him and Yifan was something that he couldn’t speak about openly with others. And if her instincts were right, Feiyan already had some idea about what it was Yixing was going to say.

 

“Are you hurt?” She asked softly, taking note of Yixing’s pale complexion. Yixing shook his head wearily.

 

“I’m alright, My Lady.” He assured her, “I’m just a little tired.” Feiyan sighed and pointed at one of the stools placed around her tea table.

 

“Sit down.” She ordered, “You look like you’re about to fall over.”

 

“My Lady, how could I-?” Yixing protested, but Feiyan frowned and pointed jabbed one finger silently at the stool. Yixing sighed and promptly sat as Feiyan requested before motioning at the seat next to him. Feiyan poured two cups of tea before sitting down, her finger tapping lightly on her teacup for a few silent moments before speaking.

 

“Zhang Yixing.” She said, looking to make sure Yixing was still listening before continuing, “The spy...it’s him, isn’t it?” Although she left the name unmentioned, she could tell by Yixing’s expression that they were thinking of the same person. The young imperial guard hesitated for a moment before nodding. 

 

“My Lady, how did you know?” He asked curiously. Feiyan huffed.

 

“Yixing, I may be coddled, but I’m not stupid.” She replied, “Wu Yifan is a military general; no matter what happens, he usually wouldn’t be foolish enough to attack someone close to the royal family out of the blue. Looking at the way he was fighting, he wouldn’t have hesitated to take your life if I hadn’t appeared. Combined with what you told me in Mongolia…” Feiyan’s fingers tightened around her teacup.

 

“Naturally, that would be my first conclusion.” She finished. Yixing didn’t respond, and Feiyan looked up to see her imperial guard smiling ever so slightly at her.

 

“What are you smiling about?” She asked, her cheeks flushing slightly. Yixing chuckled and shook his head.

 

“Nothing, My Lady.” He replied, “It’s just...you continue to surprise me every day. You’re beginning to pick up on things that I thought you wouldn’t have thought of in the past.” 

 

“Isn’t that a good thing?” Feiyan asked cheekily, although her heart began to pound at Yixing’s sudden praise. Yixing smiled and nodded in agreement.

 

“Indeed it is, My Lady.” He replied. Feiyan cleared and rose from her seat.

 

“In any case, I’m going to tell Emperor Father so he can get rid of that spy!” She declared.

 

“My Lady, please don’t be rash!” Yixing exclaimed. Feiyan ignored his protests and headed for the door, but was quickly pulled to a stop by a sharp tug on her wrist. 

 

“Yixing!” She protested as she turned around, “This is no small matter! Do you expect me to stand by and do nothing when I know that there is a spy in the imperial palace?” Yixing sighed and shook his head.

 

“No, My Lady.” He replied, “I know why you want to tell His Majesty, and I originally wanted to as well. But at the moment, there are too many things we still don’t know. For example, who does Yifan work for? He cannot possibly be working alone. And second, what is he trying to achieve? If all the previous incidents had to do with him and whoever he works for, no one would attack members of the royal family without a particular goal in mind. Before we even have answers to those basic questions, hauling Yifan in front of the emperor would be useless.” Feiyan carefully mulled over Yixing’s words. She had to admit that Yixing was right; although she wasn’t well versed in the political wars of the outer court, it was obvious that with so many gaps in the logic, it would be more than easy for Yifan to slip free even if the emperor interrogated him.

 

“Then...what do you suggest we do?” She asked, looking up at Yixing. Yixing bit his lip before responding.

 

“It might sound a little risky, but…” His voice trailed off slightly before continuing, “At this point, the only thing we can do is to pull along the vine that has been extended to us until we reach the plant hiding at the end.” Feiyan sighed before nodding. It irritated her to no end to know that Yifan was still out there with unknown motives, but when she thought about it again, having Yifan captured would only startle his real master into hiding.

 

“Very well.” She said quietly, “But Yixing, you must confide in me for everything, do you understand? No secrets.” Yixing blinked up at her, opened his mouth to protest slightly, then promptly shut it as Feiyan gave him a warning look. He sighed deeply.

 

“Yes, My Lady.” He replied, “I promise. But you must stay away from Yifan as well.” Feiyan nodded in satisfaction at his answer. Then, her gaze flickered around the room until it landed on the sofa in the corner.

 

“Go and rest there for a little bit.” She ordered, pointing at the sofa, “You haven’t rested properly in a long while.” Yixing’s eyes widened slightly.

 

“My Lady!” He exclaimed, “I could not possibly rest in your chambers!” Feiyan grinned and pressed a finger to her lips.

 

“You and I are the only ones here.” She noted, “If neither of us says anything, who will know if you slept here for a couple hours?” Yixing frowned as he opened his mouth to protest again, and without thinking, Feiyan reached out and clapped her hands over Yixing’s cheeks.

 

“Zhang Yixing, you really are too stubborn sometimes.” She teased, “It is good to be devoted to your duties, but if you do not rest, how can you protect me properly? You are clearly exhausted.” Yixing stared up at her at the sudden motion, his eyes wide in shock, his lips parted slightly. For some reason, his face seemed to be growing hot under her fingers. Feiyan blinked in confusion at the look on his face, and leaned down to study his face carefully.

 

“Yixing?” She asked, “What’s wrong?” Yixing blinked briefly as if to wake himself up from a daze, then cleared his throat and cast his gaze away from his master.

 

“My Lady, I will take a rest here,” He said, “But would you first let me go?”

 

“Eh?” Feiyan blinked, and with a start she realized how close she had leaned to the handsome young guard’s face. Yixing’s dark brown eyes were wide, his gaze trembling ever so slightly at their proximity. 

 

What am I doing?

 

Without thinking, Feiyan had let herself step far closer to Yixing than was socially acceptable, especially for a member of royalty and their personal guard. 

 

Feiyan quickly let her hands slip from Yixing’s cheeks and stepped back, clearing .

 

“My apologies.” She mumbled, “I wasn’t thinking.” She heard the soft rustle of fabric as Yixing rose from his seat.

 

“You don’t need to apologize, My Lady.” He said softly, “I should have stepped away earlier.” 

 

Feiyan took a deep breath, her heart hammering in her chest.

 

“I, uh, will be going to see my royal brother!” She declared, “You don’t need to follow me. Get some rest! Right there!” She jabbed a finger blindly towards the general direction of her sofa, then rushed out the room, slamming the doors shut behind her. 

 

“Your Highness?” Maids turned to look at Feiyan in surprise at her sudden appearance, “Are you alright?” Feiyan nodded and waved a hand dismissively at the maids, staring at her feet to keep the maids from seeing the flustered expression surely taking over her face. The servant gossip system was one of the most well kept communication systems in the royal palace. The last thing she needed was rumors going around that something odd had happened after the princess and her guard had entered her rooms together. 

 

“Go about your duties.” She mumbled, and the maids hesitantly shuffled off to their tasks. 

 

Tilting her head up towards the elaborate ceiling, Feiyan took a deep breath. Carefully, she placed one hand on her chest, and felt her heart pounding heavily within it. Was it just from her headlong run out of the room? Or...was it something else? Feiyan swallowed hard as she recalled the unintentional awkward moment she had found herself in. 

 

Yixing’s face, just mere inches away from hers, his bow shaped lips parted ever so slightly, his deep rich eyes wide from surprise. 

 

Feiyan lowered her head and sighed deeply before blowing out her breath slowly.

 

Calm down, Feiyan. Calm down. He’s just your guard. 

 

Right?

 

____________________________________________________________________________

Yixing

 

Yixing lifted his head carefully as he heard the doors to the princess’s rooms close behind her, followed by the rushed shuffle of slippered feet running off into the distance. Yixing blew out his breath slowly, one hand placed carefully over his chest. His heart pounded loudly under his long fingers, the rapid beat pounding against his palm. For once, he was glad his ever curious mistress hadn’t turned to look at him before running off to see Crown Prince Luhan.

 

That...was very dangerous.

 

Yixing felt his throat go dry as he recalled the last few moments. The princess’s warm hands pressed firmly against his cheeks, a soft pout on her pink lips as she insisted that he rest, her large eyes, framed with long lashes, wide and insistent that he listen to her. It had only lasted for a few seconds, but it was more than enough to make Yixing’s breath catch in his throat, his chest tightening so much he found it difficult to breathe. Just recalling it was enough to send another hot flush over Yixing’s cheeks. 

 

If I didn’t have enough self control to tell her to move away…

 

Yixing blew out his breath slowly again and patted at his cheeks.

 

Calm down, calm down.

 

Why am I feeling so confused?

 

As Yixing sat down on the sofa, his father’s voice from their conversation before he had left Mongolia came back to him. 

 

You...like the princess, don’t you?

 

Yixing gulped and rolled over onto his back on the sofa. He wasn’t the most experienced when it came to feelings between a man and a woman, that was for sure. He had originally intended to devote his entire life to the princess, never allowing himself to dally in the luxuries of love and marriage. 

 

And yet, he couldn’t help but admit to himself that the more he thought about it, the more he had to admit that the princess had a certain power to make his heart race and his cheeks flush, to make him do things that he had never desired to do before.

 

My Lady...I thought I would be content with being your guard for the rest of my life but...can I ever dare to step over the boundary between being merely your guard and becoming something more?

 

____________________________________________________________________________

Feiyan

 

“Princess Rongxian has arrived!” Maids and eunuchs rushed to bow to the princess as she arrived at the Crown Prince’s rooms. Feiyan took a deep breath and patted her cheeks one more time before turning to the eunuch at the door.

 

“Is my brother awake?” She asked. The eunuch nodded in response.

 

“The prince woke up not long after taking the antidote.” He replied, “I’m certain he will be happy to see you, Your Highness.” Feiyan nodded in satisfaction and pushed open the doors to Crown Prince Luhan’s innermost chambers.

 

“Royal Brother!” Her eyes lit up as her gaze fell on Luhan’s figure sitting in bed, propped up by a little mountain of pillows. He turned slightly at the sound of her voice and smiled as he saw Feiyan. He placed the lacquered porcelain bowl he was drinking from on the table next to him and held out a hand to her.

 

“Come here, little sister.” He said gently. Feiyan smiled and ran over to her brother’s side. She promptly folded her legs under her and sat down on the polished floor beside him, her folded arms resting on the soft bed sheets. Luhan chuckled at her position.”

 

“Silly girl.” He murmured as he patted her on the head, “Why are you sitting like that? You’re not a child anymore.” Feiyan grinned and shook her head.

 

“Just let me be a child for once, Royal Brother.” She said softly, “Just for a little bit.” So many things had happened within the past few weeks; no, it was more in the last few days. At that moment, all Feiyan wanted to do was close her eyes and return to her carefree childhood at Luhan’s side, when she didn’t have to worry about political marriages and battles over political power. Luhan chuckled softly.

 

“Royal Father told me everything about your trip to Mongolia with Yixing.” He said, “Thank you, little sister. It must have been hard on you.” Feiyan grinned and shook her head.

 

“I didn’t mind.” She replied, “I did it to save you, Royal Brother. It was partially my fault that you fell ill anyway. It was only the right thing to do.” Luhan smiled and Feiyan squeaked as he poked her gently on the nose.

 

“Looking at the way you talk, it seems like my little sister is all grown up now.” He said teasingly. Feiyan clapped a hand over her nose and batted her brother’s hand away.

 

“Brother! Don’t tease me!” She protested with a pout. Luhan laughed and shook his head in amusement.

 

“But little sister...did something happen recently?” He asked curiously, “Your cheeks are all pink.” Feiyan’s eyes widened and she shook her head furiously.

 

“Of course not, Royal Brother.” She replied, “I was simply so excited to hear you’re better, I ran all the way here from my chambers.” Luhan gazed at her for a long moment, and Feiyan squirmed as she wondered if her brother could see through her lie.

 

“Royal Sister…” He said softly, “Is there a man who has captured your heart?” Feiyan’s jaw dropped slightly at the question. 

 

He’s not entirely wrong. This is what happens when your brother is a talented politician in the royal court!

 

“N-no, of course not.” She replied quickly, waving her hands, “What makes you think that, Royal Brother?” Luhan chuckled and lightly flicked Feiyan on the nose.

 

“Because you’re acting the way my wife did when I first started courting her.” He said, “Cheeks blushing at the smallest little thing I did. It was the most adorable thing I’d ever seen.” Feiyan cleared .

 

“Please, I am still young!” She protested, “What do I know about love?” Luhan grinned.

 

“You are already 18 years old.” He replied softly, “Royal Father will surely arrange a suitable marriage for you soon, if you do not have a choice in mind already.” Feiyan grumbled and played with her fingers on the bedsheets.

 

“What does it feel like to love someone, Royal Brother?” She asked, “All I’ve seen are romance novels, but it certainly can’t be like that in real life, right?” Luhan grinned and ruffled Feiyan’s hair.

 

“Let’s see…” He mused, “When I am apart from my wife, all I want to do is to go see her and hold her in my arms. If she’s happy, then I am happy. If she is sad, I want to find whoever it is that made her sad and make them pay for it. I’m comfortable around the Crown Princess; I can see myself spending the rest of my days with her, and the children that we will bear. I want to give her all the happiness in the world, because that is what she deserves.” He smiled and raised one finger into the air.

 

“In short, the Crown Princess makes me whole.” He stated, “Every person has a place in their heart waiting for the one they are destined to love. To me, that is what the Crown Princess is.” Feiyan mulled over her brother’s words, deep in thought.

 

Someone...who makes me whole…

 

As Feiyan mused over her brother’s description of love, the image of Yixing’s smiling handsome face suddenly wafted up in her mind. Her eyes widened, and she shook her head furiously to clear the image from her head. 

 

“Think of someone?” Luhan asked teasingly. Feiyan jumped to her feet and shook her head again.

 

“No Royal Brother, I am nowhere near ready to be married yet.” She declared, her cheeks feeling hot, “I will not interrupt your rest anymore. Please say hello to Sister-in-Law for me when she comes by later!” Fanning her cheeks, Feiyan rushed back out from her brother’s rooms the same way she had rushed into them. Maids scattered out of the way as Feiyan ran past them, her headlong sprint not stopping until she reached the royal gardens. Gasping for air, Feiyan knelt next to the large fountain in the middle of the garden and laid her head against the cool stone to let it calm her warm cheeks.

 

What is this feeling…?

 

I couldn’t be...could I?

 

__________________________________________________________________________

In the weeks that followed Feiyan and Yixing’s return from Mongolia, life passed rather peacefully, a rare occurrence in the tumultuous elaborate lives of those who lived within the golden gilded walls of the royal palace. For her part, Feiyan attempted to wipe the embarrassing few moments of the day of their return from her mind, and forced herself to pretend it had never happened. Thankfully, Yixing seemed to be intent on doing the same thing; same as always, he appeared faithfully by her side every moment when she left her rooms, walking silently next to her until his master reached her next destination. Neither brought up the awkward moments they had found themselves in, and it seemed fine to keep it that way, at least for the timebeing.

 

And then, two months later, everything changed again.

 

__________________________________________________________________________

As Feiyan swung on the swing in her palace one day, she heard the sound of footsteps rushing past the front door, paired with hushed but anxious murmurs. Feiyan looked at one of her maids questioningly, and the young maid quickly went to the door to investigate the source of all the sounds they were hearing. After a few moments, the maid returned and bobbed in a curtsey before reporting to her master.

 

“Princess, the servants outside said Imperial Noble Consort Wen has gone into labor.” She reported, “It seems to be a difficult labor, so the Emperor has called all the royal physicians and palace midwives to attend the birth.” Feiyan sighed.


“Oh, is that what it is.” She replied, “I see.” It was bound to happen sooner or later; it had been many months since Wen Zhiyu had announced her pregnancy. New children were born into the royal family all the time, it was nothing new. At the same time, Feiyan knew that her father was more than anxious about this birth in particular, because of his blatant preference for Wen Zhiyu over any other concubine in the harem. 

 

If she has another son, how much more will her power grow? 

 

Eventually, Feiyan knew that Imperial Noble Consort Wen would no longer tolerate her presence in the royal palace. Although Feiyan was only a princess, she was still her father’s favorite daughter, and held some sway over his decisions if she pressed hard enough. If Wen Zhiyu wanted to continue having her way, then Feiyan would either have to be married off soon or killed. And then, there were still the unsettled matters about Feiyan’s mother…

 

“My Lady.” Yixing’s gentle voice drew her attention, and she blinked out of her thoughts as her guard came and knelt on one knee in front of her. 

 

“Are you worried...about the coming child?” He asked. Feiyan gazed at Yixing for a moment in surprise, then laughed quietly.

 

“I’m an open book, aren’t I?” She asked. Yixing smiled faintly.

“I just know your expressions well, My Lady.” He replied. Feiyan laughed softly. 

 

“Indeed, you do.” She replied with a smile, her mood lightened by Yixing’s gentle face.

 

It’s true...in this world, Zhang Yixing is the only one who knows everything about me.

 

“Don’t worry, My Lady.” Yixing said warmly, “No matter what gender the new baby is, you will still hold a very important position in the Emperor’s heart. And in the end, the Imperial Noble Consort is still merely a concubine. She cannot stretch her hand too far into political matters.” Feiyan sighed and blew out her breath slowly. 

 

“I sincerely hope that what you say is true, Zhang Yixing.” She replied softly. 

 

Still, I will not underestimate Wen Zhiyu’s influence. 

 

“Shall we go for a walk in the garden, My Lady?” Yixing asked. Feiyan grinned and shook her head. 

 

“No, there will be too many concubines there at this hour.” She replied, “I want to go paint something.” 

 

“Oh? What does My Lady want to paint today?” Yixing asked. Feiyan tilted her head slightly, one finger tapping against her cheek as she pondered over the question.

 

“Perhaps I will paint you.” She replied with a teasing smile. Yixing’s eyes widened.

 

“My Lady, please don’t.” He protested, “The last time you did that, the other guards who heard about it wouldn’t stop teasing me about it for days!” Feiyan laughed softly. 

 

“Then shall I gather them all up and paint each of them?” She replied, “Then there would be no teasing necessary.” Yixing froze at her suggestion, his footsteps slowing to a stop. Feiyan looked at him curiously as he stared at the ground for a long moment, a serious looking coming over his face. 

 

“Yixing?” She said, waving a hand in front of his face, “Is something wrong?” Yixing snapped out of his daze at her voice, then turned and looked at her.

 

“My Lady, you must not make such suggestions rashly.” He stated firmly, “You are a princess of the great Qing Dynasty. You cannot just paint any man!” Feiyan tilted her head slightly, smiling faintly as an idea came to mind.

 

“But I have painted you before, Zhang Yixing.” She teased, “So why can’t I paint the other guards together? They can hang it in the dormitory. It’ll be their honor.” 

 

“My Lady, I am not just any man!” Yixing blurted, “I am-!” Feiyan smiled teasingly. 

 

“You are what?” She prodded. Yixing froze, seeming to realize that he had somehow managed to corner himself into answering a potentially dangerous question.

 

“I am your personal guard.” He finally replied after a long moment of silence, “The one who grew up with you and knows you better than any other guard in this palace. Certainly, I am not just any man.” Feiyan sighed softly as she gazed up at her guard. Certainly, what he said was true; Yixing’s identity was her personal guard, and nothing more. He wasn’t just any man, but at the same time, he wasn’t much more than that at the moment. 

 

And yet, something inside Feiyan had been hoping for a different answer.

 

Why am I feeling slightly disappointed?

 

___________________________________________________________________________

Despite Feiyan’s hopes, Wen Zhiyu’s child was another boy. The emperor was more than delighted by the news, and ordered the entire royal palace to celebrate for seven days straight. Unlike other royal children who were not given a name until 100 days after their birth, the emperor granted the new baby prince a name the day right after he was born. The court astrologers all praised the little prince, claiming that he had the face of prosperity and a bright future in front of him. Wen Zhiyu was bestowed with piles of gifts from the emperor, more than she could ever use for another five years. Because she had no other choice, Feiyan went along with her siblings as the royal children went to congratulate the emperor on the arrival of another prince. To Feiyan, she could see none of what the astrologers were constantly going on about; the infant was just an infant, small and squirming, making a fuss every now and then when he was tired or hungry. Surely, the astrologers were just kissing up to the most powerful woman in the harem. At the same time, Feiyan knew better than to raise her thoughts to her father. The emperor was so infatuated with Wen Zhiyu, he eagerly believed anything positive that was said about her and her children. There was no way he would even hear anything negative Feiyan had to say, much less believe it. 

 

And then, 100 days after the new baby prince was born, Feiyan’s life was thrown into turmoil yet again.

 

____________________________________________________________________________

When the new prince turned 100 days old, Emperor Kangxi threw a lavish feast to celebrate the boy’s birthday. It was one of the greatest honors to have, both on the child and on the boy’s mother, Imperial Noble Consort Wen. As was expected of her, Feiyan dressed in a new brightly colored dress and attended the banquet along with her siblings. She could feel the eyes of the court officials as well as her siblings watching her as she entered the main hall to greet her father and Wen Zhiyu. It was no secret that Feiyan was not in the slightest bit fond of Imperial Noble Consort Wen. The many pairs of eyes watching Feiyan were likely wondering if she would make a fuss at one of the grandest events to be held in the palace. When it was Feiyan’s turn to present her congratulatory gifts, she stepped forward with her maids, and bowed to her father before speaking.

 

“Royal Father, Your Highness, I have created a painting especially to congratulate Her Highness the Imperial Noble Consort on the birth of my new little brother.” She said, flicking one hand to her maids. The young maids unrolled the painting, revealing a depiction of an outdoor scenery filled with children of various ages and sizes going about different tasks across the surface of the painting. Some were playing with toys, some were swimming in a lake, and some were eating together around a small stone table.

 

“Father, this is a thousand children painting.” Feiyan explained, “I made it in the hopes that Her Highness the Imperial Noble Consort will bear you many more children in the future, and when they grow up they will also bring you many grandchildren.” Emperor Kangxi laughed in pleasure.

 

“A thousand children painting.” He said with a nod of satisfaction, “You have put much thought into this, Daughter.” Feiyan smiled faintly and ducked her head politely.

 

“Of course.” She replied, “The Imperial Noble Consort is Father’s favorite concubine, and was blessed to have two sons in a row. It is only proper that I bestow only the finest gift I could think of.” Then, she turned and looked directly at Wen Zhiyu.

 

“Isn’t that right, Mother?” She said coolly. Feiyan saw Wen Zhiyu stiffen ever so slightly at the sudden change in title, and hid a smile at the consort’s reaction. Emperor Kangxi had long wanted Feiyan to refer to the consort as mother, as was the custom between royal children and the highest ranking consort in the royal harem. Feiyan had been one of the few that had resisted this entire time, and everyone knew it. To suddenly direct such an intimate title towards Wen Zhiyu would do nothing more but make her uncomfortable in front of the watching eyes of the imperial harem, the royal children, and the highest ranking lords of the court. 

 

But that was precisely what Feiyan wanted.

 

She had thought over it long and hard, and concluded that it would not be in her best wishes to openly make a fuss or embarrass the Imperial  Noble Consort at the baby’s birthday feast. Instead, she would act in the way that was expected of her, so much that it would make Wen Zhiyu uncomfortable.

 

There is no way I will let you fully win this time, Wen Zhiyu.

 

It was only a small victory, but for now it was enough. 

 

After a long moment of silence, Wen Zhiyu’s startled expression smoothed over, and a strained smile turned up the corner of her lips. 

 

“I am grateful for my daughter’s meaningful gift.” She replied, emphasizing the word “daughter” as she spoke, “But did you not prepare a gift for your precious little brother as well? It is not right if only I receive a gift from you.” The soft hushed murmurs of voices filled the air at the Imperial Noble Consort’s question. It was a valid question; at a feast celebrating the birth of a prince, it made little sense not to prepare gifts for that night’s center of attention. It wasn’t like Feiyan didn’t know those basic rules; she hadn’t lived for many years in the palace for nothing.

 

But truly, Feiyan could neither find the energy in her heart to congratulate the woman who had likely killed her mother nor create a gift for her newborn child. 

 

And so, she had already seen this question coming and prepared an answer ahead of time. 

 

Feiyan sighed deeply before dropping to her knees in a flutter of pink fabric. A chorus of gasps filled the air at her sudden motion. As one of the elder princesses in the royal family, and a known favorite of the Emperor, there weren’t many things that could make Princess Rongxian kneel on both knees. Typically, there was only one reason: punishment by Emperor Kangxi himself. To make such a grand motion was to imply that Wen Zhiyu and her child, simply by nature of being the Emperor’s favorite, held power akin to that of the Emperor himself. It was a subtle implication, but those who were experienced in court would pick it up nonetheless. 

 

“Royal Father, please forgive me.” Feiyan said, looking up at her father with the most pleading expression she could muster, “I was simply too afraid to prepare a gift for my new little brother. The last time Mother bore a child and I gave him a gift, someone used that gift to plot against me, and I was almost charged with attempting to murder a member of the royal family! Father, surely you remember that, and how much I suffered during that time.” Emperor Kangxi thought for a long moment before nodding.

 

“Indeed, I do remember.” He replied, “One of the jealous consorts put poison on the toy for the prince and intended to frame you for the crime.” Feiyan nodded, sniffling slightly for emotional effect.

 

“Royal Father, it is alright if I am wrongfully accused,” She said, “But what if the same thing happens again and my new little brother is really injured this time? He is only a baby!” Emperor Kangxi sighed.

 

“Get up, Rongxian.” He said, “You are a caring child and have thought this through carefully. It is alright, your mother and I will understand.” Feiyan rose to her feet, bowing politely.

 

“Thank you, Royal Father.” She said with another sniffle, “I will take my leave.” As Feiyan backed away and returned to her seat, she cast a glance up at Wen Zhiyu. The consort’s face was one of barely hidden anger and annoyance, just hidden behind a tight lipped smile. Feiyan turned her head away, barely hiding a triumphant smirk. To refuse to give the child a gift was an insult to Wen Zhiyu and her child alike, but Feiyan had played on her father’s kind heart, the basic precept of filial piety, and the love that in theory should exist between siblings. 

 

And in the end, she was the one who had won. 

 

Yixing gave her a quick triumphant smile as their gazes met, and Feiyan slipped gracefully back into her seat. Then, as the banquet was in full swing, a soldier was quickly ushered in by one of the eunuchs.

 

“Your Majesty!” The soldier exclaimed, falling to one knee. The Emperor looked down at the soldier in confusion.

 

“What is the commotion?” He asked, “We are in the middle of a festive event!” Feiyan frowned as she looked over at the soldier. It was clear that he had run a long way; his armor was covered in dirt, and his brow glistened with sweat in the candlelight. 

 

“I apologize, Your Majesty.” The soldier replied, “But I have urgent news to report!” Emperor Kangxi sighed.

 

“What is it?” He asked. 

 

“There has been a disaster!” The soldier reported urgently, “Due to the recent rain, the rivers near the Ming remnants villages have overflooded their banks and flooded all of the villages!”