Chapter 16: I am Yours

Under a Golden Cage (Lay X OC) (Red String of Fate Series #2)

Author's note: If anyone is wondering, the song that Yixing is playing further down the page (as I imagined it) is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIthSDrGnJk so if anyone wants to have it playing in the back, it's this one.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Feiyan

 

“Yixing!” A smile lit up Feiyan’s face as she recognized her personal guard coming out of the surrounding trees. A gentle smile turned up the corner of Yixing’s lips as Feiyan hurried over to him as fast as her long skirt would allow. His dark brown eyes carefully but quickly ran over Feiyan before he spoke, taking in every inch of his mistress to be certain that she was unharmed. 

 

“My Lady, I’m glad you are safe.” He said softly at last, eyes sparkling in the moonlight. 

 

“Of course she is!” Princess Sarnai walked up to Yixing and crossed her arms, “You have the most famous warrior princess in Mongolia taking care of her.” Yixing smirked. 

 

“You are quite confident.” He said teasingly. Princess Sarnai grinned. 

 

“Indeed I am, and rightfully so.” She replied smoothly. Feiyan looked curiously from the princess to Yixing and back again. Was it just her imagination? In the short time they had been in Mongolia, it seemed like something had changed between Princess Sarnai and Yixing, although Feiyan couldn’t put her finger on what it was. The way they spoke and the way Yixing stood in relation to the princess...it held an air of familiarity and comfort that hadn’t been there before. Yixing was a respectful man; of that Feiyan was sure, and so he would never rashly break protocol, particularly in front of a foreign royal. And now that both Yixing and Princess Sarnai stood in front of her...Feiyan frowned in confusion. The similarity that she had imagined before was all the more stark when both were in her line of vision. Before she could ask though, Princess Sarnai smiled and turned to give Feiyan a polite bow.

 

“Well, it seems like I should take my leave.” She stated. Feiyan blinked in confusion.

 

“It is the middle of the night!” She exclaimed. Princess Sarnai smiled.

 

“I am a princess but also a warrior.” She answered, “I do not need to sleep for very long. If I set out now, I will be home by early morning.” Feiyan thought for a moment, then nodded.

 

“Alright.” She said, “Be careful on your way home.” Princess Sarnai packed up her things and hopped onto her horse. Then, she turned back briefly as she prepared to set off.

 

“Zhang Yixing!” She called, “Take care of your princess!” Yixing grinned and waved the princess off.

 

“You don’t need to remind me!” He called back. Feiyan blinked and turned to look at Yixing curiously as Princess Sarnai rode off. 

 

“What was that about?” She asked. Yixing tilted his head slightly.

 

“What was what about, My Lady?” He asked. Feiyan pouted slightly as she thought about how to ask. While Princess Sarnai’s words had been simple enough, she had had an unfamiliar look in her eyes as she had spoken to Yixing, and the same held for the young imperial guard. It was as if...the two were thinking about something that Feiyan didn’t understand or know about, a secret just between them. 

 

“Are you two...keeping something from me?” Feiyan asked suspiciously. Yixing’s eyes widened slightly in alarm before quickly settling on a little smile.

 

“Why do you ask about that, My Lady?” He replied. Feiyan huffed.

 

“Stop answering my question with another question!” She protested, making Yixing laugh again. 

 

“Yes, My Lady.” He replied, “And now, I wouldn’t keep something from you.” Feiyan frowned slightly as she took a step forward and hopped up onto her tiptoes to look closer at her imperial guard. Yixing’s eyes widened slightly in alarm again, his hand instinctively grasping Feiyan’s arm as she wobbled slightly. 

 

“My Lady, what are you doing?” He asked. Feiyan huffed.

 

“You’re lying.” She declared, “Yixing, you never look me in the eye when you’re lying, and your hands are shaking too.” Yixing coughed awkwardly and quickly placed Feiyan properly back onto her feet.

 

“That is only because I am holding you and you are in close proximity to me, My Lady.” He replied. Feiyan would have rolled her eyes if the motion wouldn’t seem improper for a royal. She would never believe an excuse like that. In all the years that Yixing had stayed by her side, Feiyan knew better than anyone what the young man was like. At least when it came to her, Yixing’s touch was always steady and secure, and his gaze rarely ever left her...unless he was lying. Still, Feiyan also knew that promises or not, if Yixing wanted to tell her whatever it was he was hiding, he already would have. In fact, it was precisely because he had promised her that Feiyan was certain Yixing had a good reason for continuing to keep his secret. She sighed and sat back down on the blanket she had originally been sleeping on. 

 

“Very well.” She said flatly, “Then your punishment is to sing me a song until I fall asleep. I was sleeping just fine until you arrived.” Yixing’s eyes widened.

 

“But My Lady, I’m not-!” One look from Feiyan immediately cut off whatever Yixing had been saying.

 

“I don’t care if what you want to say is you aren’t keeping a secret or you don’t know how to sing.” Feiyan stated, “Stop trying to protest Yixing, I’m not a fool.” Yixing gazed at her for another long moment then sighed and sat down next to Feiyan.

 

“I really cannot sing.” He said, “Why don’t I play you a song instead?” Feiyan looked at him curiously.

 

“On what?” She asked, “There are no instruments out here.” Yixing chuckled and reached up, his long fingers snapping off a thin leaf from the tree behind them.

 

“Who says?” He replied with a small smile. Feiyan stared at him.

 

“You mean you can play a song on that?” She said incredulously. Yixing grinned and twirled the leaf around his fingers briefly.

 

“You’ll see.” He replied mysteriously. Feiyan watched in wonder as Yixing lightly curled up the edges of the leaf, lifted it to his lips, and gently began blowing on it. To Feiyan’s amazement, the soft sweet sounds of flute music began to fill the air, the sound crisp and clear among the soft rustles of forest life. Slowly, the soothing music began to lull Feiyan to sleep, and without thinking, she leaned over slightly and rested her head on Yixing’s shoulder as her eyes grew heavy. She felt Yixing stiffen slightly in response, but he didn’t move away. Feiyan looked up through half lidded eyes at the young imperial guard next to her. In the warm glow of the moonlight, Feiyan was once again reminded of the same way the moon had illuminated Princess Sarnai’s sharp but elegant features earlier that night. Once again, Feiyan was suddenly struck by the resemblance between Yixing and Princess Sarnai’s features.

 

“Yixing.” She said sleepily, “Have you ever noticed...that you and Princess Sarnai look alike?” The music faded as Yixing looked down at her, and for a moment it seemed like alarm fluttered over Yixing’s handsome features.

 

“Why do you say that, My Lady?” He asked. Feiyan smiled sleepily.

 

“It’s just...something that I suddenly noticed.” She replied softly.

 

“My Lady...I…” Yixing seemed to say something more, but before he could finish, Feiyan couldn’t keep her heavy eyes open any longer, and she fell into the deep darkness of slumber. 

 

____________________________________________________________________________

When Feiyan awoke the next morning, her eyes were greeted by warm morning sunlight flowing through the tree canopy above her, the soft chirping of birds filling her ears. Rubbing her eyes sleepily, Feiyan sat up and realized that sometime during the night, Yixing had lowered her back down onto the blanket she had been sitting on and had tucked a second rolled up blanket under her head as a makeshift pillow. 

 

Speaking of which…

 

Feiyan looked around and realized that her bodyguard was nowhere to be seen. Pushing down her rising confusion, Feiyan continued scanning the area around her and noticed that Yixing’s horse was still tied to a nearby tree, the same place he had left it the night before along with the small pack of travel items he had brought along. Feiyan blew out her breath slowly at the sight, her tightening chest relaxing ever so slightly. 

 

He couldn’t have gone far.

 

The sound of footsteps reached her ears, and on instinct Feiyan scrambled backwards, her hands quickly grabbing a long stick off the ground. Jumping to her feet, she looked around for a suitable place to hide before ducking behind the nearest tree. The footsteps came closer, and soon the approaching person entered their little makeshift camp. Feiyan heard the sound of rustling as whoever it was searched around the bushes near where she had been sleeping, then a voice spoke. 

 

“My Lady? My Lady, where did you go?” Feiyan’s hammering heart calmed at the sound of the familiar voice, and she poked her head out slightly from her hiding place to see Yixing standing in the middle of the clearing. She sighed in relief at the sight of her personal guard, then her breath caught in as she fully took in the sight of Yixing standing nearby.

 

Oh...

 

 At some point while he had been away, Yixing had let his hair down from it’s usual topknot so that the long flowing dark strands fell down his shoulders and over his collar in a dark wave save for a small ponytail that pulled some of his hair away from the back of his neck. Evidently, he had taken the time to wash it in the meantime as well; flecks of water sparkled in the early morning light that reflected off of Yixing’s still damp hair and cheeks, in effect almost giving him an ethereal glow. Feiyan felt grow dry, her cheeks suddenly feeling flushed. She turned around and quickly patted at her cheeks, stepping on a branch and causing it to crack loudly in the process. The sharp sound of metal being pulled free filled the air as Yixing reacted quickly to the noise, one hand pulling his sword out of its sheath in one fluid motion.

 

“Who’s there?” He demanded, turning towards the source of the noise. Feiyan sighed and patted at her cheeks one more time before stepping out from her hiding place.

 

“Put your sword away, it’s only me.” She called, stepping out from behind the tree. Yixing turned quickly at the sound of her voice, relief flooding his expression as he saw her.

 

“My Lady, what are you doing back there?” He asked, “I was about to think someone had captured you!” Feiyan huffed and crossed her arms. 

 

“If you were that worried you shouldn’t have stepped away.” She grumbled. Yixing’s gaze softened.

 

“I apologize, My Lady.” He said, “But I only went to pick some wild fruit so you would have something to eat before we set out.” Feiyan blinked as he held out a small cloth filled with an assortment of wild fruit, her chest warming at the small motion. 

 

“And take the time to wash your hair.” She added with a soft pout, plucking an apple from the offered fruit and pushing the rest back towards Yixing. He chuckled softly and touched his damp hair self consciously. 

 

“I was only at the stream around the corner.” He explained, “I would have certainly heard anything-” Yixing cut off as Feiyan fixed her glare on him, then smiled faintly and ducked his head.

 

“I was wrong.” He admitted. Feiyan laughed softly and tossed her apple lightly into the air before catching it again.

 

“I won’t hold it against you, Yixing.” She said, “After all, we are in the middle of the wilderness right now. But...there won’t be a next time, understand?” Yixing grinned and nodded. 

 

“Then...shall we get going, My Lady?” He asked, gesturing towards the horse tied nearby. Feiyan nodded and walked to the horse’s side before turning around and looking at Yixing as he quickly packed up their things. The gentle morning sunlight bathed Yixing in its warm glow from where he stood in the middle of the clearing, once again giving him a soft ethereal aura. As the sunlight slightly blinded Feiyan’s vision, Feiyan suddenly realized with a start that the sunlight almost made it look like Yixing was fading away into nothing right in front of her eyes. Her chest inexplicably tightening, Feiyan stepped forward quickly.

 

“Zhang Yixing!” The young imperial guard turned at the sound of her voice, and Feiyan felt herself relax as he stepped forward slightly, causing his seemingly fading image to normalize again in front of her. 

 

“Yes, My Lady?” He answered. Feiyan swallowed hard, unsure of what to say before a question rose unbidden to her lips.  

 

“Yixing...will you stay by my side forever?” She asked quietly. A warm smile turned up the corners of Yixing’s lips. 

 

“I will walk by your side to the ends of the earth, My Lady.” Yixing promised gently, “You don’t need to worry.” Feiyan suppressed a small pleased smile at his response.

 

“Who said I was worrying?” She responded with a slight huff, crossing her arms. Yixing chuckled and walked over to attach their parcels onto the side of the horse’s saddle. 

 

“No one, My Lady.” He responded with a smile before swinging himself into the saddle. Still smiling, Yixing reached down and held out a hand to Feiyan.

 

“Shall we continue on our way?” He said. Feiyan turned to gaze at Yixing for a long moment, a smile rising to her lips again as the sun lit up Yixing’s kind face. 

 

Why was I even worrying?

 

Feiyan reached up and laid her hand in Yixing’s, the warmth of his larger hand wrapping around hers soothing away the rest of her earlier anxiety. In one swift motion, Yixing pulled her onto the saddle in front of him, his hands coming around her to hold the reins while maintaining a proper distance to maintain propriety. 

 

“My Lady.” Yixing said softly, the sound sending a shiver down Feiyan’s back for a reason she couldn’t explain. Was it just that he was right behind her? Yes, that had to be it. 

 

“Y-yes?” Feiyan asked, her voice stumbling slightly over the simple word. 

 

“I...will never leave your side, My Lady.” Yixing swore, “Even if I did, I will never be far away, and I will always return to stand by your side. Because I...am yours, now and forever.” Feiyan blinked, her heart leaping at his sudden statement. There wasn’t anything particularly new about what Yixing had said; Feiyan herself had said on more than one occasion that Yixing was her man. But now that Yixing was the one saying it...Feiyan felt her cheeks flush again, her heart suddenly starting to pound in her ears. 

 

“I-I know that!” She declared, hoping Yixing wouldn’t notice her flushed expression, “Didn’t you say we were going home? We should get moving!” Yixing laughed softly from behind her before tightening his hands on the reins. With a shout, he kicked their horse into motion, and together they hurried along the path towards the Qing Empire. 

 

____________________________________________________________________________

 

Feiyan and Yixing arrived back in the capital in record time, having successfully avoided being found by the rest of the Qing soldiers that had come along with them on the trip. They rushed to find the emperor as soon as they arrived in the palace and delivered the medicine to the crown prince. Before long, the physicians delivered the good news that although the prince was still weak, his life was no longer in danger, and Feiyan was sent back to her quarters to rest. Feiyan sighed in relief as she and Yixing returned to her rooms.

 

“I’m glad we made it in time!” She said happily, “The rough journey was all worth it!” Feiyan caught Yixing smiling at her warmly and tilted her head curiously.

 

“What are you smiling about?” She asked. Yixing chuckled and shook his head.

 

“Nothing.” He said, “I’m just happy to see you smiling again.” Feiyan frowned in confusion.

 

“I smiled in Mongolia, didn’t I?” She asked. Yixing thought for a moment before responding.

 

“You did.” He replied, “But it was always tinged with worry. Now that the Crown Prince is out of danger, you’re finally back to your normal self. I’m happy to see that, My Lady.” Feiyan gazed at Yixing for a long moment before smiling gently. 

 

“Zhang Yixing, how is it you always see right through me?” She asked softly. Yixing hesitated for a moment before smiling faintly.

 

“Because...I am your man, am I not?” He replied. Feiyan’s eyes widened slightly, her heart jumping in her chest as he repeated the same words he had said to her in the forest. Turning around, she quickly fanned at her rapidly flushing cheeks.

 

Why am I feeling like this again?

 

“My Lady?” She heard Yixing ask, and quickly flapped a hand over her shoulder.

 

“You can return to your quarters! I’m just going to go inside my room now. I’ll yell if I need anything, you’ll hear me right?” She called. Yixing laughed softly.

 

“Of course, My Lady.” He replied. 

 

“Perfect! You are dismissed!” Feiyan replied before dashing up the stairs and hurrying into her rooms. Pushing the doors tightly shut behind her, Feiyan pressed a hand against her chest and blew out her breath as she felt her heart pounding under her trembling fingers. 

 

What is going on?

 

____________________________________________________________________________

Yixing

 

Yixing watched as Princess Feiyan closed the door behind her, suddenly in quite the hurry to get inside her rooms. A soft chuckle escaped his lips as he waited a few moments longer in case she stepped back outside, then sighed, the smile fading from his lips. His hand tightened around his sword, and he turned to face the circular archway that led into the princess’s courtyard.

 

“Come out, I know you’re there.” Yixing said coldly, “Wu Yifan.” A few moments later, a tall figure stepped out from the other side of the archway, and a smirk turned up the corner of Wu Yifan’s lips.

 

“You are indeed the top imperial guard in the palace.” Yifan commented, “When did you know I was there?” Yixing narrowed his eyes.

 

“From the moment you began following us after we left the crown prince’s quarters.” He replied, “I didn’t want to startle the princess, which is why I didn’t say anything. You must have left the rest of the men behind and rushed all the way here so you could catch us in time. It’s a shame though; whatever you intended to do, the Crown Prince is now alive and well.” A slight growl rose to Yixing’s lips as he regarded the man in front of him coldly.

 

“Now, don’t you think you have some explaining to do?” Yixing asked. Yifan seemed to think for a moment before smirking again.

 

“Explanation?” He repeated, “I suppose if you wanted one, then…” In a quick flash of motion, Yifan’s sword was out of its sheath, the silver surface of its metal material flashing in the sun and temporarily blinding Yixing as Yifan lunged right at Yixing. Barely managing to dodge out of the way, Yixing threw himself to the side, Yifan’s sword sailing harmlessly past him. 

 

“Wu Yifan, have you lost your mind?” Yixing demanded. Yifan’s eyes narrowed as he pointed his sword at Yixing.

 

“My apologies, Yixing.” The general said, “But in this situation, this is the only explanation I know how to give.” Yixing’s eyes narrowed, and he quickly rolled out of the way and to his feet as Yifan attacked him again, his hand neatly sliding his sword free in the process. 

 

If a fight is what he wants, then I surely will not back down!

 

As Yixing lunged at Yifan, his gaze flickered slightly towards the princess’s closed doors as their swords clashed loudly. If the princess stayed inside, she would be none the wiser of what was going on, but if she came outside...who knew what would happen? Yixing gritted his teeth and forcibly turned so that Yifan’s back was to the circular archway that originally led into the princess’s quarters. It was better to be safe than sorry. Clenching his hand tighter around his sword, Yixing began to shove Yifan backwards until they both flew out into the garden outside of the princess’s direct quarters. They each landed with a soft thump on one of the stone pathways crisscrossing the large lotus pond, the petals of the carefully planted flowers fluttering in the breeze raised by the two warrior’s sudden arrival. Yifan smirked.

 

“You truly are the princess’s loyal guard.” He sneered, “Even in a match like this you think for her first.” Yixing’s eyes narrowed.

 

“Unlike somebody, I know precisely where my heart should lie.” He retorted, raising his sword at Yifan, “Now tell me, what is going on?” Yifan responded by leaping into the air and lunging at him again, forcing Yixing to slide backwards to avoid being hit. It seemed that Yifan had no intention of answering his questions directly; each blow towards Yixing was struck with full strength and left no room for questioning whether this was a friendly match or one meant to draw blood. As much as Yixing hated to admit it, the fight was quickly tiring him out; the rushed travel over the past week had already left him exhausted, and now this fight was beginning to drain the remainder of his strength. Yixing stepped backwards again quickly and pivoted to avoid being cut by Yifan’s sword, but as he did so, his head began to spin, his vision blurring ever so slightly. Seizing the opening, Yifan lunged forward, the sword aimed directly at Yixing’s chest. Every instinct told Yixing to move, but with his feet thrown off balance and his head still spinning, Yixing found that his body wouldn’t listen to him. The tip of Yifan’s sword came closer, and then closer still, and then…

 

“Yixing!” Princess Feiyan’s horrified voice broke through the haze that had begun clouding over Yixing’s mind, the familiar voice tinged with terror and coming from a distance too close for comfort. The tip of Yifan’s sword stopped just before Yixing’s chest, so close that Yixing could see his reflection in its sleek surface. His legs giving out at last, Yixing fell to the cold stone path under him, his sword clattering down loudly next to him. Turning his head, he spotted a lithe figure dressed in a light green dress standing by the stairs leading from the circular archway, his chest tightening as he realized who had likely just witnessed everything. 

 

My Lady…

 

Princess Feiyan’s eyes were wide in shock, her hands clasped over in horror. Yixing bit back a groan. This was why he had lead the fight out here, but it seemed like someone had alerted the princess anyway. Taking a moment to steel herself, the princess rushed down the stairs and over to where the two men hadn’t moved from their earlier positions. 

 

“Wu Yifan!” She demanded, hands on her hips, “Put your sword away!” When Yifan didn’t move, Princess Feiyan growled and shoved at Yifan, but the much stronger man barely moved in response to her efforts.

 

“Get away from Yixing!” Princess Feiyan snapped, her expression furious. When Yifan again refused to move, Princess Feiyan huffed and promptly slapped him across the face.

 

“Wu Yifan!” She snarled, “Don’t you hear me? What has gotten into you? Are you going to refuse orders from the royal family now?” Slowly, Yifan turned his dark gaze to the princess, and Yixing saw the young girl jolt at the look in Yifan’s eyes. Still, she refused to move, and Yixing tensed, his hand reaching subtly for his sword; dizzy or not, if Yifan dared to so much as cut a hair on the princess’s head...then, Yifan’s expression relaxed ever so slightly, and he took a step away from the princess as he sheathed his sword as ordered. 

 

“Highness.” Yifan said, bowing politely to the princess.

 

“Just what is going on?” Princess Feiyan demanded.

 

“It was simply a friendly match.” Yifan lied smoothly. Princess Feiyan turned to look at Yixing behind her.

 

“Yixing?” She asked. At that moment, Yixing had the urge to tell his mistress everything he knew; his suspicions, what he had learned, everything. But with Yifan right in front of him, Yixing didn’t know where to begin without Yifan interrupting, especially with gaps in the flow of events that Yixing already knew about. So instead, Yixing simply shook his head ever so slightly, his gaze imploring the princess to understand. Princess Feiyan gazed at Yixing for a long moment before turning back around to glare at Yifan.

 

“Wu Yifan, you may be one of the best generals in the Qing army, but I hope you remember one thing.” She said firmly, “No matter how strong you are, you still owe your allegiance to the Aisin-Goro family. Nothing can change that.” She placed her hands on her hips and took another step closer to Yifan, anger flashing through her eyes.

 

“Zhang Yixing is mine. If anyone wants to hurt him, they’ll have to get my permission first. Do you understand?” Princess Feiyan stated, her tone leaving no room for anything for affirmation. Yifan stared directly at the princess for a long moment, far longer than it ever would have been proper for a subordinate when facing a member of the royal family. Yixing saw different emotions flicker across his gaze, then, Yifan took a step back and bowed to the princess.

 

“Of course, Your Highness.” Yifan replied simply. Princess Feiyan huffed in annoyance.

 

“Good.” She snapped. She reached down and helped Yixing to his feet, both of her small hands wrapping tightly around his upper arm to keep him steady as they headed towards her quarters. To his surprise, Yixing felt the princess’s fingers trembling ever so slightly against his arm, and as Yixing’s gaze rested on the princess’s face, he carefully took in Princess Feiyan’s pursed but still slightly trembling lips, the slight indent next to her lip that meant she was biting the inside of her cheek, and the way her eyes wavered ever so slightly as they turned away from Yifan.

 

She’s afraid.

 

Of course, it was natural. Princess Feiyan could be impetuous at times with a temper to boot, but at the end of the day, she was no warrior. 

 

How much bravery did she have to muster in that small body of hers to push herself to stand in front of one of the best warriors in the country while he was holding an unsheathed sword and yell at him as if she were the empress of Qing?

 

“Zhang Yixing.” Yixing paused and looked back at Yifan, who hadn’t moved from his position. A conflicted look had taken over Yifan’s face, his hand clenched tightly around his sword.

 

“Stay in your proper position by your princess, where you belong.” Yifan said, “As long as you keep to your place, I will keep to mine and won’t interfere with your matters.” Yixing sighed deeply, his lips pursing tightly before he responded.

 

“And if I insist on interfering with your matters?” He replied. Yifan swallowed hard.


“Then don’t blame me for being uncourteous.” He said, “This is the only warning I will be giving you.” Yixing’s eyes narrowed.

 

“Then I will give you a warning in return, Wu Yifan.” He replied, “If you try anything, anything at all, don’t expect me to stand by and do nothing.” Before Yifan could respond, Yixing turned and entered the princess’s quarters with his mistress, leaving the young general behind.

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Author's note: I hope no one thinks there's too much buildup! I plan to develop the underlying plot more in the next few chapters, so please stay tuned!