Chapter 12: I Will Protect You

Under a Golden Cage (Lay X OC) (Red String of Fate Series #2)

 

A few weeks later, Yixing

 

Under the peaceful blue cloudless sky one early morning, the sound of a young princess laughing in delight could be heard in the crisp morning air. Princess Feiyan sat astride a tall white horse, her eyes wide in delight as she gripped the horse’s reins carefully. Yixing sat upon a dark brown horse next to her, his watchful gaze taking in every small movement his mistress made in case she should happen to fall.

 

“Yixing, I’m so high up!” Princess Feiyan exclaimed, her eyes sparkling as she looked over at Yixing. Yixing smiled faintly at her, but his stance was tense as he gazed at the princess. He had no idea how the young princess had managed to convince the emperor to let her learn to ride, but here she was, precariously perched on top of a tall horse. Granted, Yixing was by her side and had been tasked with teaching her how to ride while guards stood around the surrounding area, but that did little to make him feel better about the whole situation.

 

“How do I make the horse start moving?” Feiyan asked, poking at the horse’s neck curiously. Yixing watched in amusement as the princess attempted multiple ways to make the horse go forward, until her poking became one poke too many and Princess Feiyan yelped as the horse began to rear up on its hind legs.

 

“My Lady!” Acting quickly, Yixing leaned over and wrapped his arm around the princess’s waist. In one swift motion, he yanked the princess over to his horse, the young royal landing squarely on the saddle in front of him. With the princess out of danger, Yixing reached out with his free hand and gently patted the white horse, who had begun snorting and pawing at the ground now that it was free of its rider.

 

“Woah there.” He soothed, “It’s okay, it’s okay. Calm down.” A stable boy quickly ran over to the anxious horse, and Yixing glared down at the young man.

 

“Are you out of your mind?” He demanded, “You should have given the princess the most docile horse in the entire stable! What were you thinking?” The young man ducked his head guiltily.

 

“I’m sorry, My Lord.” He mumbled. Yixing sighed and waved a hand at him.

 

“Bring another one, and this time pick carefully!” He ordered. The young man quickly led the horse away, and Yixing turned to tend to his mistress. Now that the immediate danger was over, he suddenly realized with a start that they had ended up in quite the...awkward position. In his haste to pull the princess to safety, Yixing had pulled her onto his saddle, and on instinct had kept his arm wrapped around her waist. That meant that this whole time, Princess Feiyan had been pressed to his chest, and her small hands were now clinging to his waist. Yixing felt his cheeks flush slightly, his heart hammering in his chest as his mind couldn’t help but wander to how perfectly the princess’s body fit against his, the soft scent of her flower perfume tickling his nose. Then, he mentally hit himself and shook his head.

 

Zhang Yixing, where is your mind going? Stop it!

 

Their current position wasn’t the most desirable position for a servant and master to be in, but it had nonetheless happened and now wasn’t the time for Yixing to make things worse by pointing out how awkward it was...or letting his mind wander. Steeling himself, he took a deep breath and returned to the matter at hand.

 

“My Lady, are you alright?” He asked. Princess Feiyan nodded without raising her head to look at him, but Yixing could feel her hands trembling against his waist. It was clear that the princess had been startled by the incident. Yixing hesitated for a moment, then moved his hand up and patted the princess gently on the back.

 

“It’s okay, My Lady.” He said, “It’s alright now, you’re safe.” Princess Feiyan paused and then looked up at him, her eyes wide.

 

“Is it always so dangerous to ride?” She asked. Yixing smiled reassuringly and shook his head.

 

“As long as you follow my directions, My Lady, you’ll be alright.” He said, “I apologize for not warning you about being careful.” Princess Feiyan shook her head.

 

“It’s not your fault.” She said, “You couldn’t have predicted that horse was so high strung.” The stable boy led a different horse over, and after giving it a careful visual examination, Yixing nodded, certain that this was the most calm horse he knew in the entire royal stable.

 

“My Lady, are you ready to try again?” He asked. Princess Feiyan thought for a moment before nodding, a small spark returning to her eyes.

 

“Yes!” She exclaimed.

________________________________________________________________________

 

Feiyan

 

After an afternoon of riding on a far more docile horse, Feiyan quickly all but forgot about the little incident that occurred in the beginning of her foray into horseback riding. When Luhan came to visit her that night, she spent the first hour of their dinner together chattering continuously about how fun it was to ride and how she was looking forward to riding again soon. After a while of listening to her consistent rambling, Luhan chuckled and pushed a piece of food into , effectively cutting off Feiyan’s chatter for a few seconds.

 

“Royal Sister, you’ve been talking more than eating dinner.” He teased, “Isn’t your mouth dry?” Feiyan huffed and quickly drank some tea before responding.

 

“Royal Brother, stop teasing me!” She protested. Luhan grinned playfully.

 

“I can’t help it, my little sister is too cute.” He replied. Feiyan huffed, but smiled in amusement at her brother.

 

“You’re ridiculous sometimes.” She simply said before returning to her food. After a few moments, Feiyan peeked up at her brother, a cheeky grin on her face. Luhan raised an eyebrow as he spotted his sister’s expression.

 

“You’re thinking of something and I’m not sure I want to know what it is.” He observed cautiously. Feiyan beamed and clapped her hands together.

 

“Royal Brother, I want a horse of my own!” She declared, “Can you help pick one out for me?” Luhan frowned.

 

“Sister, the royal stable is full of horses.” He said, “Why would you need one that is yours?” Feiyan shook her head.

 

“It’s different!” She insisted, “You and all the other princes have your own horse! Why can’t I? Just because I’m a princess doesn’t mean I can’t.” Luhan sighed and opened his mouth to protest again, but Feiyan latched onto his arm and gazed up at her brother.

 

“Please, Royal Brother?” She asked, “You are the crown prince! It can’t be that hard for you to ask for one horse for me!” Luhan gazed at his sister for a long moment, then sighed and ruffled her hair.

 

“There’s some new horses coming from Mongolia next week.” He said, “I’ll take a look and see if any of them are suitable for you.” Feiyan’s eyes widened in delight.

 

“Thank you, Royal Brother!” She exclaimed.

 

“I’m not making any promises.” Luhan warned, “Mongol horses are more wild than what you’re used to. It’s possible none of them are suitable for you.” Feiyan grinned.

 

“I’m sure Royal Brother will pick the best one for me!” She declared.

 

__________________________________________________________________________

 

As Luhan had said, a new set of horses arrived from Mongolia as tribute a week later. As promised, Luhan went to inspect the horses, and Feiyan waited excitedly for news from her brother about which horse was best for her. The news that she did receive a few days afterwards, however, was far from what she had expected.

 

“Your Highness!” Feiyan looked up as a maid rushed in, her face pale, “Your Highness, this is awful!” Feiyan frowned at the maid’s terrified expression.

 

“What has happened to make you look so afraid?” She asked. The maid’s eyes were wide.

 

“It’s the Crown Prince!” She cried, “The Crown Prince has fallen terribly ill!” Feiyan felt her heart drop and she sprang to her feet.

 

“What did you just say?”

 

____________________________________________________________________________

The Palace of Purity was bustling with royal physicians and servants when Feiyan arrived, Yixing following closely behind her. Before Feiyan could reach her brother, however, multiple guards and servants blocked her at the inner chamber entrance.

 

“Move aside!” Feiyan demanded, “I must see my brother!”

 

“Your Highness, no royalty is allowed inside.” One of the guards apologized, “It is the Royal Physician Bureau’s orders.” Feiyan huffed and stamped her foot.

 

“It makes no sense that I cannot see my own older brother!” She protested, but shoving against the guards’ arms blocking her way did little to make them move.

 

“Rongxian, listen to the physician’s orders.” Feiyan turned at the sound of her father’s voice and immediately bowed politely to the Emperor as he approached.

 

“Emperor Father, I must see my brother!” She protested, but her father held up his hand as the head physician stepped out.

 

“Physician Han, how is Luhan doing?” Emperor Kangxi asked, “May we see him?” The older man sighed deeply before nodding. Feiyan followed her father into the inner rooms of the Crown Prince’s quarters, a soft gasp escaping her lips as she caught sight of Luhan. Normally when she came to visit her brother, Luhan would turn and greet her with a warm smile as bright as the shining sun. Now however, the young Crown Prince lay unmoving in his bed, his cheeks flushed red with fever. Luhan’s hands were clenched tightly against his blanket, his expression clearly displaying the great discomfort that he was in.

 

“Fortunately, the prince did not catch a contagious disease.” Physician Han said, “But at the same time, I am afraid it will be very difficult to heal him.” The emperor frowned.

 

“What do you mean?” He demanded, “Speak clearly and explain yourself!” Physician Han clasped his hands together tightly in front of him.

 

“Based on the symptoms that the Crown Prince is showing, I am afraid he has developed spotted fever.” He replied, “This is a disease typically transmitted by a tick bite when people come into contact with animals with ticks on it. It is rarely seen in our Qing territory because of the climate and lifestyle, but it is commonly found in Mongolia.” The older man bowed his head.

 

“That also means...the royal physician bureau is not very sure how to treat the Crown Prince.” He admitted solemnly. Feiyan’s chest tightened at the physician’s words.

 

“Then...my brother’s life…?” She let her question trail off, but the old physician couldn’t meet her eyes.

 

“If he is not treated in time...the Crown Prince could lose his life.” He replied. Feiyan staggered back in shock and would have possibly fallen if not for Yixing’s strong hand on her shoulder steadying her. Yixing squeezed her lightly on the shoulder as Feiyan looked up at him, and Feiyan forced herself to be calm. It would do no good for her to faint right now. Finding a way to save Luhan was more important.

 

“Royal Brother hasn’t been to Mongolia recently.” She said, “How could he have gotten this disease?” Physician Han thought for a moment.

 

“While these tick populations would not grow in massive amounts here, it is possible for one to attach itself to a traveling animal and survive for a short period of time here.” He said, “Because the animals would not be hurt by the tick, it is hard for humans to notice its presence. Has His Highness been in contact with any animals recently?” Feiyan thought for a moment, then her eyes widened.

 

Animals...Mongolia...

 

“The horses…” She whispered. Emperor Kangxi turned to look at his daughter.

 

“What did you say, Rongxian?” He asked. Feiyan staggered slightly as she looked up at her father.

 

“Royal Father, I asked Royal Brother to get me a horse the other day and he said he’d look at the new herd coming in a few days ago.” She said, “Those horses...were from Mongolia.” Horror slowly overtook her as tears bubbled to her eyes.

 

“It was all my fault, Royal Father!” She cried, “He went to look at the horses because of me!” The emperor thought for a moment and then shook his head.

 

“No, Rongxian, it isn’t your fault.” He said, “Luhan would have gone to look at those horses anyway.” Feiyan shook her head furiously.

 

“No Royal Father, it is my fault!” She insisted, tears beginning to run down her face, “It’s all because of me that Royal Brother is now sick!”

 

“My Lady…” Yixing gently reached out and grasped her shoulder to steady her as Feiyan’s steps grew unsteady. Emperor Kangxi sighed and squeezed Feiyan’s hand.

 

“It’s not your fault, daughter.” He said, “Your brother will be fine, don’t worry.”

 

“No, Father, I-!” Feiyan was cut off as the emperor looked behind her at Yixing.

 

“Zhang Yixing, take the princess back to her quarters right now!” He ordered, “She is not in the right state of mind to be here right now.” Yixing bowed.

 

“Yes, Your Majesty.” He said. Feiyan attempted to push Yixing away as he laid a hand on her arm once more, but after a few moments of futile resistance, she heard Yixing sigh and he murmured softly under his breath.

 

“My apologies, My Lady.” He said, and before Feiyan could think of what he meant, he reached down and promptly picked her up into his arms, one arm tucked securely around her waist, the other under her legs.

 

“Zhang Yixing, put me down!” Feiyan shrieked in surprise, but the young man simply ignored her, and carried her away from the Crown Prince’s quarters.

 

__________________________________________________________________________

 

“Zhang Yixing!” Feiyan’s voice echoed through the halls of her quarters as Yixing carried her swiftly to her rooms. The young guard aptly ignored his mistress’s protests as he carried her to her bed, and easily sat her down on the soft surface. As soon as he let her go, Feiyan attempted to get up again, only to be pushed back down to her seat by Yixing’s strong grasp.

 

“My Lady, calm down!” He said firmly. Feiyan glared up at him.

 

“How can I be calm when my brother is dying?” She snapped, “How dare you take me away from there! Are you my personal guard or the emperor’s?”

 

“I took you away precisely because I am your guard!” Yixing snapped, “You are in no state to be there right now!”

 

“I don’t care!” Feiyan cried as she pushed at Yixing’s hands futilely, “It’s all because of me that Royal Brother is like that right now! I don’t care what any of you say!”

 

“Aisin-Goro Feiyan!” Feiyan jumped slightly as Yixing shouted her full name, her protests dying at her lips from the shock of hearing him say it. In the entirety of their ten years together, Yixing had been nothing short of respectful; the only way he had ever addressed her was “My Lady” and nothing more. That he would dare to say it now...it meant that he was being very, very, serious. Yixing was done trying to calmly soothe her. Still, she was not about to be cowed by an imperial guard, even if it was her own guard. Feiyan straightened her back and glared up at Yixing.

 

“What?” She demanded. Yixing sighed deeply.

 

“I do not understand why you keep insisting it is your fault.” He said, “The Crown Prince is a responsible man who likes to involve himself in everything from the smallest to the most important matters. Even if you hadn’t asked him to look at the horses, he would have gone to inspect them anyway.” Feiyan opened to protest but he held up a hand to stop her.

 

“And even if it is your fault, deciding whose fault it is shouldn’t be the most important task right now.” He continued, “What is important now is to find a way to cure the Crown Prince before his situation gets worse. As to whose fault it is, that can be investigated later.” Yixing’s gaze softened as he knelt down and rested his hands lightly on Feiyan’s knees.

 

“My Lady, the Crown Prince would not want to see you like this right now.” He said softly, “You are the princess of the great Qing empire. You must be strong.” Although Yixing’s tone had been harsh, Feiyan knew that he was right. Now that she was away from the chaos that was her brother’s palace, the haze that had settled over her mind was beginning to clear, the logic of Yixing’s words settling in. Still, the image of Luhan lying in bed ill, possibly because of her, was enough to send tears bubbling back into her eyes. A soft finger brushed against her cheek, and Feiyan blinked as she realized that Yixing had reached over and brushed a tear off her cheek.

 

“Don’t cry, My Lady.” He said gently, “We’ll find a way to save the prince.” Feiyan sniffed and nodded, then hesitated before wrapping her hands around Yixing’s larger hand, which was still resting on her knee.

 

“Yixing...will you help me save my brother?” She asked quietly. Yixing smiled and squeezed her hand reassuringly.

 

“Of course, My Lady.” He replied.

 

____________________________________________________________________________

Yixing

 

After coaxing Princess Feiyan to eat some food and take a nap, Yixing returned to his room a few doors down, deep in thought. Opening his closet, he located a small object he had hidden at the back of the shelf and held it up in the afternoon sun. Yixing’s long fingers carefully traced the characters that had been carefully carved into the bronze token. It was strange; he could swear he had never been taught to read Mongol characters before, but the deep lines seemed both so familiar and unfamiliar at the same time. Yixing sighed deeply and tucked the token into his waistband. It was time to make good use of his connections.

 

___________________________________________________________________________

The tension in the air was palpable as Yixing arrived at Mentality Hall and asked for an audience with the emperor. Yixing bowed politely to the emperor after he was allowed inside.

 

“Your Majesty.” He greeted, “Are you planning to send soldiers to Mongolia to obtain the medicine to cure the Crown Prince?” Emperor Kangxi looked surprised.

 

“Indeed, I am.” He replied, “I intend to send a messenger ahead to inform the Khan of the situation so they can deliver the medicine to the border.” Yixing shook his head.

 

“Your Majesty, I have a different idea, if I may share it.” He said. Emperor Kangxi thought for a moment before waving his hand for Yixing to continue. Yixing took a deep breath before speaking.

 

“Your Majesty, everyone knows that it is important for Qing and Mongolia to maintain their peaceful relationship.” He said, “If you only send a messenger to the border, your letter will have to switch through many hands before it reaches the Khan. Who knows when someone will interfere and modify its contents? The incident with Princess Feiyan last time is enough to prove that Ming rebels are still hiding in the capital, and who knows where else they are? If Mongolia gets the wrong impression that we are accusing them of causing the Crown Prince to fall sick, it is possible that war could break out, and Your Majesty surely would not want that.” The emperor looked thoughtful as he nodded.

 

“Go on.” He said.

 

“Your Majesty, the only way to prevent that from happening is to send at most a small group to Mongolia, someone who can be trusted to cross the border and reach the Khan without any interference by those who wish to stir up strife between the two countries.” Yixing continued, “That person can then bring back the medicine.” The emperor gazed at him for a long moment before speaking.

 

“Zhang Yixing, are you hinting that you would like to go?” He asked. Yixing smiled faintly and bowed.

 

“Your Majesty is very intelligent.” He replied, “You saw right through me.” The emperor looked slightly amused.

 

“And why should I trust you out of all the capable men in my court for this important task?” He asked. Yixing thought carefully for a moment before responding. He reached into his waistband and pulled out the token from Princess Sarnai.

 

“First, before I parted with Princess Sarnai, she gave me this.” He said, “This is a pass that I can use to smoothly pass through all the checkpoints on the way to the main Mongolian camp. If I go to fetch the medicine with this in hand, the process will become far more smoother. The Mongol people are more likely to trust me and not get the wrong idea that we are blaming them for the Crown Prince’s illness.” Yixing hesitated before continuing.

 

“And second...I would like to do this for Princess Rongxian.” He continued, “She is my mistress, and I am her personal guard. I am not only responsible for her physical safety, but for her mental stability and emotional happiness. If anything happens to the Crown Prince’s life, she would never recover, especially since she is already convinced she is the reason why this all happened.” Yixing bowed deeply to the emperor.

 

“Your Majesty, I ask you to please let me go to Mongolia.” He said. The emperor was silent for a long moment before speaking.

 

“You are quite daring, Zhang Yixing.” The emperor finally said, “You dare to speak of your care for Rongxian after I tried to send you away last time?” Yixing ducked his head.

 

“Your Majesty, I am aware of my position and I do not intend to stray from it.” He said, “I only wish for the princess to be happy, and to repay the Crown Prince for the kindness he has shown me. If Your Majesty is willing, I would like to use this opportunity to make up for causing Your Majesty to fear that I was becoming too close to the princess.” Yixing was aware that his words were bold; it was rarely a good idea to guess what a sovereign ruler was thinking. But with so much on the line, he had little choice but to take a risk. He could feel the emperor’s gaze burning into him as he waited with bated breath for the emperor’s response, then he heard the older man sigh.

 

“Very well.” The emperor finally said, “I will give you this one chance. Do not waste it.” Yixing smiled and bowed gratefully.

 

“I surely will not, Your Majesty.” He replied.

 

“Someone will have to watch over Rongxian while you are gone.” The emperor mused, “Do you have someone in mind who would be suitable to take your place for the timebeing?” Before Yixing could answer the question, a female voice interrupted from behind him.

 

“There’s no need for that, because I’m going with him.” Yixing turned in shock at the voice, his eyes widening in surprise.

 

“My Lady?”