Chapter 1: The man by her side

Under a Golden Cage (Lay X OC) (Red String of Fate Series #2)

 

 

Qing Dynasty, Year 1700

 

The soft chirp of birds filled the air, the sweet sound carrying across the cloudless blue sky and over the golden red walls of the royal palace. The murmurs of servants rushing to fulfill their various tasks created a gentle hum in the air, merging with the clanging of various pieces of equipment and hurrying footsteps of slippered feet. In one palace near the center of the Forbidden City though, a different sound filled the usually serene grounds.

 

“Princess!”

 

“Your Highness! Please come down!”

 

“Your Highness! It’s dangerous! What will we do if you fall?” The concerned cries of a group of maids clustered by a tall oak tree could be heard across the main courtyard as they gazed up worriedly at their mistress.

 

“Your Highness!!” Their mistress was Aisin-Goro Rongxian, also called Feiyan after her boundless energy and bright smiles, and the third and most beloved princess of the currently reigning Kangxi Emperor. Said princess was currently perched on one of the highest tree branches, her lips pursed tightly as she reached for a bird’s nest sitting near the end of the thick branch. In her small hand she held a tiny baby bird, which had fallen from the nest and had no way of getting back up.

 

“Shush!” Feiyan yelled down at them, “You’re ruining my concentration!” She bit her lip as she strained to reach the nest.

 

“Just a little closer…” She mumbled as she stretched out her arm, her body leaning precariously forward. Finally, with a slight huff as she hopped forward, Feiyan’s hand reached the edge of the nest and she quickly deposited the baby bird back with its siblings.

 

“Much better.” Feiyan said with a grin as she settled back in satisfaction. As she sat back though, her grip on the slick tree branch slipped, and she quickly found herself falling off the tall oak tree.

 

“Your Highness!” Her maids shrieked in fear. Feiyan cried out as she reached for something to grab onto, but her hands only grasped at empty air. After a few seconds of falling, there was the sound of rushing wind by her ear, and Feiyan suddenly found herself grasped securely in a pair of strong arms.

 

“Being mischievous again, my lady? That was quite the close call.” A male voice murmured in her ear, and Feiyan opened her eyes cautiously to see a familiar face gazing down at her, an amused smirk playing across the man’s handsome face.

 

“Yixing!” She exclaimed, her grasp tightening instinctively around the young royal soldier even as they landed safely on the ground.

 

“What were you doing up there, my lady?” Yixing asked as he placed the young princess on her feet.

 

“I was returning a baby bird to its nest!” Feiyan replied simply, brushing off her clothes. Yixing raised an eyebrow inquisitively.

 

“And you couldn’t have asked one of the maids to do that?” He asked, “Or used a ladder?” Feiyan thought about it for a moment and quickly realized that Yixing was right. That did not mean she had to admit it, however.

 

“Are you questioning your mistress?” She huffed, “Don’t step across the line, Yixing!” Yixing chuckled and bowed politely.

 

“Of course not, my lady.” He replied, “But as your personal bodyguard, I am only concerned about your safety.” Feiyan huffed and crossed her arms.

 

“Then, why was my personal bodyguard off talking with General Wu instead of by my side?” She asked. Yixing chuckled softly.

 

“Your Highness, you know why.” He replied. Feiyan grumbled and turned her back to him.

 

“I know.” She replied reluctantly, “The General admires your skills and since you refuse to leave your current post to join his army, he had to settle on discussing military issues with you on the side instead.” Her lower lip stuck out in a pout.

 

“Still, don’t you know what today is? How could you go and leave me all alone until now?” She complained, “I was looking for you all morning! Don’t you know that-” Feiyan’s voice cut off as a packet of sweets appeared in front of her. Her eyes widened as she stared at the white powdery candy.

 

“Dragon’s Beard Candy!” Feiyan exclaimed in delight. Yixing chuckled as he came around to face her.

 

“I sent a maid to go buy it while I was speaking to Yifan.” He said, “It’s your favorite, isn’t it?” Feiyan felt a smile spread uncontrollably over her face as she plucked a sweet from the box and popped it into .

 

“How did you know I wanted to eat this candy?” She asked. Yixing chuckled softly as he watched her eat.

 

“My lady, I have been by your side for ten years.” He replied, “If I couldn’t even tell such a small thing, that would be an utter failure on my part.” Feiyan grinned and nodded in agreement.

 

“That is a good answer.” She replied. Yixing wasn’t wrong; he was her personally picked bodyguard, and had followed her like a shadow since they were both very young. If anyone knew Feiyan best, it was Yixing.

 

“Am I forgiven for leaving you alone on New Year’s morning?” Yixing asked softly. Feiyan tapped a finger against her cheek as she rolled the sweet around .

 

“I suppose I will give the candy some face.” She replied teasingly, plucking the box from Yixing’s hands, “Walk back to my rooms with me.” Yixing smiled and bowed.

 

“Of course, my lady.” He replied. Feiyan hummed a soft tune as she strode alongside Yixing on the way back to her room. As they walked, she couldn’t help but peek up at the taller man next to her. Her royal bodyguard had chosen to wear a dark navy blue robe today, accented by a small silver and blue headpiece that ensconced his topknot. The rest of his hair fell smoothly down his back, the ends fluttering slightly in the breeze stirred by his footsteps. If Feiyan looked closely though, she could still see traces of the round cheeked, wide eyed young boy who had walked by her side a decade earlier.

 

“Is there something on my face, my lady?” Yixing asked, startling the young princess from her thoughts.

 

“You saw me looking?” Feiyan asked, eyes widening. Yixing laughed softly.

 

“Highness, I didn’t train with the best general in the army for nothing.” He replied, “Surely, you knew that since you were the one who sent me.” Feiyan laughed.

 

“I suppose that’s right.” She replied. Yixing always knew the perfect words to say, and although she had been quite grumpy at him a few minutes ago, that mood had all but disappeared in the silhouette of his shadow on the ground next to her. Feiyan paused as they entered the innermost chambers in Flowing River Palace, the chambers set aside for Feiyan’s personal use.

 

“Yixing.” She said with a smile, “Do you remember what today is?” Yixing frowned slightly as he pondered over the question.

 

“Today is New Year’s, my lady.” He replied. Feiyan grinned and shook her head.

 

“No!” She rebuffed teasingly, “Today is also another day!” She clapped her hands, and a maid walked up with a tray in her hand. Feiyan took the tray from her hands and pulled off the cloth covering the tray with a flourish.

 

“This is for you.” She declared. Yixing stared at the tray, his eyes widening slightly. An elegant sword scabbard lay on the tray in Feiyan’s hands, the silver swirls engraved into the soft cherry wood sparkling in the sunlight. It was simple, yet artfully decorated at the same time, made so that it would not get into his way during a fight, but signaling his valued status all the same.

 

“It is beautiful, my lady.” He breathed, “But what have I done to deserve such a beautiful gift?” Feiyan laughed.

 

“Silly Yixing.” She teased, “Have you forgotten your own birthday? You mentioned your scabbard is getting rather worn, didn’t you?” Yixing stared at her for a moment, then grinned.

 

“It seems that I have indeed forgotten.” He replied. Feiyan grinned and extended the gift out to him.

 

“Imperial Guard Yixing, come forward to accept your gift.” She announced with a smile. Yixing grinned, then knelt on one knee with his hands outstretched towards her.

 

“I thank Your Highness for your grace.” He said. Feiyan placed the scabbard into his hands, then watched as he admire the handiwork done on it.

 

“Yixing.” She said softly, “As of today, it’s been exactly ten years since you came to my side.” Yixing looked up from the scabbard, a warm smile turning up the corner of his lips as he nodded.

 

“Indeed, it has been.” He said, “Time goes by fast, doesn’t it?” Feiyan smiled and nodded.

 

“Do you still remember how we first met?” She asked. Yixing thought about it for a moment, then nodded.

 

“Of course.” He said, “It was also on a beautiful sunny day like today, exactly ten years ago.”

 

____________________________________________________________________________

Ten years ago, 1690

 

A soft giggle escaped eight year old Princess Feiyan’s lips as she peeked around the corner of the wall to check for guards before rushing headlong along the outside path to the next corner she could hide around. Her personal maid followed closely by her side, but continuously tugged on the edge of Feiyan’s sleeve.

 

“Your Highness, we really shouldn’t be out here!” She whispered urgently, “What if Auntie Yu sees us?” Auntie Yu was one of the elder servants assigned to watch over the young princess, and made sure to teach her everything from etiquette to writing and painting. Feiyan waved a hand at her to shush

“I do not care what Auntie Yu will think!” She stated firmly, “I heard that the generals are training a new batch of recruits for the imperial guard today! It should be lots of fun to watch!” Indeed, between lessons day in and day out, the princess was beginning to get bored out of her mind. She had always been curious about how the imperial guards were trained, and now was her perfect chance to see it for herself! Before the maid could make another fuss, Feiyan dragged her further down the hall and to where the new recruits were supposed to be staying. As she approached, Feiyan could hear the sound of young voices shouting followed by an unfamiliar consistent thumping noise. As she peeked into the entrance, Feiyan’s eyes widened at what she saw. In the middle of the barracks where the new recruits were housed, a large group of young boys stood surrounding something that Feiyan couldn’t see. What she could see though, was that said group of boys was currently kicking and beating what they were surrounding, and as Feiyan looked closer, she could make out the shape of another young boy rolling on the ground under the attack. Her eyes narrowed, and her hands clenched into fists. Where were the generals? Where were the instructors? Weren’t they supposed to be watching over the new recruits? Before Feiyan could stop herself, she stepped forward into the barracks.

 

“Stop!” She yelled, “Stop that right now!” The boys stopped to look at her, slightly taken aback by the little girl standing by the entrance. Then, one of them scoffed and smirked at Feiyan.

 

“Little girl, who are you?” He sneered, “If you know what is good for you, stay out of the way. This street rat dared to insult our noble families! It’s only right that we teach him a lesson so that he knows his place!” Feiyan came closer despite the boys’ expressions, and gazed for a moment at the young boy lying in the dirt. He was a small, scrawny thing, and looked barely older than herself.

 

“What is your name?” She asked the boy, “What did you say to these new recruits?” The boy peeked up at her, and Feiyan found herself staring into a pair of large brown eyes. Despite his skinniness, Feiyan could tell that he was a good looking boy. Besides his large brown eyes, he had soft slightly rounded cheeks that were currently smeared with dirt, and a gently sloping nose that sat over a pair of slightly bowshaped lips. Said lips were currently pursed together in a firm line, its owner staying stubbornly silent. The boy who had spoken first crossed his arms.

 

“He is a street rat without a name.” He answered Feiyan’s question, “As for what he said, he said that we were no better than him, despite our good family backgrounds. Now if you’ll excuse us, we’re going to finish teaching him a lesson.” Feiyan planted herself firmly in front of the fallen boy.

 

“He is a new recruit just like all of you!” She reminded him, “Perhaps one day, he will be the one to save your life!” The boy only laughed at her words.

 

“That will only happen if he even survives training first!” He sneered, “Now stop getting in the way!” He reached out to push Feiyan away, only to be stopped by a larger hand. All the children looked up, and the boys immediately backed away as they saw who had stopped the first bully. A pleased smile spread across Feiyan’s lips.

 

“General Han, where have you been?” She demanded, putting her hands on her hips. The older man smiled and bowed politely.

 

“My apologies, Your Highness.” He said, “I was called away by a sudden urgent matter, but I did not expect the boys to get into a fight while I was gone.” General Han glared down at the boy in his grasp.

 

“You!” He growled, “How dare you try to push Princess Rongxian! All of you apologize to her right now!” The boys immediately looked terrified as they realized who Feiyan was, and quickly fell to their feet in front of the princess.

 

“Please forgive us!” They cried together. Feiyan huffed and crossed her arms.

 

“General Han, I expect that you will give them the punishment they deserve for bullying one of their own.” She declared, “I have always been taught by my Emperor Father that no matter what a person’s status is, they deserve their own respect! And I don’t think calling someone a street rat would count!” The boys all ducked their heads in shame as General Han glared at them, and Feiyan strode over to pull the boy in the dirt to his feet.

 

“Come with me.” She ordered, keeping a firm grip on his sleeve. The boy stared at her, his eyes wide and uncertain.

 

“Where?” He asked, speaking for the first time. Feiyan raised an eyebrow.

 

“So you do know how to talk.” She commented, “Come on, I’m going to get your cuts cleaned up. I’ve always heard that it is best to have them treated as soon as possible.” With a quick swish of her head, Feiyan turned and promptly hauled the young boy out of the barracks before he could make a single sound of protest.

 

_________________________________________________________________________

After stopping by the royal physician’s bureau, Feiyan took the boy to the royal garden and sat him down under one of the trees.

 

“Doesn’t it feel better to be cleaned up?” She asked as she handed him a cup of water from her maid. The boy ducked his head as he accepted the water.

 

“Thank you, Your Highness.” He mumbled. Feiyan poked at his cheek curiously.

 

“Do you really not have a name?” She asked, “I thought everyone in this world is supposed to have a name.” The boy ducked his head again.

 

“My only memories are of being on the street begging for food.” He replied, “The beggars only call me ‘boy’. If I had not happened to help General Han retrieve his money pouch one day, he would not have thought to bring me into the palace.” Feiyan’s eyes widened.

 

“But you are so young! You helped General Han get his money pouch back?” She exclaimed. A tiny smile turned up the corner of the boy’s lips as he nodded.

 

“I learned how to fight on the street.” He said, “If you do not protect yourself there, you will never have enough to eat.” Feiyan clapped her hands in delight.

 

“That is amazing!” She exclaimed, “Can you tell me more? I have never been outside of the palace before!” The boy looked up at her hesitantly.

 

“I am afraid I might scare Your Highness.” He protested. Feiyan shook her head.

 

“Tell me, tell me!” She insisted excitedly. And so, the nameless young boy acceded to her request. For hours, he told Feiyan all about his life on the streets and about the things that he had done before. Feiyan was amazed by what the boy knew; no one ever dared to tell her about the world outside, so every story was completely amazing to her. After a few hours, Feiyan was called back to her chambers by Auntie Yu, and the nameless boy finally had to return to the military barracks. Before he left, Feiyan squeezed him on the shoulder.

 

“From now on, don’t let any of those bad people bully you anymore!” She said firmly, “You have to stand up for yourself! If you don’t fight back, you’ll never get anywhere!” The nameless boy looked at her hesitantly.

 

“But Highness, they are all nobles.” He said, “They are far better trained than I. I dare not do anything beyond what my words can convey.” Feiyan shook her head and planted her hands on her hips.

 

“Who cares about that?” She declared, “Now that you are in the palace, all of those boys are new recruits just like you! Status from before entering the palace no longer matters. Do you understand?” The boy hesitated for another moment, then smiled as he nodded.

 

“Thank you, Your Highness.” He said, with a quick bow. Feiyan grinned and patted him on the shoulder before dashing off to where Auntie Yu waited. As she reached the top of the hill, she turned back and gazed down at the young boy. His eyes were sparkling in the morning sun, and a faint smile brought out two dimples on his cheeks. Feiyan grinned as she hurried off. Somehow, she had a feeling this wasn’t going to be the last time she saw the nameless little boy.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Author's note: Hello again! This is part two to my three lifetimes fanfic involving Yixing and Feiyan. I'm still working on finishing the other unrelated Yixing story so the updates may be a litle slow, but I was getting ideas for this and wanted to get it out here before I forgot. Please subscribe and comment if you find the premise interesting! The backstory of how they met will be finished in the second chapter.