Chapter 14: Memory Lane

Under a Golden Cage (Lay X OC) (Red String of Fate Series #2)

 

The next day, nighttime

 

Yixing blew out his breath slowly as he approached the Khan’s tent, then stepped inside and bowed politely to the Mongol ruler.

 

“Your Majesty.” He greeted. The older man turned from where he was polishing a curved piece of metal.

 

“Ah, you are here.” He said, “Has Mongolia been treating you well?” Yixing smiled and nodded.

 

“Your Majesty already arranged for everything, how could I not be living comfortably here?” He replied, “The princess has also been telling me that she likes it here.” The Khan looked at him for a long moment before nodding thoughtfully.

 

“You are very close with Princess Rongxian, aren’t you?” He noted, “Tell me, how did you end up by her side?” Yixing blinked in surprise, taken off guard by the sudden question.

 

“Why does Your Majesty ask?” He replied. The Khan chuckled.

 

“It is rare to see a servant and master relationship like yours.” He answered, “Anyone with eyes can see that the princess values you over everyone else, and that you care about her very much as well. From what Sarnai told me when she returned, chaos nearly broke out when the Qing emperor almost successfully had you leave Princess Rongxian’s side.” The Khan’s gaze was thoughtful as he gazed at Yixing.

 

“You are no ordinary imperial guard, Zhang Yixing.” He said, “So won’t you satisfy this old man’s curiosity about how this all came to be?” Yixing stared in surprise at the Khan before laughing.

 

“Your Majesty is quite perceptive.” Yixing said, “But you are certainly not old.” The Khan laughed at his statement.

 

“It seems the princess taught you to have a sweet tongue as well.” He commented. Yixing chuckled and thought briefly over what he should say before speaking. The Khan was known to be a kind and wise ruler who truly cared for his people; surely, it would not hurt to tell him how Yixing had come to stand by the princess’s side. 

 

“All I have, and all that I am, is thanks to My Lady.” Yixing finally said, “When I was nothing but a street rat with no name and no background who happened to be brought into the palace by chance, she didn’t care about any of that but instead chose me to be her personal guard. She protected me against the noble children who looked down on me, and gave me the chance to receive the best training. For ten years, she has given me nothing but the best, and never treats me as someone lower on the social ladder.” It was strange; Yixing had just met the Khan two days ago, but the words seemed to flow so easily from his lips. The Khan, for some reason, held an air of familiarity to Yixing, and that seemed to make the conversation flow all the more easier. 

 

“And so,” Yixing concluded, “I will always be loyal to Princess Rongxian for the entirety of my life. Whatever the princess wants me to do, I will surely do it, even if it costs me my life.” Although he was smiling, the Khan had an odd look on his face as Yixing finished.

 

“The princess is certainly in good hands.” He said, “But you said you were a street rat before? You don’t know who your parents are or how you ended up on the streets?” Yixing shook his head.

 

“No, I have no memory of my past before living on the streets.” He replied. Why was the Khan suddenly asking him about that? Had Princess Sarnai told him about her suspicions? If she did, the Mongol princess had said nothing about it to Yixing when he had arrived. The Khan’s expression was gentle as he smiled and patted Yixing on the shoulder.

 

“You have suffered, child.” He said, “But it is good that you found a kind master to serve. You will surely live a good life by the princess’s side.” Yixing smiled and nodded in agreement. 

 

“Now…” The Khan turned behind him and picked up a small sword. He ran his gaze carefully over it before handing it to Yixing.

 

“Let me see if you have the skills worthy of standing by the Qing princess’s side.” The Khan said. Normally, Yixing would have found it strange and slightly insulting that a foreigner, even a sovereign, wanted to test his ability to protect his mistress. After all, there wasn’t a single person in the entire Qing palace who doubted his capabilities; what right did a foreigner have to do that? This time though, Yixing found himself laughing slightly in amusement instead, and took the sword from the Khan. It was a beautifully made weapon, clearly crafted from the finest materials and decorated with elegant swirling designs that had been drawn in while the metal was still soft in the forge. The handle fit perfectly into Yixing’s hand and followed the curvature of Yixing’s palm exactly. It was as if the sword had been custom made just for him. Yixing allowed himself to gaze a little longer at the weapon before he held it back out to the Khan, his head bowed respectfully.

 

“I cannot use this, Your Majesty.” Yixing said, “I will not wield a weapon against another country’s sovereign in a friendly sparring match.” 

 

“Oh?” The Khan looked amused as he took the sword back, “The princess has taught you well. You are a well mannered boy. Then do you intend to fight with your fists alone?” Yixing looked up and smiled slightly.

 

“My fists will be more than enough, Your Majesty.” He replied. If he had been speaking with Emperor Kangxi, Yixing would have never dared to say something so cheeky. But this time, something told him that it was alright. The Khan looked surprised for a moment before bursting into laughter. 

 

“You are a confident young man!” He declared, “I admire that about you, Zhang Yixing.” Yixing allowed his smile to grow at the praise. 

 

“Thank you, Your Majesty.”

 

_________________________________________________________________________

 

Thwack!

Yixing stumbled slightly as the force of the Khan’s blow sent him reeling. Although neither man was using a weapon, and the Khan’s fist had only connected with Yixing’s palm, it was enough to throw the younger man off balance. Yixing quickly caught his balance and stared at the Khan in surprise. He had long heard of the Mongol people’s fighting capabilities, but this...even without a weapon in hand, the Khan would be quite the formidable opponent on the battlefield, perhaps even one that Yixing would rather not come across.

 

“Are you afraid already, boy?” The Khan asked, a smirk on his face, “Surely, that is not the limit of the most favored princess’s personal guard.” Yixing gazed at the Khan for a long moment. Normally, he would have found it irritating that he was being challenged, almost taunted by someone else, no matter who it was. This time, however, just like when the Khan had said he wanted to test Yixing’s skills, Yixing felt amused and spurred to continue fighting by the Khan’s words. 

 

“I have no reason to be afraid, Your Majesty.” Yixing replied smoothly before lunging at the Mongol ruler. It might have sounded strange to someone else, but sparring with the Khan evoked a sense of familiarity in Yixing, and even...warmth. Yixing found himself laughing as he and the Khan alternated in exchanging blows and blocking each other’s movements, and the older man looked equally amused by the current match.Then, as Yixing swung backwards to avoid the Khan’s next blow and then flipped neatly to land behind the Khan, he began to feel strange. Like the time he had sparred with Princess Sarnai, Yixing’s vision began to blur and images began to flash across his mind. While this was surely the first time he had sparred with the Mongol Khan, each exchanged blow was also beginning to feel increasingly familiar. 

 

Good! That is the way you should do it!

 

A man’s voice echoed in Yixing’s head, but he couldn’t place who it was or who the voice was speaking to.

 

Come on boy, you can do better than that. Don’t think of me as your father! I am your enemy right now!

 

Yixing staggered slightly, his footsteps faltering as snippets of fragmented conversation continued to rush through his head. 

 

Remember, you are a warrior! A warrior can’t ever be afraid of fighting!

 

Pain stabbed at Yixing’s head as the voice spoke again, and he closed his eyes in a useless attempt to drive away the sudden headache. His heart pounded loudly in his ears and his chest tightened as he struggled to breathe, his eyes seeing nothing but flashing images moving under the darkness of his closed eyes. 

 

A young boy, dressed in Mongolian styled clothing, running along a grassy green hill.

 

The same young boy, sparring playfully with a much younger version of the Mongol Khan, a delighted smile on his face as he did so. 

 

The young boy, paired with a younger little girl, sitting together and clapping their hands to the upbeat drumming of a Mongol festival, their eyes glittering in delight as they watched dancers move around the large bonfire. 

 

The young boy, moving curiously among the trees surrounding camp territory, his eyes wide in wonder.

 

“Fengmian! Fengmian, don’t go too far!” The voice was warm and gentle, coated with the love that only a mother could have for her child.

 

“I won’t, Royal Mother! I’ll be right back!” 

 

Yixing gasped as he was overwhelmed with the sudden onslaught of sounds and images, a pained cry escaping his lips. 

 

What is this? What am I seeing? Are these...memories? Could they be...my memories? 

 

In his mind, he saw the same young boy standing on a hilltop, his smile fading from his lips as a large group of men on horseback rushed towards him. The little boy turned and ran towards the safety of his home, but his little legs were no match for the speed of the horses. In one swoop, the little boy was picked up with one hand by the leader of the men on horseback, and swung like a bag of flower onto the saddle. 

 

“Let me go, you rebels!” The little boy screamed, but his cries were promptly ignored.

 

“Mother!” The little boy wailed, “ Mother!! Father Khan!” 

 

“Zhang Yixing!” Yixing’s eyes flew open as a voice called his name, and the Khan’s concerned face slowly swam into Yixing’s cloudy vision. As Yixing’s gaze focused on the Khan, it was as if he was taken back in time, and Yixing felt like he was almost looking at the younger Mongol ruler who had been playing peacefully with his son. The image evoked an unfamiliar feeling in Yixing’s chest, one of yearning and odd familiarity mixed with many other emotions that welled up in Yixing as he gazed at the Khan. 

 

“Fengmian? My son, are you alright?” 

 

The younger Khan’s voice echoed in Yixing’s head again, painfully twisting in Yixing’s chest like a vise and sending tears rising to his eyes.

 

“Zhang Yixing, what’s wrong?” The Khan asked worriedly, laying a soothing hand on Yixing’s shoulder. Yixing felt himself stagger again as dizziness began to overlay the aching pain in his head. Although he wasn’t sure where it came from, a single word floated to Yixing’s lips.

 

“Father…” He whispered. Then, darkness overtook his vision, and Yixing collapsed to the ground.

____________________________________________________________________________

 

Fengmian!

 

In his dreams, Yixing heard someone call out that name again. Whose name was it? Who was calling to him?

 

Fengmian! Come here, my son.

 

Mother…

 

The word rose to his mind out of nowhere, but somehow Yixing knew for certain that the gentle voice belonged to his mother. 

 

Royal Brother! Royal Brother, you’re home!

 

A younger, female voice called out to him, just as familiar as it had been the last time he had heard it.

 

Sister…

 

Images flashed behind the darkness of Yixing’s closed eyes, both familiar and unfamiliar at the same time. It was as if Yixing was watching someone’s life play out in front of him, but in a way, he already knew the plot line. At the end of the images flashing through his mind, Yixing saw the young prince that he had seen before become captured by rebels. Then, as he had fought to escape after the rebels sold him to slave traders, he managed to escape, but hit his head as he fell off the horse, and was soon left behind for dead by the traders.

 

Are these...memories?

 

Whose memories are these?

 

Mine…?

 

Yes...that would explain why everything is so familiar.

 

Then...I...I am really the lost prince? 

 

I...am Fengmian.

 

____________________________________________________________________________

Yixing awoke with a start and sat up quickly in bed, the sudden movement sending servants scattering and his blankets falling to the ground. 

 

“Imperial Guard Zhang!” A familiar figure hurried to his side and laid a gentle hand on his arm.

 

“It’s alright.” Princess Sarnai said soothingly, “It’s okay. This is my father’s tent.” Yixing stared at the princess for a long moment as his pounding heart slowly returned to normal.

 

“Sister…” The word rose to his lips automatically, pushing aside the little part of him that still told him to address her by title. Princess Sarnai stared at him in a mixture of surprise and confusion.

 

“What did you just call me?” She asked slowly. 

 

“Princess…” Yixing said softly, hesitantly, “It has been many years, so I would not blame you for not recognizing your brother.” Tears filled Princess Sarnai’s eyes as she stared at Yixing.

 

“Royal Brother? You really are my royal brother?” She asked. Yixing smiled and carefully ruffled the younger princess’s hair.

 

“My little sister who used to fall into the springs in the back mountain and forbid me from telling Father is all grown up.” He observed gently, “Do you still sneak out on spring nights to catch fireflies?” Tears rushed down Princess Sarnai’s cheeks as she pulled Yixing into a tight hug.

 

“Royal Brother!” She cried, “It really is you! No one but my brother would know about these things!” Yixing smiled and gently patted the princess on the back.

 

“I’m sorry for making you wait.” He said softly, “My memories have finally returned. I know who I really am now.” 

 

“You’re a big dummy, Royal Brother!” Princess Sarnai cried. Yixing chuckled.

 

“Yes yes, I am. Now dry your tears, little sister. Isn’t it unseemly for a warrior princess to cry so much?” He teased. 

 

“Royal Brother!” Princess Sarnai protested, but wiped at her eyes anyway with a huff.

 

“Sarnai?” The royal siblings looked towards the tent entrance as a new voice spoke, and Yixing’s chest tightened as he saw the Khan standing in front of them. Yixing rose from the bed and walked slowly over to the Khan. Then, he knelt on the ground and bowed deeply to the Khan. He swallowed hard before speaking.

 

“Father.” He said, the unfamiliar word somehow rolling easily off his tongue, “Please forgive this unfilial child for staying away from home for so long.” The Khan looked over to Princess Sarnai with a shocked look on his face, and the princess nodded in affirmation. Then, the Khan reached down and gently lifted Yixing to his feet.

 

“Mian’er?” The older man asked, his eyes full of conflicted hope. 

 

“Yes, Father.” Yixing replied softly, “My memories have finally returned.” The Khan laughed, his eyes looking wet with unshed tears of happiness.

 

“My son!” He exclaimed, pulling Yixing into a tight hug, “My son, you have finally come home! When Sarnai suggested that sparring might evoke any hidden memories, I was skeptical but...it seems like it worked! You truly are my lost son!” Yixing smiled and returned the embrace. Usually, he would have been slightly annoyed that the princess had set him up this way to make his memories return, but at the same time he understood why she did it. Based on the results of their sparring match in Qing last time, it was only natural for her to expect the same to happen if Yixing sparred with the Khan. And now, it seemed like she had been right. The Khan laughed as he cupped Yixing’s face on his large hand.

 

“You have grown up well, my son.” He said, “If only your mother could have seen you come home.” Yixing felt his chest tighten. He could still hear the echoes of the gentle voice calling out to him in his dreams.

 

“My mother...is she…?” His voice trailed off, uncertain of how to finish the sentence. The Khan sighed and nodded. 

 

“Ever since you were captured, the queen was worried sick about you.” He said, “A few years after you had disappeared, she grew very ill and passed away. I will take you to see her tomb later today. For now, you must tell me everything that you remember and what has happened to you in the time since you were abducted. I want to know everything.” Yixing swallowed hard and nodded. For hours, he sat with the Khan and Princess Sarnai, detailing to them all that had happened since he was taken from Mongolia up until the present day. His newly discovered family was, understandably, shocked by all that had happened, but also proud of his achievements. The Khan laughed as he patted Yixing on the shoulder.

 

“You are truly my son.” He said, “To be chosen by the princess and successfully defend her for so many years, only a Mongol warrior can possess that capability. I am proud of you, my son. And now, it is time that you return to your rightful place.” Yixing stared at the Khan for a long moment.

 

“What do you mean, Father?” He asked. The Khan chuckled.

 

“Fengmian, you are the Crown Prince of Mongolia.” He said, “It would make no sense for you to continue serving as a simple imperial guard by the princess’s side. You should return here and take your rightful place as the future ruler of Mongolia.” Yixing swallowed hard at the suggestion. He had to admit that it made sense; why should a prince who had finally found his family live as a common royal guard? He was the princess’s personal guard, but at the end of the day, he was just another royal soldier. But if he left Princess Feiyan...Yixing sighed deeply.

 

“Can you give me a little time to think about it?” He asked, “Princess Feiyan has given me everything I have. It is not that simple a task to leave her side.” The Khan smiled and patted Yixing on the hand.

 

“Very well, you still have some time until the princess is supposed to return to Qing.” He said, “I will give you until then.” Yixing stood and bowed to the Khan.

 

“Thank you, Father.” He replied.

 

____________________________________________________________________________

 

Yixing sighed as he stepped out of the Khan’s tent and headed for Princess Feiyan’s tent. Before he had realized it, he had been talking with the Khan and Princess Sarnai for many hours, and the sun was now shining brightly high up in the sky. Princess Feiyan was not going to be happy. Yixing reached out to pull open the tent flaps, but before his fingers touched the white cloth, it was yanked open by someone inside, and Yixing found himself looking down at a pair of furious dark brown eyes. 

 

“There you are!” Princess Feiyan exclaimed, “I was about to go storm the Khan’s tent and demand that he return my imperial guard!” Despite the rush of overwhelming events that had happened in the past half day, Yixing chuckled softly at the princess’s actions.

 

“Why didn’t you do so earlier?” He asked as he gently turned her around and herded her back into the tent. Princess Feiyan huffed. 

 

“Because I promised Emperor Father that I would act my part while I’m here, and I don’t think forcing my way into the Khan’s tent counts as being polite.” She replied, “But if you didn’t return for another hour, I was about to throw all of that to the wind! Who knows what the Khan was doing to you? How did a simple sparring match turn into an overnight stay? And don’t you know what time it is?” Yixing smiled at the princess’s petulant face.

 

“My Lady, were you worried about me?” He asked. Princess Feiyan stared at him for a long moment before turning and crossing her arms. 

 

“No!” She declared. Yixing stayed silent for a few seconds, then the princess turned her head slightly and huffed.

 

“Well...maybe a little.” She admitted with a little grumble, “After all, I didn’t know what the Khan was doing with you! All that happened was a messenger came and said you and the Khan found each other very likable and so decided to talk more into the night.” Yixing chuckled. In a way, the messenger hadn’t been wrong. 

 

“So?” Princess Feiyan grumbled, “Don’t you have something to say to me?” Yixing smiled gently as he looked at his mistress silently. Although she hadn’t complained about it, Yixing had noticed the darker rims below his mistress’s eyes, signaling that she had stayed up late to wait for him despite what the messenger had said. Princess Feiyan had chosen to wear a light yellow dress today, the light thin fabric blowing lightly in the wind. In the warm glow of the early afternoon sun, the princess looked like a slender doll, one that the wind could easily blow away in seconds.

 

How can I ever leave her? 

 

 The princess’s tongue could be sharp sometimes, but at the end of the day, there was a weaker side of her that still needed his protection. And even if she wasn’t weak...who would accompany the princess throughout her days if he wasn’t by her side? The princess saw him as her closest companion, one that she could spill all her secrets to. The loneliness that she surely felt when he was gone for merely a week...how magnified would that become if he left for good? And how was he even supposed to begin telling her all that he had discovered within the past twelve hours? The sheer amount of thoughts was enough to send Yixing’s head spinning, and he bit back a groan as he shook his head to clear it. Yixing sighed stepped around the princess so that he was facing her.

 

“My Lady…” He said softly, “Please excuse me for a few moments.” Before the princess could respond, Yixing reached out and pulled Princess Feiyan into a hug. She squeaked in surprise at the sudden motion.

 

“Zhang Yixing?” She asked, confused. Yixing closed his eyes briefly and felt his heart pounding as he held the princess tightly. And...was he imagining things, or was the princess’s heart pounding too? Yixing pushed the thought away with a soft sight. Somehow, holding the princess in his arms seemed to soothe his troubled mind.

 

“My Lady.” He said softly after a few moments, “I won’t ever choose to leave you, so you don’t need to worry even if I am gone for a while. If we should ever become separated by circumstances out of my control, matter how much time passes, I will definitely return to your side in the end. That is my promise to you.” Princess Feiyan laughed softly.

 

“I am certain you will keep that promise, Zhang Yixing.” She said, “I believe in you.” The princess gently patted him on the arm.

 

“Is something wrong?” She asked, “You’re trembling a little.” She pulled away and Yixing froze as she cupped her hands on his cheeks.

 

“And you have an odd look in your eyes.” The princess observed, “Did something happen while you were out?” Yixing blinked, startled that the princess had caught onto something being amiss. Sometimes, the princess caught onto the smallest things, even down to the emotions in his chest that he thought he had been carefully hiding. Then, he sighed and shook his head. 

 

“No, My Lady, I’m alright.” Yixing assured her gently, “I’m just tired.” The princess looked at him skeptically.

 

“Truly?” She asked. Yixing smiled and nodded. Princess Feiyan grinned and clapped her hands together.

 

“Now, you must tell me how the sparring session went.” She said, “I don’t care about anything else, but I do care about how my personal guard’s training matches up to the Khan’s.” Princess Feiyan sat down on her bed and patted the space next to her.

 

“Come tell me everything!” She declared. Yixing chuckled and did as he was told. The princess’s eyes lit up as he began telling her of the sparring session with the Khan the night before, careful to keep out the details of what had happened otherwise.

 

My Lady, I know I promised not to keep secrets from you. But...how am I even supposed to begin explaining this issue to you?