Despite All

To You Who Came Back
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

♫ Sung Si Kyung - 너의 모든 순간 (Every Moment of You)


 

“And I’d choose you; in a hundred lifetimes, in a hundred worlds, in any version of reality, I’d find you and I’d choose you.”

- Kiersten White


 

The next afternoon, Eunbi and Chaeyeon met up at the IZ headquarters, prepared for the worst. The atmosphere was cold in the boardroom as the two girls and Agent BYJ sat in silence for quite some time after arriving. The girls didn’t even dare to look up at their superior, let alone breathe.

 

Agent BYJ finally let out a heavy sigh, breaking the silence.

 

“I really can’t believe you girls.” Agent BYJ said as she slammed her hand on the table, making the girls flinch.

 

“You two should be suspended for going against my orders yesterday.” She added.

 

“No actually, you should be fired.” She continued to scold the girls.

 

“As much as I want to suspend you girls and make you do desk work…” She paused.

 

“You still have work to do.”

 

Eunbi and Chaeyeon both turned to each other, confused at what Agent BYJ said.

 

“You two still have to protect Cherry- ah, I mean Sakura-San until her father’s project is done.”

 

“Sakura? We have to protect another person now?” Eunbi asked, puzzled at the addition of another name.

 

“Sakura is her real name. She would like you to address her as that from now on.” Agent BYJ replied.  

 

After realizing they were still assigned to protect Sakura, the girls became even more bewildered. They thought for sure that they would be taken off the case. Especially, since they kept running into trouble. There was no way that M-San would allow the girls to continue to protect his daughter after last night.

 

“You girls look flustered.” Agent BYJ said as she rubbed her temples.

 

“Sakura-San wanted you girls to remain on her protection details, and she was pretty adamant about it too. She refused to let anyone else protect her.” She added.

 

Knowing Sakura, Chaeyeon guessed that she stood firm against her father despite all the troubles she had run into since this whole ordeal started. She probably threatened him with something or gave him an elaborate speech on why Chaeyeon and Eunbi should protect her. She probably also begged Agent BYJ to not fire the two or at least just let them finish this assignment. Either way, Chaeyeon was glad that it worked out the way it did. She was afraid she wouldn’t have the chance to talk to Sakura again after last night.

 

“Anyways, we found out a couple of things from the kidnappers yesterday.” Agent BYJ said, peaking the girls’ interest.

 

“It turns out they were hired by one of the business associates involved in the project. They wanted to take credit for the whole project for themselves, and whatever glory that came with it.” She added.

 

“So there was a mole on the inside this whole time? No wonder the bad guys found out about everything so quick and we ran into so many troubles.” Eunbi chimed in.

 

“Correct. But now that they are removed, things should run a bit more smoothly. Sakura-San should have a bit more freedom as well. However, we can’t let our guard down until the whole thing is over, so be on your best.” She warned the two.

 

“Also, another agent on M-San’s side will be joining you two. Hopefully, they’ll be smarter than the two of you combined and make better choices.” She added glaring at the two.

 

The girls couldn’t refute her statement and just looked down at the floor blankly.

 

“You girls should head to the safehouse now. Sakura-San is own her way there as we speak.” Agent BYJ said as she got up and headed to the door.

 

Before she left though, she sternly smacked both the girls’ in the back of the head.

 

“Well, I’ll take that over getting fired any day.” Eunbi said.

 

•~•

 

Upon arriving at the safehouse, Chaeyeon was a bit hesitant on entering. It’s been days since she’s last been there and was afraid what a mess it might have turned into. Not to mention Sakura might be on the other side of the door already. She had no clue what to say or do once she sees her. Chaeyeon was nervous but entering was inevitable. She calmly collected herself and entered the house.

 

Just as she had expected, the place was a mess. Tons of dishes, unwashed piled up in the sink. There was a strange smell floating around due to the trash not being taken out and rotten food in the fridge.

 

“Look, I know it kind of smells and everything is a mess, but now that you’re here, everything should be back to its clean state in no time.” Eunbi said as she patted Chaeyeon’s back.

 

Chaeyeon turned and glared at Eunbi, dumbfounded at her comment.

 

“I get the house would have gotten to this state if it was only Sakura here, but you were watching over her these past few days.” Chaeyeon said while gritting her teeth.

 

“What the heck were you doing not cleaning?” She added inching towards Eunbi.

 

The older agent gulped seeing how livid Chaeyeon became. She backed up as Chaeyeon inched closer to her, but she couldn’t back up anymore; she had hit a wall.

 

Eunbi closed her eyes, fearing for what Chaeyeon was about to do until the keypad lock chimed a tune and unlocked.

 

Saved by the door.

 

Eunbi thought. The door opened, and Sakura came walking in. She still looked weak, but she looked better than she did yesterday. There was an awkward silence as no one said a word, just staring at the ground.

 

“What is that smell?” An unfamiliar voice said, breaking the silence.

 

The two agents looked up and saw an unfamiliar figure standing beside Sakura.

 

“Awww, who is this cute girl you brought with you?” Eunbi cooed as she walked closer towards the mysterious person.

 

“Cute?” The girl questioned, agitated.

 

“She’s so small too. I want to put her in my pocket.” Eunbi continued to uwu over the girl.

 

“Small?!” The girl’s voice grew louder, as well as her anger.

 

“Permission to punch her, Saku-chan.” The girl said as she tilted her head to crack her neck and curled her hand into a fist.

 

Eunbi slowly stepped back, fearing for her life for the third time today.

 

“No Nako-chan. She’s my friend.” Sakura said as she grabbed Nako’s fist and moved it to her side.

 

Nako’s anger subsided as Sakura persuaded her not to harm Eunbi. She let out a gentle smile and turned her attention back towards the two agents. Chaeyeon and Sakura still couldn’t make eye contact.

 

“This is Nako. My father sent her to accompany me and help you guys.” Sakura introduced.

 

“She may look small and innocent, but don’t underestimate her. She can fight really well. She was a former yankee after all.” Sakura added.

 

“Y-Yankee?” Eunbi whispered to Chaeyeon.

 

“Basically a delinquent who goes around picking fights.” Chaeyeon explained.

 

“You should watch Majisuka Gakuen. You’ll understand who they are better.” She added.

 

“Ahh” Eunbi said, quietly nodding her head.

 

“Anyways, we need to get this place cleaned up. How do you expect to live here with the place being such a pigsty.” Nako said, interrupting their little conversation.

 

“I agree. We need fresh groceries too, so Eunbi unnie and Nako-chan should go get some.” Sakura said.

 

“What!!!/Nani!!!” Eunbi and Nako said simultaneously.

 

“I don’t want to go with her.” Nako complained as she pointed her finger towards Eunbi.

 

“I don’t want to go with her either.” Eunbi scoffed, also pointing her finger back at Nako.

 

“Just go, stop whining.” Sakura said.

 

“Why can’t Chaeyeon go with her and I’ll stay and help you clean Saku-chan?” Eunbi said, clinging to Sakura’s arm.

 

“Ha! You’ve been with her these past few days and let the place become like this. What makes you think you can convince us that you’ll clean it now?” Nako argued as she placed her hand on her hips.

 

“Stop it both of you!” Chaeyeon finally spoke up.

 

“Unnie, just go with her! If we’re going to be working together, you two need to get along. Besides, you hate cleaning anyway. You’re just going to halfass it.” She added.

 

Eunbi frowned, feeling betrayed by her trusted partner.

 

“If you go buy groceries, I’ll cook for us tonight.” Chaeyeon said, trying to comfort the older agent.

 

Eunbi perked up, upon hearing the deal.

 

“Fine. I’ll do it for you and Sakura.” Eunbi said as she strutted towards the door.

 

“Let’s go Nako!” She called, walking out the door.

 

Nako gave Sakura a defeated look as Sakura patted the younger girl’s head. She reluctantly followed Eunbi out, leaving Chaeyeon and Sakura alone. An awkward silence befell on the two. Their eyes wavering, waiting for the other to make a move.

 

“We should get to cleaning. It’s a mess in here.” Chaeyeon said, leaning down to pick up the trash around her feet.

 

Chaeyeon was nervous and her mind was blank.

 

Gah! I should have said something else.

 

Chaeyeon you dummy!

 

How can you think about trash at a time like this?

 

Chaeyeon thought to herself as she frustratingly continued to pick up trash. Suddenly, she felt a pair of arms wrap around her body.

 

“Jjaeyeon….” Sakura said softly, tears suddenly falling from her eyes.

 

All of Chaeyeon’s feelings and emotions for Sakura that she had bottled up for years came bursting out the moment she heard her call her name. She turned around and returned the embrace, breaking down harder. Time felt like it had stopped for a moment as the two stood still, holding each other in their arms.

 

“Saku-chan…” Chaeyeon whimpered as she leaned back to look at Sakura’s face.

 

“I’m glad you’re not badly hurt.” Chaeyeon added, as she gently wiped Sakura’s tears from her eyes and moving to caress Sakura’s cheek where she got hurt yesterday night.

 

“I’m glad you’re safe as well.” Sakura replied, returning the favor and wiping Chaeyeon’s tears away.

 

The both of them cracked a smile at the situation unfolding before them, unable to believe they were able to meet again.

 

“I didn’t expect meeting you again like this, under this kind of situation.” Sakura said, breaking away from their embrace.

 

“Me either.” Chaeyeon replied, not moving her gaze form Sakura.

 

“We should clean before they other two come back. They’ll call us lazy if they come back and find the place the same as when they left it. We can talk more later.” Sakura said as she walked to the kitchen.

 

Chaeyeon couldn’t remove her eyes from staring at Sakura, smiling like a fool at how happy she was at that moment.

 

“Stop staring at me~ You’re making me feel embarrassed.” Sakura shyly replied

 

•~•

 

The two girls plopped on the couch, exhausted after finishing cleaning up and airing the house out. It’s been about 2 hours however, Eunbi and Nako had not returned from their shopping.

 

“They’re taking a while.” Chaeyeon said, wiping the sweat from her forehead.

 

“Maybe they ran into trouble” Sakura replied as she gently leaned her head on Chaeyeon’s shoulder.

 

“The only person who would have ran into trouble is Eunbi unnie. She probably said something she shouldn’t have again and got beaten up by Nako and left in an alley.”

 

The two snickered at the possibility of that happening.

 

Chaeyeon breathed out a sigh, softly laying her head against Sakura’s head and closed her eyes.

 

“What are you sighing for?” Sakura asked.

 

“It’s nothing, I’m just thinking…..” Chaeyeon paused.

 

In fact, Chaeyeon had a lot she w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter