I Don't Want To Hurt You

To You Who Came Back
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

♫ Jonghyun - 우린 봄이 오기 전에 (Before Our Spring)


 

“Sometimes, staying away from people is the only protection that you have for your heart.”

- Unknown


 

The next day, Chaeyeon was awaken by the rays of sunlight, beating down on her face. She squinted her eyes from how bright it was. She rubbed her eyes and picked herself up from the couch, pulling the blanket that was draped over her off her body. Someone must’ve placed it on her last night.

 

Crap, I fell asleep when I was supposed to be on lookout again.

 

She thought, letting out a heavy sigh. She looked around the living room and kitchen, as she let out a yawn while stretching her tired and aching limbs and found it quiet and empty.

 

That’s odd. Right now is the usual time she would be up and about. Maybe she slept in too or maybe she’s playing games in her room.

 

Let’s go check what she’s up to.

 

Chaeyeon walked over towards Cherry’s room to check on her. She knocked on the door but there was no response. She became slightly worried, scared something bad might’ve happened during the night. She moved her hand to the door handle and twisted it, opening the door just a crack. She peaked in and found Cherry not in her bed. She busted into the room as panic started to settle in until she heard running water coming from the bathroom.

 

She cupped her face with her hands and let out a relieved sigh.

 

Ahh, she is just taking a shower.

 

Chaeyeon left the room, quietly shutting the door and made her way back towards the living room. Eunbi was not around either so she wondered what Eunbi was up to and headed towards the guest room where she stayed in last night. Once again, she knocked on the door. No answer. She slowly twisted the door handle and cracked the door open to peak inside.

 

Eunbi was still knocked out cold. It looked like she was having a fight in her dreams last night. The pillows were thrown about in the room, and the blankets were hanging off the bed, as well as half of her upper body. Her mask was on the floor which must’ve been knocked off during the night. Chaeyeon silently chuckled and had a look of disgust as she noticed the drool from Eunbi’s mouth was sliding down her head, causing some strands of her hair to become slightly damp.

 

“Oh, you’re awake” A voice suddenly said from behind her.

 

Spooked by the suddenness, Chaeyeon quickly turned around while shutting the door to Eunbi’s room behind her.

 

“Cherry…” Chaeyeon said under her breath.

 

“Uhh good morning.” She added as she walked away from the door.

 

“Morning” Cherry said emotionlessly, as she continued to dry her hair with her towel.

 

Chaeyeon immediately sensed something was off. Cherry’s response was different from usual. It was colder and more distant compared to her happy self. Her eyes too, were quite swollen.

 

Maybe she’s still tired from yesterday.

 

Even though Chaeyeon tried to convince herself that, her curiosity still got the best of her.

 

“Are you ok? Your eyes look kind of swollen.” Chaeyeon said, worried.

 

“Oh, I couldn’t fall asleep last night so I decided to play some games.” Cherry replied.

 

“I guess I stayed up too late and my eyes got dried.” She added as she draped the damp towel over a chair and walked towards the kitchen.

 

Again, her responses were cold and distant. Chaeyeon was worried why Cherry’s demeanor changed so drastically overnight. Something must’ve happened to her, but Chaeyeon was scared to dig any deeper, afraid she might reveal too much of her own secrets. Chaeyeon kept silent, just standing and watching the older girl’s movements.

 

Cherry lazily opened one of the kitchen cabinets and pulled out a mug. She ripped opened a bag of instant coffee mix and poured it into the mug and filled it with hot water from the tap. She then grabbed a spoon from the dish rack and mixed the coffee half assed. She tossed the spoon into the sink and plopped down on one of the dining chairs, staring into space. Chaeyeon’s brows furrowed upon seeing the questionable acts.

 

Something is definitely wrong.

 

Chaeyeon thought. Concerned, Chaeyeon was about to make her way over to Cherry to confront her until the door behind her suddenly opened.

 

“Oh, Agent Feather.” Eunbi said.

 

“Glad to see you up and early.” She added, not realizing that it was already 11 in the morning.

 

“Morning.” Chaeyeon said, flashing a fake smile. She was still focused on Cherry.

 

“What’s for breakfast?” Eunbi said as she made her way towards the kitchen, hair all messy and crusty from the dried up drool.

 

Cherry had no reaction or response to the older agent and continued to stare at nothing. Eunbi quickly caught onto the weird atmosphere and walked back towards Chaeyeon.

 

“What’s up with her?” Eunbi whispered.

 

Chaeyeon had no answer. She just silently shook her head slowly.

 

Suddenly, they received a notification on their phones. It was Agent BYJ, telling them she was sending a backup guard for now to watch Cherry. She also instructed Eunbi to go clean herself up back home and for Chaeyeon to meet her at headquarters as soon as she could. They both looked at each other, confused for different reasons.

 

Chaeyeon was reluctant to leave Cherry when she was in that kind of state, but she had no choice. She rushed to headquarters, hoping to finish whatever her superior had for her quickly and return to Cherry.

 

•~•

 

“WHAT!!!!!!” Chaeyeon shouted as she slammed her hands on the table, in denial of what she just heard.

 

Agent BYJ looked at the girl, unmoved by her outburst.

 

“What do you mean I’m off the assignment?”

 

“I meant exactly what I just told you.” Agent BYJ said.

 

“I’m taking you off the assignment. You will no longer be protecting Cherry-San.” She added.

 

“Why? Why am I being taken off the assignment?” Chaeyeon asked.

 

“Was I not adequate enough yesterday? Did I not protect them well? Did you decide this? Did M-San asked for me to be taken off?” She continued.

 

Agent BYJ continued to stare at the girl who was going insane from all the questions flowing into her mind. Her stern and cold exterior began to soften.

 

“No. M-San did not request this.” Agent BYJ replied

 

“You then?”

 

“No. I did not personally order this either.”

 

“In fact, I think you’re doing a wonderful job.” She added.

 

“Then who? The higher ups?” Chaeyeon blew up, frustrated Agent BYJ was not being direct with her.

 

Agent BYJ’s expression was completely soft now.

 

“Chaeyeon-ah….” She gently called, slightly hesitating.

 

“.... It was Cherry-San who requested for you to be taken off her protection details.” She added.

 

Chaeyeon could not believe it. Her mind went blank; she was speechless. Her knees suddenly felt weak and she collapsed into her chair. Agent BYJ walked over to Chaeyeon and kneeled to her eye level and grabbed her hand.

 

“Why?” Chaeyeon weakly asked.

 

“You’re too involved in this case from what I can see. I think it’ll be wise to take you off the case right now.”

 

Agent BYJ stood up and headed out of the board room, but not before looking back at Chaeyeon again.

 

“Get some rest Chaeyeon-ah. Return to your life for a bit.” She added.

 

Chaeyeon sat there, unable to think or move.

 

Why? Saku-chan.

 

•~•

 

“Why did you request to have me removed from your protection details?” Chaeyeon asked Cherry, as she burst through the door to the safehouse; Cherry sitting unresponsive at the dining table.

 

Chaeyeon went back to the safehouse to confront Cherry. It took her awhile to convince the temp guard to let her in since Agent BYJ had instructed him not to, but with a little bribing and a dash of a threat, he caved. Chaeyeon couldn’t understand the request, or rather, was not willing to accept the req

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter