Chapter Eight

Deer In The Headlights
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
FELIX

After a long first day of school, mama's cooking is well earned. We are four in our family, me, my older sister Bomi, mom and dad. Outside of our busy schedules we always give supper a big place in our home. Because it's the only time where we can just talk and forget about the outside.

We didn't have a big dinning room like the rest of the neighborhood but it'd feel out of place if we did. The small circular table feels more how can I put it? Right. A family should always be close with one another no secret and no division everything brought into the light.

Tonight we we're eating mom infamous lasagna which low key means that we're getting good news. Last time she made lasagne was when they announced that dad was on the list for promotion, but it followed with us moving to Korea. I wonder what the news is?

While trying to figure out the announcement, Bomi was talking about how her and her friends got to be in the same class again. Bomi and I have three year gap. When she turned 13 years old she wanted to study in Korea while living with my aunt. My dad approved as long as she goes to an all girl school and that she maintains high grades. My mother would from time to time visit, while we would talk on the phone or Skype.

Bomi kept explaining her day while mom just listened and nodded. My attention was on dad, he didn't even touch his plate of lasagna. So I knew that he was the one who needed to announce something. I try to find some hidden clue. He was wearing his work cloths so a vest with penguin pants. His hair looked ok, his body only showed that he was tired maybe because of work, but nothing would let loose to know what he wanted to announce.

"Felix dear" says my mother. I turn to face her after being lost in my thoughts.

"Huh?" I answered

"How was your first day of school?" She asked before taking a sip of her drink. I could see my father from the corner of my eye directing his attention on me.

"Hum! Well, it was interesting" Is all that could come out of my mouth. I mean to be honest it was interesting.

"Did you make any new friends?" She asked.

"Euh! Yeah, I did." I looked at both of my parents. They looked out of place, why were they acting so mellow? After a minute of silence my father looked like he was ready to spill everything to us.
 

“Kids, your mother and I want what’s best for you and nothing less than that, no compromise.” clears his throat before telling us what he had in the back of his mind. “I didn’t get the promotion”

I was confused, what was he talking about? What promotion? I looked at my Bomi to see if I was the only one not getting this. She looked back at me and she had the same facial expression and trying to figure out what was going on.
My dad paused before realizing that me and Bomi didn’t get his statement.
“Hum, sorry I should be more specific. You see the reason why we moved to Australia in the first place was because I had a 9 year contract with the branch of my company. In resume all you need to know is that, it was a test to see

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter