1.8 The Assembly

Twelve Warriors
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was already late evening when the food team brought surprisingly delicious food for all the hungry stomachs. They have picked and cooked some fresh vegetables and reheated the processed protein packs prepared by the last Guard team.

Chaeyeon carefully mashed a small potato in a plastic bag and mixed it well with processed protein and cabbage for Sakura with a long handle spoon, and she starts to feed her with the spoon.

"I can eat by myself." Sakura looks at Chaeyeon with very gentle eyes.

"But you may choke, then we will be in trouble." Chaeyeon grins, "Your billion vomit pieces will form a small orbit inside this room and never go away."

Nako turns her head to Chaeyeon and nods. What Chaeyeon is doing looks so familiar to Nako. The time when Sakura got seriously sick and floated around like a zombie, she had to ask Eunbi to buckle her up so she can "force-feed" Sakura to avoid her starving to death.

Now she is happy someone else is taking up the job, or is she not? Nako turns back to her new friends. Hyewon and Chaewon are sharing the protein bits and some garlic, and they decide to feed Nako what they've got in their hands. Yes, she deserves a life of her own too, Nako thinks.

Sakura eats very slowly, and Chaeyeon feeds her one spoonful after the other with great patience.

It's approaching midnight after Sakura finishes her portion of food Chaeyeon prepared. The assembly should start soon. Chaeyeon wipes off food crumbs on Sakura's cheeks and unbuckles her.

"Saku-chan, let's go."

 

*************************

 

Eunbi goes through the Control Room checklist with the patrol team after some more food and finds the team to have very good organizing skills. First, she was amazed at how observant, considerate and self-initiated the space baby Yujin has been when she took Nako to the Control Room. Obviously, Yujin is naughty, but it seems that Hitomi, who works in a stern and straight manner, can put her under control. Minjoo is very neat and tidy while Yena can always think of an alternative to make things more efficient.

When Chaeyeon holds Sakura by the hand and swims slowly towards the Dome, all members applaud their entry.

Sakura bows apologetically.

"The time has finally come!" Eunbi announces, "team, shall we get closer?"

The 12 girls form a small circle, and everyone takes out her mobile device and prepares for the inaugural procedures.

"Should we use the Downloader first, or should we choose a leader first?" Chaewon asks.

The girls exchange glances but no one responds.

"Choose a leader first." After a while, a voice replies weakly. It is Sakura.

"This is hard." Wonyoung knocks her forehead lightly.

"But we have actually discussed it in the last hours in our team," Yena confesses and looks at her choir friend. "Chaewon, did your team do that too?"

Chaewon nods, "yes we did."

"There is no adult around and we have to decide our own fate," Yena says.

Yena's words provoke a strange feeling on Sakura. This is truly the first time in her life that there is no adult around and she can make her own decision. She was not aware of this even when she explained to Chaeyeon the beauty of the system to let the youngest teams be the last to report duty. She was like speaking on behalf of the adults and she suddenly dislikes what she has said in the morning.

"Girls can do anything!" Yujin sounds joyful. She raises her hands and nearly starts dancing. Hitomi steals a quick glance at her and she immediately shuts up.

"Shall we start to nominate and vote?" Yena asks.

Wonyoung raises her hand, "I nominate Eunbi seonsaengnim."

"Seonsaengnim?" The girls sneer and all look at Eunbi. Eunbi looks unhappy.

"Seonsaengnim just means she is a doctor," Wonyoung explains.

"Yes, Eunbi is just one day older than me," Sakura defends Eunbi too.

Eunbi is shocked. "Sakura! How come you have missed this fact? I am now five years older than you!"

Sakura's jaw drops. Her brain is too tired to process what Eunbi is trying to say.

"What?"

"You went into hibernation two months before your 20th birthday, but I went on. I needed all those practice time as a doctor. So I went into hibernation 5 years later than you did. Since it is October now, you have skipped another birthday. I am now 24 and you are just 19."

Sakura rolls her eyes and shuts up in frustration. And she can hear Chaeyeon's giggling.

"So eonnie, you are an adult!" Yena exclaims.

"Did I ever say I want to be the leader?" Eunbi refutes. She stares at Wonyoung and says, "I think Wonyoung should be our leader. Although she is the mangnae by age, she is the mannae regarding living experience on this spaceship."

Minjoo laughs, "Eunbi eonnie, please stop playing with words!"

"But that's true. Wonyoung is the youngest yet she is the oldest..."

"Hey," Yena cuts Eunbi short, "so we have Eunbi mannae and Wonyoung mangnae as th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter