1.6 The Truth

Twelve Warriors
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It does not take Sakura a long time to debug M2 and fix the Downloader. But when Chaeyeon tries to take her to the dorm for some food, she insists she still needs to clarify some items with ZOENI.

"But at least you should have some food. You have not eaten for the last 70 years and just experienced...such turmoil..." Chaeyeon tries to convince Sakura, "and I feel very hungry now."

"It will just take 30 minutes. Just 30 minutes more after 70 years should be fine." Sakura pats the back of Chaeyeon's hand, "why don't you help me prepare some food and I will come down as soon as possible?"

Although Chaeyeon is not convinced, she squeezes Sakura's hand a bit, nods and leaves.

Right after Chaeyeon left, Sakura logged in the other computer by scanning her retina and palm. Then she puts on the headset.

She quickly types a set of codes and enters dialogue mode with ZOENI.

"Attack: details."

"Cistumons. During the cycle gap. Attempt attack aimed at M2. Attack not successful. Withdrew. Notified FSG."

"Attack aims to destroy JM's memory system?"

"68% possibility."

"Bug left in M2: why?"

"Like antibodies. The body reacts after a virus attacked. When the original virus not found, antibodies remain."

"Are these antibodies harmful?"

"May have adverse effects on cancelled memories."

"Meaning?"

"It may trigger the cancelled memories of the user."

"What is cancelled memories?"

"Memories that can cause unwanted emotion or behavior, or sickness in user, will be removed from the user, temporarily or permanently."

Does that mean that she has memories removed? Sakura suddenly feels she has goosebumps. She tries to recall her own memory on the launching day and comes to realize there is none. She feels like her blood has all withdrawn from her face. Wait...technically, she can "remember" the launch, but that is the memory she just downloaded in the G-zone, and that is not "her" memory.

She then decides to check her own log. The last activity before hibernation was dated January 5548, two months before her 20th birthday. There was not much description. It was simply about her being sent to the hibernation due to health reasons.

She remembers that faintly. She was very sick. But she has no memory about her sickness. When she tries to search for the reason of her sickness on ZOENI, the request is denied.

Sakura gulps. Something is not right. Sakura quickly turns the conversation with ZOENI to "private".

She then checks carefully every log of hers after the launch. According to the records, she basically only commuted between the Control Room and the gym. She stayed in the dorm and didn't even go home – her unit on 2/F. She worked very hard, along with other scientists, to direct JM into its designated path. The Cistumons tried to attack them, and she controlled mobile warships in a mini space war until the Cistumons ships were all destroyed.

Sakura notices that the last log was September 5547, 15 months after the launch, followed by a few "deleted" logs; and the next one was the last one on January 5548.

"Why was a person's log deleted?" Sakura feels extremely shocked by what she sees. "What happened between September 5547 and January 5548?"

No reply from ZOENI.

"ZOENI?" Sakura cries.

"Files deleted". ZOENI finally speaks through Sakura's headset.

Sakura tries different ways of asking ZOENI the same question, but the answer remains the same.

Were the logs deleted due to her sickness? What kind of sickness would it be to cause the deletion of a person's logs?

A scene suddenly came to mind. Before the crash, she "saw" a human figure. Was this person the key to her crash? Who was he? Yes, it was a "he". She could feel it. And then she suddenly remembers her dream in the medical room. She was dreaming of a person whom she has been longing but kept on rejecting her.

Then a hunch comes to her. She closes her eyes and scans the newly downloaded memory in her G-zone, one very important person is missing.

Professor Miyawaki.

The man she hates most as a father but admires most as a JM fore-runner.

She quickly checks the log of Professor Miyawaki and his last log was on June 5546. When she tries to click into his last log, ZOENI says "access denied".

"Again!" Sakura starts to feel very

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter