1.1 The Crash

Twelve Warriors
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It is HE 5618. “Jungle Mansion”, the spaceship that escaped Earth is scheduled to arrive at FSG, the Free States Gateway in two and a half years. It is time for the last JM Guard Team to wake up from their hibernation and report duty. According to the Regulations set by the JM Management Board, each team is to be made up of 10-12 inhabitants from age 14 to 60; and it must be a single-gender team. Their service will last for two years and one of their mission is to wake up everyone for the final docking.

  

Sakura and Chaeyeon are among the first to wake up from the hibernation. Still feeling disorientated with slightly blurry vision and wobbly limbs, they follow the instructions of ZOENI, the super AI that woke them and prepares to assemble in the Control Room with their fellow Guard team. Before getting into the Control Room, Sakura first visits the dormitory, which is located just one floor "under". Following the JM Regulations, the former Guard team cleaned the dormitory and vacant one day before the first new guard can leave her hibernation cabin and report duty. This is to make sure the two teams will not meet until Jungle Mansion starts its docking process. And the whole hibernation and wake up process are closely monitored and directed by ZOENI.

It seems that Sakura is the first one who arrived at the dorm. So she chose a "bed" at the far corner, a cocoon-like cabin where she can hang her sleeping bag and a few personal items. After changing into the JMG uniform, she decides to clip "Kkurabear", her stuff toy bear at the "doorway" of her cabin to show that it is now occupied. Sakura got this toy when she was nine years old, right before she was sent to an overseas university...

  

The Control Room used to be their rooftop garden, thinks Chaeyeon as she swims effortlessly in microgravity with the help of a super long chain which links up her household unit located on the first floor all the way through the corridor (used to be the atrium) of greeneries to the "top" floor. Thanks to the previous teams, the greeneries are still in a good condition, which means the new team will not have to worry about the food supply. It is really hard to maintain green lives in space. Chaeyeon softly uses her raised long hair to greet the plants silently as she passes by, thanking them for being in good shape.

When she arrives at the dorm, she discovers someone has already occupied one cabin at the far end corner, so she decides to choose the cabin which is nearest to the entrance. She changes into her uniform and approaches the control room.

  

Chaeyeon's first sight in the Control Room is a very beautiful girl with her fingers swimming busily across the control panel M2.

"Good morning." Says Chaeyeon. It has been over six decades since she met another human being. She is not very sure if she can speak anymore. But seems words come out of .

"Good morning, Chaeyeon-i." The girl turns her head and gazes at Chaeyeon with her extraordinary big round eyes. The eyes are deep as the ocean and clear as the sky; an analogy which only remains in human memories now; and when she looks at Chaeyeon, it feels the heat of the sun penetrating through her mind.

"Chaeyeon-i?" Chaeyeon is a bit surprised. Only people who are very close will put an "i" suffix to another person's name. The girl looks familiar, yet she cannot even recall her name. So she just stares at her while searching for a name in mind.

"Sakura," Sakura says as if she can really read the long hair girl's mind.

"How come...you have psychic power?"

"That's just calculation." The big eye girl says coolly but in a very polite manner.

Chaeyeon closes her eyes and thinks hard. Her hair seems to be dancing while she thinks.

"I know!" She opens her eyes wide suddenly, "Saku-chan!"

Sakura nods.

"You lives on the 2nd floor. You taught me gawi bawi bo (paper rock scissors) when I was in kindergarten – but I never win."

"Yes, you did." Sakura nods slightly.

"Oh really? How come I don't remember!" Chaeyeon laughs.

"You will, soon."

"Ah...I remember you always flew paper planes to me. But I could never fly them back to you 'cause the direction was wrong."

"Direction now becomes so meaningless in a microgravity environment," Sakura says as she turns 180 degrees with the help of the handlebars on the panel, and pull away some cables attached on a perpendicular panel.

Sakura is quite clumsy. Chaeyeon thinks, and she moves a bit forward and helps out.

"So Chaeyeon-i, do you understand our assignments after waking up?"

Chaeyeon takes out her mobile device and found the information. "Yes, first, unplug all the cables in the Control Room, then the inaugural procedures which include sworn in, choosing a captain, and the Downloa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter