Chapter Eight

Becoming Human [Chaptered Series]

“I’ll meet you in the lab in half an hour? Leo, are you coming?”

The boy beside me shook his head. “I have an appointment.”

“How on earth do-” I quickly shook my head and then held up my hand to cease his sentence, Gunhee stopping in his thoughts and then tilted his head. “Uh, okay then, I’ll see you then too?”

I nodded and then followed Leo to the other elevator, trying not to laugh at how proud he appeared. Ever since I promised the bot he could see where I work and Daniel’s desk the night beforehand, Leo had been on his best behaviour. Questions were on the low, he dressed happily, even grabbing his mask and hat without being asked to. He had also prepared my breakfast without a single mentioning of my hair status.

If every morning could be like this, I wanted to find a way to promise him things all the time.

The elevator opened in front of us and we climbed in, the floor dropping instead of rising to the fifth one. Leo, aware of what floor we were meant to go to, spun to face me. “What is wrong, is this faulty too?”

“I think maybe someone from the client car park has pressed the button to get on too, it’s not a problem.”

Satisfied, Leo faced back around and waited as the doors opened again. The person entered and my eyes widened, pressing my lips together to hold back my surprise. The boy turned however to Leo, his own reaction much the same as mine.

“L-Leo sunbaenim,” he breathed, bowing and holding out his hand to the robot.

Leo glanced at me and then took his hand. “Yes?”

“It’s such an honour to meet you; wow I never expected to meet in such a place either!”

“Jeong Sewoon-ssi?” I managed to utter out loud, my shock of meeting one of my votes on Produce 101 in person slowly subsiding. Gunhee had been somewhat wrong, I didn’t have much interest in idols but I had a guilty secret love for watching the entirety of Produce 101 and following the members who I had enjoyed. Sewoon’s vocals had always melted me and it was also why I had a soft spot for my boss’ Daniel as well. I wondered if she had a different robot model if I would have felt as comfortable in his presence or not.

The boy glanced at me and bowed gently. “Yes?”

“He’s a robot. It’s not really Leo from VIXX.”

“Oh? Oh!” He laughed and Leo’s mood instantly darkened. “Oh, how silly of me, of course that makes more sense!”

“Are you here for model training?” The boy nodded. “Ah, you’ve hopped into the wrong elevator; it was the opposite one that takes you to the lab. It’s fine though, we’re going to level five and I can show you to the right elevator on that floor to take you the rest of your trip.”

He smiled graciously and then turned back to Leo, marvelling the now broody bot. “Wah, he looks so real. I can’t believe it. I never thought I would be popular enough to be a part of this program. Do you reckon many people will order me?”

I would if I didn’t have him, I thought instantly, my cheeks burning at the mere thought. Only three days ago I was completely against housing a robot. I couldn’t help but wonder how I could fit two into my tiny apartment now.

Leo coughed and startled both of us. “Looks like we’re on the floor we need, noona.”

We stepped out of the elevator and the youngest stepped closer to me, Leo suddenly moving between us. Sewoon was still gazing at Leo. He finally turned to find my own stare and smiled warmly. I thought my cheeks would literally burn off then, and shifted my gaze to where I was going, not wanting to embarrass myself any further.

“Is he yours?”

“No.” – “Yes.”

Leo glanced at my negative answer compared to his and his expression turned lethal. I swallowed and looked at Sewoon to give proper clarification. “I’m helping test him.”

“Ah, it must be fun working here then!” Sewoon nodded and seemed oblivious to Leo’s reaction.

“It definitely has its perks,” I agreed, showing him into the elevator and pressing the floor he required before waving and bowing goodbye. I watched as the doors closed and sighed happily.

“No?!” Leo echoed and I glanced at him apprehensively. “Jeong Sewoon. Finished twelfth in idol creation show, Produce One-oh-One. Became a solo artist last year. Just released a new song in July. And most importantly noona, was born in nineteen-ninety-seven.”

“So? You do realise how many fans who buy some of these robots are even older than me, right? Robots don’t hold age, appearance or race against its owner.”

“I wasn’t talking about the robot version that will be created. Is he your type?” I rolled my eyes at his antics, stepping into my department. The lights were still off as it was before work hours and I walked over to my desk, placing my bag down.

“This is where I work every day.”

Leo waved me off. “Is he your type?”

“Why, are you jealous?”

“The definition of jealous is feeling or showing envious resentment of someone of their achievements, possessions or perceived advantages.” Leo then moved closer, his eyes searching through mine deeply. I felt as if he was scanning the inside of my brain and blinked rapidly. Leo cleared his throat and diverted his eyes momentarily, before blazingly staring at me again. “Gunhee-hyung was wrong. You do like idols. And he is your type.”

“And you are showing signs of jealousy. Another emotion for the robot who isn’t meant to feel emotions but only understand them. Wah, Doctor Jung should really see you as an advancement in robotics!”

“Don’t talk like that,” he growled and I backed up, Leo grabbing my wrist and holding it up. “You can feel my touch. I’m not a subject. I’m… I’m…something.”

Biting my lip at the intensity of his stare, I wondered what was going through his mind right then to be feeling the way he was. Leo himself seemed to become more wound up at trying to decipher who he was and began to shake. My free hand reached out to touch his arm and he stopped moving altogether. “You’re Leo. That’s what you are. And Sewoon is someone I like for his talent. He isn’t my type, not in the way you’re suggesting. I’m sorry for teasing you. Shall we go see Daniel’s desk before we go upstairs? You really wanted to see what you might have in the future. You could even work in the lab you know. Let’s be positive now, hm?”

Leo held my gaze for a moment longer and then let go of me, nodding his head softly, his small smile appearing. “I’d like that. I like all that you just said.”

I led him into the room and watched as he eyed it with renewed excitement, my own thoughts trying to decipher what was happening in my world already since Leo had appeared in it.