Chapter Twenty-Two

Becoming Human [Chaptered Series]

The remaining two days of the working week passed by quickly. None of us uttered a word to Doctor Jung over what happened that night, and Gunhee has gone into Leo’s files to delete the recording so the older doctor would be none the wiser. Speaking to Younha had allowed me to have another ally in the building, her support and wisdom making me further determined to keep Leo at my side. I didn’t know how I would, but with Gunhee, Younha and Leo all supporting me, I was sure we could all figure something.

Leo was returning back to being pleasant with Gunhee as well, appreciating his help in removing the incriminating behaviour and his renewed support throughout the week. They were inseparable and it made my heart swell finding the pair laughing together as they approached me after work both days. I hadn’t realised just how happy Leo could appear with other people at his side. He seemed to grow further confidence than I ever knew possible for him. It was attractive and admittedly, I was falling further in love with the man who was fighting so hard to keep his existence in this world.

It felt like this week had been so full of emotions that when Saturday arrived, I wasn’t prepared for something as normal as dinner over at Younha’s home. She had invited Leo and I over to hers to meet him officially and have a little double date dinner party. It was my first time showing my boyfriend to anyone though, and even though my boss knew all too well what it was like dating a Kboy, I was still anxious on what her reaction might be. I wanted to make the right impression, and I was already exhausted in just preparing for the event.

Leo leaned against the bathroom door frame, watching me as I groaned over my eye makeup not being even. He chuckled. “I don’t understand, you work with this person, why does it matter if you look good or not? I mean, you look gorgeous to me no matter what you wear, but your friend does not need to be impressed since you have me to date already.”

I suppressed my laughter and pulled my mascara wand away from my face so I wouldn’t make a mistake at his endearing take on things.

“What’s so amusing? From my search, impressing someone comes in the common forms of requiring a job, to join as a member of someone’s family, or when wanting to become someone’s lover. You already have a job, and you definitely have a lover.” He stopped to eye me a little too appreciatively and I couldn’t help but blush. “Do we need to become her family then?”

“There’s more than that, I just want my boss to think we’re a good couple.”

“Why does she need to approve whether we are or not? In my eyes, there’s nothing better than us. We compliment each other well, don’t you think?”

I sighed in content, turning around to face Leo before crossing the short space between us, reaching up to kiss his lips. He smiled into the embrace before wrapping his arms around my towel-clad body, drawing me in closer. I knew this all too well, the arousal would soon build within him and my efforts would have to be started all over again. We did not have time for an afternoon delight if I wanted to look my best.

Unfortunately.

“Leo!” I whined into his fevered kisses and he hummed, not relinquishing my lips but definitely trying to remove my towel. I gasped when I felt it slip and yanked back. “Honestly!”

“You started it,” he commented, at his lips, his dark eyes alive with lust and amusement. I backed away from him then but he followed, his hands finding my sides again. “We don’t have to impress them. If it means that much to you though, I’ll be on my best behaviour. Besides, this is the person with Daniel who also has a job in the building right? Maybe we can become friends and work colleagues.”

My heart melted right there and Leo knew it, lifting me up much too easily and placing me down on the countertop before stepping in between my legs. His kisses were back in full force and I moaned, my attempts to push him away waning as the desire to do other things built up instead.

“My make up!” I wailed as he left my lips to at the crook of my neck. I didn’t even have it in me to stop him from having his own way now.  

He breathed heavily for a moment, glancing up at me before picking my body up and carrying me into the bedroom across the hallway. “I told you, you look great in whatever you wear, but this is my favourite.”

He emphasised his words by the tugging of my towel away, staring at my form for only a moment before climbing over top of me.

I would just have to hurry to fix things enough after Leo was done making me see stars again.

 

 

“I’m so glad you made it! Oh Yerin, you look so pretty tonight!” Younha gushed in greeting and Leo gave me a look that screamed I told you so as he handed over the bottle of champagne we’d had brought with us. The older woman took it graciously and patted his arm. “Aren’t you the sweetest, please come inside!”

We removed our shoes and then stepped up into her home, Daniel waiting with a broad smile.

“Welcome to our home!” He bowed in greeting and Leo glanced at me before bowing in return.

For the next half hour, we left Daniel and Leo to the kitchen after both of them insisted, and sat on the plush sofa in Younha’s living area. She kept taking peeks at them preparing the dinner and finally reached for my lower arm. “He seems so different from what I expected. He’s more fluid in his actions. Look at the pauses Daniel makes in comparison.”

We both watched them for a moment and unlike Daniel, Leo sensed us staring, glancing up at us and shooting us an awkward smile. Younha giggled. “He gets awkward like that too?! Is it a trait for his Kboy model?”

“It’s something he does without thinking about it,” I replied, somewhat proud of how I was able to tell that. It made me smile. “Leo doesn’t really seem much like his living counterpart. Sure, he has some similarities minus his looks but I don’t see him as Leo from VIXX at all.”

“Wow. Daniel might have some shaping from being with me but he’s still very much so scripted to his living half. I’m not going to lie, I love Daniel and I wouldn’t change him for another model, but sometimes he feels very one dimensional.”

“This is his first time interacting with another Kboy, right?” I asked and Younha shook her head. I frowned. “Is he always this nervous then?”

“No, he normally leads the way.” Younha glanced up to see Daniel apologising and looking to Leo in a way that almost seemed out of awe. We both shared an intrigued expression.

Dinner was served before we could dwell on it too much, and despite not eating with us, both men joined us at the dinner table. Conversation flowed easily, Younha asked many questions and Leo responded to them all well enough. He seemed to be pleased that she thought so highly of him. Daniel was quiet though, looking over at Leo when he thought no one was watching, and I noticed he seemed to be thinking quite deeply. A comfortable silence hit the table and I chose to use it to approach Daniel.

“Are you alright, Daniel?”

He blinked a couple of times and then nodded once. “Of course Yerin-noona.”

“You’re awfully quiet, my puppy,” Younha added on and he smiled weakly. He normally was the type to shoot the biggest toothy grins at her, along with love hearts nestled in his gaze. It made me worried.

“I was just… it’s my first time thinking about what it would be like to taste the food Leo hyung and I created.”

“I’ve always wondered. It’s one of the things I hate most about being a robot. I’m certain if I was human, I’d love to eat,” Leo replied earnestly and Daniel’s eyes widened.

“You’ve thought about being human, hyung?”

Leo nodded, glancing over at me and then smiled. “Every single day.”

“I… I never felt I had a need to. But now, I wish to think about it some more.”

“You should explore whatever you want to, I’ll support you, Daniel-ah,” Younha told him, whilst shooting me another glance.

“Just be careful, it’s not always nice thoughts,” Leo warned with a sigh. He then tried to brighten the mood. “But if I could eat one thing, I think I’d like to try chocolate. I want to know why Yerin eats so much of it! From the ingredients online, it sounds too sweet.”

“Did you know there are British developers who have found a sustainable way to feed robots to turn the food they eat into energy?” Younha mentioned and she suddenly had all of Leo’s attention, Daniel soon getting invested too.

I sighed happily as I looked around the table and felt a strong sense of hope that Leo would change the lives of so many around us, robots and humans alike.