009

Back in Neverland

June 2008

Chaeyoung figured out.  She was able to fit the pieces together – Jimin and Dahyun avoiding each other, Seulgi’s group flashing their proud smiles, and Ravi telling her that he had given her pictures away. Dahyun being speechless when confronted about it was the only affirmation that Chaeyoung needed in order to confirm that she was being used as a bait.

She hated this feeling the most – of being a burden to someone. It was the same emotions that surged through her when Namjoon was threatened of being discharged from his teaching post because of her.

She was beyond angry for being used as a weakness of another person.

Chaeyoung threw the printed pictures of her and Namjoon towards Seulgi, startling not only the latter but also her friends.

Seulgi glared at her before glancing at the photos on the floor. She smirked, “What? Are you proud of being a now?”

“You can post those pictures anywhere. I don’t care. Stop using me to threaten Dahyun,” Chaeyoung bellowed, “You are the lowest.”

“Me?” Seulgi raised a brow, “At least I’m not desperate to go after my teacher.”

“Don’t group me with the likes of you,” Chaeyoung retorted, “I do not beg for anyone’s love.”

“I’m not begging anyone for anything,” Seulgi seethed.

Chaeyoung let out a scoff, “You know why you are so insecure? Because you will never be at par with Dahyun.”

“Don’t you dare level me with trash,” Seulgi spat.

“This is not just about being Jimin’s number one,” Chaeyoung replied, “It’s your rotten personality which would never be at par with Dahyun’s. All you have is your pretty face concealing how demonic you actually you are. You’re so insecure because you know no one, not even Jimin, can love you if you show them your true colors.”

“Yah!” Irene shouted, but Seulgi was quicker to react.

There was a loud slap that echoed as Seulgi’s hand collided with Chaeyoung’s cheek. Chaeyoung widened her eyes before glaring back at Seulgi, ready to fire back at the latter, not even minding that she was outnumbered because Seulgi was with Irene and Jennie.

But then, Chaeyoung was surprised when there was another loud slap. But this time, it was from Dahyun. Dahyun came from behind her and launched at Seulgi.

Seulgi was beyond surprised, “You dare touch me?”

“I will stomach everything that you can do to me,” Dahyun stated, “But you have no right to hurt my friend.”

Without warning, Seulgi pulled Dahyun’s hair, making the both of them stumble to the ground. Chaeyoung was about to help Dahyun but Jennie and Irene blocked her way.

“I’m already tired so I don’t want to join them. Unless you want to fight the two of us that is,” Jennie blew her nails.

Chaeyoung did not listen as she tried to walk past the two, but Irene pushed her away. Chaeyoung almost lost her balance until two hands held her in place. She looked to her side to see Tzuyu. The latter was glaring at Irene.

Tzuyu spoke, “Back off.”

Irene let out a scoff but couldn’t retort.

“I really do not want to get a scratch so you two better not take a step forward,” Jennie insisted.

“If you fight with me now, we would both be suspended in Archery,” Irene reminded Tzuyu before turning to Chaeyoung, “You can’t afford to get a disciplinary record again after almost being expelled from your last school.”

Tzuyu froze in her place and could do nothing but glare at Irene. Chaeyoung watched in horror as Dahyun and Seulgi continued fighting. Seulgi’s and Dahyun’s hairs were already disheveled and all knew that the slaps that the two were giving each other were strong enough to turn into bruises later on. Their nails even bore into each other’s skin.

A crowd had already started forming to watch them fight at the school grounds. There were already whispers – not just because of the rumble but because of the photos on the ground. Some were already cheering for the fight itself, shouting both Seulgi’s and Dahyun’s names.

Tzuyu and Chaeyoung knew that with the people that were watching, it wouldn’t be long until the teachers would discover them. If they get involved, it was certain that they would get repercussions.

“Screw this,” Chaeyoung muttered before taking a step forward. Jennie was about to push her away, but then, all were startled when a person walked past them.

No one could stop Jimin from separating Seulgi and Dahyun.

Seulgi’s countenance immediately softened as she looked at Jimin. Her eyes glistened with tears. She felt victorious as Jimin helped her up while Dahyun struggled to stand on her own.

“S-She started it,” Seulgi sobbed, “She hit me first. It hurts so much – “

“Apologize to her,” Jimin spoke.

“W-What?” Seulgi stammered.

“Apologize to Dahyun,” Jimin repeated, “Apologize to her first.”

“Are you not listening to me?” Seulgi’s voice started rising, “She was the one who started this!”

Jimin could only stare at Seulgi and the disbelief in his eyes was enough to break Seulgi apart.

“You don’t believe me, do you?” Seulgi whispered.

“I know Dahyun too well,” Jimin replied.

Seulgi chortled emptily, brushing off her tears. As she looked around, she realized that everything that was happening had become embarrassing. She was in a fight because of her boyfriend, only to be rejected by him at the end. She looked like she dug her own grave.

She glanced at Dahyun before looking back at Jimin. Her eyes were starting to sting again with tears. It finally dawned on her that Chaeyoung was right; she was begging for a love that would never be hers.

Seulgi cursed herself. She should have known it from the start – that Jimin would always choose Dahyun.

Seulgi glared at Jimin before saying, “Fine. Go screw with your best friend.”

She started walking away as she tried to fix her appearance. Irene and Jennie followed right after, not saying a word, knowing that Seulgi was too angry to talk.

Yugyeom started picking the photos of Chaeyoung on the ground, quickly tearing them all apart. Chaeyoung scolded everyone who were eavesdropping, telling them to get lost. Tzuyu tried helping Dahyun fix her appearance and Jungkook also approached to console Dahyun, until Jimin walked towards the girl.  Tzuyu then understood to take a step back and held Jungkook’s wrist, signaling him to give the two some space.

Jungkook could only watch as Jimin enveloped Dahyun in his arms – all days of avoiding each other had long been forgotten.

Dahyun started crying as soon as she felt Jimin’s arms around her.

“Does it hurt?” Jimin asked, “Where does it hurt?”

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I’m sorry – “ Dahyun kept repeating.

“For what?”

“You two broke up,” Dahyun spoke against Jimin’s chest, “And it’s all because of me.”

“I don’t think it would ever work out if I know that you are being hurt,” Jimin replied, “Anyone who wants me should know to respect you and the fact that you would always be a part of my life.”

“I’m so sorry,” Dahyun apologized yet again.

“For what?” Jimin caressed her hair in a comforting manner.

“For lying,” Dahyun sobbed, “You never suffocated me. I was never tired of you. And I don’t want any change of my life that would involve losing you.”

Jimin tightened his hold of her and said, “Days without you, Dahyun, were the absolute worst. Don’t avoid me again, hmmmm?”

Dahyun nodded before saying, “I’m sorry.”

“Are you not going to run out of apologies?” Jimin questioned.

Dahyun then looked up to him and Jimin chortled because she looked like a child with tear-streaked face.

“I’m sorry,” Dahyun repeated before adding, “Because you might really be stuck with me for the rest of your life.”

Jimin chuckled further before brushing away her tears, “That’ll be fine. I’ll just enjoy all my days with you.”

 


 

“Ouch,” Dahyun grimaced as Tzuyu applied some ointment on her cuts.

They were at the infirmary, trying to tend to her wounds.

“I didn’t know that you had this wild side,” Chaeyoung commented.

Dahyun grinned but the cut on her lip made her wince again. Tzuyu chortled at Dahyun’s reaction.

Chaeyoung played with her finger before speaking again, “I’m sorry for not telling you.”

The two looked at her as she continued, “I didn’t know how to tell you that I fell in love with my teacher.”

“Are you embarrassed?” Tzuyu asked.

“Maybe,” Chaeyoung shrugged, “It’s just that, maybe it was stupid of me to try something that I already know was wrong.”

“I think love is never wrong,” Tzuyu replied, “Maybe it’s just not the right person or the right time.”

“Still, I have known from the start that it will never work out,” Chaeyoung retorted.

“Do you regret it then?” Dahyun questioned.

Chaeyoung beamed before shaking her head.

“I’m sorry too,” Dahyun spoke, “For not telling you both about Seulgi’s threats.”

“She’s really the worst,” Chaeyoung frowned.

“She looked really sad though,” Tzuyu stated.

“Maybe she really loved him,” Dahyun said.

“Love is always pure and giving,” Tzuyu retorted, “Perhaps her case is already borderline obsession.”

“You talk too mature, Tzuyu,” Chaeyoung commented.

“Like Jungkook,” Dahyun grinned.

“Don’t you make this about me,” Tzuyu shook her head before turning to Chaeyoung, “So do you still see each other?”

“I broke contact with him when we got caught,” Chaeyoung replied and she saw how the two’s gaze immediately softened in sadness.

“You should find someone new to fancy,” Tzuyu suggested.

Chaeyoung then grinned, “I think I do like someone else now.”

“What?!” Dahyun blurted before frowning again because of the cut on her lip.

Chaeyoung chuckled first before confessing, “He’s a librarian in the morning and a musician at night.”

 


 

“It’ll probably take long before people would stop talking about Dahyun or Chaeyoung,” Yugyeom stated as he sat down with Jungkook and Jimin at the rooftop.

“It’ll die down,” Jimin assured him, “People would always find new things to talk about.”

There was silence at first before Jimin thanked Yugyeom, “Thank you for telling me what was happening.”

“You told me to look after her; I was just returning a favor,” Yugyeom shrugged.

Jimin beamed in reply.

“But you were so cool Jimin. I wish I was like you – no hesitations,” Yugyeom added, “I wish I could protect Chaeyoung like that.”

“I think Chaeyoung’s not the type to need protection,” Jungkook commented.

“Still. I feel like I want to be strong and brave so that I could protect her from all evils of this world,” Yugyeom retorted.

“That sounded like a love confession,” Jimin chortled until he noticed how Yugyeom quickly blushed at the comment. He widened his eyes, “You like Chaeyoung?”

“T-There’s nothing wrong with t-that!” Yugyeom stammered.

Jungkook laughed and Jimin exclaimed, “You knew this, Jungkook?!”

“It’s obvious,” Jungkook grinned, “Chaeyoung’s the only one who is always getting a slice of strawberry cake from him every lunch.”

“Wow,” Jimin exclaimed before saying, “Good luck with that.”

“Hey!” Yugyeom complained at Jimin’s tone but the latter merely laughed in return. Yugyeom then said, “This is not fair. You two should also tell me if you have anyone you like.”

Jungkook was surprised how a name suddenly crossed his mind at that moment – but he kept silent and masked it all with a smile.

 


 

June 2018

Dahyun stopped coming in the restaurant on the fourth day. She merely left a note that had her name and number. The note reached Jungkook. After every rejection he had given Dahyun, Jungkook knew that he could have thrown that piece of paper away. It was him after all that pushed her away. However, a part of him made him keep the paper hidden in his wallet.

On the sixth day ever since Jungkook met Dahyun and the second day ever since Dahyun stopped coming to the restaurant, another familiar face greeted him. However, it was no longer in the vicinity of his workplace but in front of his apartment.

“’Gyeom,” Jungkook greeted him.

Yugyeom walked towards him with a smile before giving him a brief hug.

“I missed you, bro,” Yugyeom said.

Jungkook looked at him from head to toe. Yugyeom was wearing a light colored long-sleeves paired with some dark slacks and leather shoes. Their clothes already spelled the disparity between the lives they were living. Even the car behind Yugyeom spoke of his success.

“Sorry. I came from work,” Yugyeom noticed how he was being observed.

“It’s morning,” Jungkook retorted.

“I have to spend some nights in the office,” Yugyeom shrugged.

Jungkook then realized that he was looking too much at all the flashy things in display but Yugyeom‘s eyes looked so tired and worn-out.

“How did you know where I live?” Jungkook asked.

“We were looking for you. I had to pull some strings to determine your whereabouts,” Yugyeom answered, “We actually discovered where you live and where you work but Dahyun was courteous enough to visit you at your workplace first.”

“So you’re here because sending Dahyun to my workplace isn’t enough?” Jungkook said.

“I wouldn’t go to the extent of camping out of your apartment if it’s not an emergency,” Yugyeom replied, “You should come with me to the hospital.”

At the mention of hospital, the color left Jungkook’s face.

“I’m sorry but I’m not as kind as Dahyun. I wouldn’t take no for an answer,” Yugyeom said as he opened the car’s door.