010

Back in Neverland

July 2008

They have a month of vacation before school starts again and Jungkook decided to take a part-time job in order to save some money. He wanted to alleviate some financial burden for he knew that their savings are soon to be depleted because of his mother’s frequent hospitalization.

He applied in a small Café. He knew that it would not that be exhausting since there are only a number of customers, and the owner was kind too.

However, he did not expect to be working with Dahyun.

“If you wanted to spend time with me, you could have said so,” Dahyun teased, “There’s no need to follow me everywhere.”

Jungkook rolled his eyes in reply, “I had no clue you would be working here. If I knew, I would have chosen another place.”

“Hey!” Dahyun complained, “You should be kind to your co-workers!”

Jungkook merely grinned before asking, “Why are you even working?”

“Big Bang has a concert soon,” Dahyun beamed before frowning, “My parents wouldn’t give me a cent because my grades are as bad as last year’s.”

“That’s because you have nothing in your head but Big Bang,” Jungkook retorted.

“Ugh,” Dahyun groaned, “You sound just like my parents. You all do not understand my overflowing love for them.”

They were engulfed in silence for a while as they ate the slices of cake that the Café owner gave them – a small congratulatory gift for finishing the training.

“What do you think are others doing right now?” Jungkook asked out of the blue.

“Hmmm,” Dahyun hummed, “Jimin’s teaching Dance to kids. Tzuyu’s in China, visiting her grandparents. I’m not sure about Chaeyoung and Yugyeom.”

“Yugyeom’s taking some lessons in academics,” Jungkook told her.

Dahyun widened her eyes, “Yugyeom and studying doesn’t really ring well. Are his parents torturing him because he is still in 100th place?”

Jungkook shook his head before the corner of his lips curved into a smile, “He did it on his own volition. He wanted to impress someone.”

“Is he in love?” Dahyun asked, “Do I know this person?”

Jungkook furrowed his brows at her. He would have understood if Jimin did not know because he was in another class, but Dahyun spent as much time as Jungkook did with the others. She should have noticed because Yugyeom was too obvious not to be noticed.

Yugyeom was more enthusiastic in greeting Chaeyoung. He would often buy food and drinks for her. He would snap at anyone who would dare mention her scandal in her last school or even just talk behind her back. The comics in his desks were even long forgotten, for he is too busy stealing glances from Chaeyoung.

“Are you really that naïve or you’re just pretending not to know?” Jungkook questioned.

“Both choices make me seem stupid,” Dahyun scowled.

Jungkook shook his head, “I think the person who would fall for you would be so doomed.”

Dahyun was about to argue some more until they heard a knock on the glass wall. They turned to find Jimin. Jimin waved at Jungkook with a smile and the latter acknowledged him with a simple nod.

“Oh. I have to go,” Dahyun mumbled but glared at Jungkook nonetheless, “I’ll prove you wrong! The person who would fall for me would be the luckiest on Earth!”

“Unless you will never realize that he has feelings for you,” Jungkook whispered as Dahyun rode on Jimin’s bicycle.

 


 

August 2008

“Thank you, Coach!”

“Goodbye, see you again tomorrow!” Jimin bid farewell to the children he was teaching to dance.

It was one of the ways he pursued his hobbies while helping others. That vacation, he volunteered to teach in a Dance School which offered free classes to poor children. He found spending time with them meaningful. The children were talented; they had passion burning in their eyes as they learn to dance. They just lacked the financial means to pursue it.  He knew that teaching them was a small act, but he was glad to contribute in harnessing the potential in them.

He checked his watch. He would always dismiss the class on time so that he could fetch Dahyun from work. But now, he was running a bit late. He hurriedly got his things from his locker and was about to proceed until he spotted Dahyun inside the dance school.

She had a bright smile on her lips as she talked to another volunteer dance teacher, Myoui Mina.

“Hey!” Dahyun enthusiastically waved as she noticed him approaching them. She said her goodbyes to Mina before running towards Jimin.

Jimin beamed at her, “Am I that late in fetching you?”

“Got dismissed from work early so I decided to come here and wait for you,” Dahyun replied as they walked, “It was a good decision since I was able to meet Mina.”

Dahyun then told him that she was hungry so Jimin decided to drop by a fast-food chain before going home. To his surprise, Dahyun even volunteered to pay for their meals.

“Hello, Teacher Park!”

Jimin turned to his side to find some female middle-schoolers who are taking regular classes in the Dance School. He gave them a small smile and a small wave which sent the girls giggling. As Dahyun then came with their tray of orders, the girls walked away.

She frowned before sitting down across him, “Those girls just glared at me. All your fans seem to hate me.”

Jimin merely smiled as he shook his head in reply.

“Sometimes, I just literally want to wear a shirt that says ‘not his girlfriend,’” Dahyun added, “So that they would stop being jealous.”

Jimin watched as her eyes glittered mischievously. He said, “You have something else on your mind.”

“I was just thinking that you should date again,” Dahyun replied before sipping her drink, “What do you think of that ballerina girl?”

Jimin shook his head. He should have known that Dahyun was up to something.

“Mina is really pretty. Like doll gorgeous pretty – “

“I know right! Her beauty is surreal!” Dahyun exclaimed.

“But I don’t think I would want to date again after what happened with you and my ex,” Jimin quickly added.

“But Mina seems nice,” Dahyun argued, “Her volunteerism already speaks of her kindness. I enjoyed talking to her. You should get to know her too.”

“Still,” Jimin insisted.

“Come on. This one’s Dahyun approved,” she grinned.

“How about you quit setting me up and talk about yourself?” Jimin digressed, “How’s work?”

“It’s simple but tiring,” Dahyun sighed, “But I think our customers grew in number because of Jungkook. That guy’s unbelievably popular too. I don’t know how he does it, but he also excels in this job. He’s definitely that person who’s just good at everything. His future is clearly bright.”

Jimin stared at her. He asked about Dahyun, but she ended up telling about Jungkook.

He couldn’t understand the unsettling feeling within him. It’s not the same feeling he had when Dahyun taks about Chaeyoung, Tzuyu or even Yugyeom. But somehow, he was becoming more bothered by the growing number of times that Jungkook’s name comes out of Dahyun’s mouth.

The two were clearly becoming closer and Jimin do not understand why he couldn’t bring himself to be a hundred percent happy about it.

He found himself diverting the conversation again, “Why the sudden treat? Shouldn’t you be saving money for the concert?”

Dahyun’s expression immediately turned gloomy. She played with her fries, as she groaned, “All the tickets are sold out. They were gone in a blink of an eye. Should’ve expected this since their popularity is skyrocketing.”

After seeing the sadness in Dahyun’s eyes that night, Jimin found himself looking for tickets. He started talking to friends and even strangers who could help. He would even check the internet from time to time, searching and waiting for a person to give up her ticket. He would’ve bought from scalpers if they were not too pricey.

He never knew that the answer to his dilemma was the same girl that Dahyun was trying to set him up with.

“Hi,” Jimin called her.

“Hello,” Mina smiled at him.

The little crease in her brows told Jimin that she was confused why he waited for her class to end. Afterall, they were in talking terms but were not that friendly with each other.

“Sorry. This might be weird, but I heard from others that you got Big Bang tickets?” Jimin spoke, direct to the point.

“I got one for myself,” Mina replied.

“Can you please sell them to me?” Jimin asked, “I’m buying it for Dahyun. You know her, right?”

“I do,” Mina nodded, “But I am interested in watching the concert too.”

“Big Bang’s her life,” Jimin explained, “There are posters in her room. She’s collecting all their albums, pictures and posters. She knows how to sing and dance to their every song. She spends most of her days reading information about them or just enjoying some fan fictions.”

Mina chuckled, “Wow.”

Jimin chortled too before adding, “I am definitely sure that attending this concert would mean a lot to her, but she ran out of tickets.”

“Fine, I will help,” Mina nodded, “I would sell them to you at their original price.”

“Thank you!” Jimin’s face brightened up.

“But,” Mina added, “You have to take me out for that night, in replacement of the time I was ready to spend for the concert.”

 


 

“Dahyun, you need to go home now.”

It was their last day of work, and school would resume shortly. As a celebration, the owner decided to throw a small party, treating everyone in a KTV.

By the time that Dahyun started dancing to every song sung, upbeat or not, Jungkook knew that she had drank too much. He stopped drinking by then, knowing that one of them should be sober.

When people started going, Jungkook couldn’t bring himself to leave Dahyun to any other co-worker, worried how her drunken state made her too vulnerable. He had decided to take her home, but Dahyun wasn’t cooperating as she merely sat outside the KTV Bar.

“If you bring me to our house, my parents would kill me,” Dahyun slurred.

“Then, I’ll call Jimin for help,” Jungkook suggested.

Dahyun raised a finger at him, “Don’t.”

“What?” Jungkook exclaimed.

“Don’t bother him,” Dahyun argued, “He’ll get mad when he knows that I lost control and couldn’t handle alcohol well. I don’t want him to get worried.”

“Your situation right now is worrying,” Jungkook stated.

It was too obvious that Dahyun was drunk – her pale skin had been colored red and her already thin eyes were droopy. Her pants have already been dirtied by sitting on the pavement.

Dahyun then raised her head but she wasn’t looking at Jungkook. She was staring at the sky behind him.

“Growing up with Jimin, he would always see me as that little girl who needs his care and protection,” Dahyun spoke, “Taking care of me has been Jimin’s second nature.”

“You should thank him then,” Jungkook replied.

“It’s touching really,” Dahyun added, “But burdening at the same time. I’m always worried that he hinders himself from doing some things just because he’s worried for me.”

“What things?”

“Falling in love,” Dahyun replied, “Getting out of this town. Going away.”

Jungkook then understood that Dahyun still felt responsible for breaking Jimin and Seulgi apart.

“Sometimes, I feel like I am chaining him,” Dahyun continued, “I don’t want him to leave me, but I want him to chase his happiness too.”

“Would you really be okay if change happens between you two?” Jungkook asked.

“I’m preparing for it,” Dahyun nodded, “I’m practicing how to take care of myself well – “

“You failed at it tonight,” Jungkook said.

“Or look for someone who would take care of me,” Dahyun added as she attempted to stand up.

Her gaze met Jungkook’s, and she titled her head in an adorable manner as she asked him, “Will you be that someone? Will you take care of me?”

Jungkook was consumed by silence, trying to read Dahyun’s expression if she had any clue of the weight of her questions.

Dahyun then swayed to her right, almost stumbling to the ground, but Jungkook caught her.

“At least for tonight,” she finally added, “Can you please take care of me for tonight?”

Jungkook sighed. Dahyun was twice more stubborn when drunk so he had no chances of winning the argument of taking her home.

“Come on,” he told her, and he held her arm to guide her.

However, Dahyun had other plans in mind, as she jumped behind Jungkook’s back with no warning.

“Hey!” Jungkook complained, trying to remove Dahyun from him.

“I’m too dizzy to walk,” Dahyun held tighter.

He groaned before giving in. He held her legs as she hugged his shoulders. Dahyun reeked of alcohol, but with the proximity they were in, Jungkook could still smell the hint of her vanilla perfume.

“Dahyun, can you turn to the other side?”

“Hmmmm?”

“Stop breathing on my neck. It’s making me uncomfortable.”

To his surprise, Dahyun even buried her head to the crook of his neck further. She whispered, “But you smell nice. How can you even smell like soap after everything that happened today?”

Jungkook was grateful that Dahyun couldn’t see his face right now, because the way her breath touches his neck was making him blush.

“Your ears are red, Jungkook,” Dahyun said, “You must have drunk a lot too.”

“If you don’t stop talking, I swear, I would leave you in the streets,” Jungkook exclaimed.

“Fine,” Dahyun mumbled.

“Turn your head to the other side, please.”

Fortunately, Dahyun finally did as told.

Not knowing any other place to take her, Jungkook decided to take Dahyun to his house. The bus ride was also a struggle. Instead of sleeping throughout the ride, Dahyun kept talking, pointing at the places where the bus would pass by, and saying some random stories.

When they got off the bus, Dahyun told him that she could already walk. Not wanting to carry her again, Jungkook held her by the arms instead, preventing her from stumbling. Dahyun still continued talking to him, asking about everything that they encountered in the short walk.  When they entered the house, Jungkook told her to be quiet in order not to wake his mother up.

“Shhh!” Dahyun put a finger on her lips, “I’m quiet! Shhh!”

He almost carried her up the stairs, too frustrated at the way Dahyun would always miss a step and giggle afterwards. He took her to his room, and Dahyun jumped on the bed immediately.

“Ahh! The bed feels nice,” Dahyun hummed as she waved her limbs, as if forming a snow angel.

Jungkook grunted, “Go to sleep now. I’ll kick you out if you keep continuing doing weird things.”

Dahyun sat up and did a salute, “Aye, aye, Sir!”

“Shhhh!” Jungkook shushed her.

Dahyun hit a couple of times before ending up in chortles.

He made her lie down and started tucking her beneath the blanket when Dahyun started saying incoherent words again.

“Go to sleep,” Jungkook told her.

“I want some…” Dahyun mumbled, the rest of her sentence muffled.

“What?” Jungkook exclaimed.

But he was startled when Dahyun suddenly sat up, making their faces merely inches apart.

“I said I want a good night kiss,” Dahyun whispered, her cheeks flushed.

Jungkook was about to reprimand her but all his words were cut short when Dahyun quickly leaned in and kissed him on the lips.  Dahyun giggled afterwards before plopping back to the bed. The way she stayed still with her eyes closed told Jungkook that she had fallen into a deep sleep.

Everything was so quick that Jungkook even doubted that it happened.

He cursed underneath his breath because the way his heart raced meant it was real.

 


 

Jungkook ended up sleeping in the living room. There was in no way he could sleep beside Dahyun after her bold move. No, he actually had trouble sleeping at all because the feeling of her lips against his was burning at the back of his mind.

The next morning, he was awakened by the sound of women laughing. When he followed their voices, he found his mother and Dahyun sharing a conversation at the dining table.

“Good morning, son,” his mother greeted him, “I was about to prepare your breakfast but Dahyun invited me into a Big Bang conversation.”

“Don’t listen to her,” Jungkook replied, “She’s trying to corrupt your mind.”

Dahyun rolled her eyes in reply, “High class beauty is difficult to comprehend for some. It’s your loss, really.”

His mother gave a knowing smile at the sight of them bickering before she told them to wait as she cooked some breakfast. As Jungkook downed a glass of water, he noticed that Dahyun was watching him with a smile.

“What?” he asked.

“You have a bird’s nest on your head,” Dahyun chuckled.

“You look good in my mom’s clothes too,” Jungkook retorted, “But you looked worst last night.”

“Ugh,” Dahyun groaned, “Did I do weird things?”

Jungkook recalled everything that happened, but somehow, his mind was stuck replaying the kiss that they shared.

But from the way he answered with silence, Dahyun had already a confirmation. She groaned, “Oh my gosh. I did weird things.”

He averted his gaze from her as he confirmed, “Yeah. All things embarrassing. Don’t you remember them?”

“I remember going out of the KTV,” Dahyun thought hard, “Then everything else is already a blur.”

She kept staring at him before she said, “You’ll keep this as a secret, right?”

“Depends on how good you would treat me,” Jungkook teased and he chuckled seeing her disgruntled face. He asked her, “Don’t you want to know what you did?”

Dahyun shook her head, “No way. I don’t want to know how deep I dug my own grave. You should forget about them too.”

Jungkook nodded in reply, but deep inside, he knew, that there was in no way he would forget that night. Not when his gaze would involuntarily trail to Dahyun’s lips. Not when he could still feel how soft they were.


Hello! Thank you for still reading this story. Haha. Sorry I wasn't able to update last Tuesday. But here's your update for the week! There should be actually one more scene, but this chapter is already too long. Hope you did like the progress in here??? Please do comment down your thoughts. Thank you all for subscribing!!! It means a lot to me whenever I see a notif from this story. Huhu.