006

Back in Neverland

April 2008

As Tzuyu opened her locker, a note flew out. She picked it from the ground and read its contents.

Meet me at the rooftop.

The handwriting was always different; sometimes, the words would vary as well, but they all meant one thing: a confession.

She sighed before crumpling the paper and throwing it into the garbage. She knew that she would just be showered with empty words of admiration, but every time, she would still meet the person who wrote the note.

Maybe I was just hopeful.

That when I ask the question, “Why do you like me?”

I would get an answer different from, “You are beautiful.”

I just want someone to see me beyond a pretty face.

Sighing, she noticed that the paper did not indicate the time.

Perhaps, he was pertaining to lunch break.

She made her way to the rooftop, and the cold wind greeted her as soon as she opened the door. She swept her hair to the sides, tucking the strands behind her ear. She looked around before spotting a male, with his hands in his pockets, looking at the skies above.

He looks so serene.

She coughed a little, trying to gain his attention. He then turned to face her fully and was taken aback that it was Jeon Jungkook who she was meeting at the rooftop.

For a moment, she was just trapped in his gaze.

She heard about his frequent absences, and his good grades despite that. But she never knew that he was this gorgeous up close. She didn’t even notice that she was staring until he spoke.

“Do you have something to say?” he asked.

Tzuyu faked a cough again, clearing . She replied, “Isn’t it you who should have something to say?”

He tilted his head, and his eyebrows furrowed a little.

She mirrored his confusion, “Why else would you be here?”

“For lunch,” he answered nonchalantly.

Tzuyu creased her own brows and her voice was latched with irritation as she exclaimed, “You invited me here!”

Abruptly, the door of the rooftop opened, and another male student came in. He looked at Jungkook and then her, before scratching the back of his neck.

“I-I thought you wouldn’t come.”

She widened her eyes as slightly gaped. Her trance was halted when Jungkook spoke once more.

“Then, I’ll just leave the two of you alone,” he said before exiting the rooftop.

Her gaze followed him, but as he shut the door, the other male student called for her attention.

“Tzuyu – “

She glared at him sharply, “I hate waiting. I hate latecomers. I hate you.”

Tzuyu then started walking away. She somehow felt guilty saying those words without even giving him an opportunity to confess, but she bet he wouldn’t say anything that she doesn’t already know.

He’d just feed me empty words of admiration – reasons to like me which do not go beyond what his eyes see.

Besides, I wouldn’t have had embarrassed myself if he came earlier.

When she went back to the cafeteria to eat, she spotted Jungkook sharing a table with his classmates. Tzuyu only realized that she was staring at him again when all of them turned to look at her. She averted her gaze and tried to focus on the line, but then, she found herself again stealing glances at him.

 


 

“As expected of you, Tzuyu!” the coach clapped, “Well done!”

She lowered the bow as she stared at the arrow now pierced at the center of the target. It was a perfect ten.

“You’re doing good, Irene, but you can do better!”

She glanced at Irene’s target. Irene almost scored perfectly, but her last two shots were nines. Tzuyu looked at Irene, and despite the coach’s words of encouragement, she looked so pissed with her performance.

Irene’s gaze then met Tzuyu’ss and it turned into a sharp stare, before she let out an exasperated sigh.

Tzuu and Irene had been partners in the school’s archery team. They represent the school in various competitions, but Irene had always seen her as a rival. It doesn’t help that she had always scored better than her.

It made her lonely, somehow, for she had always hoped to find a friend in the archery club; she always thought it would be awesome to spend time with someone she can share her interests with. But all those remain to be wishes.

When she walked in the corridors of the school, people make way, as if they consider her untouchable. She could feel them staring, but none of them were brave enough to talk to her.

Their eyes only speak of either jealousy or attraction for the beauty I have never wished for. But if adoration meant isolation, then I’d rather be normal.

Tzuyu was getting some things from her locker when she felt a presence beside her. She glanced to the side and found Irene.

Is she going to spite me again for being better than her?

“Switch pairs with Seulgi,” Irene spoke.

“I don’t understand what you are talking about,” Tzuyu replied.

“The Biology Homework. You have been paired with Jimin. Switch with Seulgi,” she clarified.

“That pairing was decided by the teacher.”

“The teacher can’t do anything if the switch’s already done!”

“It might affect negatively in our grades,” Tzuyu retorted.

“As if you care about grades,” Irene muttered, “Your life is archery and nothing else.”

She bit her lower lip. Irene was right. She just needed passing grades.

But still, Tzuyu was not the one to do things without a good reason. Unlike everyone, she was not scared of Irene, so she didn’t find the need to follow her orders.

“Why should I change with Seulgi?” Tzuyu asked her.

“Because I said so,” Irene gritted her teeth.

“Why should I take orders from you?”

Irene straightened her back; her jaw clenched. She scoffed, “You don’t understand. This has nothing to do with us.”

“Try enlightening me then,” Tzuyu said.

“Seulgi likes Jimin more,” Irene explained, “Jimin’s not that into Seulgi even though they are in a relationship. She needs every opportunity to be with him so that Jimin could fall for her more.”

Tuzyu furrowed her brows.

Then why isn’t she breaking up with him? Why stay in a relationship that makes you wallow in self-doubt?

She closed her lockers before telling Irene, “If Seulgi’s that insecure, then she might as well put Jimin on leash.”

Tzuyu walked away, leaving Irene seething on rage.

It was actually easy to grant such favor; it was not like she cared of whom she was partnered with. But she felt like Seulgi and her friends needed to learn that their popularity and pretense of being strong would not grant them everything they wanted.

 


 

“Is this his house?”

Tzuyu asked herself as she stared at a two-storey house enclosed with a blue gate. On the second time she rang the doorbell, the gate’s door opened abruptly, but it was not Jimin who greeted her.

It was a female, with skin as white as snow, hair as black as a raven. Her eyes were as chinky as Jimin’s, and she had a big smile on her lips.

“Hi! I’m Dahyun. We’re in the same year!”

Ah. I remember now. She is one of those always sitting with Jungkook.

“I’m sorry. I might have gotten the address wrong,” Tzuyu told her, ready to walk away.

“No! No!” Dahyun shook her head furiously. Grabbing Tzuyu’s wrist, she said, “Jimin’s inside. Let’s go in!”

Tzuyu looked at Dahyun’s hand holding her wrist. She knew she should feel awkward for Dahyun’s sudden display of friendliness. After all, this might be their first interaction. However, there was something inside her that stirred with warmth with Dahyun’s display of brightness.

Dahyun led Tzuyu to the living room, asking her to wait for a while, as Jimin was preparing something in the kitchen. Her eyes roamed around, until her gaze settled on the few picture frames on display.  She saw Jimin’s family picture and also some solo pictures of him and his sibling but what caught her attention was the middle-school graduation picture of Jimin with his arm around Dahyun as they pose for the camera. They also have an elementary graduation picture where Jimin was carrying Dahyun at his back. The last picture was of them as toddlers where Jimin was laughing at a crying Dahyun.

Her trance was halted when Jimin came with a pot while Dahyun carried some bowls and utensils.

Tzuyu then understood what Irene was talking about; she realized why Seulgi was so insecure. It was not just something about Seulgi herself, but it was the undeniable bond that Jimin has with another.

Seulgi must have thought the title of ‘girlfriend’ seemed to be nothing compared to all the years that Jimin spent with Dahyun.

For Dahyun to be featured in the pictures in the living room and for her to be comfortable in this house like it was hers – it was unmistakable that she was a constant in Jimin’s life.

Tzuyu somehow felt envious. She never had a connection as long-term and as deep as theirs.

“We prepared some ramen we can eat while we do our homework,” Jimin spoke, disrupting her thoughts.

“We just did not put that much chili because Chaeyoung does not like spicy things,” Dahyun continued, “But you can add more to your serving.”

“Chaeyoung?” Tzuyu asked, the name foreign to her ears.

“You did not tell her, did you?” Dahyun asked Jimin.

“Oh. I think I actually forgot,” Jimin’s mouth gaped. He scratched the back of his neck before explaining, “Sorry. I forgot to tell you that we’d be doing the homework with them.”

The doorbell then rang and Jimin volunteered to attend to it, so Tzuyu was left with Dahyun.

“Do we have the same teacher?” she asked Dahyun.

Dahyun nodded in reply but she had a pout on her lips, “Sorry. Since Jimin forgot to tell you, you are actually left no choice but to bear with us.”

The other girl bit her lip before continuing, “But if you’re uncomfortable, I can just drag them out. We’ll just study in  my house.”

Tzuyu thought of it for a while.

I may end up being awkward with Jimin too if the two of us were alone. Dahyun is a lot easier to interact with.

“It’s fine,” Tzuyu assured Dahyun, “I’ll be okay.”

“We’re here!”

She turned to the source of the voice and found a small female entering.

She must be Chaeyoung.

Tzuyu knew the next person as Yugyeom for for he was her classmate last year.

But upon seeing the last person to arrive, Tzuyu wanted to take back what she said to Dahyun. Her cheeks felt warm and it must be from embarrassment as she remembered her last interaction with him.

I should have known that Dahyun would also invite Jungkook.

Tzuyu glanced at him, but he averted his gaze. She didn’t know if she should feel thankful or disappointed that he was pretending that he did not know her.

Dahyun then introduced them one by one while Tzuyu made a small bow as she said her name.

“Okay. Let’s go down to business,” Jimin spoke, “First of all, I would like to thank Jungkook for agreeing to tutor us all.”

Tzuyu looked at him, and he widened his eyes in surprise as he said, “I don’t remember agreeing to that.”

Jimin then turned to Dahyun, “You said he agreed.”

Dahyun then flashed a smile before turning to Jungkook with a pleading gaze.

“This is a scam,” Jungkook grunted.

Dahyun then started begging, “Come on. You’re the only one who understood Ms. Kim! Our grades depend on you!”

She then raised her index finger, “Just this one time, please!”

Jungkook heaved a sigh before muttering, “This would be the first and the last.”

“Woohoo!” everyone, except Jungkook then started cheering and clapping while Tzuyu awkwardly followed course, clapping her hands timidly. Dahyun even shared a hi-five with Yugyeom which made Chaeyoung and Jimin laugh while Jungkook just shook his head in exasperation.

Jungkook was a great mentor; Tzuyu would not be surprised if he would be a successful professor someday. She thought she had understood the lesson, but when he explained it, it become more simple and easier to remember. Chaeyoung even asked a few questions which he answered immediately while Dahyun was very responsive commenting if she understood it or not every now and then. Jungkook was very patient as well even if it was difficult to teach Yugyeom who just simply lack interest in the subject-matter. Jimin just gave nods of approval every now and then, even helping Jungkook explain to Yugyeom. Jimin was one of those in our class with high grades; Tzuyu highly doubted he needed this tutoring session with Jungkook.

The ramen in the pot had long been finished and they were on their way to making the actual output for the homework when Dahyun’s phone started ringing.

“Who called?” Jimin asked.

“It’s an alarm,” Chaeyoung answered, “We must turn the TV on.”

“This is the perfect time to take a break,” Yugyeom agreed, “Jungkook hasn’t touched his bowl of ramen yet.”

“I’m okay,” Jungkook intercepted, “We can just continue – “

“No. You are tired,” Yugyeom insisted and handed Jungkook his bowl and a spoon, “You should eat first.”

In between the lines, Jungkook must have understood that it was Yugyeom who was already having a mental breakdown from all the information he needed to absorb.

“Sorry. We must definitely take a pause,” Dahyun spoke, “This is a matter of life and death for me.”

Tzuyu creased her eyebrows as she merely watched Dahyun browse through the channels, until she stopped to one which was showing a music program. Dahyun and Chaeyoung then screamed when Big Bang’s name was announced.

“What’s so good about them?” Yugyeom mumbled.

“Everything!” Dahyun and Chaeyoung answered at the same time.

“I can do what they’re doing!” Yugyeom retorted but the two girls just waved him off, focusing on the television as the performance started.

But seemingly stubborn to prove his point, Yugyeom stood up and started singing to the song and even mimicking the dance moves. Chaeyoung was at first frustrated at how he was blocking the view of the television but then Dahyun joined Yugyeom. Both of them were now dancing and singing loudly to Big Bang’s ‘Lies’. Chaeyoung was, on the other hand, doing the fanchants. Jimin was so amused as he was laughing and cheering the entire time while there was also a small smile playing on Jungkook’s lips as he watched them while eating.

Tzuyu wached Yugyeom and Dahyun, with the television long forgotten but then she felt that someone was staring at her.

“Why?” she asked Chaeyoung.

“You’re beaming,” Chaeyoung pointed out.

That was the only time that Tzuyu noticed that was actually stretched into a big and bright smile.

Tzuyu coughed, trying to erase the smile on her lips as she mumbled, “Sorry.”

“No. Don’t be,” Chaeyoung replied, “I’m sorry for pointing out. It’s just that… smiling suits you well. You should do it more often.”

This time, Tzuyu didn’t hold back at smiling at her in reply before returning her attention to Dahyun and Yugyeom who were still performing their hearts out.

For the first time in a while, Tzuyu was hearing herself laugh.

 


 

There was no note in her locker. There was no one who told her to go, but nevertheless, she found herself going to the rooftop. Perhaps, it was the warm feeling that she was left with after spending a Saturday afternoon at Jimin’s house that made her desire to see them again.

She opened the door, and her heart lept upon finding them instantly.

They were gathered in a small circle. Jungkook was quietly eating, occasionally picking food from the lunch trays of others while Chaeyoung was already drinking her juice, listening to something that Yugyeom and Dahyun were debating about.

Tzuyu took a step back.

The picture of them sitting together was already perfect.

Who am I to suddenly interfere? We do not have any other connection besides being in the same year. We are not even in the same class. I should not have been greedier. Them spending one afternoon with me does not mean they would want to be with me.

I am Chou Tzuyu after all – someone who should only be stared at from afar.

She lowered her head down and she turned to walk away, closing the door behind her.

“Tzuyu!”

A voice halted her steps. She looked back at them and Dahyun was waving at her.

“Have you eaten lunch?” Chaeyoung asked.

She nodded before realizing that she should have lied, then maybe she can spend a lunch with them.

Just one more moment would be enough. I just wanted to feel that warm emotion again.

“Do you still want to be with us?” Dahyun questioned.

She blinked. Her heart was screaming a resounding yes.

“You can also eat more,” Dahyun grinned, “You look like you need more weight.”

“Wouldn’t you mind?” Tzuyu still asked.

Dahyun shook her head before she made space between Chaeyoung and her. She then smiled again before patting the space beside her.

As Tzuyu sat between her and Chaeyoung, the latter spoke.

“You could eat lunch with us tomorrow too.”

“Was that a continuing invitation then?” Tzuyu asked, and Chaeyoung chuckled at how she named Dahyun’s offer.

“You don’t even need an invitation,” Chaeyoung replied, “Welcome to the….”

Her voice trailed, as if trying to find a name for them.

“Rooftop Lunch Club.”

It was Jungkook who finished Chaeyoung’s sentence, and Tzuyu did not know if she should take that as an affirmation that he was okay with me tagging along too.

“That’s a lame name,” Dahyun commented, scowling at Jungkook.

“Big Bang’s a lame name too,” Yugyeom retorted earning a protest from both Dahyun and Chaeyoung.

Tzuyu laughed at their antics, surprising them all before they also burst out into chuckles.


Hello! Here is her promised weekly update! See you every week (Tuesday in the PH?) until her vacation ends. Hahahuhu. Please please drop some comments. I would love to hear your thoughts. Hehe. Since we are all done with character introductions, I hope you all saw how their personalities and how they think and act. We'd now go back to the main story again, and I am not promising the equal distribution of POVs, since this is still mainly a Dahyun fic; however, I will try to give an ample amount of spotlight to the other characters. Hahahuhu. Thank you so much for reading!