012

Back in Neverland

October 2008

Describing Myoui Mina would entail the use of a lot of superlatives. She was the prettiest for even other people crane their necks when she would pass by. She was the kindest – she would devote most of her free time to volunteering for charity organizations; tutoring in the Dance School was just one of many. She was the sweetest as she would always reach out to Jimin to make sure he was okay or just to shower him words of admiration or inspiration.

But what Jimin appreciated the most about Mina was she got along with Dahyun. He finally experienced how to be in a relationship with someone who also cares for his bestfriend. Mina would even go to the extent of making sure that Dahyun would also receive and taste some pastries she baked for Jimin.

“Did you enjoy today?” Mina asked him as they rode a car driven by Mina’s personal chauffeur.

It was his birthday. He celebrated with his family in the morning, and then met with Mina after school to spend the rest of the day with her.

“Hmmm,” he nodded, giving her a smile.

“Really?” Mina asked again, “I feel like I was the one who spent most time playing at the arcades though.”

He chuckled before saying, “I enjoyed seeing you whine when you lose and scream when you win.”

Mina threw him a teasing glare in return.

“Thank you for today, Minari,” Jimin spoke, “Thank you for making me happy on my birthday.”

Mina gave him a gummy smile before saying, “I am happy when you are happy.”

Jimin beamed back as he squeezed Mina’s hand that was laced with his.

“Oh. We’re here,” Mina exclaimed seeing that they have reached his house.

“See you tomorrow, then,” Jimin mumbled as he opened the car’s door.

Jimin exited the car but he was surprised when Mina also went out. He stared at her quizzically for a moment before Mina put his hand on his shoulder while the other cupped his face as she tiptoed to capture his lips.

She was blushing as she flashed a cheeky smile at him and said, “Happy birthday, again.”

Probably too embarrassed with her bold move, Mina quickly went back to the car. But then she rolled over the windows to wave her hand in goodbye. Jimin could only mimic her action, chuckling at the way she just showed her hand and hid her face.

Jimin watched the car disappear in sight. His smile slowly melted away because he was confused at the way his heart did not race even if he had just kissed Mina.

Mina was a really great girlfriend, but Jimin couldn’t understand why he still felt that something was lacking.

He sighed and checked his watch; his birthday was about to end in two hours, yet he felt he hasn’t celebrated the day enough. Then, instead of entering his house, he found himself walking towards Dahyun’s.

As soon as he rang the doorbell, the gate opened, revealing Dahyun wearing a party hat while holding a small cake with a candle on.

“Happy Birthday Mochi!” Dahyun greeted with all enthusiasm.

Jimin’s lips stretched into a big smile, “Were you waiting for me in front of your house, all this time?”

“Well, got some intel from Mina if you were already going home,” Dahyun answered.

“And how did you know I would come to this house?”

“You would, of course,” Dahyun grinned, “You spoil me too much. I know you’d even worry that I would feel bad if I didn’t get the chance to celebrate with you.”

“Of course,” Jimin chuckled, “We haven’t even taken that obligatory polaroid.”

“Hurry up so that we can take that photo before your birthday is over!” Dahyun exclaimed, “Make a wish now. Candle’s melting.”

As soon as he blew the candle of the cake, Dahyun started dragging him into her room, not even giving him a chance to say thank you when her parents greeted him a ‘happy birthday’ upon seeing him. When they got to her room, she made him wear a party hat that matched with hers. They sat on the floor, at the edge of her bed as they took a polaroid photo.

Both of them waited for the photo to develop before Dahyun got a marker to write the date. Then, she hanged it on her wall, together will all the polaroids they took for Jimin’s previous birthdays.

“I brought other’s gifts for you too,” Dahyun said before rummaging through her bag, giving Jimin the gifts from Chaeyoung, Tzuyu, Jungkook and Yugyeom.

“Where’s your gift for me then?”

Dahyun smirked before fishing out a couple of strips of papers from her pocket, “Limited Edition Dahyun coupons!”

Jimin chortled while shaking his head. Dahyun had started giving him coupons ever since they were middle school. The coupons had a range of options – from 10 words of affirmation from her to having Dahyun do whatever he wants.

“When are you going to give me a proper gift, Tofu?”

“Hey! That’s a proper gift!” Dahyun complained as she took a seat beside him, “You’re the only one who receives those!”

She took a pause before adding, “Well actually, I also gave Jungkook some coupons on his birthday last month because I was out of money and ideas.”

Jimin’s mood shifted as soon as he heard Jungkook’s name.

“But still. You’re the one who’s consistently given the opportunity to ask so many favors from me,” Dahyun argued, “You should be honored.”

“I rarely avail them though,” Jimin commented.

“That’s not my fault already,” Dahyun retorted.

Jimin snorted before picking one of the coupons she had just given. He said, “Fine. Maybe I should make use of them more.”

Ask me anything. Kim Dahyun hereby promises to answer one question from Park Jimin, no matter how awkward or weird that question may turn out to be,” Dahyun read the one he gave to her. She turned to him before saying, “Okay. What’s your question?”

Jimin stared at the collage of their photos at her wall as he gave it a thought.

Why are you so close to Jungkook nowadays?

Are you developing feelings for him?

Is he going to replace me soon?

“Can’t think of a question? You can avail it next time – “ Dahyun said upon seeing how lost was Jimin in his own thoughts.

“Have you ever thought of dating me?” Jimin suddenly blurted out.

A long silence ensued after, as if all the energy of celebrating the few hours left of his birthday has dissipated in the air. Jimin turned to Dahyun, because the lack of words from her made him wonder if she was still right beside him.

“I would be lying if I say no. You are a great guy, after all,” Dahyun said as she played with her fingers. She bit her lower lip, “But I always drive those thoughts away. I don’t want to ruin our friendship, Jimin.”

Jimin felt a rampage on his chest with just the simple possibility of being more than her best friend.

“If I tell you I like you now,” Jimin whipered, “Would you be willing to risk it with me then?”

Dahyun met his gaze and beamed, “Can’t answer that. Your coupon only entitles you to one question.”

 


 

November 2008

“That’s prohibited under school rules,” Jungkook said when Yugyeom brought him to a tattoo shop.

“If you get caught,” Yugyeom raised his eyebrows, “Come on. This might make me look mature.”

Yugyeom’s voice then turned into a mumble as he added, “Chaeyoung likes mature guys.”

Jungkook sighed, “Don’t tell me you are getting a tattoo of her name.”

When Yugyeom’s eyes brightened in affirmation, Jungkook could only let out a scoff.

“Well, not really her name,” Yugyeom clarified, “I’m just getting the initials then transforming it into a quote for art purposes.”

“S.C.Y,” Yugyeom explained, holding out three fingers, “Surviving the Challenges of Youth – I’ll have that tattooed on my shoulder.”

“What’s the point if she can’t see it?”

“She can’t see it in school,” Yugyeom argued, “Plus I just really wanna try this. If pain is tolerable, I might get bigger tattoos in the future! Like wings on my back or a snake on the side of my body. Cool things like that.”

The crease in Jungkook’s brows still hasn’t disappeared as he scanned the designs that were posted on the wall.

“You can try it too, if you want,” Yugyeom urged him, “I can pay for you.”

“We can really get suspended if we’re caught,” Jungkook reiterated.

“Hide it well, then,” Yugyeom chuckled, “Breaking the rules is fun. The idea of trouble excites me sometimes.”

It wasn’t long before Yugyeom was called for his turn and Jungkook watched as the design was first penned on Yugyeom’s skin before the tattoo artist started inking. The frown on Yugyeom’s face was telling Jungkook that the process was painful, yet he found it fascinating.

When Yugyeom was told to wait for a while before bandage would be applied, the tattoo artist turned to Jungkook, “Aren’t you getting one?”

Jungkook sheepishly scratched the back of his neck.

The tattoo artist laughed, “I know you are curious kid. You can have a small one just to try it.”

Yugyeom then flashed him an encouraging smile and the next thing Jungkook knew, he was already taking off his top, choosing to have a small tattoo near his left chest, just below his collar bone. The tattoo artist then asked him to choose a simple design in their portfolio or even search one from his phone, but Jungkook couldn’t decide with browsing.

“How about a quote too?” Yugyeom suggested.

Jungkook bit his lower lip before writing a phrase and giving it to the artist.

“Keep Dreaming High,” Yugyeom read the quote that the artist penned on Jungkook’s skin.

The way Jungkook turned his face away from him made Yugyeom think that there was more to the phrase.

“Keep Dreaming High,” he repeated, hands on the waist, before a realization dawned upon him.

As Yugyeom began laughing out loud, Jungkook started blushing hard.

“Shut up,” Jungkook uttered, rubbing his reddened ears.

“Don’t worry, Kook,” Yugyeom beamed, “Your secret’s safe with me.”

 


 

June 2018

“Hey. Be careful,” Dahyun told the kid who greeted Chaeyoung with a hug.

“I miss mom,” the boy spoke.

“I just left you with your Aunt Dahyun and Uncle Jimin for a night and you miss me that bad already?” Chaeyoung asked.

“Of course!” the kid cooed, “I miss you every second that we are apart.”

“What a sweet talker,” Dahyun added as he ruffled the kid’s hair.

Dahyun finally noticed the presence of Jungkook and Yugyeom. She gave them a smile before turning to the kid, “Minho-ya. That’s your uncle Yugyeom and uncle Jungkook. Go greet them.”

Minho then turned to the two males and bowed his head in greeting, “Good day.”

Chaeyoung’s gaze finally met Yugyeom’s and for a while, the latter did not know how to react. The last time he saw her, she was crying because of him.

But then, Chaeyoung smiled, showing the deep dimple on her cheek as she said, “Come on. Jimin’s waiting.”

They all entered the room. Jungkook found Jimin on the bed with a dextrose attached to his arm, but he seemed normal. Jungkook even regretted coming because nothing looked like an emergency.

“Hey, Kook,” Jimin smiled, “Long time no see.”

“Hey,” Jungkook replied.

“Your three days of waiting was just one attempt for Yugyeom,” Jimin teased Dahyun.

Dahyun then glared at him before saying, “Why did I even give you my limited edition coupons? Now, you are not running out of favors.”

“Good thing I kept them,” Jimin shrugged before turning to Yugyeom, “Thanks, Gyeom.”

“The only way to drag him here was to tell him that you were dying,” Yugyeom explained.

“That’s technically not untrue,” Jimin beamed sadly, “Can I speak to Jungkook alone first?”

“Hey! I just came too!” Chaeyoung complained.

“Come on, Chaeng. Let’s just take Minho to the playground downstairs,” Dahyun urged.

“I’ll get going then,” Yugyeom said, “I still have to meet Lisa.”

“Who’s Lisa?” Jungkook turned to him.

“My girlfriend,” Yugyeom gave a small smile.

Jungkook didn’t fail to notice how Jimin and Dahyun exchanged knowing looks while Chaeyoung remained indifferent. Yugyeom then bade goodbye, and Chaeyoung and Dahyun left the room too, leaving Jungkook with Jimin.

“I’m sorry you have to go to your hated place,” Jimin apologized, “If you gave in to Dahyun, you would have met me at home and I could have even prepared you some food.”

“What did you call me for?” Jungkook asked, not liking the way that Jimin was beating around the bush.

Jimin pointed at a drawer and Jungkook got the former’s medical records in it – the scans, the results, everything. Even if Jungkook wasn’t able to finish his medical studies, he had enough knowledge to understand the gravity of the situation.

Jungkook swallowed a lump on his throat before he asked, “Do they know how bad it is?”

“My family knows,” Jimin answered, “But the others, they only know that it is a brain tumor. They don’t know how worse it had already become.”

“Even Dahyun doesn’t know?” Jungkook furrowed his brows.

“Specially not Dahyun,” Jimin replied.

“You wouldn’t be able to hide it, Jimin,” Jungkook stated, “Your health would deteriorate soon.”

“And that’s what I would need you for,” Jimin answered, “I need someone I can trust with my condition to look after me.”


Hello. This is an update to let you know that I am still alive and I stil has the intent to finish this. Hahahuhu. I would be trying my best to update this while I am reviewing for my bar examinations. I hope this story still has some interested readers! And I hope you can comment down your thoughts below, just to let me know that someone's still reading. Haha. Thank you for waiting despite the lapse of almost one year. Huhu. I really am sorry. :(  I will try to pick up and fasten the pace fom here, so brace yourselves. asdjash