013

Back in Neverland

February 2009

“We are not going out on a double-date. We’re just going to hang out as a group, to prove that Valentines is for all kinds of love.”

Yugyeom was conversing with Jungkook’s mother as he waited for Jungkook.

“I wonder when will Jungkook introduce a girlfriend to me,” Mrs. Jeon stated.

Yugyeom laughed in reply because while other parents were busy reminding their children to focus on studies instead of relationships, Jungkook’s mother was more excited of how Jungkook would start dating. While other parents were demandind excellence from their children, Jungkook’s mother was more concerned on how Jungkook could grow up like a normal kid.

Their group had always liked visiting and gathering at Jungkook’s house for his mother was very welcoming. She would even prepare food for them and chat with them. Most specially for Yugyeom, Mrs. Jeon was making him experience again the warmth of a mother.

Their conversation was halted when Jungkook came down from the stairs with loud footsteps before joining them at the dining table where Mrs. Jeon was making dumplings while Yugyeom was trying the cooked ones.

“I’m ready to go,” Jungkook told Yugyeom.

“Okay. I’ll just drink some water,” Yugyeom replied before getting his own glass.

Yugyeom had always frequented Jungkook’s house to the extent that he was already familiar with where their utensils were placed.

“Mom, I have a gift for you,” Jungkook grinned before getting a fossilized flower in his bag, “Happy Valentines.”

“You didn’t have to,” his mother tried to decline, “Don’t you have a girl you like? Just give that to her.”

When Jungkook hesitated to answer, his mother widened her eyes and asked, “Do I know her? Have I met her?”

But then he shook his head and said, “Whether or not I have a girl I like, you are still the number one woman in my life so please accept this small gift which is in no comparison to the amount of love I am willing to give you.”

“Fine. I’ll gratefully accept this gift and all your love for me,” his mother chuckled, playfully ruffling his hair.

“Jungkook, they are already at the mall,” Yugyeom came back to the dining area while reading the message on his phone.

“Okay. Let’s go,” Jungkook replied before muttering, “Ah! Wait.”

“Can you please give away these chocolates? Perhaps to the neighbors’ kids?” Jungkook said to his mother as he gave her all the chocolates left in his locker and on his table that day.

“All of these are for you?” his mother was startled.

“He is extremely popular,” Yugyeom explained, “The students in our school appreciate him better now that they could see his handsome face every day, then they also see his name on top of the list of students every quarter.”

“Ah. That’s nothing,” Jungkook scratched the back of his neck.

“He’s just shy,” Yugyeom added making Mrs. Jeon laugh.

“Hey, let’s go already,” Jungkook urged as he wore his bag again.

“Okay. Okay,” Yugyeom cooed as he also grabbed his bag but then something caught his attention. He picked one of the chocolates piled up in the dining table before asking Jungkook, “Are you sure you are giving this away too?”

Jungkook looked at the chocolate Yugyeom was holding before snatching it and putting it in his bag, making Yugyeom chuckle.

“Mrs. Jeon, I think your son would be able to introduce a girlfriend soon – “

“Bye, Mom!”

Jungkook didn’t let him speak further as he wrapped his arm over Yugyeom’s shoulder and muffled Yugyeom’s mouth with his palm before dragging his friend out of the house. He only released Yugyeom when they were already outside of their house, and even at that time, Yugyeom could not contain his laughter.

“I heard you talk to your mom, Kook. If only you could also unleash some sweet words in front of – “

“Shut up. I’m only doing this because you said this is a convenient excuse for you to spend Valentines with Chaeyoung,” Jungkook glared at him.

Yugyeom grinned before saying, “I’m sure you’ll enjoy too. As long as you are with us, you are bound to have fun.”

It took them no time to be at the mall. They found Dahyun, Chaeyoung and Tzuyu gawking at all the sweets, chocolates, balloons and stuffed toys displayed because of the celebration. Even the mall was blasting with red; different kinds of heart-shaped designs were also seen everywhere.

“Chaeyoung! Do you want anything?” Yugyeom asked the girl, also making known to the others that he and Jungkook have arrived.

“I’m good,” Chaeyoung beamed while shaking her head, “Not really fond of gifts.”

“Yugyeom, wouldn’t you ask me?” Dahyun tried to act cute, “I think I want that pink teddy bear. Can you buy me the smallest one?”

“Buy it yourself,” Yugyeom deadpanned.

In a split second, Dahyun’s pleading eyes became a glare as she lightly kicked Yugyeom’s leg earning a yelp from the male.

“Hey, stop bickering. Let’s go to the arcades now,” Chaeyoung stated, “We have to save a KTV booth for ourselves.”

“Let’s go!” Yugyeom and Dahyun cheered at the same time.

But then Jungkook told them, “You guys go ahead. I will just go to the bathroom.”

The others nodded in affirmation as they began walking. It was only Tzuyu who looked back to Jungkook.

Their day quickly went by as they spent hours singing songs and playing games.

Dahyun didn’t waste the opportunity to sing and dance to Big Bang songs and Yugyeom can only shake his head when he realized that even Tzuyu began singing along the songs too.  It even took a while before Yugyeom can punch songs in the machines that he or Jungkook could sing. However, when Jungkook began singing, the whole booth fell silent.

Then, the next thing he knew, Dahyun was dragging him to sing in the karaoke that was visible and audible to the whole arcade store.  Jungkook vehemently declined but even Yugyeom insisted that he sing because if he would beat the high score, they would win a cash prize.

With four people against him, Jungkook was left with no choice but to sing. As he did so, he gathered a crowd around him, with some even filming him. The four smiled proudly at how Jungkook was able to charm everyone with his voice.

That day too, the bunch found themselves spending a zero centavo for their dinner.

At the end of the day that was supposed to be only for couples, they found themselves with both their hearts and their stomachs full.

Yugyeom took Chaeyoung home and Dahyun opted to stay at the mall. She said that she would be going home with Jimin as soon as his date with Mina ends.

Jungkook was then left with Tzuyu. Together, they took a bus home and because of the celebration that day, it was expectedly crowded. However, Jungkook didn’t fail to notice how most of the males at the bus were checking out Tzuyu and pinning themselves closer towards her. Thus, he stood protectively beside her, enclosing her safely.

Tzuyu glanced at Jungkook and the male met her gaze.

“Are you okay?” he asked.

She nodded and Jungkook then gave her a small smile before closing his eyes.

“Today’s tiring,” he mumbled.

“Hmmm,” Tzuyu hummed, nodding.

She was grateful that Jungkook had closed his eyes because she was given the opportunity to stare more at him and to appreciate his handsome features closer.

 I shouldn’t be misconstruing his kindness. But I want to believe that I am special to him.

Ever since the day that she had seen him in the rooftop, Tzuyu had already taken an interest in Jungkook. It wasn’t hard to fall for him – he was good-looking, he had good grades, and despite his cold façade, he was a warm and kind person. As Tzuyu finally gained high school friends, she also gained more time to be with Jungkook. As she got to know him better, the more she fell for him.

“It’s quite late. Do you want me to walk you home?” Jungkook asked her as they got off the bus.

“Your house is on the opposite direction. I would be fine,” Tzuyu declined.

“I’ll just walk you home. I don’t think any of our friends would forgive me if something happens to you,” Jungkook countered.

He made it clear that he is doing it for other reasons, but I still want to believe that those are mere excuses.

Tzuyu beamed before finally agreeing.

The walk was quiet. They were the least talkative in their group. It was always Yugyeom and Dahyun who carried limitless energy. However, Tzuyu appreciated the way that both her and Jungkook respected each other’s silence.

After all, Jungkook didn’t need to say anything but be beside Tzuyu to make her heart race.

“Thank you, Jungkook,” Tzuyu said as they arrived in front of her house.

Jungkook smiled at her before saying, “Good night, Tzuyu.”

See? He smiled for me just now.

Only for me.

I am special.

But then, the scene at the mall flashed back at Tzuyu’s mind – the scene where she noticed that Jungkook didn’t go to the bathroom, but back to the stall that sold the stuffed toys.

She gulped before calling his name, “Jungkook.”

“Hmmm,” Jungkook turned around.

Am I really special or just delusional?

“Did you enjoy the chocolates I gave you?”

“You gave me chocolates?” Jungkook furrowed his brows, “Sorry but I wasn’t able to take note which one was it.”

“Ah,” Tzuyu exclaimed, masking her disappointment with a smile, “But you do understand why I gave you chocolates today, right?”

Jungkook titled his head, “Because we’re friends?”

“Friends,” the word tasted bitter in Tzuyu’s mouth.

“Uhm. Dahyun gave us all chocolates because we are all her friends,” Jungkook explained, “You gave it to others too – “

“Then, did you buy the pink the teddy bear because you and Dahyun are friends?” Tzuyu retorted.

When Jungkook remained mum, Tzuyu gave out an empty chuckle as she questioned, “Are you giving pink teddy bears to all of us too because we are all your friends?”

Jungkook fell silent before he stuttered, “H-How did you know I bought it?”

Tzuyu closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Her chest had started aching even before she could begin explaining her feelings towards him.

“I didn’t give any other person a chocolate. Only you,” she confessed with a bitter smile.

When Jungkook’s gaze became apologetic, Tzuyu’s heart began breaking but she still chose to continue what she had sated.

Her hands shook as she added, “I really like you, Jungkook.”

She gulped the lump that formed on as she said, ‘I like you more than a friend.”

Jungkook’s gaze fell on the ground as he said, “I- I’m sorry Tzuyu but I don’t feel the same.”

Tzuyu bit her quivering lips before asking, “Is there anything I can do for you to like me back? I can wait for the day that you can consider me as more than a friend.”

Jungkook then shook his head before repeating, “I’m sorry, Tzuyu.”

Tzuyu clenched her fists before asking, “Is it Dahyun?”

For a while, the two just kept staring at each other but slowly, Jungkook nodded his head.

“I like Dahyun,” Jungkook answered, finally admitting his feelings.

 


 

June 2018

“How is your husband like, Tzuyu?” Dahyun asked.

“People respect him. People fear him,” Tzuyu answered, “He has so much power and wealth in his hands.”

“Does he treat you right, though?” Chaeyoung asked, “Money is nothing if he couldn’t love you right.”

“I’m fine,” Tzuyu forced a smile.

“How many years had you been married?” Dahyun asked.

“Three,” she answered, “I met Jackson as my fiancée four years ago, then as soon as I graduated, our parents had us married.”

“Don’t you feel sad that you weren’t able to practice what you studied?” Dahyun probed.

“My parents had always seen my worth in my potential as a bride. I served that purpose as soon as I was married,” Tzuyu replied.

“Still,” Dahyun insisted, “Are you happy?”

Tzuyu’s gaze fell on the floor, “I am trying my best to be happy.”

Then she looked at them as she beamed, “But right now, with the both of you, I am certainly joyful.”

When she and her husband had relocated to Korea, Tzuyu wanted nothing but to meet her high school friends again. Thankfully, because of Jimin’s wishes, Yugyeom was able to keep in touch with her a month before she came to Korea. Thus, when she arrived, it was no longer difficult to see the others. Her heart was filled so much glee when she had scheduled a get-together with Dahyun and Chaeyoung.

She came to Dahyun’s house with a branded dress but when she was offered some comfortable clothes by Dahyun, she excitedly wore them. She loved the way that there was no trace of glamour on her – just her who seemed to be back in her high school life, having a sleep-over in her friend’s house.

“It’s a pity we couldn’t attend your wedding,” Chaeyoung commented, “I’m sure you were the most beautiful bride.”

“That’s okay. I was in China as soon as we graduated high school. I understand that it was hard to keep in touch,” Tzuyu exclaimed, “I can just show you my photos.’

Chaeyoung chuckled before saying, “No need to. I am certain even without seeing them.”

“How about you, Chaeng?” Tzuyu asked before eyeing the kid who was already sleeping on the bed, “How’s your marriage?”

The mood then dropped as Chaeyoung answered, “I am not married.”

Tzuyu was left-dumbfounded for a while before she asked, “But what about Minho’s father?”

“He’s a non-existent person,” Chaeyoung said as she gently brushed the strands of hair away from Minho’s face, “Some man I just slept with.”

“He’s irrelevant, Tzuyu,” Chaeyoung added, “I am both Minho’s mom and dad right now.”

Tzuyu nodded before saying, “You’re a strong person, Chaeng.”

“I have to be. I am fighting life both for myself and for Minho now,” Chaeyoung exclaimed.

“How’s job-hunting?” Dahyun asked.

“Awful,” Chaeyoung grimaced, “It’s hard to find a job without any college education. I guess I have to leave Minho again to you and Jimin tomorrow. It’ll be another day of job hunting.”

“That’s fine, Chaeng,” Dahyun tried to comfort her as she ran a hand on Chaeyoung’s back, “You’ll find something soon and I’m sure it will be enough to even send Minho to school.”

“I hope so,” Chaeyoung gave a small smile.

Tzuyu stood up as she spotted a familiar item in Dahyun’s room. She chortled as she lifted the pink teddy bear.

“You still have this?” Tzuyu asked Dahyun.

“I still don’t know who left it at my locker the day after Valentines,” Dahyun stated.

“Dahyun likes keeping it as a reminder that somebody had a crush on her,” Chaeyoung teased.

“He probably forgot me now. Probably just some silly high school crush,” Dahyun stated, “Teddy bear’s cute though.”

“You don’t have a clue who it is from?” Tzuyu questioned.

Dahyun shook her head, “Do you know who gave it?”

Tzuyu beamed but gave no answer.

“How’s Jungkook?” she asked instead.

Dahyun beamed as she said, “He agreed to take care of Jimin.”


Hello. I will try my best to give a weekly update. Hehe. Probably every Monday. Please drop some comments!