9 - Trigger

Will we be together at the end ?

Taeyong was about to walk straight to the lift when he realised his mailbox had a pile of letter in it. Yuta said he wanted to spend some times with Winwin since they didn’t meet a lot because Winwin had been in China for months. Seeing all the letters in the mailbox made him thought that Jaehyun didn’t really interfere his privacy and he was always grateful for that. He smiles thinking about the man and also the teokbokki he packed up specially for him. Taeyong took the letters and hopped into the lift. He put the food on the island in the kitchen and sat himself on the sofa, ready to skim through the letters. Most of the letters are fliers from banks and bills. But this one particular letter which had “To. Taeyong” written on it made him nervous. The letter was obviously put in the box by the sender itself. The letter was sealed with a red car sticker, which reminded him to Minyoung because despite being a girl she always loved playing with cars especially red ones. Taeyong’s breath started to hitch. He had a bad feeling about the letter. Knowing that he was going to read something that would trigger something in him. He opened the letter.

 

 

To my dear Taeyong,

It is your stepmother, who gave born to your stepsister Lee Minyoung. By the time you read this letter, I assumed I am not living and breathing on this Earth anymore. As you are aware, I has cancer. Incurable they said. That was when I started panicking because no one will be there to take care of Minyoung anymore. Minyoung is too spoiled. She wouldn’t suvive alone in this world so I told her I wanted to meet you. But I guess it was my biggest mistake ever. I shouldn’t have let her visit your selfish . You don’t love us. You hated us with all your life especially me and dad. These aren’t excuses but Taeyong, I swear I never hated you when we lived together.. I was just delusional thinking that your dad will love you more than he will love my daughter. I was insecure, not knowing what you faced alone. When dad sold you off to Johnny’s family, I didn’t know anything about it. I remembered that man coming home drunk saying that we are rich now. I was clueless but after a few weeks you didn’t comeback home I knew what that old wicked man did. I didn’t know what he had been doing with the money he got but one day when I got back home from grocery shopping, our house was wrecked. Everything was on the floor, showing how the doer wanted to scare us off. I started packing for Minyoung and I when that devil come back home drunk, saying that I should start dressing up myself and Minyoung prettily because he had sold us off. I was grateful he was actually dead-drunk that I quickly left the house and fetched Minyoung from school. We moved to my hometown. I lied to her saying that he left us because I don’t want to tell her the truth. After you left he kept abusing Minyoung. Beating out of her with belt and even soju bottle. I always wanted to escape but I was afraid that he will hunt us but when the opportunity came that day, I snatched it. I am grateful for you and the same time really despise you. If you didn’t leave the house these won’t happen but we all would suffer. The news of Minyoung’s death broke my heart. It won’t change anything because I am dying too.  Both of us can just meet up there in a moment. But I still hate you for ruining that child’s life. He would go to the university and got a job as a teacher that she has always wanted to but no. You ruined it. Lee Taeyong, I hope we all won’t meet each other in our next life.

 

Taeyong had mixed feeling in him. Guilty, sad, hatred. But mostly guilt. He felt like he shouldn’t be born on this world. Everything that happened in his life was something he believed won’t happen in other’s normal life. Taeyong vision started getting blurry as the tears gather in his eyes. Everyone in his life faced infortunes.  That was when Jaehyun came up in his mind. His tears started coming out more, wetting his pretty face that turned swollen.

 

“I need to let go of Jaehyun. If I don’t, everything will be bad for him. I don’t want to ruin his life,” Taeyong stuttered. He took his phone out of his pocket and called Johnny. The man on the other line groaned, obviously was sleeping.

 

“I am coming to Chicago. Can I like have my own flat ? Near a university there ?” Taeyong spurted.

 

“What the…. Are you gonna live with us now ?” His hoarse voice rang through Taeyong’s ear, knowing the man was fully awake.

 

“Technically, no. I will tell you everything when I arrived. Please fetch me at the airport later. My flight is in 3 hours. Bye,” with that Taeyong quickly packed his bag, mostly the necessary ones because he wouldn’t come back in the near future. For a long time.