Chapter 5: Changes

⫸Troubled Ⅰ⫷ MISLED

[Yuri's POV]
 

It's my third day in the hospital. Unlike before, where leaving the hospital was what I looked forward to the most, this stay was very different. 

 

Though the earlier parts of my days were pretty much the same - being awkward with the nurses, watching random channels on the TV, staring out the window, once afternoon came, even with the sun setting, everything seems much brighter.

 

"Yah! That's mine!" 

 

"I asked you~"

 

"You didn't even wait for my reply!"

 

A smile crept across my face as I watched two first years argue about a mere bag of chips. 

 

Yesterday, after embarrassing myself by crying like a little kid, Yena-unnie asked me if she could bring the group with her to visit me. 

 

Of course, I contemplated about it for a long time - maybe even too long. I was so caught up with my thoughts that I almost forgot someone was in the room with me. 

 

Eventually, I agreed to it. Up until noon, I was slowly beginning to regret my decision, unsure of how I was going to face them after what happened in the infirmary. 

 

Once they arrived, however, my mind was released from those thoughts. None of them even brought it up and instead focused on asking me things like How are you? or Are you still hurt? and other things out of concern. 

 

Yujin and Wonyoung, rather than actually paying me any mind, were just busy playing around with each other. Yena-unnie would constantly get caught up in the first years' little bickering and would stop them whenever things got too heated. Of course, they were never really serious about it, and couldn't stand ignoring each other for more than a minute.

 

Among them, the person who actually talked to me the most was Chaewon. 

 

"Look at these people treating the hospital room like some playground," Chaewon shook her head, before looking back at me, "Then again, If they're making you all smiley like that, I guess it's a good thing."

 

"S-Smiley?" That's something I've never been called before, "A-Ah... Was I smiling a lot?"

 

"You bet," she giggled, "Anyways, let me be the only useful person in the room for you. We're in different classes but I asked some of your classmates about it and our lessons matched so I made a summary for you. Though now that I think about it, I always see your name within the top 20 of the examination lists so you might not need it."

 

"A-Ah, that's not it," I shook my head, "It's.. It's more like I'm always alone so I have a lot of time to study. I think I've spent most of my life with books than actual people.."

 

"Well, either way, since I already made it, here," She handed me a folder, "It's just outlines and stuff. It should be easier to catch up with the lessons that way."

 

"Thank you," I took the folder from her and opened it, scanning the outline she made. I've read these lessons before but her outline made everything sound simpler. Her hand-writing was neat, and the ideas were all organized, "Waaa.. I've read this lesson before but it looked a lot more complicated in the book.."

 

"Well, you know how school books are," she shrugged, "A lesson could have over 30 pages dedicated to it when in reality, the summary at the end of the lesson teaches you everything you need to know."

 

"That's so true.." I continued to scan the lesson outlines, nodding to myself as I did.

 

"I can't believe you're making her study while she's in the hospital," Yujin whined as she turned to us.

 

"Well, I guess she could do without studying much," Chaewon smirked, "Unlike a certain first year I know who wouldn't survive without Wonyoung, Yuri actually takes care of her grades."

 

Yujin exaggerated a gasp, "Excuse me? For your information, I'm trying my best."

 

"Okay, Okay," Chaewon teased, "Sure, Ahn You-really-need-to-help-me-Wonyoung-I'll-die-if-you-don't Yujin."

 

"H-Hey! You didn't have to say that-" Yujin pouted.

 

"But did she lie?" Wonyoung laughed.

 

"Yah!" Yujin pushed her playfully.

 

I found myself giggling to myself at the scene that played out. I've never been surrounded by so much people before... Not like this, at least. I know, there's literally just four other people so it's not much but.. This is a lot for me.

 

I'd be lying if I said I was okay now, and that I'm not worried about them anymore. Of course, those voices in my head won't leave me alone that easily. If it was that easy, I wouldn't have lived my life the way I did all this time.

 

Even as I giggle and smile, there's still sadness and fear present in me but I want to change. I.. It's about time I stop focusing so much on myself. I should stop running away and start thinking about other people's feelings... I've lived for the sake of protecting myself but.. I know I can't keep doing that.

 

There's only so much I can do by myself...

 

 

.

 

 

.

 

 

 

...I find myself staring at Yena-unnie again. Huh.. Thinking about it.. Ever since I met her, I already started changing, didn't I? I.. I couldn't even look at anyone prior to meeting her. What have you done to me?

 

I sighed, looking away from her and noticing that Chaewon had been looking at me. Wait, did she catch me staring??

 

"Y-Yes?" I weakly asked. 

 

"No, it's nothing," she shook her head with an innocent smile on her face, "She's pretty, isn't she?"

 

"W-What?!" I exclaimed a bit louder than I should have.

 

"She's not?" Chaewon titled her head.

 

"No- I didn't- I didn't say that!" I defended, "I- I mean- She's- Y-Yeah, I guess."

 

"That's probably the loudest I've heard Yuri-unnie speak," Yujin looked at me with wide eyes. 

 

"I've never heard her voice so clearly before..!" Wonyoung started shaking Yujin.

 

"What are you two talking about?" Yena-unnie raised a brow.

 

"I-It's nothing," I waved my hands in front of me.

 

"Yeah~ It's between us~" Chaewon stuck her tongue out.

 

Yena-unnie stared for a while... But then went back to watching TV.

 

I let out a sigh of relief when she turned away, glaring a little at Chaewon who just laughed. I didn't even know I had it in me to glare at anyone.. But I wasn't scared as usual. Is this what it feels like to joke around with friends? This thing must be trivial to other people but it's special to me.

 

Would.. Would I be able to change for the better if I start looking at others more carefully? Rather than making assumptions based on my own feelings, would it be much better if I actually take time to see the real them?

 

This isn't even a question. I know that I have to. I can see their efforts in trying to understand me.. I need to return the favor.

 

 

 

 

 

~ + ~

 

 

 

 

[After a few days or so; Yuri's discharge from the hospital...]

 

 

 

 

[General POV]
 

"Your bruises are significantly lighter in color than when you first got here," the doctor smiled.

 

"Your right leg received the most damage but after a long rest and a bit of exercise, you've started being able to walk comfortably again. I'd still advise that you avoid doing strenuous activities for a few more days but all in all, your condition has improved. Once everything is settled in the accounts, you may go home."

 

Yuri only nodded, only taking occasional glances at the doctor. In fact, in the entire exchange, it was Yena that kept conversing with the doctor. While Yuri was busy trying to avoid eye contact, Yena was asking all the questions Yuri probably should have asked herself.

 

It was very obvious from Yena's view that the doctor was trying his best to communicate with Yuri and that he was really thankful whenever Yena would catch his questions and answer them when Yuri didn't say anything.

 

The only thing Yuri cared for was the fees. Having reached out to the school, they managed to obtain her parents contact information but they remained out of reach for the duration of her stay. Having no other choice, Yena had talked her family into helping Yuri until her parents could be reached. After hearing the situation, Yena's parents immediately agreed.

 

Yuri would reject, but she had no other options. It's not like she could pay it herself so she accepted Yena's offer. After some discussions with Yena, the doctor bowed down and excused himself, "I'll be back once I've settled everything with your dad."

 

Yena bowed back, watching as the doctor walked out the door. Once the doctor was gone, Yuri finally spoke, saying, "I'm really sorry about this... Your parents had to pay for me.. Ugh.. I'll make sure to pay it back as soon as I can talk to my parents."

 

"No pressure," Yena had the brightest smile, "Once they heard what happened, Mom and Dad agreed without a second thought. Don't go greeting Dad with an apology. You should be saying 'thank you' instead."

 

"R-Right," Yuri nodded. She took a deep breath, thinking about how she should face Yena's dad. She was nervous of course. He was offering help to a person he's never met. Not to mention the fact that Yuri had initially thought poorly and Yena and still hears those voices from time to time. 

 

Unlike Yuri who was overthinking everything, Yena was rather cheerful that day. Hearing from the doctor just how much better Yuri has gotten restored her cheery attitude. Yuri always saw her as the cool and reliable unnie from the way Yena took care of her but though that's true in a way, more often than not, Yena likes to mess around and is actually a huge troublemaker.

 

Because Yuri was still distant when they first met, Yena couldn't risk scaring her off by being too crazy around her. She was aware that Yuri didn't exactly have many friends and that her usual approach might be too much. But then again, maybe if she had been friendlier from the start, Yuri wouldn't assume that she's a bully. 

 

Well, that's all in the past now so Yena decided that it's time to stop thinking about it. What's important now is trying to get Yuri to open up to her. Recently, with the help of Chaewon and the kids, Yuri's been a bit more active in conversations. She noticed that Yuri was stuttering less when talking to her and even started conversing properly. It was also to note that Yuri would look at her more often. Maybe too often

 

She isn't acting like they're worlds above her anymore though there are time where her old habits surface. Yuri  would sometimes slip and say 'someone like me'  when referring to herself so the group would always try to reassure her when she does.

 

After a bit of waiting, a nurse entered the room. "The doctor is waiting at the reception with Mr. Choi."

 

"Ah, we'll be right there," Yena smiled at the nurse who immediately left after giving them the message.

 

Yena innocently extended her hand towards Yuri, "Let's go."

 

Yuri looked at Yena's hand, then at Yena, then back at her hand. 

 

Yena tilted her head, blinking. She was trying to look as composed as possible, keeping her smile still. She was used to casually holding hands with friends before but the thought of doing it with Yuri made her slightly nervous.

 

On the other hand, though Yuri had little to no form of physical interactions with other people, she knew exactly what Yena was waiting for. Yuri looked at Yena, seeing that she looked really normal about it. Friends do these things, she thought to herself, before slowly and carefully reaching for Yena's hand and gently taking hold of it.

 

Yena felt her smile getting wider as she watched Yuri reach for her hand, feeling Yuri's soft hands touching hers. She quickly turned away and they begun to make their way to the reception. 

 

There seemed to be a clear contrast between them as they walked. While Yena looked really bright, Yuri had been looking down, or more specifically, staring at their intertwined hands the entire walk. She hasn't done this before, at least not in this context. Definitely, she's experienced having her hands held but it wasn't gentle like this. By her bullies, it was forceful, painful, and it left her hand reddened and numb.  

 

Yuri's cheeks were flushed, and maybe she had been looking down so that her long hair could properly hide it. That is, if she was aware of it herself. Yuri was feeling an entirely different kind of nervous as she held hands with Yena but she couldn't exactly describe it. Rather than the nervousness she felt around Jiyoung, the way she felt with Yena was similar yet different.

 

Yuri couldn't help but get distracted, as if staring at their joined hands hypnotized her. She asked herself multiple times 'What is this feeling?'  but she couldn't answer it. Of course, there's no way she can and ask Yena about that. Yuri shook her head and finally looked ahead, noticing that they stopped in front of the elevator.

 

Seeing as she only became more confused the more she thought about it, Yuri dismissed her nervousness as her being unfamiliar with these friendly actions. She just wasn't used to it. 

 

The elevator opened, and the two went inside. With her free hand, Yena pressed the first floor button, humming as she did. The elevator ride didn't last long. They came from the 3rd floor so it was over almost immediately. 

 

After a bit more walking, they could finally see the reception where the doctor and Yena's dad were talking. 

 

"Appa!" Yena ran over to her dad, pulling Yuri all the way with her. 

 

"Oh, My daughter," Mr. Choi greeted them with a smile, "This is your friend?"

 

"Ah- Hello.." Yuri let go of Yena's hand and bowed politely, "M-my name is Jo Yuri. Nice to meet you."

 

"Ah, she's a cute girl," Mr. Choi nodded, "Nice to meet you."

 

"Appaaa," Yena pouted. 

 

"Of course, my daughter is cuter," he laughed.

 

"Really~?" Yena smiled almost immediately.

 

Yuri found the way Yena acted really cute and endearing. Even though she was older, Yena didn't really feel older at that moment. When Yuri realized what she was thinking of, however, she shook her head, trying to get the thought out of her head. 

 

"Well, the doctor said we can go," Mr. Choi bowed to the doctor slightly, "We're dropping you home."

 

"Ah you-" Yuri would reject but immediately changed her answer, "Ah, t-thank you."

 

Yena looked at Yuri for a moment, and then smiled. She was expecting her to reject the offer as she does with everything else. Needless to say, Yena's mood only kept on improving today. She was very much aware of how much she smiled today. The little changes in Yuri made her happier and happier.

 

As Yena followed her dad out, Yuri quickly caught up, unconsciously reaching for and holding Yena's hand. Her mind lagged for a moment until she realized what she just did. As she was about to pull her hand away, Yena tightly held her hands back, preventing her from doing so. 

 

Yena turned back for a moment, flashing Yuri a sly smile before looking away again. Yena felt so successful, as if a miracle had happened, when Yuri held her hand. 

 

In that short moment, Yuri almost forgot how to breathe. Her heart started racing in a way that she's never experienced before. It wasn't fear that she was feeling nor was it anxiety. Yuri just didn't know what she was feeling or maybe she really knew what it was but she couldn't understand it. But one things for sure, she didn't want to let go of Yena's hand.

 

 

.

 

 

.

 

 

.

 

[After driving for a while, in front of Yuri's house...]

 

 

"Oh, your house is pretty close to the school," Yena commented, looking at their surroundings through the car window once the car slowed to a stop, "I pass by here on my bike when going to school."

 

"Yeah..." Yuri looked out as well, "It usually takes me around 10 minutes to get to school."

 

"We live pretty close by too," Yena pointed at a group of tall buildings, "You see that apartment complex a few blocks away? We live in one of those buildings."

 

"Oh..." Somehow, the simple fact that they lived in the same neighborhood made Yuri feel at ease. She opened the car door and stepped out, looking back at the car, "Um.. Thanks for dropping me off."

 

Yena lowered the car window, leaning out, "You're welcome."

 

"You act like you drove the care," Mr. Choi laughed, "You be careful now, Yuri."

 

"Ah, yes," Yuri bowed. 

 

When the car was about to leave, Yena suddenly stopped her dad, "Ah! Appa! Wait!"

 

Sticking her head out of the window, Yena turned back to Yuri, asking, "Hey, what time do you go to school? Are you going to school tomorrow or are you going to rest some more?"

 

"Huh? Um.. I usually leave the house at around 6:50," Yuri was confused by her question but answered anyways, "And, um.. I.. I was planning on going to school. I've taken a week off already."

 

"You go to school early, huh."

 

"I don't like walking with a lot of people.."

 

"Hm.. Yah, let's go to school together," Yena offered.

 

"Are you sure???" Yuri blinked, "I-I mean.. I go to school really early."

 

"What are you talking about?" Yena laughed, "If you don't remember when we first met, I was already at school before you got there. Besides, it's not like I'm changing routes. I pass by here all the time."

 

"...T-Then, I.. guess it's fine," the mere thought of walking to school with someone made Yuri feel gayer. Gay as in cheery and happy, of course. 

 

She always walked to school alone. Even when she was friends with her, they couldn't walk home together because they lived in opposite directions.

 

She wouldn't openly admit it but she was actually looking forward to it. Maybe the fact that she's done nothing but suffer her entire life made her yearn for these things even more. She wasn't even sure if it was a good thing or a bad thing. 

 

She could feel the desire inside her; the desire for a better life, for everything she couldn't experience before. She worried that she might become too selfish but at the same time, she felt like she deserved at least that.

 

She gazed blankly into the distance, watching as the car drove away and disappeared from her view... And she eventually went into her house. 

 

"I'm home," she said, but no one replied. Her parents still weren't back. Having no energy to do anything else, she went straight up to her room, flopping on her bed the moment she saw it. 

 

So much things happened in her life in such a short span of time. In fact, the last few weeks were probably more notable than her entire life. She doesn't even remember the last time something different and unique happened in her daily life prior to meeting Yena.

 

Before Yuri met her, everything was the same. Every single day of her life felt like it was on replay... And she herself was stuck in a loop with no hope of coming out.

 

She reflected on the time that she spent with Yena and all the things that happened in those short two weeks. Her eyes started to feel heavy, nearly closing completely. 

 

It was probably around 6 in the evening but it's not like she had things to do. 

 

"Choi.. Yena.." the name slipped out of through a whisper. It didn't take her too long before she went into a deep slumber.

 

 

 

 

~ + ~

 

 

 

||a/n: Since Yuri's starting to become more open to understanding others, we're switching from her pov to the general pov so we can start seeing Yena's side as well. Also, progress!! Well, they only held hands but still! 

Everything seems to be working out.. But things don't magically get better all of a sudden, do they? 

We still haven't gotten problematic Jiyoung out of the story... nor have we gotten Yuri's phone back.  I know you guys are also curious about this 'her' that Yuri keeps remembering... 

We're getting there.. I wanted to give you guys some nice things first.. Before things go down.||