Chapter 9: Reversal

⫸Troubled Ⅰ⫷ MISLED

Timidly peaking in, a familiar nervousness seeping in, Yuri went to Yena's classroom to call her for lunch. As if the world wasn't going to make things easy for her, Seoeon, who was usually by the door and ready to call Yena for her, was currently on the other side of the room, talking to Yena. 

 

 

Yuri definitely wasn't calling out to her. She didn't have the courage to.. So she continued to look into the room, wondering what she should do.

 

 

Thankfully, the person sitting in front of Yena, Sakura, had noticed her and waved. Sakura signaled for her to come inside and though she was hesistant, Yuri followed and entered the room, walking over to Yena's side.

 

 

"Ah- Oops," Seoeon sounded after seeing her. "I didn't notice you today."

 

 

"It.. It's okay.. Oppa.." 

 

 

Yuri turned to Yena, gently speaking, "Unnie.. Let's go.."

 

 

Yena flinched a little as Yuri hasn't spoken to her for days. Quietly, she got out of her seat, walking off with Yuri trailing behind her. When Yuri noticed how cold Yena was being, she couldn't bring herself to walk next to Yena, remaining a few steps behind.

 

 

Yuri had conflicting thoughts all over her mind. Some of them saying she deserves this treatment and that she should accept it.. The others being how much she doesn't like this atmosphere between them. 

 

 

Yuri was a hypocrite, she knew that much. Even though she was the one avoiding Yena until recently, here she was getting hurt because Yena was doing the same thing to her. 

 

 

Of course she's going to ignore you. She tried and tried to accept that but the image of the smiles Yena used to flash her were coming back to her. She was taking Yena's kindness for granted... She did all those horrible things to Yena while the latter only ever thought of her.

 

 

The two reach the cafeteria, getting their food before joining the group who were already waiting for them. The three already sensed the aloof aura surrounding Yena from the moment she sat on the table. 

 

 

Yena started eating her food, not doing as a little as greeting them. Chaewon looked at Yuri, who returned an apologetic gaze. They also started to eat, Yena's silence influencing the entire group to eat in silence with her. 

 

 

Yujin and Wonyoung couldn't act as energetically as usual when Yena wasn't even talking to them. Because Chaewon knew that none of them would speak up, she decided to be the hero and spoke up first.

 

 

"Yena?" 

 

 

Yena looked up from her food but didn't say anything. 

 

 

"Stupid question but.. Are you okay?" Chaewon raised a brow. She knew Yena wasn't okay but she wanted to see if Yena would say anything. No matter how many times she asked, Yena wouldn't tell her anything so she nearly clueless about the situation.

 

 

Yena stared for a bit.. before going back to eating. 

 

 

Chaewon sighed, unsure of how she was going to get Yena to talk. Then again, she wasn't sure if making her talk was the right choice.. So she looked at Yuri. Chaewon was point at Yena with her eyes, urging Yuri to do something but Yuri would shake her head with a panicked expression. 

 

 

"Yah, Jo Yuri," Chaewon called her with a stern tone, gaining her another look from Yena. Chaewon wasn't the type to confront people but Yena's condition only went downhill the longer they spent time with Yuri. Yena refused to tell her the details but it was obvious that it had everything to do with Yuri and it was pissing her off.

 

 

Yuri winced at the tone Chaewon used. Chaewon was the most gentle member of the group so she wasn't expecting that from her.. But it made sense to Yuri; she's been hurting Chaewon's best friend endlessly from the moment they met. 

 

 

"I understand that you've got issues but pull yourself together," Chaewon scolded. The look in her eyes were intense, making Yuri shiver when their eyes met. Instinctively, Yuri looked down at the table, unable to maintain their eye contact.

 

 

"Ugh," Chaewon finished her food quickly, getting up. The group watched as Chaewon left the cafeteria, none of them, not even Yena, stopping her.

 

 

"Uh- Um-" Wonyoung tried to say something but she couldn't come up with anything to say in the situation. Yujin looked at Wonyoung, shaking her head to signal that she shouldn't continue.

 

 

In a few minutes, Yena had also finished her food. She got up and picked up her tray as well as the tray Chaewon left behind and took them away. After returning them to the counter, she proceeded to leave the cafeteria as well. 

 

 

Yuri, left behind with the worried Yujin and Wonyoung, was eating her food rather slowly as if she was having trouble swallowing her food. She was trying to stop herself from crying as she chewed, the worry in the younger girls growing. 

 

 

.

 

 

.

 

 

Yujin and Wonyoung tried to match Yuri's pace, staying with her until she managed to finish eating.

 

.

 

 

.

 

After a few more minutes, Yuri finally finished eating - No, she didn't finish her food. She told the two that she lost her appetite and that she's already eaten what she could eat. Once Yuri got up to return her tray, the other two followed her, returning their trays with her. After returning their trays, Yuri did her best to give them a weak smile as she said,

 

 

"You don't have to walk with me. You can go ahead."

 

 

"Are you sure, Unnie?"

 

 

"Yes.. I'm sure, Yujin."

 

 

"Really..?"

 

 

"Yes... Yes I am, Wonyoung."

 

 

Of course, they weren't stupid enough to believe Yuri.. But they respected her enough not to press any further. They noticed how tears have been threatening to fall from Yuri's eyes since Yena had left and they didn't want to push any further.

 

 

Accepting defeat, Yujin and Wonyoung left the cafeteria without Yuri, the latter watching the two leave.. before heading out a few moments after them. Shortly after she leaves the cafeteria, she runs into someone on the staircase... Someone she didn't exactly want to meet.

 

 

"Ah, Jo Yuri," Seoeon gave her a serious expressing despite the smile on his face, "Can we talk for a moment?"

 

 

"If it's not important, then no." She didn't plan on outright rejecting his request but he really wasn't someone she liked talking to... For obvious reasons.

 

 

"Are you saying Yena isn't important?"

 

 

Yuri, who tried to walk past him, stopped after hearing his question. 

 

 

"It won't take long," He added. "Actually, right here will do. There aren't any other people nearby."

 

 

Yuri looked at him as to say he had her attention. 

 

 

"I'm going to confess and ask Yena out." Seoeon declared, "Later, at the bike parking I'll ask if we could talk."

 

 

Yuri's eyes widened at his bold statement, her hands balling into a fist.

 

 

"...And you're.. telling me because?" 

 

 

"Ah.. I just considered that maybe you'd want the opportunity to stop me."

 

 

"This.. has nothing to do with me, Oppa."

 

 

"I said I just considered it. If you're not going to stop me.. then that's better for me."

 

 

"...Do what you want." Yuri went up the stairs, hastily trying to get away from him only to finally notice someone standing there when she almost bumped into the person who listened in on them. 

 

 

"....You're lucky you didn't bump into me," Jiyoung glared intensely. It was the first time in a while that Jiyoung talked to her.. and glared at her like that. "If you bumped into me, I would've pushed you down."

 

 

"I would've caught her, you know," Seoeon took notice of the girl, smirking at her, "Didn't you know it's rude to eavesdrop?"

 

 

"Tch," Jiyoung continued making her way down the stairs, "I hope you get rejected, bastard."

 

 

"You too," Seoeon rolled his eyes, "You haven't been able to stick around her lately, have you? You used to hog all of her free time.."

 

 

"Shut up," Jiyoung looked back, giving Seoeon the same intense glare she had given to Yuri.

 

 

"Is that how you talk to your senior, Jiyoung?"

 

 

"I told you to shut up, bastard."

 

 

"Yeah, it was nice seeing you too," Seoeon replied with a sarcasm, walking up the stairs and pushing Yuri along. "You should move along too, Yuri."

 

 

"I'm not done with either of you," Jiyoung's voice was full of resentment as she walked away. 

 

 

"Move along," Seoeon kept pushing Yuri up the stairs until they reach the second floor. 

 

 

"Off to your classroom you go," Seoeon lightly pushed her to the hallway. "I wouldn't hold it against you if you stopped me."

 

 

Yuri ignored his last statement, taking quick steps to get to her classroom but before that, she checked Chaewon's classroom, looking in from the classroom's hallway window. Chaewon was fiddling around with her phone, still looking clearly pissed from what happened earlier.

 

 

Yuri let out a sigh as she headed back to her classroom. 

 

 

.....

 

 

Everything suddenly made sense. 

 

 

Yuri was always wondering about it, the reason why Jiyoung suddenly became violent with her. Jiyoung wasn't the nicest person in the world to begin with but to the point where she had to be hospitalized? It never happened before.

 

 

 At first, she thought it was because Jiyoung didn't like the fact that someone was defending her... But from the conversation between Seoeon and Jiyoung, it wasn't that simple.

 

 

"I hope you get rejected, bastard."

 

 

"You too."

 

 

Only now did Yuri realize Jiyoung's true motives. Jiyoung became violent with her not because someone was defending her.. but because it was Yena in particular that was defending her. She wouldn't be surprised if Jiyoung continued to bully her.. Hell, Jiyoung could've easily stood up against whoever defended Yuri...

 

 

But Jiyoung couldn't do that because it was Yena. It wasn't like Jiyoung told her; That she feared Yena. That was far from the real reason why Jiyoung couldn't fight back.

 

 

Seoeon liked Yena... And from the tone of his conversation with Jiyoung, it seems that Jiyoung feels the same way.

 

 

Jiyoung has feelings for Yena.

 

 

......

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

...Yuri started feeling desperate. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

...She isn't the only person who wants Yena's attention.

 

 

 

 

....

 

 

 

 

 

...She isn't the only person in Yena's life.

 

 

 

~ + ~

 

 

 

[Dismissal...]

 

 

Ever since the group reached the bike parking, Chaewon couldn't help but notice how fidgety Yuri was being. Yuri, the girl who was usually quietly waiting, still and without movement, was constantly pacing back and forth, looking around almost frantically as if she was expecting someone. 

 

 

At a certain point, Yuri stopped moving around, her eyes glued to someone who approached them. With only a sly smile towards Yuri, Seoeon approached the group, going straight to Yena. Yuri's eyes never left Seoeon... She was studying his every movement, her chest tightening the closer he got to Yena. 

 

 

"Duckie, I'm borrowing your bike and your company again today."

 

 

"Not today, Seoeon."

 

 

"It has to be today."

 

 

Yena looked at Seoeon, narrowing her eyes as she displayed an annoyed look on her face. Seoeon inched his face closer to her ears, whispering, "Trust me on this one. Just.. keep resisting, alright? Things might get complicated.. because of.. someone.. But, I'll do something about it so just play along."

 

 

"...What?" Yena didn't really know what he was up to but she was compelled to do as she was told.

 

 

"Come on! It's not like you have anything better to do..."

 

 

"And if I do??"

 

 

"Well- Cancel it for me!"

 

 

"I never knew you were that special to me, Seoeon."

 

 

"Aww, Duckie~ You wound me~"

 

 

"Bastard, learn to take no for an answer." Another person, Jiyoung, joined the group. She directed a piercing glare at Seoeon and was likewise receiving  an equally threatening stare from Chaewon. Even though she didn't like this entire situation, Chaewon decided to keep quiet, trying not to involve herself too much until something happens to Yena at which point, she's ready to fight.

 

 

"This has nothing to do with you.. My lovely junior, Yook Jiyoung~" 

 

 

"She refused, didn't she?"

 

 

"Why are you suddenly butting in, anyways, dear Jiyoung?"

 

 

"Look here, bastard-"

 

 

"Also, can't you call me in a nicer way? Like.. Seo~eon~Op~pa~?"

 

 

"Disgusting. Just shut your mouth and get lost."

 

 

Yujin and Wonyoung, who's existence was slowly being forgotten, looked back and forth between Jiyoung and Seoeon, confusion enveloping them. The two of them collectively looked at Chaewon who silently asked them to go. Feeling that they shouldn't even be there, the two first years obeyed Chaewon and excused themselves, leaving ahead.

 

 

Seoeon sighed, shaking his head slowly, "See? You scared them off."

 

 

"Can you two stop?" Yena gave them a stern look, her voice strict and demanding. 

 

 

"Wait, U-Unnie I wasn't planning on it but.. Since this bastard is getting ahead of himself.. Why don't you go somewhere with me instead?" Jiyoung stepped up suddenly, pressured by Seoeon's presence. 

 

 

"I asked first?" Seoeon raised a brow.

 

 

"Does it matter? That's her choice to make not yours, bastard."

 

 

"Look, duckie.. Would you really choose her over me? I doubt it."

 

 

"You-"

 

 

"-S-She can't go with either of you...!" 

 

 

Four pairs of eyes looked at Yuri. 

 

 

Seoeon gave her this knowing look, a feeling of both success and failure welling up in him. It was a confusing battle with himself; He planned for Yuri to stop them but a part of him also wished she wouldn't. 

 

 

"Why the hell not?" Jiyoung crossed her arms, placing her weight on one side. 

 

 

"W-W-We have plans!" Yuri blurted out. She cursed at herself inside at her sudden slip up but knew that she was beyond being able to take that back so she ran over to Yena, rushing her to ride her bike. 

 

 

From the cold, stern expression that Yena had been holding from the start of that day, it slowly turned into a lost, bewildered look as she awkwardly got on her bike. Yuri got on the passenger seat immediately after Yena, urging, "W-What are you w-waiting for??? L-Let's go!"

 

 

The sound of panic in Yuri's voice was enough to get Yena's legs to start pedaling. Yena was still very much confused but she also wanted to get away from Seoeon and Jiyoung as soon as possible. 

 

 

....

 

 

"Look, you scared them off too," Seoeon spoke in an exhale, shaking his head at Jiyoung again. 

 

 

"...Bastard.. You ing planned this, didn't you?" Jiyoung grabbed Seoeon by the collar of his shirt, pulling him downwards. "What are you acting like a saint for? You like Yena-unnie, don't you? Why don't just be honest with yourself instead of helping other people?"

 

 

"Isn't it because he likes Yena? You could learn a thing or two from him about being a decent person, Jiyoung." Chaewon made her existence known, reminding them that she's been there the entire time. She got on her bike and started biking away as she let out a disappointed sigh. 

 

 

"ing ."

 

 

"Language."

 

 

" you too, Bastard."

 

 

~ + ~

 

 

 

 

The silence between them was killing her. While Yuri was thankful that they were currently on a bike so a conversation isn't really called for, she was also constantly cursing at herself in her head for spouting nonsense without a plan. 

 

 

No, they definitely didn't have plans together. They haven't talked in ages. Maybe it was just a week but ages is how Yuri would describe it. Even so, it was a relief that Yena hadn't rejected her advance, going along with her random burst. 

 

 

It was also adorable how awkward Yena was when Yuri abruptly urged her to start pedaling. Wait, that's not important right now, Jo Yuri!  She told herself, biting her lower lip before pouting. They were getting closer and closer to her house and she was no where close to thinking of what she should say. 

 

 

She didn't want to waste this opportunity. It's the first time in a while that she was alone with Yena like this. Their walks from Yena's classroom to the cafeteria didn't count... considering the distance between them in those particular moments. 

 

 

While she was swimming in her thoughts, what snapped her out of trance was the slowing of the bike to a full stop, her eyes finally registering that her house was right in front of her. 

 

.

 

 

 

.

 

 

 

.

 

 

 

There's no time to think.

 

 

 

.

 

 

 

 

 

"Unnie.. Would you.. like to come in?" 

 

 

 

~ + ~

 

 

||a/n: As the title implies, it seems they swapped roles in the story. Now, it's Yena who's being all quiet and serious when around Yuri while Yuri is the one trying to figure out how to fix things.

Also, Yuri is now 100% aware of her rivals now. She can't keep being indecisive forever.. unless she wants Seoeon to earn some points. He already has a decent amount of 'good guy' points.

There's Jiyoung too but rather than a rival.. she's more of an obstacle? She stopped bullying Yuri but she's still out there being a nuisance in a different way.. Ugh.

Also, I apologize to Chaewon and Annyeongz for dissipating their presence throughout the chapter. I needed to present the 'threats' so Yuri would start to feel the urgency. If she wants to remain by Yena's side, she's gonna have to put more effort than that~

Well~ That's that. Hope you liked the chapter~ Look forward to more Chaewon in the next chapter.||