Lights Out Mode

Magenta Papers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Everyone at the office was busy typing away or looking over each other's drafts for any mistakes they may have made. The reason for this being that it was Overtime day again, a day in which everyone usually stayed after their usual work hours because they had a huge project coming up soon. This time, they had their own tasks to complete in preparation for the meeting with AKBinc, their close business partners. The atmosphere was a bit tense and hectic as they had to meet their deadlines, but they got to enjoy their breaks because they were all there. And this was all totally okay because they were getting paid for their extra hours.

 

It's already been a month since they came back from Hawaii. And since Hyewon had realized her feelings for Eunbi. She had tried everything she to try to gain Eunbi's attention, but it was proving to be a bit difficult, as Sakura was usually around her as they closely worked together.

 

-flashback-

 

Hyewon approached Eunbi at her desk as she typed away at a report.

 

"Miss Kwon, I made a quick stop to coffee shop and I thought you might want coffee since you've been working hard for hours now."

 

Eunbi looked up from her screen and said, "Ah, I appreciate the effort Miss Kang, but I don't drink coffee. Thank you so much though."

 

Sakura was walking by on her way to the elevator and asked, "Miss Kwon, you're not gonna take the coffee? I could actually use one, I only slept 3 hours last night and I'm exhausted. That is, if you're okay with that Miss Kang."

 

"Uhh, s-sure," Hyewon said nervously as she handed over the coffee, a bit dejected that Eunbi didn't want it.

 

-end flashback-

 

That was only one of the numerous failed attempts of Hyewon trying to do nice favors for Eunbi. She was really unsure about how to do this whole "flirting and dating thing" so she just tried doing what any nice person would do so someone could like them. She was great at making friends, but she and Eunbi were already friends, and now she wanted something more.

 

Suddenly, she saw Eunbi stand up and walk towards the middle of the office.

 

"I don't know if this is weird to ask...but does anyone wanna go to the bathroom with me? The lights in the women's restroom are kinda weird sometimes and I-I'm not scared, but I just don't wanna be alone in there."

 

Everyone's heads turned to Eunbi who was asking this rather shyly, a bit unusual for her.

 

"I'll go." Hyewon volunteered almost immediately.

 

Eunbi smiled and nodded at her and they left to go to the restroom.

 

-----

 

Hyewon walked a little ahead of Eunbi on their way there. Eunbi was trying to hide her little self behind Hyewon. Suddenly, Hyewon face burned red as Eunbi intertwined their fingers together. Hyewon tilted her head towards the ground, hoping that Eunbi wouldn't see her face at that moment.

 

They eventually reached the restroom and Hyewon opened the door. Sure enough, the lighting was a bit dim and made the room look a bit creepy. Hyewon thought it looked like the bathroom in that horror game she played just last week.

 

"I'll be right here unnie, I promise."

 

After being reassured by the look in Hyewon's eyes, Eunbi went to go do her business and Hyewon waited for her outside.

 

'As long as I get to spend time with her, I'm happy. Baby steps, baby steps.'

 

 

MEANWHILE...

 

Chaewon was standing at the copy machine, busy making copies for her training sessions for the new employees. She was taking the time to reflect on her actions.

 

-flashback-

 

It was almost 1am and the Chaewon and Minju had just arrived at Minju's front door. They just came back from a company party celebrating their new deal and the two hung out all night long, certainly enjoying each other's company. Minju was a bit buzzed from a few shots, so Chaewon offered to drive her home.

 

Minju pulled out her keys to her apartment but instead of opening the door, she turned to Chaewon and said, "Hey, I had such a good time with you tonight and you've always done so much for me and I just wanted to say...thank you."

 

"It's no problem, I would do anything for you—"

 

Realizing what she just said, Chaewon's eyes darted around nervously.

 

Minju let out a little laugh at that and started to move closer to Chaewon's face. Chaewon's eyes were forced to focus only on Minju's lips but then the smell of alcohol on her breath brought her back to reality.

 

Chaewon suddenly moved to grab her hand and shake it as if they were finished with a formal business meeting.

 

"Yeah...have a good rest of your night."

 

Chaewon couldn't look at her in the eyes anymore since then and the look of disappointment and confusion on Minju's face would always be in her mind. But she couldn't take advantage of her at all, even in her slightly inebriated state. Chaewon wasn't that type of person. But she knew Minju didn't usually forget the things that happened when she was drunk and now...

 

'She probably thinks I friend-zoned her, or worse, that I hate her and maybe thinks we're not even friends after that handshake! Who even does something like that?! Ugh Kim Chaewon, you've really done it now.'

 

-end flashback-

 

And to avoid Minju even more after that incident, Chaewon even took up Sakura's offer of transferring over to the Human Resources department. But Chaewon didn't want to be such a coward anymore. It was time to be more direct and honest with her feelings from now on.

 

"Hey."

 

'Speak of the devil.'

 

"Hey."

 

Minju approached her as she also needed to make copies. They stood there for a bit as the sound of the copy machine whirred next to them.

 

"Are you alright? You ran out looking a bit upset in Hawaii and we haven't really gotten the chance to talk since then."

 

"Ah y-yeah I'm fine."

 

Another awkward silence passed between them.

 

Minju started, "So how's—"

 

"Listen do you wanna grab a bite after this? It's been a while since we've talked and I...I miss you," Chaewon interrupted.

 

Minju was a bit surprised with the proposal, but said, "Sure! Um...how 'bout at Lapin's for our lunch break?"

 

"I'd like that."

 

Chaewon wondered where the hell she got that sudden confidence from.

 

-----

 

It was time for lunch and everyone at the office was relieved to take a break. Yena had came over from the café downstairs to hang out with Chaeyeon at her private office.

 

"...and so I thought Hiichan was about to kill me right then and there! Imagine, the last thing you see before you die are the most adorable cheeks, what a way to go, am I right?"

 

Chaeyeon let out her infectious laugh at Yena's silly story.

 

"Alright, alright, enough of that. How 'bout you? How's the plan goin'?"

 

Chaeyeon looked at her before she bit into her sandwich, "What plan? The AKBinc presentation?"

 

"No! I meant Operation Eunsaku."

 

"Ah, about that. Let's just say...I've been taking a bit of a 'laissez-faire' approach."

 

"Laissez-what??"

 

"Laissez-faire. It means I just let things run their own course of action. I'll have you know, that ever since Eunbi unnie has gotten more comfortable working around here, let's just say... she's such a tease."

 

-flashback-

 

LAST WEEK

 

Sakura was out in the office showing Chaeyeon how to organize the employee documents. Eunbi had been staring at them for some time now, as she thought of what to do next. She then stood up holding a file folder and a pen.

 

She then walked past the two and suddenly dropped a few papers and her pen on the ground.

 

"Ugh look what I've done. I've made such a mess again from being so clumsy..."

 

As she said that, she bent over painfully slow to pick up the papers, making sur

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter