Rash Decision

Like Fall, I Fall

Quietly he sat, curled in the too small cage listening to the sound of other hybrids young and old on the other side of the wall laughing. Biting at his lower lips his ears begin to twitch at the sound of hurried footfalls. Just as the door opens, he takes in the voices in the other room focusing on the bubbling laughter and deep voice telling the other to calm down he feels a bit sad. At the sound of the jingling of keys, his ears perk, moving away from the door of the cage he makes himself smaller. At the fruity smell of too much perfume, he pushes back the urge to scrunch his nose and cover it with his hands as she unlocks his cage. Slowly moving out, green eyes peer up at the women. At her frown, he doesn't move, glancing quickly down he waits until she opens the door where everyone else is.

"Hurry up and get over there you damn fox."

Hurriedly standing to his full height he rushes through the door. As soon as he's stepped past the threshold his tail curls quickly around him as the door is slammed shut. Smiling weakly at the other hybrids glancing over at him, Taehyung makes his way over to the farthest corner from the door before settling down on the bean bag he had dragged there after his first week of being in the hybrid pet store. Grabbing the blue torn up pillow he rests his head against it as his eyes slowly trail over to the clock and follow the handle. 

 


 

Having been dismissed by his father Jimin began his trip back home. Having sent his driver away, he walked after sitting for so long the numbness in his legs had begun to get annoying and troublesome. With the sun out high in the sky and the air dry, he shrugged off his jacket. Shoulders sagging, eyes droopy and a frown set in place as sweat collected at the top of his head. As his thoughts ran through what needed to be done, his frown grew. The stress of the day growing with each new task he'd have to get done by the end of the week and what he'd need to turn into his father before the afternoon tomorrow.

Sending smiles to those he passed by, he wiped at his sweaty blonde bangs as soon as he was alone. As he walked, he eyed the stores debating whether or not to go in for a quick second to avoid the heat of the sun. Pausing outside a Hybrid pet store Jimin winces at the yells and the sound of glass breaking. With a shake of his head, he continues only to freeze at the sound of a whimper. For a second, he believes he imagined it but just as he takes another step the next heart-wrenching wail has his shoulders stiffening. He’s always been sensitive when it came to the feelings of others or animals so when he opens the door and the bell rings just as he steps in, he's not surprised at all. But it was different with hybrids, unlike his father Jimin adored them and considered that just like them they had feelings even if they were unlike them in some ways.

At the sight of one worker with a broom in hand, while another tugged at the chain attached to the collar that led behind the counter a surge of anger surfaced. Clenching his fist, Jimin schools his features, breathing in quietly he eyes the two workers. 'They really shouldn't be working here.'

As he glances down when he comes up to the counter the sight of a fox hybrid staring down at his feet has time pausing. 'Ah, that's why.'

There weren't many people who liked fox hybrids. With the stereotype of them being cunning and thieving no one wanted them and those that were taken often showed up dead weeks later, two at the most. No matter how much the small the group of protesters fought for the hybrids their efforts were ignored. While dogs, cats, rabbits, and other small hybrids were treated with care those much bigger and different were either too high in price or worth less than their value; and just like the few misfortunates, the fox hybrids were included.

Jimin's thoughts come to a stop at the flinch the fox makes when one of the workers takes a step towards him. Seeing the flat ears, hands curling up and knees tucked in and the sight of tears falling down a hidden face, Jimin doesn't hear the overly sweet voice greeting him. Not when he sees the other worker pull harshly at the collar the fox's cry and gasping going ignored as the male tries to pull the hybrid to the back. As soon as he sees the hybrid being dragged and his nails scraping the floor, he begins to plan. As his mind begins to think of ways to get the establishment shut down or the two fired it’s when his eyes lock with green, that his decision is made. As eyes quickly look away from his, he’s taking a step closer, hand slightly stretched out and lips parting before he’s snapping it shut. 'I can't leave him here not after this.'

As he raises his eyes, he doesn't greet the women before him, instead, he bluntly asks, "How long would it take for me to adopt him and take him home?"

At the bewildered looks he frowns. At the sound of his impatient sigh, they’re both moving. "Mr. Park are you sure? We have other hy-"

Cutting her off he smiles, his lips tight as he sweetly states, "I'm sure. I want him." 

As much as he hated it Jimin couldn't deny that being a Park had its benefits. As they run around the feeling of someone staring has him frowning before he glances around. When he finally glances down to the edge of the counter’s corner the sight of green eyes peering up at him has his eyes widening. The contrast of red hair and fluffy black tipped ears similar in color accompanied by tan skin and wide eyes has a lump forming in his throat especially when he lets his eyes fall on the clothing adorning the male. ‘He doesn’t look any older than me but he’s broken, so, so broken.’

Swallowing the lump in his throat Jimin glances away at the voice calling his name. As soon as the lady is within reach, he’s telling her to take off the collar with the chain attached. He didn’t want to see it, didn’t want it in his home and especially didn’t want it around the hybrid. After having filled out the information, and boughten a different collar that fit just right and tags Jimin eyes the silent male. Ignoring the goodbye’s and whispered good luck, he steps out of the store holding the door open he waits until the male is by his side. With neither of the workers telling him the hybrids name, Jimin doesn’t know what to say. He hadn’t gotten a good look at the hybrid’s file with his inclination to get the both of them out of there fast. The feeling in the room was toxic, it was heavy and dark, he hadn’t missed the amused grin of the male as he had yanked and pulled at the chain previously attached to his hybrid.

Clearing his throat Jimin softly begins to talk, not liking the silence and weird atmosphere that had fallen around them, “I hope you don’t mind walking, I didn’t take my car to work so we’ll have to walk today. It’s not far I promise.”

No hearing a reply he continues to walk, looking back every now and then to make sure he wasn’t going too fast while making sure the hybrid didn’t run. As soon as they entered the building and road the elevator up to his floor Jimin was quick to rush them inside having taken them through the back. He didn’t need any of his neighbors or the workers in the front knowing about the hybrid now in his care not with the media always looking for something to cover when it involved his family. When the sound of the door locking, he breathes a sigh of relief before letting his head rest against the door. ‘What did I just do?’

Pulling away from the door he smiled at the hybrid. “You can go ahead and take a seat in the living room,” as he pointed to the room, he was referring to Jimin hung his jacket on the coat rack before making his way down the hall, pausing for a brief second, he glances back. “I’ll be right back, I’m going to shower and then start dinner.”


 

Stepping into the room, Jimin’s quick to start pulling out ingredients, it’s only when he begins to start cutting vegetables that his eyes widen. Moving quickly out of the kitchen he eyes the hybrid sitting on the floor, frowning Jimin shakes his head. “You can shower if you want. I have some clothes I could give you to change into, I’ll leave them in the bathroom.”

Grabbing a pair of shorts, a long-sleeved shirt and sweater Jimin drops them on the seat of the toilet before rummaging through his shopping bags. ‘Please, please let them be in here.’

Grinning widely, he smiles at the unopened package of new underwear pulling one out he quickly throws it into the room. The soft sound of feet against tiles having him turning around. Quietly explaining how his shower worked Jimin waited until the door closed before making his way back to the kitchen. He doesn’t know how much time went by but even now as he moved throughout the kitchen the male stayed seated by the foot of the couch. His limbs tucked in safely into his body as he watches his movements. Waiting for the meat to cook Jimin pulls out the papers from the file once more. Reading over the information on the sheet. 

Name: Kim Taehyung

Age: 22

Birthday: December 30

Species: Fox Hybrid 

As he continues to read the rest of information he frowns when his eyes fall of the disciplinary and behavioral issues listed. Looking back up at Taehyung he his head to the side before he’s running a hand through his hair. ‘He doesn’t look aggressive.’

Behavioral and Disciplinary issues:

Defiant: Disobeys orders and breaks the rules established.

Aggressive: Doesn’t get along well with others, picks fights, has bared his fangs and growled when confronted about what he is doing is wrong.

Theft: Has stolen food from other hybrids and from the pantry in store.

Self-righteous: Refusing to accept when he has done wrong. Will lie and blame others for his mistakes and misbehavior.

Biting his lip Jimin sighs, before putting the file away and taking it back to his room. He didn’t want to read the ongoing list. The hybrids file was a lengthy one, he didn’t want to believe anything listed under the behavioral and disciplinary issues. He didn’t want to think badly of the hybrid. Jimin wanted to get his own opinion of the hybrid and he didn’t exactly believe the two workers, especially not when he witnessed how badly they treated Taehyung. ‘If I was treated like that, I doubt I’d be happy or compliant. I’ll have to figure out how long he was there.’

Opening the safe on the bottom of his closet he grabs his phone before once more exciting his room. Answering a few emails and texts the sound of the timer on the microwave has him quickly turning off the stove and setting the table while serving the meal he prepared.  

When minutes go by, Jimin begins to get irritated at the lack of expressions, still movements and Taehyung's refusal to look him in the eyes as he eats.

"Aren't you going to say anything?"

Being met with silence Jimin bites back the words on the tip of his tongue as he takes the empty plates and begins to wash them. Groaning he realizes that the hybrid might not exactly trust humans. As he rinses, he looks over his shoulder. Seeing Taehyung once more on the ground his heart clenches. ‘I’ll show you I’m a nice person. I’ll just have to be patient.’

With the couch all set, Jimin leaves with a soft goodnight not hearing anything he closes the room to his door close. With his laptop open he begins to look for a bed to purchase for one of the empty rooms in his penthouse. He couldn't have the hybrid sleeping out on his couch every day. When he finally did decide on one the picture of a desk had him hovering over exiting out of the tab. Clicking on the image, he begins to go through them before adding it to his chart and clicking on another image of another piece of furniture and then another and another.  


 

Quietly opening the door to Jimin's room Taehyung crosses the room until he's right beside his new owner's sleeping figure pulling the laptop from his grasp he slowly closes it before setting it on the desk on the other side of the room. Tilting his head to the side he takes in the tangled blonde locks, clenched hands grabbing onto bed sheets, parted pink lips, and closed eyes. Glancing around the room he makes his way over to the closet. OPening it he freezes at the small creak. Glancing over his shoulder the sound of soft snores has him relaxing. Glancing down at the bottom of the closet he pulls the folded blanket there before he's throwing it over the sleeping male. 

Making his way out the door Taehyung misses blue eyes sleepily peering at him as he closes the door behind him. 

Padding across the living room, Taehyung pulls at the quilt thrown across the floor. Pulling it up to his chin he lets out a shaky sigh. 'Maybe he won't be like him.