TRACK 2: BOOM BOOM

Make The Minkwan

♪ Now Playing: SEVENTEEN - 붐붐 ♪


Date: December 2016

Boom Boom Era

Mingyu watches as Seungkwan chatters happily with Hansol, whom Seungkwan often calls his best friend. Sometimes he misses the times when it was just him and Seungkwan going to school together. Hansol went to a different school, one specifically for foreigners or something (not that he needed it at that point in his life) so most of Seungkwan’s time was spent with Mingyu in school.

That time was something Mingyu often took for granted. He always knew Seungkwan had a connection with Hansol, them being the same age and all, but he couldn’t help but feel a little hurt when Seungkwan spends more time with Hansol. And it also hurts his pride hearing Seungkwan call Hansol his best friend. If Hansol is Seungkwan’s best friend, then what is Mingyu to Seungkwan?

Mingyu’s urge to barge in on their conversation doesn’t go away, and he ends up doing exactly that. He casually walks up to Seungkwan and Hansol, nonchalantly draping his arm over the shorter vocalist’s shoulder. Seungkwan glances up at Mingyu with a somewhat surprised expression but continues talking to Hansol, who is also eyeing Mingyu.

“Working hard or hardly working?” Mingyu offers, realizing how stupid it sounds the moment it leaves his mouth.

Seungkwan rolls his eyes and removes Mingyu’s arm from his shoulder with a swat of his hand. “Says the one who was staring into space all this time.”

Except Mingyu wasn’t staring into space. He was staring at Seungkwan. And whenever Seungkwan looked over at him, then he’d stare into space so he didn’t look like a weirdo. Mingyu offers a dry laugh, opting for putting his hand loosely on Seungkwan’s shoulder instead.

“I was…practicing choreo. In my head,” he responds. “What’re you besties talking about?”

Mingyu cringes inwardly. Once again, his words sound stupid and he realizes it as he’s already saying them. He should just die. But wait, if he dies, he can’t see Seungkwan’s underrated, gorgeous face or hear his angelic voice.

“We were talking about going shopping,” Seungkwan responds in that soft voice of his. “After we’re done with our schedule. Since it ends early today.”

Mingyu nods slowly, ignoring his the possessive thoughts going through his head. “I forgot we get a bit of extra time off. I don’t know what I’m gonna do.”

Hansol glances at Mingyu and a sly smile appears on his face. “Hyung, why don’t you go with Seungkwan? I was going to visit Sofia anyways.”

Seungkwan stares at Hansol. “Vern??”

“Go ahead, Kwan. I can go shopping with Sof. Maybe we’ll meet up there or something.” Hansol smiles, seemingly sending Seungkwan a wink.

For some reason, that bothers Mingyu. He purses his lips before smiling down at Seungkwan. Suppress the feeling. You just got offered a free one on one with Seungkwan. A perfect time for him to figure out his own feelings, including why he’s feeling…jealous?

“Why? Don’t wanna be seen around a giant?” he teases, poking Seungkwan’s side.

Seungkwan squirms away, shooting Mingyu a glare, but he could swear he also saw a cute pink tinge on his cheeks as he retreats closer to Hansol. Are his cheeks pink because of Hansol or him, though? Hansol nudges Seungkwan back towards Mingyu.

“Really, go ahead. Once we’re done with this song and interview, I’ll call Sof and hang out with her. It’s been a while.” Hansol says. “Mingyu-hyung has nothing to do after, and Kwan, you’re good at entertaining.” Seungkwan shoots Hansol a glare. Hansol just shrugs and adds, “Well, I’m gonna get ready, I think it’s our turn soon.”

 

After their last interview of the day it’s only around 4 pm, and, while it’s already becoming dark, they now have the rest of the day to kill. Mingyu recalls a time predebut when Seungkwan tried to force Mingyu to get up on a day off, claiming their manager said not to be out during the dark as he looks out the window at the slowly fading sun.

If you don’t get out, you’ll miss the whole day. The sun goes down early now, and manager-hyung said we shouldn’t be out when it’s dark!

Now, as idols, it’s almost better to be out when it’s dark because there’s less of a chance to be recognized. Plus, who would be stupid enough to mess with someone who’s over six feet like Mingyu? Even if Mingyu isn’t really someone who’s intimidating, at least his height is somewhat intimidating.

Mingyu approaches Seungkwan, who seems to be pleading to Hansol about something. Again with Hansol. Mingyu shakes his head. If it bothers you so much, say something. 

Mingyu isn’t sure exactly what his brain meant by ‘say something’ but he walks up to Seungkwan and taps the shorter male’s shoulder. “Hey. I have something I want to say.”


Word Count: 929

A/N: Sorry for the abrupt cut-off. I wanted to get Mingyu's line in Boom Boom in there somewhere, (i know it's not the exact/proper translation but whatever) but I didn't want to make it too long, and I almost wanna make it a...challenge? by making sure none of the chapters pass 1000 words because I can get a little carried away. Also if you haven't noticed from the first chapter, the italicized last words are paraphrased lyrics from the song. 

Mingyu's little memory is a nod to one of the original ideas I was putting out when I had decided to keep it in the idol/rl AU. At first it was gonna be current(ish) day where the members couldn't wake up Mingyu so they sent in Seungkwan bc why not (he seems the type to wake people up in the most annoying way possible) and one of the things I made him say to try and wake him up is that the sun goes down earlier so if he doesn't get up he'll miss the day. Except i just changed the current day to predebut so it lined up with the previous chapter somewhat. And I wanted to make this Boom Boom era time because Boom Boom is the title song so it makes sense (to me) I hope it makes sense.