TRACK 3: HIGHLIGHT

Make The Minkwan

♪ Now Playing: SEVENTEEN - Highlight ♪


Sometimes, Seungkwan finds himself thinking about the predebut days. Days when he felt so frustrated with training where he would end up crying in the bathroom to his mom or locking himself in his room. Of course, locking himself up meant that the other members he shared a room with would be locked out, but at those points, he didn’t care. He just wanted to be alone and cry (and sing) out his frustrations.

Usually, none of the other members could get through to him. Not even baby Samuel would be allowed in when Seungkwan locked himself up. Hansol would try but to no avail. It seemed embarrassing for Seungkwan to sob to his best friend when he had his own problems to deal with.

Yet the moment Seungkwan would hear Mingyu’s voice coming through the other end of the door when everyone else had given up, Seungkwan would almost automatically let him in. Maybe it was because Mingyu came by after everyone else had given up. Or maybe there was something about Mingyu that could instantly calm Seungkwan down.

Now, Seungkwan is in the same situation. After a minor mess up during practice for a live special, he locked himself in his bedroom. It wasn’t even a big deal, he’s just been stressed lately and it all piled up. Now he’s crying in his room at 10 pm, not even letting his own bandmates come in to sleep.

Everyone already tried to cheer him up, and he vaguely heard Mingyu saying something about giving him time. Obviously, Seungkwan isn’t normally like this; he’s usually all happy go lucky, so it makes sense for everyone to be worried and want to cheer him up. But everyone has their moments.

It’s almost 11 pm by now and Seungkwan hears a knock at the door. He rubs his eyes and looks towards the closed door as if it would help him figure out who’s at the door. Another knock and that oh so familiar voice comes from the other side of the door.

“It’s me. Do you want to talk now?”

Seungkwan sniffles and crawls out of his bed. He’s cried out most of his tears so now he’s just embarrassed to show his puffy face. Yet hearing Mingyu’s voice makes him just wanna hug the tall giant of a visual. Perhaps because ever since that day at the mall, their relationship changed.

Seungkwan waddles over to the door and opens it, immediately met with a pyjama clad Mingyu holding snacks and soda. Seungkwan manages a small smile as he rubs his nose, opening the door wider to let Mingyu in before closing it quickly after. He shuffles back to his bed and faceplants onto it.

“Sorry, I’m a bit late, aren't I.” Mingyu says, sitting on the edge of the bed, patting Seungkwan’s back. “I wanted to wait until Jihoon-hyung fell asleep. He would’ve told me to just go to sleep and leave you be.”

Seungkwan rolls onto his side to look at Mingyu, shaking his head. “I was just thinking about the previous times you’ve done this for me, so it’s fine. I really appreciate it, hyung.”

Mingyu smiles, patting Seungkwan’s head gently as he lowers himself to lay next to the smaller. “What can I say? I’m the only one who can get you out of these moods~” he teases, poking Seungkwan’s stomach. “You must really like me.”

Seungkwan’s face turns a shade of pink and he turns away. “I’ll kick you out.”

Mingyu wraps his arm around Seungkwan loosely, speaking in a cute voice. “No, you won’t~”

Seungkwan scrunches up his face and admits defeat as he gets comfy in Mingyu’s embrace. Normally he’d be rejecting these actions in front of a camera but now he doesn’t need to. Not to mention he wants cuddles and hugs in the first place.

“I know you think you really messed up, but you did your best,” Mingyu says softly, rubbing Seungkwan’s stomach. “You always do your best no matter what, and I think you’re one of the better dancers out of us who aren’t in the performance unit. Not to mention a great singer, and you can even rap pretty well.”

Seungkwan smiles, trying not to seem too flattered, but at the same time nuzzling into Mingyu’s neck to hide the blush forming on his cheeks. Yes, this is what Seungkwan needs. Encouragement and cuddles from his ‘favourite hyung’. He looks up and locks eyes with Mingyu for several seconds. His expression comforts him even more, though the tender moment doesn’t last long.

Before Seungkwan can stop Mingyu, the rapper is already tickling him. He bursts into a fit of giggles as he tries to wriggle away from Mingyu’s poking fingers, to no avail, as Mingyu just tightens his hold on Seungkwan and continues tickling him.

“Y-yah, Kim Mingyu!” Seungkwan whines out between laughs. He gets a few tickling pokes in on Mingyu as well.

Soon they’re both a tangled mess of giggling boys. Mingyu’s goal of making Seungkwan smile is accomplished and Seungkwan got his comforting hugs as well. Mingyu smiles, pressing a kiss to Seungkwan’s hair as he covers them with blankets.

“Any time you feel this way, know I’m always by your side,” he whispers softly, but Seungkwan already seems to be already sound asleep. He smiles and ruffles Seungkwan’s hair before going to sleep as well.


Word Count: Probably close to 1000

A/N: I kinda took inspiration from some clips I'd seen where Seungkwan and Mingyu were sleeping in the same bed and tickling each other for this part. I mentioned Woozi, for those who don't know, because Mingyu rooms with him, now. Not too sure if this worked out well with the song lyrics, but I think it's cute and endearing.