The East and South (9)

Fast Break: The East and the South
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 9 - Training Camp (1)

 

“Talk about luck, I forgot to return her keys.” Chaewon looked at the set of side dishes and foods that she have packed, she felt the weird sensation of the keys on her pocket. She went back to her mansion just to prepare it, of course, she made sure that her parents are still abroad competing on international tournaments. I swear this would really be the last. She sighed and a few minutes later, she called for a maid to help her bring the food to their family car.

 

“Young master, are you sure your left cheeks are alright?” The maid asked her, with a cold compress on her right hand.

 

“Yeah, yeah. I'm old enough to take care of it. Just don't tell them I went home looking like this, alright?” Chaewon grabbed her team jacket held by one of the maids.

 

“Young master, are all those dishes for your cousin, Ms. Kwon? I remember how much you'll nag us when you were younger. You wanted to learn how to make side dishes back then for her because you want her to teach you more about basketball.” The maid placed the cold compress on the table.

 

“Yeah, but this is the first and last time I'm making her food. I'll be taking my leave now, please take care of the house.” Chaewon bowed at the maids and left the kitchen. Arriving outside their house, a car was waiting for her.

 

••

 

“I have to get ready for tomorrow. Ugh.” she stretched her arms as she waited for the elevator doors to open. When she saw that the elevator is climbing up near her floor, she quickly picked up her purple duffle bag and went out of the elevator as soon as the doors opened. Arriving in front of her room, Eunbi inserted her key then turned the knob.

 

There was a weird smell of a newly cooked rice, but there was no one inside. She went to the kitchen and saw a letter on the refrigerator.

 

Dear Coach, Hey. This is Kim Chaewon. I brought you a lot of side dishes, eat some for tonight, and for tomorrow's breakfast. Make sure to take care of yourself and eat a lot. I also bought vegetables and fruit drinks, it's all inside the fridge. Always eat healthy foods, and don't fill yourself with booze. I swear this is really the last time I'm going to bother you. I left the keys on the table. Also, you never told me you've been living with someone who doesn't even know you inside your unit, don't worry, I had Mr. Jung bring him to the Police Station, apparently, he wanted to kill you so he could have this place as his own— don't worry, that thing about someone living here is a joke, Mr. Jung just helped me catch the giant mouse that have been munching through your clothes. Okay, bye.

 

Eunbi smiled after reading the letter, she opened the fridge and started getting the tupperwares of side dishes, and a bottle of apple drink. She grabbed a bowl of rice and started eating. If she managed to do this lot, maybe her cheek is not that swollen. Kaeun probably exaggerated some things. After finishing her dinner, she went to her room and was surprised to see some shopping bags, and new clothes. Probably to replace what the rat have damaged. There was again, a letter on her bed.

 

Dear Coach, Really, this is getting tiresome. I bought you new clothes identical to the ones that the rat had destroyed. Think of this as my farewell gift as your student. Now we're just cousins. Okay, bye.

 

She realized just now, her unit looked really clean. Her laundry was done, her curtains and bed sheets were changed. That Chaewon. She chuckled. She then started packing for tomorrow’s camp, she made it quick since she's going back to her players’ shared house.

 

••

 

“Yuri, are we seriously riding the same bus as the South High main players?” Yujin asked Yuri who was locking their front door, she was lucky that Yena was carrying her bag.

 

“Yes, Yujin. We are seriously riding with them. All the East High buses are unfortunately full of the other sports teams from our school. Our Coach barely got in, she asked me a favor if we can just ride South High's personal service given to their special basketball team, she had also talked to Coach Kwon, she agreed to have us there.” Yuri smiled at her teammates.

 

“Let's go to their front house.” They started walking to reach the front of the house in front of them. When they arrived, the South High girls were just getting out of their house. Yena felt awkward looking at Eunbi, remembering what happened on that night they had a closure. She noticed how Chaewon doesn't even joke around her like before. Did something happen between them? it was a quick thought that she decided to forget about soon after a few minutes.

 

Their service was rather big than what they expected. When they got in, it was very luxurious, seats that faced each other, food bar, and a refrigerator. Something that East High School can't give its players. It was kind of expected for them to have this kind of luxury since they've always won the Compass Tournament, and have always been on the second or the winners of Women's High School National Tournaments.

 

Chaewon had no choice but to sit beside Eunbi, they had Yena and Yuri facing them. Behind was Yujin sitting beside Wonyoung, and Minjoo and Hyewon in front of them, and behind them was Chaeyeon and Sakura, and in front of them are the point guards, Hitomi and Nako.

 

“Chaeyeon, look at them, we're like their parents, and they're our children.” Sakura leans on Chaeyeon's shoulder. Chaeyeon then kisses her head.

 

“Our children are so cute.” She whispers.

 

“We're not your children, cut it out cheesy lovers.” Nako annoyedly sips on her orange juice and looks over the window.

 

Eunbi places a packed food on their table.

 

“I haven't eaten yet, I should eat the food that someone took time to prepare.” She smiled before filling up with food. Eunbi really wanted Chaewon to heat what she said, but she was surprised to see Chaewon just looking at the window with her ears on her headphones, playing loud JJBA music.

 

So is she really that serious about not bothering me anymore after that? Eunbi raised a brow as she looked at Chaewon. But her cheek really looks bad… she sighed as she took another bite.

 

••

 

They soon arrived in the biggest resort in the country. The half of the whole place was reserved to them for the whole week. It was like a small town, it has its own supermarket, convenience stores and shops inside—it also have its own modes of transportation which wouldn't be available at a certain time onwards at night. The basketball teams were brought to the farthest side of the resort, where the basketball courts are placed.

 

The team captains were surprised on the sudden announcement that the pairings will be draw lots, the two captains that will draw are from the top two schools the past two years, the West and the South.

 

“Aoi, you know I'm bad at draw lots. Go ahead.”

 

“Ay!? I'm just as bad as you, Jurina.”

 

“Go babe!”

 

“Sakura can't the two of you stop being so cheesy?”

 

“Okay, babe! I'll do my best!”

 

“The results are out. For the today and tomorrow's practice games, today we have North High School versus South High School in the morning, and the West High School and East High School tomorrow morning. Kindly proceed inside the gymnasium at my left and we'll start the game in a few minutes. West and East players, kindly use the other entrance to get to the bleachers, you are required to watch the practice game.” The strict old lady who wore maroon tracksuit said before going down the small stage.

 

The players entered the gymnasium.

 

In the bleachers, the East High team noticed something weird with how the South High players talk. It was as if they are hesitant to follow their coach's orders. On the other side where the North High players are talking, they had a different coach, there were two people on their bench. Both looked like Japanese.

 

“So Hyuna really gave them the worst punishment.” Kaeun crossed her arms and watched the players do warm ups on the court.

 

“What punishment, coach?” Yuri asked.

 

“She left the team.” Kaeun chuckled. “She told me she received numerous reports about her players picking fights with other school's players. It all started when they got Shiroma. Hyuna hated writing reports so she left the team.” She explained.

 

“So it's not just me who probably got a cheek like this…?” Chaewon caressed her swollen cheek.

 

“No, it's just you.”

 

“What?!”

 

••

 

“Girls, go all out with them.” Eunbi said. “This is a good time to see if the intensity and strength of that play would be good for the Compass Tournament.” She explained.

 

“But coach… Isn't this a little too dangerous? I mean, we don't know… We might injure one of them.” Nako worriedly asked as she looked at the players at the other side of the court, looking at them as if mocking them.

 

“Their play is dirtier than what Kim Minjoo used to do. There won't be any problem. Go all out. Beat them into a pulp.” It was the first time that Nako and Chaeyeon saw the different glint on their coach's eyes.

 

“Are you sure coach?” Sakura asked before tying her hair into a high ponytail. Ugh, I get it. You're angry because they bullied your baby Chaewon. Okay, we'll bully them too. If

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter