The East and South (2)

Fast Break: The East and the South
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 02 ・The Return of Titania

 

“I’ve been here for almost two years, you guys still can’t do a strike or even take down a single pin?! How the heck do we even get the gold trophy for bowling in the Compass Tournament? How do we even get to the Nationals?! Are you even taking this seriously?” It was the first time she got angry again. Kim Chaewon rarely gets angry. She does well in any sport, volleyball, basketball, name it. She’s always in national competitions in her middle school, particularly in basketball, though she came from a different team, and has fought against Yena and Yuri before. Chaewon has always aimed for winning, she doesn’t accept defeat.

 

Both of her parents excelled in sports, and is always at Olympic tournaments. She can’t afford to bring defeat to her family.

 

“We didn’t get to the nationals last year, we should get there this year!” She exclaimed.

 

“Why are you so determined on making it into the nationals? We won’t make it. Accept the fact that we’re actually students who failed to be ace players of other sports clubs in this school.”

 

Chaewon rolled her eyes and went to the changing room, in the few minutes, she went out.

 

“Kim Chaewon, where’re you going?”

 

“I’m leaving.”

 

•••

 

“Kim Chaewon, are you really not coming back to play with us again?” Yena sat at the same table where Chaewon was eating her lunch.

 

“No I’m not.” She continued eating, not even looking at Yena.

 

“We’ve got a really nice new center!”

 

“Then what happens to Sian?”

 

“She left the team. Because of her accident last year, she can’t play basketball.”

 

“Is that so?” She finally looked at Yena, she raised a brow and walked away.

 

“I was even out here, giving her a chance to play with my cheeks.” Yena pouted even more than what her usual face does.

 

•••

 

It’s been two months since Wonyoung started training under Yuri and Yena. So far, she’s been improving well. Today was the day they were to test her, whether or not she can play as they wanted or not. Sounds of bouncing balls, jumps, and squeaking shoes filled the court, Hitomi was the one scoring them. It was a 2-on-2 battle, Yuri and Yena versus Yujin and Wonyoung. It was like a battle between humans and the giants.

 

“Yuri!” Yena signaled, Yuri gladly passed her the ball which Yena shot using a three-pointer.

 

They heard a clap from the gym entrance—Kim Chaewon.

 

“Nice shoot, Yena.” Without even bothering to remove her shoes, she ran towards the girls playing basketball. “Would you let me join you for a bit?” She smiled.

 

“You said you won’t be playing with us anymore what’re you doing he—”

 

Yuri covered Yena’s lips with her right hand, “Of course, I have some spare shoes on my locker, and spare training clothes. Go ahead and change.” She pointed the changing room that can be entered a few steps behind the opposite hoop.

 

“I don’t need those, it’s a waste of time.” She kept on looking at Yujin.

 

“Then…” Jo Yuri ran towards the Gym doors, she looks as if she’s waiting for someone. A few minutes then she returned with a teacher. “This is Ms. Lee Kaeun, she agreed to be our scorer.” She explained.

 

“Hiichan, go team up with Yujin and Wonyoung.”

 

The game started. Yujin was left in awe as she watched Kim Chaewon play with her leather shoes, which aren’t advisable in playing basketball. There was a balance between the three, she had only seen her once, the day she and Hitomi joined the team, and she just left to join the volleyball club. Yujin wasn’t expecting her to be this good, the way she handles the ball and she does three pointers.

 

“Yujin!” Wonyoung passed her the ball.

 

“A-Ah!?” She accidentally dropped the ball, which Yuri stole and passed over to Yena.

 

“I’m sorry!” Yujin apologized as they ran towards the opposite side of the court. Wonyoung stood a few steps near the hoop, expecting the three pointer that Chaewon will soon do. Chaewon did her thing, Wonyoung waited for the right timing to block her shot. She jumped.

 

This is bad! Chaewon thought to herself after letting go of the ball and seeing how high the tall girl jumped. Her shot was easily blocked, and Wonyoung passed the ball to Hitomi.

 

After Hitomi passed the ball to Yujin, they stopped playing.

 

“Told’ya, we’ve got some nice new players. So are you coming back now?” Yena smiled at Chaewon who stood quiet for a bit, then suddenly she cupped her hands on Yena’s cheeks then started playing with it. “I’m still not finished playing Yena.” She chuckled then soon went back to her position.

 

“Hurry up and keep the ball rolling.”

 

Their game lasted for almost two hours and counting, there would come a time when Yuri would sub herself out, and asked to be replaced by another player, Shiroma Miru—another power forward. Placing Miru inside the court gave more balance to their team and made things even harder for the sophomores. Since third years team is comprised by, Choi Yena, a small forward, Jo Yuri, a shooting guard, and Kim Chaewon, another shooting guard. While the second years, Jang Wonyoung, a center, An Yujin, a power forward and the team’s ace, then Honda Hitomi, a point guard. During the game, Miru’s crossover dribbles would always leave Yujin on the floor, and her shots would always surprise Wonyoung. It was as if she’s the only one playing in the court. The sophomores, doesn’t have an extra player, due to Han Chowon skipping practice to tend to some private matters.

 

“Whenever Shiroma’s on the court, I get really pissed. She doesn’t even let us touch the ball, she also steals the ball from us.” Chaewon shook her head. She took off her shoes, and forced Yuri’s shoes out of her feet, then wore it as she came back to the court, still on her blouse and skirt.

 

“Hey! Kim Chaewon! Gosh, this girl. Then Yujin and Wonyoung will finally get to fight today’s final boss. The Queen of Fairies, Titania, is finally back.” From where she sat, she looked at the scorer, Lee Kaeun, their homeroom teacher. Yuri felt like she have seen her before, until it struck her. was left agape. Wait! Could it be she’s that person!? She was in shock.

 

Thinking about how Shiroma plays when she was tying her shoelaces, Chaewon figured out how Miru can’t move that much as she did before once Hitomi is near her. She realized that Hitomi can easily still the ball from Miru if she isn’t much cautious. I see, no improvements? I guess.

 

As soon as Chaewon got to hold the ball, she made sure that no one would be able to steal it. She passed through Yujin and Wonyoung’s defenses easily. “How did she get there—Wonyoung, quick!” She said. The ball was already up in mid-air, Wonyoung jumped to try to reach the ball even with her fingertips, she wasn’t able too. The ball seemed so near but it was really higher. She wasn’t able to land properly, she fell on the court.

 

“Wonyoung, are you alright? Don’t worry about it. This is just a practice.” Yujin leaned lower, and offered her hand to help Wonyoung. She grabbed her hand and stood up.

 

“Of course, I’m perfectly alright!” She replied while smiling at Yujin. Wonyoung turned around and ran towards the other end of the court. Yujin turned red and shook her head. Yujin, you’re in a game! She slapped herself and followed.

 

They later heard loud squeals and cheers from the bleachers, volleyball team members screaming An Yujin’s name.

 

“That annoying transferee getting really close to our prince, she’s getting on my nerves!”

 

“Let’s get it, Prince An Yujin!”

 

“Oh my gosh, The Prince’s really cool! She even helps her teammates!”

 

“Should I transfer to basketball team? I want to get closer to Prince Yujin, oh my!”

 

“There they go again. How do they even enter our gym’s bleachers? The hell, the last time I was here they were screaming about Go. Now they’re cheering for another Yujin?” Chaewon finally called for a time out. She has decided to borrow the extra clothes that Yuri told her about a while ago.

 

Kim Chaewon entered the changing room, she opened Yuri’s locker to see a pair of black shirt and shorts neatly rolled on the corner. She unrolled the shirt and felt disgusted on what she saw. What the heck, why does this shirt look like that woman’s shirt? This annoying EHBT print. Ugh, it feels so awkward, it’s been a while since I wore the shirt she gave me. She ed her blouse, replaced it with the black shirt. She removed her plaid red skirt after putting on the small black shorts. She removed the shoes she forced off from Yuri earlier and grabbed the pair of black and red styled shoes she wore a few years ago. Geez, I told her to throw this away. Chaewon was smiling as she tied her shoes once again, like what she did a few years ago. Against the saints.

 

She tied her hair in a high ponytail, then folded her sleeves. They really waited for me.

 

•••

 

They were in the last quarter of the last game for the Compass Tournament, this was a few years ago. Back when the third years were just first years, their team doesn’t have any sophomore student, and is headed by two third year students. The third years were already tired, they have exerted a lot of their effort, and their energy are too drained, forcing the freshmen to play against the monster freshmen players of the South High School, including the freshman who was appointed as the new captain.

 

East High School’s elite freshman line up back then was Go Yujin as the point guard, Choi Yena as the small forward, Shiroma Miru as the power forward, Lee Sian as the center, then Jo Yuri and Kim Chaewon are both shooting guards, their coach did it this way for Yuri’s health, they are exchanged frequently to make sure that Yuri doesn’t overexert herself, Yuri can play both point guard and shooting guard positions. This was the time when there were still a lot of members to use as substitution players.

 

“Chaewon!” She heard Yujin call her name, and when she turned to look at her, she was signaling her to pass her the ball.

 

“Hey!” Miru was signaling for a pass.

 

“Hey, Kim Chaewon!” Sian was trying to call her attention.

 

I can’t fail now. My trainer is watching. Chaewon still forced herself to shoot the ball, she took a a step back and made a jump shot. I did it. A smile was slowly forming on her face, she thought was able to pass through the monster freshman’s defense—she was wrong. Behind her, there was another girl jumping—their captain and power forward. She grabbed the ball and passed it towards her teammates waiting at the other end of the court.

 

Everything came flashing back to her mind. Even her trainer’s words the night before the last game. “I’m being scouted by different schools to become their team’s coach. If your

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter