The East and South (3)

Fast Break: The East and the South
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 03 ・South

 

Kwon Eunbi, a former player of East High School Basketball Club, and is currently the coach of her once rival school, South High School’s Basketball Club. She gathered her army’s key players to talk about the impending threat that is about to befall them. She knew that the South High Saints—as what their school has called them, was exempted from the Compass Tournament last year since they got a slot in the Nationals due to their team’s standing in the whole country.

 

“We didn’t get exemptions this year, so get ready to face the East High Knights—” before she was even finished talking, the third year student, and the team’s Small Forward, Miyawaki Sakura butted in. “Eh? Isn’t that the school nearby? Bunch of weaklings.” Sakura smirked, she placed her feet on the table while playing some kind of a mobile rpg.

 

“Sakura, just because you’re one of the players that brought our team in the finals last year, that doesn’t mean you have the right to call the other teams weak.” A third year student, the captain and the Power Forward, Lee Chaeyeon sighed, and began typing again on her laptop. “Well, what would I even expect from a cheater?” she added.

 

“What’d you just say?!” Sakura stood up from her chair. Chaeyeon also stood in response.

 

“Girls, can you not bring your personal issues in our meeting?” A second year student, the vice-captain and the point guard, Yabuki Nako, tried to stop the two third years from the rising friction between them.

 

“I’m positive that Chaeyeon got to play some of their first years two years ago, it was before South began scouting players from the West and the North.” Nako reported. “Based on the footages left on the AV room, their core members would also possibly come from that five. But after last year’s game, where two freshmen got to play, it looks like they got two good members. Not to mention the rumors about the giant sophomore who became center that replaced their former center.” Nako sighed as she placed her notebook on the table. “If they manage to train those new girls properly, I’m afraid our school’s winning streaks would be in danger.” She concluded.

 

“And that Titania from St. Maria Girls Middle School has joined them again.” Eunbi leaned on her chair while looking at the student data she gathered a few years ago.

 

“I just sent the letter to their school.” Chaeyeon closed her laptop and placed it on the table.

 

“If they got their deadly sophomores, we also have ours.” Nako crossed her arms and smiled at the mix of their key players and substitution players.

 

Some of the South High School Basketball Team’s key players were scouted from another school from the Compass Union, the West High School. Sakura and Nako  came from West High School.

 

 

•••

 

 

“Hey, Choi Yena. Kim Chaewon… Is this email even real?” Yuri stared at the recent email she received in awe, while the other two, in terror. “We’re going to have our first practice game for this semester! I’m so excited, in three weeks we’ll get to play!” Yuri covered her face with both of her hands, she was turning red of the excitement.

 

“It’s from lc04shscaptain@***********, it’s legit.” Chaewon felt chills down her spine.

 

“I’m so excited! We’re finally having a practice match!” Yuri exclaimed.

 

“Joyul, this is not something to be excited about! We don’t even have a coach!” Yena grabbed her by the shoulder.

 

“We can just ask the Amazon, y’know? From that golden batch!” Yuri clasped her hands and smiled.

 

“The Amazon? Who’s that, and where do we even find her?” Yujin leaned at the sofa, with her right arm around Chaewon.

 

“I’m positive she’s always at the sports course faculty office.” Wonyoung said, reading something like a giant leather covered book with a batch number written on it.

 

“How’d you know? You just transferred a few months ago.” Yujin stood up and walked towards her.

 

“It’s on this basketball team year book, see? Lee Kaeun – East High School Knights The Amazon.” Wonyoung pointed at an old photo where the girl had a wavy blonde hair with light brown highlights on top of her head. She was smiling as if it was the best day of her life. “Isn’t she the girl who was scoring us the other day?” Wonyoung chewed on the bread that Hitomi gave her.

 

Beside Lee Kaeun’s picture was a girl with a blonde hair and pink highlights, with the name Kwon Eunbi – East High School Knights, Executor. She seemed familiar to Yena and Yuri’s eyes but they can’t even remember. Then there was Chaewon who immediately recognized her. I can’t believe this is what that Coach looked like back when she was in high school. Surprising. She thought to herself.

 

“I figured it out when she didn’t even ask us how to score. I thought that maybe she used to be a player, or something.” For once, Hitomi was eating a bowl of rice.

 

“I noticed it when she smiled like the one in the group portrait in the changing room. You know? She smiled when Chaewon did a crossover that made Yujin and Wonyoung’s fall. Ms. Lee really did look like the ones in the old footages! She only does that smile when she reigns at the court!” Yuri explained as if she was a big fan of the said player.

 

“Let’s talk to her now! Yena, are you coming?” Yujin asked.

 

Yena was dressed differently, she wasn’t on her school uniform. She wore a large black raglan sweat shirt, and black skinny jeans. She also has a brown leather backpack.

 

“I have to be somewhere today, I’ll be back tomorrow morning.” Yena grabbed the plain black zip-up hoodie placed on the sofa, without any other words, she headed out.

 

“Hey, where do you think is she going?” Chaewon asked the remaining four people in the room.

 

“Maybe she’s going on a date!” Yujin guessed, smiling widely at the other four.

 

“Should we follow her?” Hitomi prompted.

 

“Nice thinking, Hitomi!” The three left the house, with Yujin dragging Chaewon out.

 

In the end, it was only Jo Yuri and Jang Wonyoung who’ll go to school to ask the famed Amazon to become their coach, even for just a short time. The two also left the house.

 

•••

 

Twelve-thirty at noon, Yena stood alone outside the train station, she was waiting for someone. She was looking at her watch repeatedly then looking around the area as if being cautious.

 

“Why does she look like she’s waiting for a drug dealer, or some hired killer?”

 

“Yujin, I’ve known Yena since middle school but… I wouldn’t want to think that maybe she’s waiting for someone like a sugar mom or dad? Y’know?” Chaewon tried to keep her balance as she spied on her teammate from afar. “Gosh why did I even forget about my contacts?” Chaewon added as she squinted her eyes more to try and see Yena clearly.

 

“Babe, that’s not good.” Yujin shook her head.

 

“Chaewon, what is a Sugar mom or dad?” Hitomi asked with a bread on .

 

“Hitomi, you really love bread, huh?” Chaewon raised a brow.

 

“Yes, I love ‘em so much!” She delightfully responded.

 

“Here’s an unlimited bread coupon for that bakery over there, use this to treat yourself.” Chaewon redirected Hitomi towards the bakery. The younger girl followed and went to the bakery.

 

“Hey, someone’s walking towards her!” Yujin pointed at the girl walking towards Yena.

 

Yena immediately ran to the girl and hugged her. She kissed the girl’s forehead.

 

“She’s got a new one!?” They both exclaimed.

 

•••

 

“I’ve been waiting for you!” Yena hugged the girl who just arrived who wore a fitted white blouse, and a black pencil skirt. The girl was slightly smaller than her, and had a long black hair.

 

“I’m sorry if I’m a bit late, I had to discipline those idiots before I leave.” The girl explained.

 

Yena shook her head. “It’s alright. I understand.” She cupped her hands on her cheeks and gave her a kiss on her forehead. Yena was about to hold her hand when she noticed a button on her blouse, specifically on the chest area.

 

“Are you alright with a button like this? Look, its open and it won’t close.” She pulled the girl to a bench to force her to sit, and leaned to try and close her buttons.

 

“Yena, don’t force it.” The girl patted Yena’s head.

 

“Then, wear this for me.” Yena removed her zip-up hoodie and placed it over the girl. “Let’s go.” Yena grabbed her by the hand and went inside the train station.

 

Yujin slowly went out of the dark lane, and ran towards the train station, Chaewon tried to follow her but she almost slipped, Yujin was able to grab her wrist before she could even fall.

 

“Are you alright?” Yujin asked.

 

This is just a fling, don’t fall for her, Kim Chaewon! She screamed at the back of her head before responding.

 

“Yes, I’m perfectly fine. I just can’t see clearly since I forgot to put on my contact lenses because you dragged me out, right?” Chaewon answered.

 

“Oh, sorry.” Yujin pulled a pair of glasses from her pocket. “Can you try this out?” She asked.

 

“It’s perfect.” Chaewon smiled as she once again saw the surroundings in clear view after wearing Yujin’s round thin rimmed glasses.

 

They were lucky to have made it on the train where Yena and the girl and rode.

 

•••

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter