The East and South (5)

Fast Break: The East and the South
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 05 ・ Well?

 

“Sakura, go ahead and apologize to Chaeyeon.” Nako kicked her roommate's blocking that one last step to be close to the upper bunk's ladder. Sakura was playing on her console, with both of her hands focused on her controller, she purposely ignored what Nako said and continued playing her game.

 

“I don't even care now. I tried to apologize before but she didn't even give an answer. Ugh, why does she have to be so bratty?” Sakura rubbed the back of her neck, up to her head. Aw, man. No dinner again, aunt Eunbi— I mean coach's out.

 

“Technically, it's still your fault. Going out with Kodama Haruka from West High's Japanese branch while also being Chaeyeon's girlfriend, wow. Such a player. You're not even pretty, and you're also…” Nako looked at Sakura's chest to compare it with hers. “Nevermind.” Nako placed a pillow on her face to counter the loud noises from Sakura's game.

 

“It's not my fault if she easily gets jealous.” Sakura mumbled as she angrily tried to pass the current stage of the game, unfortunately, she lost. Ugh. This is all Lee Chaeyeon's fault. Damn it, I miss her. Sakura then, buried her face on the pillow beside her. She heard three knocks, and Hyewon opened the door.

 

“Sakura, would you mind going out on a date tomorrow?”

 

A smile drew on Nako's face as she heard Hyewon's invitation.

 

••


“Na Goeun? Where'd you get my number?” Yuri stood up from her bed and asked the girl on the other line, who turned out to be the replacement referee from their game earlier.

“Does that even matter? Haha, My bad. I might've seemed like a creep too. I'll tell you if you agree to go for a short date tomorrow. You okay with it?” Goeun invited.

“Yeah, sure...” Yuri heard someone enter their room, that turned out to be Yena. “Let's meet tomorrow, at two.” She made her voice even louder for Yena to hear.

“Cool! So see you tomorrow at around two in the afternoon. I'll see you in the train station.”

“Okay then, bye...” Yuri ended the call and sat again on her bed.

“Who’re you meeting tomorrow?” Yena asked, she was tying her shoelaces.

“Does it even matter? I don't even ask who you're always meeting at this time of the night, right?” Yuri answered Yena as if she was feeling so attacked.

“I’m sorry, I just wanted to ask. So you're skipping training tomorrow?” Yena packed up her things. She knew how tomorrow is a sunday but still proceeded to ask.

“Tomorrow’s a Sunday. We don't have school.”

“Oh yeah... Okay, I'll be going now.”

•••

“Yujin, I think I might've seen that Na Goeun before.” They were the only ones on the dining room, Hitomi was already asleep. The two decided to eat something late night, chicken and pizzas. Wonyoung was chewing on the pepperoni pizza.

“Where?” Yujin’s eyebrows raised.

 

“I might've seen her in one of those y'know?  Best player awardees on a tournament or something.” Wonyoung explained. Few minutes of thinking, “Oh!” She exclaimed as if she solved something on her mind. Yujin almost spewed the can of flavored beer she was drinking in front of  Wonyoung.

 

“What the heck, Wonyoung! I almost wasted this last can of beer!” Yujin gulped the beer on .

 

“Why are you drinking Chaewon's beer? Are you even allowed to drink?” Wonyoung glared at Yujin.

 

“Wonyoung, can I ask you something?”

 

“Go ahead if you're still sober.”

 

“What did you tell the Sports course head?” Yujin leaned on her chair. “You didn't do something indecent, right?” She added. Wonyoung took a breath and stared at Yujin.

 

••

 

“Good evening, my name is Jang  Wonyoung. I’m the next head of the Jang Group. I’ll pay you any amount if you let Ms. Kim Chaewon of the bowling club to the basketball club.” Wonyoung placed the rejected papers on the course head's table.

“J-Jang Group y-you say?” just from hearing Jang Group from her lips, the course head started shaking.

“If you won’t, then I’m afraid I’ll have to tell my parents to pull out their support in the compass union." Wonyoung slowly pulled her phone out of her pocket, looking as dangerous as she is when serious.

 

“Ha-haha! Do you think I'll believe you? Show me the proof that you are indeed the Jang Group's heiress!”

 

Wonyoung sighed and placed her bag down. She pulled her wallet out of her bag and pulled a family picture that looked like it was taken from a certain unique house. There she was on the middle, wearing a white dress while standing behind an old couple wearing a hanbok. Beside her are also young girls and boys presumably on the same age as her or even older. Behind her was her parents and her aunts and uncles. “Is this enough? This is a one of a kind photo not released to the media, and only Jang family members have this copy. It even has the current family head's signature here.” She pointed at the back of the photo, beside the writings which wrote The Jang Family, there was a consistent signature familiar to the course head. “If this is still not enough, maybe I'll get my father to change our course head… maybe to someone kinder than the current one? Hahaha!” She added.

 

“Eeek! Forgive me! I'll transfer Ms. Kim Chaewon at once!” As fast as a bullet train leaving the stations, the course head began typing on his laptop, and soon handed Wonyoung the copy of the rejected application with an approved note attached on it via a stapler.

 

••

 

“Wow, amazing. Am I watching some sort of a drama?” Yujin covered in surprise.

 

“That's the power of the Jang Group.” Wonyoung took a bite from the chicken in between her chopsticks. “Everyone is more than willing to even the sole of our shoes just to get close to our family.” She explained.

 

From where she sat, Yujin felt a little weird—it’s becoming a little… hot? Is it because of me, drinking a huge can of flavored beer, or the chicken is just that spicy? Yujin watched the droplets of sweat running down from Wonyoung's temples down to her neck. y. She gulped. She tried keeping her attention away from Wonyoung but things seem to not fall in the right place, or maybe it might've already fell in the right place, but Yujin was too confident that the girl must first fall for her then she could fall next.

 

Feeling a little bit of dizziness, Yujin dropped the glass that had a portion of the beer inside and her empty plate on the floor. She was too focused on thinking—or drunk? To even notice until she saw Wonyoung disappear from her sight, she explored the whole dining area with her eyes and was surprised to see Wonyoung cleaning up after the shattered pieces of the glass she just dropped.

 

Yujin stood up from her chair and knelt on the left side of Wonyoung who was picking up the glass.

 

“Finally, you're going to help me.” Wonyoung said as she still picks up the little shards on the floor. “Ouch!” She exclaimed after her left index finger got pricked by the sharp shard of broken glass.

 

“Eh? Yujin?”

 

Yujin silently grabbed Wonyoung's left hand with her right hand, What is she going to do? Wonyoung thought to herself as she stared at the possibly drunk An Yujin, holding her left hand. Yujin soon placed her finger a bit inside her lips, and soon the blood off her finger.

 

“Wonyoung…” Wonyoung stood up after Yujin the blood off her finger, it was weird. Yujin also stood up in response, she was walking towards Wonyoung, while she continued to take a step back until she reached the walls. She tried to flee by trying to run on her side, but Yujin locked her with her arm, and rested her head on her shoulder.

 

“Y-Yujin! This isn't funny!” it wasn't long until she heard a snore.

 

“MY BEER!” Kim Chaewon gasped as she entered the dining room in attempt to get her beer but was more surprised to see her last can of beer on the table.

 

She paused when she saw Wonyoung and Yujin. Okay, maybe I'll get angry tomorrow. She pretended as if she didn't see anything. Good thing I was able to compose myself the day we broke up, well, t'was just a fling, no biggie. Sigh, what is that Yujin even planning? She outta collect the girls in this shared house? Quite the player I was expecting. Chaewon sat at the lower bunk, she grabbed her phone to check her sns for a bit.

 

At least she's a lot better than Yena, she can say I love you properly. That idiot Yena never even said I love you to Yuri ever since they became a thing back then. It's still funny how Yuri broke up with Yena with something as small as that. Chaewon opened her duffle bag to get a can of beer. This'll do, I just need something to make me fall asleep. She thought as she opened the can.

 

“Chaewon, is that beer?” She gulped as she heard Hitomi's voice.

 

“What did I say about bringing alcoholic beverages on my shared house?” Hitomi was staring down at her soul from the upper bunk. Chaewon looked back at Hitomi as if she was a mere commoner who just insulted the queen of the palace.

 

“It's not allowed…”

 

“And what did you just do?”

 

“I brought an amount of cans inside…”

 

“And what will you do to keep on living on this house for free?”

 

“I will be the one in charge of cooking, laundry, trashes, cleaning…?”

 

“Cool, I'm going back to sleep.”

 

••

 

While you're out tonight, going on a date with an old lady… I'm here in our room, crying… Yuri curled up like a ball on her bed. As it seemed like she was going to be sleeping alone again tonight. She opened her phone and scrolled through her gallery again. Her hands were shaking as her thumb were an inch far from the part of the screen where a photo album named Yena and Yuri she accidentally pressed it, and everything automatically went on a slide show.

 

Damn it Yena, I miss you so much, I wanted to hug you as much as we did before but I can't even do it now. Yena you should've told me those I love you's before. You should've waited until I've finished saying my goodbyes and I love you's on phone. she started deleting Yena's selcas on her phone. When she was finished, she can't bring herself to delete their pictures. Those redundant dates they had on the pet café nearby, those dates when they're forced to buy just one drink on a coffee shop because both of them were broke, trying to find good basketball shoes, she misses those forehead kisses that Yena used to give her. Yena, I hate you but I still love you. Though I guess, this is really the end for us. She wiped her tears and went to bed, she unknowingly just pressed the 'hide album’ on her phone instead of the delete.

 

••

 

On her black skinny jeans, red vans slip on shoes, fitted black shirt and plaid black and white hoodie, Choi Yena arrived at the condominium where she always visited a few weeks back. She rang the doorbell and was surprised to see Eunbi wearing an oversized thin-fabric

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter