The East and South (6)

Fast Break: The East and the South
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 06 • Different Days

 

0.1 • Explanations / The Jang Family

 

“Sakura?”

 

“Chaeyeon!?”

 

“Hyewon asked me out on a date and told me a while ago that she's waiting here.”

 

“Huh? It was the same for me! But Minjoo's the one who asked me out!”

 

The both were surprised to see each other on the same place. The other benches on the park were full, Sakura had no choice but to sit at the same bench as her ex. Once Sakura was beside Chaeyeon, she was reminded of what happened a few months ago.

 

••

 

A few months back, Sakura went back to Japan for a week to fix her some of her papers in South High's Japanese branch. Her teammates sent her off, including her girlfriend—Lee Chaeyeon. They were so sweet at the airport that their teammates wanted to puke their stomachs out. Nako and the others left ahead of them and Chaeyeon was the one to wait for Sakura until she has boarded the plane.

 

Inside the plane, Sakura was surprised to see Kodama Haruka, her ex girlfriend. They broke up when Sakura accepted the Korean Branch of West High School's exchange student offers. They both didn't want to break up, but they knew they won't be able to maintain a long distance relationship, they have decided to finish it before it gets even worse. Sakura and Haruka had quite the long talk, the ex-lovers surely missed each other after a year of break up. It turned out that Haruka was in Korea for some family vacation, and she went back a week earlier than her parents because she has school.

 

After Sakura had finished submitting some of her papers, Haruka invited her to eat out and to catch up to what they missed. Sakura politely declined the offer, but Haruka insisted. She ended up eating out with her on the café, where her problem started. Haruka took a photo of the two of them and posted it on her instagram, with the caption: After everything that happened, you're still the one. Nako came from the same school as them, and was also friends with Haruka. She saw it on her feed and was surprised, she didn't notice that Chaeyeon was standing behind her, staring at the instagram post. What broke Chaeyeon's heart even more was that Sakura even liked the post. Haruka tried to get back on her again, but Sakura confessed that she's already dating someone.

 

When Sakura got back to Korea, there was no Lee Chaeyeon waiting at the airport for her. It was just Nako, Minjoo, and Hyewon. Upon entering the house, Chaeyeon immediately broke everything off with Sakura. In agreement, they agreed to not bring their personal fights in the basketball court.

 

••

 

Sakura didn't want to miss this chance to explain everything to Chaeyeon. And so she did.

 

“I don't really know what to believe right now.” Chaeyeon sighed and looked at Sakura. “How can I be so sure that you're telling the truth?” She added.

 

“Go ahead and call Haruppi. Ask her what I told her when she asked me to go out with her again.” Sakura pulled out her phone and gave it to Chaeyeon.

 

“Girl, I'm speechless.” Nako said behind the bushes.

 

“Sakura's doing it huh. Let's get it, girl.” Hyewon said while munching down a bag of chips.

 

“Hyewon, where'd you get that bag of chips?” Minjoo asked while still on her binoculars, watching the ex-lovers.

 

“On your bag, twinnie.” Hyewon answered.

 

“Aish! You darn!” Minjoo angrily glared at Hyewon.

 

“Oh my gawd, shut it. I can't hear what they're talking about.” Nako threatened the two with a duct tape. “If you don't shut up I'm putting this on your mouths!” She said.

 

“O-okay vice-captain!”

 

••

 

“As if I wanted to get married with you!” Miru sat at the sofa on Wonyoung's room. She have brought Wonyoung into the Jang house to help her call off their engagement. “Man, I'm really serious about Yagura. Can't you just help me?” Miru sighed. “If you help me, I'll help you out too.” She proposed.

 

“I don't think we can call this off.” Wonyoung said, curled up on her bed and hugging a pillow. “My parents’ words are absolute. They wanted me on South High, but I ran away and sent my application to the East.” She explained.

 

“But… but… I don't want to get stuck with someone taller than me for the rest of my life!”

 

They heard the door open, revealing a middle-aged man wearing a black suit. It was Wonyoung's Father.

 

“The nerve of you to use our family name for your own happiness after running away from our household.” He angrily slammed the door close. “You ran away, then you used our family name to merely transfer someone from one club to another? You're still the same useless Jang Wonyoung!” her father exclaimed.

 

“Father, I'm sorry—” She was about to get slapped by her father but Miru grabbed her father's wrist, preventing him from slapping his daughter.

 

“Sir, I don't think that is something you must do to your daughter.”

 

“Shut up, Shiroma. This is something between my daughter and the family.” Wonyoung's father let out a heavy sigh. “Wonyoung, starting today, you're going to live again in this house and you're going to follow everything we say.” From where Miru stood, she felt irritated seeing how Wonyoung's father would treat her daughter.

 

“Damn it this is so annoying.” Miru grabbed Wonyoung's wrist and pulled her out of the mansion. Who knew she's been living with that kind of people for so long? Ugh. I'd rather kill myself than to follow their demands if I were Wonyoung, that is. Miru continued running until they reached the gates that automatically opened.

 

“Get on!” Miru passed Wonyoung her spare helmet.

 

“Hold on tight, we’re going overspeeding.”

 

••

 

“What did Haruppi say when you called her?” Sakura asked.

 

“She said you declined her invitation because you're already dating someone.” Chaeyeon avoided looking through her eyes.

 

“Now, do you believe me?” Sakura held Chaeyeon's hands and looked into her eyes.

 

“Oh my gawd! Nako! Nako! Look!”

 

“Shut it Minjoo! I have eyes, I can see it!”

 

“Wow, they're so sweet.”

 

“Hyewon, whose ice candy is that?” Nako asked.

 

“Yours.”

 

“Y-You!”

 

••

 

“I'm pretty sure we lost them.” Miru cautiously looked at their surroundings before turning at the street where Wonyoung lives. She turned at the street and parked her motorcycle beside a street lamp.

 

Yujin went out to buy her late night foods but this was a bit later than usual, it's at two in the morning. She saw Miru removing the helmet on Wonyoung and is telling her something serious, when she turned to look at Wonyoung, she was smiling. Her eyes enlarged.

 

Miru brought Wonyoung on their gate, Yujin ran towards the gate and asked Wonyoung.

 

“Wonyoung, do you know what time is it?”

 

“It's two?”

 

“I told you to be back before 10 right?”

 

“Er.. what's the big deal if I go home late? I already told you that Miru will bring me home.”

 

“Yujin, are you jealous?” Miru crossed her arms.

 

“H-Huh? Me? Jealous? Of course not! We're not even dating!” Yujin said, denying what Miru just asked her.

 

“Yujin, you sound so guilty.” Wonyoung chuckled.

 

“Of course, why wouldn't I get worried about you? You're the youngest cinnamon roll in the house! You're the baby!”

 

“Nevermind. Wonyoung, I'll be going now.”

 

“Bye Miru! Thanks again!”

 

••

 

“Chaeyeon~”

 

“Sakura~”

 

“UGH MAKE THEM STOP!” Nako covered her ears, and closed her eyes. She can't stand watching the cheesiest couple she ever saw in her whole life. They were feeding each other in front of her, like those newly wedded couples.

 

“Nako, this is your plan. You can't stop the results.” Hyewon continued eating her ice cream.

 

“You even dragged us into this and now you're complaining, nice one Vice-captain.” Minjoo shook her head while taking a spoonful of the ice cream on her cup.



0.2 • Tell me you love me

 

Park Middle School.

 

Back when Yena and Yuri were still in second year middle school, they were never close. Yuri would always be friends with everyone in the class, Yena used to be the same during their first year but she just changed one day. Yena became a loner that hugs everyone in class randomly, and when she does, her faces lights with in joy. One day, Yuri saw Yena crying, being everyone's friend, she asked Yena.

 

“Yena, what's wrong?”

 

“I miss my family.” She thought that Yena was just being immature, because who would miss their family in middle school when you live with them everyday? Yuri realized she was wrong when she heard Yena say something she couldn't believe.

 

“My family died in an accident a few weeks ago. I'm only living with what they've left me.”

 

Yuri stopped herself from crying. Instead, she asked Yena one last thing. “Do you know how to play basketball? Let's play!” Yena nodded, and soon they started playing. On the second half of their second year, Yena asked Yuri out. Which she gladly accepted. They soon became lovers on their third year middle school, they kept it from anyone.

 

••

 

“Yena, do you remember the girls who got nominated with Yuri for MVP during the Moon Cup finals in middle school?” It was unusual for this trio to be at home, Choi Yena, Honda Hitomi and Kim Chaewon, and it's been a week since Yuri started going out with Goeun. Chaewon asked Yena if she remembered that one moment from their middle school.

 

“I don't really remember. I just remember how cute Yuri was back then when the trophy was awarded to her.”

 

Wow, you're dating my cousin and you still find your ex cute? Yena, you really are a trash with Yujin. Chaewon sighed and sipped from her cup of tea. “Jo Yuri, was awarded as the Moon Cup MVP, the other nominees that were given certificates of appreciation were as follows: Na Goeun of Moon Middle School, and me, the titania, the one and only, the beautiful, Kim Chaewon of St. Maria Girls Middle School. The battle was close between Yuri and Goeun that time.” Chaewon explained.

 

“What about it?” Yena said, still focused on the tv show she was watching.

 

“Remember that issue about a student sending a complaint letter to the Moon Cup organizer, saying that the awarding was unjust and that the award was meant for her?”

 

“What about it? It's probably you who sent that letter.”

 

“What the…? Yena you really think I'm that kind of person?!”

 

“Why not?”

 

“Aish! But I'm not the one who sent that letter. My parents’ were one of the sponsors, they were happy for me to get a n

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter