The East and South (11)

Fast Break: The East and the South
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 11 • Interference

 

“What did I just do… with the microphone a while ago?” On their room, Chaewon asked her teammates, they just looked at her.

 

“You publicly said that you're going to court Coach Kwon Eunbi.” Yuri answered her.

 

“Ya told ‘veryone you goin’ 'ta court Coach Kwon.” Yiren continued typing on her phone, must be texting Matsui Jurina from the West.

 

“Girl you screamed your thing, saying you gon’ court Coach Kwon.” Yena leaned on the wall beside her futon.

 

“You used the mic to tell Coach Kwon that you're going to court her.” Wonyoung smiled at her.

 

“You basically… Told everyone your intentions towards Coach Kwon?” Yujin raised a brow. Everyone in the room were trying to put what she did in different words.

 

“You asked Coach Kwon out.” Hitomi said.

 

“But she hasn't even asked her out yet.” Yunjin stared at Hitomi. “It's still going to the same direction, Chaewon would ask her out soon. It's still the same.” Hitomi answered with her usual bread on .

 

“Now that you've said it.” Yunjin nodded. “Then, you basically announced your intentions to her players which are like her parents. To court their daughter.” It was the longest answer she heard from someone inside the room.

 

“You told everyone you like Coach Kwon Eunbi, and you're prepared to take it to the extremes like asking her out on a date, keeping her company, not hurting you, etcetera etcetera… when she gives you a yes after you court her.” Kim Choyeon explained.

 

“So… I really said all of that…” Chaewon rubbed her temples. “I don't even know what she likes! How do I even court a Kwon Eunbi?! Wait—I don’t even know to court!”

 

“We're going back to our room, bye Chaewon.” Yiren dragged the other two, Yunjin and Choyeon out of the room to go back to their own.

 

On the other room, Eunbi was still not herself when she got back on their room with her players. “What… happened?” she asked.

 

“Chaewon said she's going to court you.” Chaeyeon answered.

 

Gosh! What's with the people from my team?! Why do things with our rivals suddenly happen?! Nako hid herself on her blanket in disappointment.

 

“What should I do?” Eunbi balled herself on the corner of the room. It was her first time being courted.

 

••

 

It was sunday, a day rest was alright for the East High School Team. Wonyoung was forced to stay the night at her family's house when they got blocked by some of their men on their way out of the resort. Yujin patiently waited for this sunday to come, she was excited to be with Wonyoung. One o'clock in the afternoon, huh? She was smiling as she sat on her bed.

 

As soon as Wonyoung got up on her bed, she immediately chose the best clothes on her closet. She made sure she looked pretty, and all. When she looked at the mirror, she asked herself mentally. Why am I getting so conscious on how I'd look… Does this mean… I'm in love with An Yujin? No, Wonyoung. That can't be. She continued styling herself up. Nearly done, her door opened and revealed her father.

 

“Oh, so the butler already told you?”

 

“Told me what?” She raised a brow.

 

“We're going to a party. You'll be meeting your new partner.” Her father's lips curved into a smile. “The maids will bring you a dress in a few minutes, get in to it and come down stairs. We have things to do. And I'm taking this.” he went and took Wonyoung's phone before he left the room.

 

Yujin… I'm sorry.

 

••

 

It's been an hour, where's Wonyoung? Did she get stuck on something? Yujin sat on the stairway, she's been waiting since an hour before their meeting time, still no signs of Wonyoung. She isn't even replying to her messages, Yujin was getting worried…

 

“Yujin! What are you doing here? Wonyoung hasn't arrived yet?” It was Yuri and Yena, they were out for a date.

 

“Yeah, I've been waiting for an hour already.” Yujin forced a smile while looking at the two.

 

“Eh? Are you serious about Wonyoung?” Yena asked.

 

“Huh? What are you talking about?” Yujin was turning red.

 

“You like Wonyoung right? We noticed it after you were desperately asking Coach to make her play again despite being injured.” Yuri explained.

 

They stopped and talked for a bit before leaving her, there were still no signs of Wonyoung. While still waiting for her messages, she continued to sit on the stairs. Wonyoung, are you going to ditch me? She thought.

 

“Oh god this is too heavy.”

 

“Are you complaining, Kim Chaewon?”

 

“Of course not!”

 

“Wow, Chaewon's really doing it.” Yujin smiled as she saw Chaewon carrying four grocery bags, two on each of her hands. She was a few steps behind Kwon Eunbi who was walking without carrying anything.

 

Her phone rang, she thought it was Wonyoung.

 

“Hello?” She greeted.

 

“Awww! My baby! I'm going to some party tonight, wanna join? I heard the Jangs are also in it.” Oh, it's just father. He's probably doing what I asked him to do. Yujin took a deep breath. “What's the name of that Jang Group's youngest daughter?” She asked.

 

“Jang Wonyoung, right?” Her father answered.

 

“I see, I'm in the train station. I'm going with you.”

 

“Someone in a red motorcycle is coming there for you.”

 

“Got it, thanks.”

 

Parties… I have a bad idea about this. Yujin crossed her arms, soon a man in a black suit riding a motorcycle stopped in front of her. She immediately rode at the back.

 

••

 

“Guys, short announcement. Coach Lee won't be coaching us anymore. She received an order from the higher ups that she'll be sent to the East High Japanese Branch. For the meantime, we have to… rely on Chaewon.” Yuri explained to her teammates. Everyone was surprised to have learned the news.

 

“Why Chaewon?” Yujin raised a brow.

 

“She knows how to train people. It's impossible that she didn't learn from Kwon Eunbi.” Yuri looked over to Chaewon who was looking grumpy than she always had since she announced that she planned to court her former coach.

 

“I hate late. Expect hell if you come late for our training. Understand?” Chaewon crossed her arms as she glared at her teammates who always arrive late for trainings.

 

Is she pizza hut to hate late? Yujin bit her lower lip to try and stop herself from laughing because of what she just thought.

 

Wonyoung was looking as stressed as she has been since the day when she was supposed to go to the planetarium with Yujin. My new partner will be someone from a… I don't even want to think about it. It's probably my family who went and transferred Coach Lee. She sighed heavily.

 

“Wonyoung, training's going to start.” Yujin tapped her shoulder lightly.

 

“Ah, yeah.” Wonyoung noticed how Yujin has been feeling really happy lately, when she asks, Yujin refuses to tell her why.

 

••

 

That sunday night, Yujin arrived at the party hall in a black suit, and white blouse with a thin ribbon. There were four men in black squared around her. She was greeted by her parents, her father in a violet suit and black band collared shirt, and her mother in a matching violet strapless dress. Both hiding their faces in a gold colombina mask. They handed Yujin a gold colombina mask to match theirs.

 

“I wasn't informed that this is a masquerade ball.” Yujin inspected the mask before wearing it.

 

“Oh dear, put on this amethyst brooch.” Her mother pulled a circular brooch from her clutch and placed it on Yujin's collar. “Now you look like me when I was your age.” Her mother giggled.

 

“Yujin, are you coming with us? We are going to the Jang Group's table. This man from the An's is going to surprise them.” Her father smirked.

 

“No, I'll be fine watching from our table.” Yujin shook her head and sat at the chair wrapped by a white cloth. Her parents smiled at her before going to the table where she immediately recognized Wonyoung who was sitting with her family uncomfortably.

 

The An House had a unique history, they are considered as an organized criminal group, and has connections on anyone in the underground—they hold some of the establishments in the upperground such as some restaurants, malls, and other shops. Their name is feared in the upperground because of their power and their so called word—they always do what they say they would do, if they told you they'll kill you someday, then you'll die on that someday. This is why Yujin hated wearing the crest of the An House, she hated how shop attendants would get scared of her once they see the An House pin on her collar when she was in middle school and she ends up not paying anything. Well, they aren't really supposed to be wearing family crests, but her parents liked the idea because it was cool so they designed one when they were arranged and that's where the terror started once the people who are under them sees the pin on their collars. They were inspired by the Japanese family crests when her father was still an exchange student in Japan, researching about cultures and stuff.

 

The An House also have their own unique business, they offer security services, and they are secretly connected to the police. Contrary to the Jang Group who owns an electronic services company called the J Electronics.

 

Yujin watched her parents make their way towards the table that had its occupants wearing black and white themed clothes. Wow, Wonyoung really looks cute on that one-shoulder black dress. But the smile on her face turned into a frown when she noticed that when Wonyoung wants to go somewhere, she would always be followed by two attendants.

 

On the Jang Group's table, the middle aged man, Wonyoung's father, stood up immediately upon seeing the gold pin on the violet suited man who stopped on their table. He immediately shook his hand.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter