The East and South (13)

Fast Break: The East and the South
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 13 • I Love You

 

“Wow, I never knew that Chaewon can cook this good. She'd make a good wife. Yuri! Careful, you might get fat—”

 

Yena received a slap stronger than Shiroma's passes, it was from Yuri.

 

“I do think you can cancel that point guard. You have Wonyoung and Yujin on that formation. You also have Yunjin for substitution. Do you guys have someone who used to play street basketball?” Chaeyeon asked after taking a spoonful of the curry. “Because that's the one thing we didn't really have. All of us came from exclusive middle schools. Maybe if you have someone then, that could help.” She added.

 

“Wonyoung, you used to play streetball right?” Minjoo raised a brow and pointed her spoon at Wonyoung.

 

“Yeah, but that was before.” Wonyoung answered.

 

“So it's a no… huh…?” Minjoo went back into a deeper thinking. It was a bit awkward sitting beside her ex-girlfriend An Yujin. “Yujin—ugh, you don't right?” She sighed heavily.

 

“Uhm… I used to play streetball a lot.” Hitomi raised her hand.

 

“What?! Hitomi?!” They exclaimed.

 

“Are you sure? Maybe you're forced! Don't force yourself!” Yena grabbed Hitomi's shoulder which made her a but frightened. “It's true! I played it a lot in Japan!” She answered.

 

“Here in Korea?” Yuri tilted her head in curiosity.

 

“I play with some adults every morning. Y'know, with the owner of the basketball court near the convenience store.” she explained.

 

••

 

“Chaewon, you never change. You still love hanging around this house's roof.” Kwon Eunbi sat beside Chaewon who had a beer on her hand. “Will you be able to play properly tomorrow? You're drinking.” she added.

 

“Eunbi…” Chaewon whispered in a drunken voice.

 

“Huh? What?”

 

“Is it working? Am I really… helping you move on?”

 

Eunbi can't answer.

 

“No? I see. Maybe I should really stop now. I think I'm already annoying you.” She chuckled. “It was fun while it lasted, Coach Kwon.” Chaewon stood up and smiled at her. She went to the other roof.

 

Kwon Eunbi was frozen. She thought maybe Chaewon was being like this because she was really down earlier. Did I hurt her or something? Is this my fault? I was really down a while ago… she went to sit beside her again. Chaewon turned to look at her.

 

“Chaewon, thanks for courting me.” Eunbi lied beside the seated Chaewon. “I love how you put yourself in everything you do, I love your efforts. I'd like it if you'd continue courting me. Make me fall deeper than it is now.” She said with a joyful voice. Chaewon stood up but she slipped and fell on top of the older girl. “If you want then… I would.” She mumbled.

 

“Guess who's here!?” The other ten players, headed by Sakura, also climbed up the roof. They were carrying a plastic bag full of canned drinks and ice cream—probably the one Chaewon bought in the supermarket. Chaewon was startled, all she did was to roll and lie beside Eunbi.

 

“Wow, were you guys doing something? You're both red as tomatoes.” Yena sat on the ridge with Yuri. They peeled the ice cream's wrapper and started eating.

 

“Wonyoung, you're going to be there tomorrow… right?” On the least occupied part of the roof, Yujin asked Wonyoung who sat beside her.

 

“Of course. I'm going to play with you guys tomorrow. I promise.” Wonyoung smiled at Yujin. I'm sorry. She stood up and went to the window where they all came from. “I'm going to bed early.”

 

On her way to the living room where their futons were placed down, she remembered the call she had to take during dinner.

 

••

 

“What is it now?” Wonyoung tried to hide her frustration upon receiving the call from her father's secretary. She just can't believe that they've been following her without her consent. They even know where she is now.

 

“We'll come and fetch you there early in the morning.”

 

“I won't come. I have an important game tomorrow.” Wonyoung answered while keeping her voice low.

 

“But Young miss! Your father will get angry!”

 

“Then?”

 

“He'll pull you out of that team, whether you hate it or not. He'll do anything to remove you from the player roster. He can do it overnight if he has to. If he feels a bit bored than usual, then he'll remove your team from that tournament.”

 

Wonyoung bit her lower lip. She was trying not to cry. She gulped before answering her father's assistant on the other line.

 

“Young miss?”

 

“I'll go. Come and fetch me early tomorrow.” She sighed heavily, and closed her eyes. I'm sorry. I'm already becoming a big nuisance on my team. Her phone slipped out of her hand. She tries to hold back her tears, her hands were shaking so bad.

 

••

 

Yujin was a bit startled when she saw Minjoo sit beside her after Wonyoung left to sleep early.

 

“Yujin, do you like Wonyoung?” She asked.

 

“Would you hit me if I said yes?” Yujin continued sipping on her canned juice.

 

“No. I'm here to tell you that… she's about to go MIA tomorrow.” Minjoo said as she took a spoon of ice cream. Yujin looked at Minjoo in disbelief.

 

“I didn't mean to eavesdrop on her calls but it can't be helped. I also had to take a call that time. A call that is probably connected to the one she received.” She whispered.

 

“I heard she's leaving early tomorrow. The current head of the Jang Group probably asked for her presence and she can't decline, maybe her father can do anything like remove her from the player roster if she refuses to come— I don't know, but the Jang Family is so powerful they can do that.” Minjoo explained. “As for me, I declined my mother's request. I wanted to watch my ex-lover's game tomorrow, she agreed on me though.” She added.

 

“Is there something important going on tomorrow?” Yujin asked.

 

“There'll be something like a gathering tomorrow, and the expected next heads are supposed to give a speech or something. Well, I'm not one so I don't really need to be there. But my bro's gonna be the Kim Group's next head, and his speech is before the Jangs… so… yeah.”

 

••

 

Jang Wonyoung really disappeared when they woke up, but they only noticed it after a series of showers.

 

“Where's Wonyoung?” Yuri asked as she rubbed her eyes.

 

“Oh! I just received a text from her,” Yena hurriedly unlocked her phone.

 

I won't be at today's game, I'm sorry for being a nuisance to our team. It's because of me why Coach Lee was transferred to another school, my family wanted me to stop playing basketball so they thought removing our coach could stop me—but no. Now they took me away from the game. I won't be a nuisance starting today, I'm quitting the team. Go ahead and win without me. They're also probably going to transfer me to another school now. I'm sorry for keeping this to all of you.

 

“That Jang Wonyoung… Why is she telling this now?!” Yuri exclaimed.

 

“Forget about her. We're going to win this.” Yujin clenched her fists.

 

“B-but—” Hitomi tried to talk but was cut by Yujin.

 

“There's no time. If she'll play us like that, then let her be. It's her fault for keeping secrets like that to us.” I've also been keeping secrets. Yujin said as she picked up her duffle bag.

 

“Yujin's right. Let's go to the Arena now.” Yuri carried her bag and went out of the house.

 

Before they even ride the car again, Yujin grabbed Minjoo's left wrist.

 

“Hmm?” Minjoo turned to look at her.

 

“Can you ask your brother to make his speech longer and tell Wonyoung to go and play on toda

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter