Hangout

My Last Hope

Sehun smiles and bows his head as he wipes down a table, thanking some customers as they leave. When the bell above the door rings, he looks up and sighs. Kai grins as he casually slides into the booth Sehun's currently cleaning. "Just because you're my boyfriend, doesn't mean you get free coffee." 

Kai purses his lip, watching as some of Sehun's co-workers walk by. It's weird to call him that so casually but they both agreed to do it. Kai said it'd be better that way, in case word got back to his parents, Luhan, or Tao. "Aww, come on," Kai pretends to whine. "You look so hot in that apron, and it makes me so thirsty."

Sehun glares at him before going over to make a cup of coffee. He sets it down in front of Kai before slipping into the opposite seat. "It's weird seeing you in here," He says, and Kai shrugs.

"I don't go into coffee shops much," After taking a sip, Kai motions around. "Speaking of which, if you don't like coffee, why are you working here?"

Sehu smiles, remembering how Kyungsoo asked the same thing. "Minseok offered me the job, and I couldn't be picky."

Kai nods slowly as he leans back in his seat. He goes to pull out his cigarettes but stops when Sehun glares at him again. He raises his hands in defense before putting them back. "So, I've been thinking up a plan, for breaking them up; or at least trying."

"Trying?" Sehun frowns and Kai shrugs.

"We can only try. If this doesn't work, you'll have to let Luhan figure it out himself." Sehun opens his mouth to argue but sighs, closing it. Kai's right and he knows it. It just . "I think we should start with you."

Sehun furrows his brows in confusion. "Me?

"Luhan trusts you," Kai explains. "You should get him to open up to you about all of the flaws in their relationship. You should probably prove that you're over Tao, too."

"How...do I do that?" Sehun asks. In reality, he isn't sure he's a hundred percent over Tao. But he can act like it. 

"Just start small, you know? Smile at him but act preoccupied or busy. Don't linger to talk to him and don't seem sad."

"I never seem sad," Sehun announced proudly, causing Kai to smile.

"That's...true," He nods. "But when you ARE sad, you are the more miserable looking person I've ever seen."

"I am not!"

"You wear your heart on your sleeve," Kai snorts. "You gotta work on that, soft spot." Sehun wrinkles his nose at the nickname. "You see Tao around the apartment sometimes, so the next time he asks how you're doing just focus on the good." Kai puts a hand up and gives Sehun a pointed look. "Don't lie about your accomplishments but focus on them. You just finished a painting you've been working on for a month or something."

Sehun smiles. "How'd you know that?"

"Moving on," Kai ignores his question. "Do NOT make time for him; this will make him think twice. Tell him you're sorry, but you're about to meet a friend. Or, better yet, say you're meeting with me."

"What if I'm not, though?"

"Lie. You can lie, can't you?" Kai smirks, and Sehun crosses his arms. "When Tao texts or calls you, don't answer them right away. Take a day or so." Sehun leans on his hand, wondering why Kai is so good at this. He wonders if he had a particularly bad break-up at one point and time. "And don't stare at him."

"What?"

"Don't do that dumb, weird thing you do and stare at him; checking him out or whatever. I catch you doing that."

"It's hard not to...he's attractive!"

Kai shrugs. "I'm hot, but you don't stare all longingly at me," He huffs. He's never caught him checking Kai out. "Oh and another thing...he'll probably have to see us kiss a few more times." Sehun blushes and shyly feels the fabric of his apron. How can he say that so casually? "Anyway, looks like your lunch is over," He announces as he stands.

"How...do you know when my lunch is?"

"See you after work," Kai shrugs again before taking his cup and tossing it. He leaves after giving Sehun a quick wink. Sehun slowly stands and sighs, watching Kai get onto his motorcycle and drive off. He grabs his rag and smacks the table with it. That guy is strange.

"Do you know how creepy it is that you have a copy of my home key?" Sehun asks as he follows Kai up towards the apartment. 

"It's not like I made one," Kai laughs. "Baekhyun made it."

"Baekhyun made it?!"

Kai, once again, shrugs as he unlocks the door and opens it, letting Sehun enter first. He drops his keys when he sees Luhan straddling Tao on the couch; the room is dim with candles around. "O-oh my god."

"Whooa," Kai chuckles as he walks in. "You guys even lit up candles, fancy."

"Oh my god, Sehun!" Luhan gasps as he quickly gets off Tao. "I-I...Tao said you were going to spend the night at Baekhyun's tonight?"

"Really?" Kai looks at Tao, catching his eye. "Oooh, damn! He must have made a mistake; Sehun's going over NEXT week."

"Oh my," Luhan rubs his face in embarrassment. "Oh gosh, this is..."

"Come on now," Kai says. "I've seen half- men before. Isn't that right, babe?" Sehun widens his eyes when he feels a firm smack on his bottom. 

"You two already-" Tao begins but Kai cuts in.

"Are you kidding me? Two weeks in and this firey boy was all over me," Kai lies. "Right in the back of my car!" Luhan blushes wildly and giggles when seeing Sehun's red face. "Anyway, you kids have fun; don't mind us." Sehun's pulled by his arm down the hall and into his room. Once the door is closed and locked, Kai turns to him. "Wow, Tao must be one smart mother er. If I didn't hate the dude, I'd admire him."

"Did you have to smack my ?" Sehun grumbles as he pulls his shoes off.

"I'm serious, did you see that ?" Kai pulls his jacket off and sets it on a dresser. His voice is hushed. "He said you were supposed to be at Baekhyun? And he happens to be feeling Luhan up right when you get home?"

Sehun takes his pants off as he watches Kai. "You think this was on purpose?"

"Oh," Kai puts his hands on his hips. "I KNOW it was on purpose. But he doesn't know that I know and I'm going to make sure it stays that way."

"You lost me..."

"Oh man, you're so adorably dumb sometimes."

Sehun shakes his head as he changes into his pajamas. Something he always does after work. "What're you thinking then?"

"I think it means Tao has plans of his own, for you."

Sehun sits on his bed and up against the wall. He pulls his knees up to his chest and hugs them. "That sounds sinister..." When Kai opens the closet and starts to look for something, Sehun scoots closer. "What...are you looking for?"

"That painting you said you've been working on for like a month."

"Oh..." Sehun laughs nervously. "You don't want to see it."

"Sure, I do. I like your paintings." Kai grabs the one on the top shelf, and Sehun quickly stands.

"W-wait, don't look...." Sehun sighs when he grabs the canvas and looks at it. Slowly sitting back down, he's suddenly nervous. "At that," He finishes with a sigh. Kai stares at it for a moment. Sehun's never seen the man look surprised before, but h genuinely looks speechless. When he turns it around, Sehun stares at the unfinished painting of Kai. "I...I've painted all of my friends- this isn't weird."

"I..." Kai looks back at it. "I mean...are you sure?"

"Yes," Sehun mumbles. "I have paintings of everyone; Baekhyun,  Kyungsoo, Chanyeol..."

"Me."

"I..." Sehun blushes. "You said we were friends at the mall and I um...I originally just started painting it because I wanted to...pay you in my own, way...Like a..."

"You mean as thanks," Kai finishes. He sighs and sets it down. "I didn't do anything, you know."

"Sure you did. You've convinced both my parents, my ex-boyfriend and my roommate that you're my boyfriend. Which may not seem much to you, but it is to me. I...would probably have been -deep in more dumb blind dates."

"God forbid," Kai says, but Sehun can see a small smile rising. 

Sehun stares at the painting and h feels stupid now. "I can just toss it out if you want."

Kai looks at it too and shrugs. "Nah, you should finish it, it looks good." He sends a cocky grin. "And I'm not saying that because it's me."

Sehun rolls his eyes. "When we have our fake break-up, I'm going to tell everyone you left me for yourself."

"And who can blame me?"

"That ego is going to lead you to bad places, Kai."

Kai laughs. "It's lead me a lot of places, Sehun. Into fist fights, clubs, " He shrugs. "Sometimes bedrooms."

"What? You mean you never took a girl to your bedroom?"

"No one except for Taemin has been in my home," Kai reveals. He goes to the balcony, opening it before he pulls out a cigarette and lighting it. Sehun wonders what it could look like. Is it dark and dirty? Or is it clean, like Kyungsoo's place? "Maybe when all of this is over, I'll let you see it."

"What? Why me?" Sehun raises his brow.

Kai looks at Sehun's easal in thought. Once again ignoring his question, he stands up. "Paint me tomorrow."

Sehun stares at him. "Gosh, you're full of surprises and jokes today."

"I'm not kidding. How about I let you paint me, and in exchange, you can see my home."

Sehun gets off the bed to stand next to Kai and look at the easel. "I don't know, I've never...painted a live person; only from photos."

"So, you have a photo of me around?"

"Kai!" Sehun sighs in frustration, causing Kai to grin. "I'm serious! I don't paint people live!"

Kai looks at Sehun mischievously. "Let me break you in then."

Sehun blushes again at his use of words. He hides his face between his hands. "Do you...have to say it like that?"

"I'm not sure what you mean," Kai hums with false innocence in his voice. For someone supposedly straight, he's very flirtatious at times. Maybe it's just his personality, but it still embarrasses Sehun. He tries to hide it, but a lot of what Kai does makes him flutter a little. Sometimes all Kai has to do is keep staring at him everytime he talks; which is so stupid because it's a typical thing to do during conversations. What's he supposed to do? Ask Kai to never look at him? But deep down, he hates the idea of that. Of Kai never looking at him again. Because even if it's purely platonic, Sehun likes the attention Kai gives him. He likes everything about him — all except for the fact that he's straight.

Sehun frowns and tries to push his thoughts away. They feel inappropriate and is begging for Sehun to get hurt. Falling for a straight man would be a severe mistake. He bites his lip and looks at Kai. His dark hair blowing from the soft breeze of the open balcony door, his tan skin in contrast to the white tank top he wears. Sehun isn't sure, but he loves it when Kai wears white. Oh, he would make a beautiful first model. "Okay."

"Okay?"

Sehun slowly goes to his easel, touching its wood. "I-I'll try to paint you."

Kai smiles at him and Sehun almost melts. "There you go," He chuckles before putting his cigarette out and going back to the bedroom door. Grabbing his coat, Sehun takes a step towards him. 

"Oh, you're going already?"

Kai raises a brow at the clock. "Isn't it your bedtime?"

Sehun sits back on his bed and shrugs. "I don't have work in the morning," He says. He shyly looks at the floor. "I thought...uh, you know what, nevermind. It's dumb."

Kai leans against the door and smiles. "No, go on an ask me."

It must be easy for Kai, to ask something like this. But Sehun isn't used to such things. "I was...just gonna see if you wanted to, I don't know, hang out or something?"

"And do what?"

Sehun didn't exactly think that through. "Maybe we...could watch a movie?" Kai purses his lips in thought for a moment before finally nodding. He sets his jacket back down and leans down to take his boots off. 

"Alright, let's go for it," Kai says. Trying to hide his excitement, Sehun quickly stands. Kai opens the bedroom door, once again letting him go first. "But if you fall asleep, I'm leaving. Deal?"

"Deal! I'll make the popcorn!"
------------------------------

Spoiler: Sehun totally falls asleep