Bad Plan

My Last Hope

Sehun stares at himself in the mirror, almost not recognizing himself. He allowed Baekhyun to do his make-up, for the first time ever, much to his dismay. He lets Kai pull off his own leather jacket and shrugs it onto Sehun to wear. 

"Oh, good idea, Kai!" Baekhyun claps. "If he sees Sehun in your jacket, he'll go so crazy." Kyungsoo gets up from his spot on Baekhyun's bed and goes to Sehun side. He tilts his head and crosses his arms.

"This doesn't suit you," Kyungsoo says and Sehun smiles. He completely agrees. All of this dumb eyeliner and leather doesn't fit him at all. What's wrong with his regular sweaters and converse shoes? 

"Kyungsoo is right but Tao likes this kind of style," Baekhyun says as well. "Sehun says he's tried once or twice in high school to get him to dress like this."

"If he loves you, he wouldn't try to change you," Chanyeol states confidently. Everyone is right, of course. But would Tao really make him change? Sehun always thought Tao was trying to get him to step out of his comfort zone; not change who he is. He's absolutely confident that Tao likes him for who he is now. But to go that extra mile to win him over, he'll dress like this. When Kai goes to look at him, he suddenly feels shy.

"Your friends are right. You look cuter the way you normally are."

"You...think so?"

Kai shrugs. "I might not be gay but I know attractiveness when I see it."

"You think I'm attractive?"

"In a weird, artsy kind of way, yeah," Kai laughs before grabbing the keys to his friend's car. Deciding he didn't want to spend money on a rental all the time, Kai says he borrowed his friend, Taemin's, car. When Sehun asks him about Taemin, Kai states that he's his best friend. Sehun wonders what he's like. "Let's get going already," He says, interrupting Sehun's thoughts. With a sigh and a goodbye to his friends, Sehun lets Kai lead him to the car; looking at him oddly when he opens the door for him.

"I hate romantic movies," Kai reveals as he parks at the cinema. "So you two better be dry-humping each other before it finishes."

Sehun rolls his eyes and almost gags. He thanks Kai when he opens both car door and the cinema doors for him. It looks weird for a bad boy like Kai to have manners like that. But he's not going to say anything about it. "God, this jacket is so uncomfortable," Sehun whines. "How do Tao and you do it?"

"Easily," Kai just shrugs, leading Sehun up to the counter. "Do you want a snack?"

Sehun crosses his arms shyly. "Y-yes, always."

"You like candy, right?" When Sehun looks at him oddly, he shrugs again. "You talk a lot and I'm a better listener than you think."

"Sehun, Kai!" Luhan calls out, waving wildly. He holds onto Tao's arm as they walk off. Sehun sighs and rubs his head. He feels so stupid. What's he even doing? "Wow! You're all dolled up, Hun!"

"It..." Tao slowly grins, looking him up and down. "You look...amazing."

"Doesn't he?" Luhan smiles as well, not seeming to notice the way Tao looks at Sehun. The poor boy has always been oblivious. "Where did you get that jacket? Isn't it Kai's?" Tao's smile falters when he notices. Sehun glances over at Kai, who is busy ordering their food and tickets. He nods.

"Yeah, he let me borrow it," Sehun says truthfully. "I forgot a jacket, so he let me wear his."

"Strange," Tao hums. "You never forget a jacket."

"What can I say? I love movies so much, I got too excited." That's the truth. Sehun really does love going to the theater; no matter what he watches. The dumbly expensive theater food and the previews. Having to pee at a great moment and forcing himself to hold it in. 

"Yes," Tao chuckles, seeming to reminiscent of the past. "I remember we used to watch movies all the time," Sehun remembers that too, but he doesn't remember actually watching the movies; being distracted by his punk boyfriend at the time. He gasps when something cold is suddenly placed up against his neck. Rubbing the spot, he glares at Kai.

Kai genuinely laughs and holds his soda up. Sehun figures that's why it feels a bit wet. "You looked all lost and thought and I couldn't help myself." He seems to be having real fun, unlike his usual mocking demeanor.

"So you decide to scare the heck out of me?" Sehun laughs now, accepting the drink and snack. Kai rubs his hand on his drink, a mischevious look on his face. He tries to touch Sehun's neck once again and he lets out a small yelp and pushes his hands away playfully. "Come on, stop it." Kai looks prettier when he smiles. His real one. not his regular cocky one. Kai finally leaves Sehun alone, letting him warm up again. They both almost forgot Tao and Luhan were even there.

"God, you two are super cute," Luhan sighs, looping his arm in with Sehun. They both stop, letting Kai and Tao walk ahead and out of earshot. "Sehun, please be honest with me." When Sehun nods, he goes on. "Does...me dating Tao bother you? Be honest; I don't want to make you sad, like, ever and you know that," Luhan explains. Sehun watches his roommate carefully for a moment before smiling tightly. 

"Lu, you really like him, huh?"

"Honestly?" Luhan blushes. "He's so much more of a gentleman than Kris was! He doesn't always just talk about himself and he actually listens!" He stops and looks towards Tao, who is talking with Kai. Sehun almost laughs at how uninterested Kai looks. "Are you sure this doesn't bother you?"

Sehun shakes his head. "It really doesn't bother me. I really...want you to be happy." The last part is true, of course. Luhan is his friend and breaking up with Kris hurt him a lot more than he probably admits. Sehun stares at Luhan in confusion when he cups Sehun's cheeks and looks into his eyes.

"Sehuna, I'm so, SO happy that you found someone," Luhan gushes. "Finally someone to take you out of that dang shell of yours!"

"D-Don't be silly," Sehun blushes. "I don't have a shell."

"Oh, yes you do! You stay to yourself all the time and you're afraid to try new things!"

"Hey, you kids coming?!" Kai shouts, waving them over.

Luhan smiles. "If Kai tries to get you to do new things, embrace it. You might actually like it."

Sehun watches as Luhan runs up to Tao and grab onto his hand. He sighs and shakes his head. If only Luhan knew what Kai's idea of new things included.


Sehun loves romantic movies. He can't stand horror because of the gore. He doesn't like all of the action movies, for some odd reason. And he can't stand any movie that has a sad ending. He HATES sad endings. So regardless of watching his favorite genre, Sehun isn't enjoying himself at all. With Kai on his left and Luhan to his right, it's impossible to. From the corner of his eye, Sehun can see Tao's hand as it slowly rubs Luhan's thigh; soft giggles coming from the boy. Sehun sighs and tries to seem casual as he covers the left side of his vision. Tao whispers something to Luhan before standing up and heading out. And Sehun feels sick when Luhan follows, not even a minute later. He's not an idiot, he knows what that means. They used to do it all the time. 

Sehun knows he won't like what he sees or hear. But there's a sick curiosity inside of him. The same one that mutters to Kai that he has to use the restroom before finding his way through the dark, into the bright hallway. He begins to head towards the bathroom but he suddenly stops. He turns towards the janitor closet, knowingly. Tao and he used to sneak into them all the time after or during the movie. Pressing his ear to the closest door, Sehun listens carefully. His stomach drops when he hears the unmistakable sounds of his roommate, Luhan. Tao laughs now as well and Sehun can already tell what they're doing. He slowly begins to back away, unsure what to do. That's when he catches a glimpse of his reflection. What the hell is he doing? He's not like this. Sehun isn't a petty person who tries to break people up. Is that what he's trying to do? He doesn't even really know. But now he feels horrible when he remembers the happy look on Luhan's face. And all of a sudden, Sehun doesn't feel like he belongs. He doesn't belong in this movie theater, in this hall. Not even in this damn jacket.

Deidicig to leave them be, Sehun returns to the movie. When he's slow to return to his seat, Kai gives him a concerned glance. "You alright?"

 "Why wouldn't I be?" Sehun asks, keeping his eyes on the movie screen.

Kai leans over to get closer. "I noticed they...left," He whispers. "Sloppy make-out session in the closet? Shouldn't YOU be there? Not Luhan?"

Sehun swallows hard before he looks down at his hands. He feels utterly disgusted with himself. "Kai, can we leave?"

"What? I thought-"

"Neither of us wants to be here," Sehun says honestly. "You don't want to and I don't want to. So, let's just...leave them and get out of here."

Kai stares at Sehun for a moment, seeming to observe him carefully. "Sehun-"

Sehun takes his unfinished candy and drink before standing. "I'll pay you back for the snacks and tickets." 

"Hey, get out of the way, kid!" Someone behind them yells and Kai shoots up from his chair.

"Why don't you shut the up?!" Kai snaps after he stands. He scoffs, following Sehun down the aisle. "Goddamn idiot." Sehun tosses his drink before quickly walking out, not waiting for Kai to open any doors for him. "Sehun!" Kai says in disbelief as soon as he gets into the driver's seat, not bothering to start the car yet. "Dude, what the hell? We had a plan and ."

Sehun takes Kai's jacket off and tosses it into the back seat. He pulls rings and bracelets from his hands and wrist. "It was a dumb plan."

"No, it wasn't," Kai argues. "It was going pretty damn well."

"How?" Sehun gives Kai a pointed look. "How is THAT going well??

"Do you really think Tao got up and went with Luhan in mind? Huh? No, he went into THAT closet thinking you would take the hint and join him."

"There's no way for you to possibly know that."

"Uh, Tao was majorly eye-ing you, Sehun, I saw it myself."

Sehun stares out towards the cinema before shaking his head quickly. "No, I don't care."

"You don't care?!"

"No, I don't..." Sehun glances at his eyeliner in the mirror. "Kai, I'm not like this."

Kai shakes his head in confusion. "Not like what?"

"This!" Sehun motions to himself. "With all of this make-up, jewelry, leather in a movie theater trying to win back my ex-boyfriend!" He looks away from himself in shame. "I'm not a petty person who tries to break two people up; one of them being a close friend! I'm not the type of person to act or dress differently just to get attention!" He pauses for a moment, trying to catch his breath. "I'm comfortable in my own skin, okay? I'm not...I'm not going to put on someone else's; no matter how much others want me to; This..." He closes his eyes. "This ISN'T me."

Kai turns to look at the theater as well. He nods after a few minutes of silences. "Alright. It was worth a try, right?"

"No, it wasn't," Sehun leans his head against the car window. "It wasn't worth ANY of this. It'd be different if Luhan wasn't involved but..." He sighs. "I don't want anyone to get hurt."

"You realize that YOU'RE gonna get hurt, right?"

"That's fine," Sehun whispers. "As long as it's no one else."

Kai stares at him for a moment before finally starting the car, the hud lighting up in the night. "Come on, you selfless bastard. Let's...get sundaes or some dumb ." That makes Sehun smile and nod.

 

"Can I...change first?"

 

"Sure, I don't care."


"Okay," He sniffs. "Thank you."
----------------------------------------------

Sehun's mom didn't raise a petty .