Kai

My Last Hope

"I swear to god, I was so bored, I wanted to cry," Sehun complains, watching ad Kyungsoo sets him down a cup of tea. The day after his date, he had visited his friend's home in an attempt to let out some frustration. "Oh, you have a degree in calculus? Wow," Sehun mocks. "Please, tell me more about your fifty cars! All of which are named after ty '80s and '90's actors who no one even knows or is even relevant anymore!" His friend smiles at him patiently, probably waiting for his rant to end. "Okay, he only has four but who needs that many cars?"

"Junymeon has two cars," Kyungsoo comments. 

"Yeah but that's Junmyeon- one of those cars were given to him by one of the directors or whatever in his business. He's too nice to decline! This many told me the exact dates he went out an bought his cars; all of them!"

Kyungsoo raises a brow. "All of them?" He huffs. "That's impressive memory," He hums, getting up when the doorbell rings. He had called Baekhyun and Chanyeol earlier to get them to join.

"Yeah," Sehun rolls his eyes. "Oh, my mother hired me an expensive tutor when I was twelve- all the way from America. One of the best," Sehun mocks again.  "God. Not only was he boring and snobby, but he was not even a gentleman," He doesn't stop, even when his other two friends sit beside him on the leather couch. "Did I mention that he didn't even take my coat or even offer to pay?"

"He didn't even pay?" Baekhyun frowns. "What the hell!"

"He even asked me how much I make at the coffee shop. He looked so offended when I told him..." "Sehun slumps back into the couch and lets out a long, exasperated sigh. When his phone chimes, he weakly checks it. He wants to whine again when it's his mother.

Mother: I'm sorry it didn't work out, darling.

Mother: But I found another man for you to go on a date with! Meet him tonight?'

"Oh my god," Sehun falls to the side, landing his head in Chanyeol's lap. "You guys, I can't go on another date with any more of these guys. But If I don't, she will never stop."

"Never?" Chanyeol pats Sehun's head. 

Sehun pouts. "Never. I just...want to be left to my work. But I also want my parents to not worry...but I don't want a boyfriend."

"So many buts," Kyungsoo mumbles.

Baekhyun sighs and folds his legs. They all remain quiet for a few minutes as Chanyeol tries to calm Sehun down. Sehun really does want to make his parents happy, but at what price? Some people might not think it's so bad, but they've always been like this. Trying to control almost every aspect of his life. They even wanted him to move into a four bedroom apartment with three bathrooms and two balcony views. When he told them he doesn't get paid enough, they looked like they were going to have a heart attack.

"What if...you got a boyfriend?" Baekhyun suddenly asks. 

"Baek, I don't-"

"No, no, come on," he interrupts. "What about a fake one?"

Sehun turns his head to look at his petite friend. "Fake boyfriend?"

"You could just tell them you met someone," Baekhyun offers. "Then they'll get off your back. Who cares if he's real?"

"But they'll want to meet him, Baek," Sehun groans. "Like, right away."

"Tell them you're not ready," Kyungsoo says and Sehun shakes his head.

"They'll keep pressuring me and I with pressure."

Baekhyun purses his lips in thought before snapping his fingers. "What if...you pay someone to fake it?"

"Pay someone..." Sehun sits up. "To fake it?"

"Ohh, yeah!" Chanyeol nods excitedly. "You find someone to pay and pretend to be your boyfriend."

"A fake boyfriend..." Sehun looks at the glass coffee table in front of them and makes a low, humming noise. "Alright but...where would I find someone like that? Almost everyone I know, they know."

"But they don't know everyone I know, you know?" Baekhyun grins at Sehun's pointed look. He unfolds his legs and stands up, pulling Sehun up. He still wonders how the boy can be comfortable in those tight, leather pants. "I know JUST the guy. He's a regular at the club. He'll definitely be there at this time of day. Let's go talk to him."

"Are you talking about Jongin?" Chanyeol asks and Baekhyun nods.

"Yes, but he goes by Kai," he responds. After handing Sehun his jacket, he picks up his keys and opens the front door. "Come on."

"I barely even have enough money to pay rent and buy food," Sehun comments as he slides into the backseat of Baekhyun's car. "How am I going to pay this dude?"

"With your body," Baekhyun jokes. Or at least, Sehun hopes he is.

"I'll lend you the money," Kyungsoo offers. "I know you're uncomfortable with debt but it'll be fine; if it gets your parents off your back, I don't mind."

Sehun frowns at the thought of that. At Kyungsoo spending money on him. He's done it before, sure. Helped buy him some apartment warming gifts but this is different. He'd be in debt. Although he knows the guy would never make him pay again, it makes him uncomfortable. 


The club is already busy with people dancing and drinking. Strobe lights and loud music plays loud as people jump to it, grinding on each other like disgusting , sweaty , drunk aniamls.  "Up there!" Baekhyun yells, pointing to a balcony; Stairs lead up to the private area. "He usually drinks up there! You two stay here while Sehun and I go talk to him!"

Kyungsoo and Chanyeol both nod, making their way over to the bar. While Sehun is completely sure Kyungsoo ordered water or some sort of juice, Chanyeol probably got his usual fireball whiskey. Once at the top of the stairs, Baekhyun leads Sehun over to a booth seat with a man sat at it.  This guy is honestly the most gorgeous person Sehun has seen.  With tan skin that practically glows and a sharp, chiseled jaw. His eyes are dark and intense, watching them as he takes a drink. His dark hair is short and tousled. Wearing a loose white, button-up shirt, a couple buttons were undone to reveal his chest,  with black, leather pants and boots; Sehun gets the feeling that this guy must be a bit of a bad boy. Maybe a biker? One or two of the rings on his fingers clink against his shot glass as he sets it down.

Baekhyun looks at the man and nods to him. After motioning to a door on the side, he just nods and stands. The stranger opens the door for them and closes it once they're all inside. The room they step into has red wallpaper with black carpet. The only decorations are two black leather couches and one or two chairs. At the far right, there's a love-seat; all made of the same material as the couches. Sehun is a bit hesitant as he sits beside Baekhyun on one of them, the other man opposite of them.

"Baekhyun, my favorite bartender," he greets. "Not working today?"

"No," Baekhyun shrugs. "It's my day off. Kai, this is my friend Sehun." 

"Hello..." Sehun mumbles, feeling unusually shy. 

Kai slowly nods as he pulls out a cigarette. "You two mind?" When they both shake their head, he lights one up.  He inhales and exhales. "What's up? What can I do for you?"

Baekhyun folds his legs again and leans back in the couch. "You're single, right?"

"I sure am," Kai slowly nods his head. "Look, Baekhyun. You're an attractive guy but uh...pretty sure Chanyeol would pummel me to death."

Baekhyun rolls his eyes as he pours himself a drink. "Don't be an idiot- you know I'm loyal to Yeol." He offers Sehun a drink, shrugging when he shakes his head quietly. "I want to hire you. Well, not me, my friend here."

Kai finally really looks at Sehun. He looks him up and down, raising a brow. "I'm not a e."

"No," Sehun gasps, blushing as he shakes his hands. "N-nothing like that!"

"Sehun has a bit of a problem with his parents," Baekhyun starts to explain. "They basically are setting him up on dates that he doesn't even ask for. He's actually...TOLD them that he's not interested in dating and yet-"

"They keep pushin' him?" Kai finishes and Baekhyun nods. "Alright, so what do you want from me?"

Sehun runs his hand through his hair, looking at Baekhyun. "Uh..." When his friend nods again, he continues. "I need you to..pretend to be my boyfriend."

Kai stares at him for a moment, setting his drink down again. He swallows it and blinks rapidly. "Excuse me?

"I'll pay you," Sehun offers. "All you have to do is...pretend that you're dating me- pretend to be my boyfriend. You'd have to meet my parents, of course..."

Kai leans back and observes Sehun as if checking him out again. He taps an index finger on his knee before crossing his arms. "How much are you offering?"

"What sounds fair?"

"Are your parents rich?" Sehun nods slowly, unsure what that has to do with anything. "$250 a week," Kai says and Baekhyun scoffs.

"$250, Kai? How about only $50? It's not a big thing you're doing."

Kai shrugs and stands. He begins to slowly pace around, circling the couches. "Well...Sehun is a pretty handsome guy," he says. "So, I'll knock it down to $100." Kai stops behind Sehun, making him nervous. "But I'll have to take him on a date, right? If his parents are rich, they'll be expecting me to pay for him; even if this kid is loaded."

"I'm nowhere close to being rich," Sehun grumbles and Kai raises a brow at Baekhyun. 

"So, I'd be paying. Something tells me I'll have to pay," He repeats. "
up it to $200. I'll also probably have to take the kid on a date and you know how expensive those can be; especially adding on snacks."

"Maybe Sehun doesn't like movie snacks."

"Who doesn't like movie snacks?" Kai snorts. "Plus, how rude would it be NOT to buy your date movie snacks?" Kai leans over and pinches Sehun's cheek."Look at this face- don't you think he's worth $250 a week?" Baekhyun glares up at Kai as he pulls out his wallet. When the man extends his hand, Baekhyun slaps the money in his hands. "So, how long?"

"How long what?" Baekhyun huffs.

"How long will I be dating him?" Kai asks.

Baekhyun stands up and shrugs. "A year?"

"A year?!" Sehun stands up too, quickly. "I have to lie to my parents for a  whole year?"

"I have no arguments," Kai says with a shrug. "After a year,  we'll pretend to have a huge, messy breakup; you'll cry and sob, announce you'll never fall in love again. Your parents will feel so bad for your poor, broken little heart, they won't push you to date."

Baekhyun squints at the man suspiciously. "Sounds like someone had a messy break up in the past?"

Kai shrugs. "Hey, I told her it wouldn't end well. It's not my fault."

Sehun stares up at Kai for a moment. "Are you even into men?"

"Me? No. The one who dates you? Yeah, for sure."

Sehun stands and groans. "You chose a straight man, Baek? Really?"

Baekhyun shrugs. "He keeps calling me good looking, so I assumed he liked dudes!"

"What's wrong with compliments?" Kai asks. "I know when to admire an attractive person." After putting his cigarette out, he motions towards Sehun. "Well, come on. Time to get to know each other." Sehun looks at Baekhyun, who just wakes his hand, urging him to go. He slowly picks up his jacket, nervous all of a sudden. He leaves the comfort of his friend to follow Kai out of the room, down the stairs, and outside. 

"So, when do I have to meet them?" Kai asks. 

"I don't know," Sehun admits. "I...guess I have to break the news. Tell them I can't see the guy they set me up with." 

"Go on, then." Kai motions. "Tell them. He watches as Sehun pulls out his phone to dial his parents. He hesitates a moment before hitting the call button and putting the phone up to his ear. His mother answers almost immediately.

"Mom? Hello," Sehun greets, trying to not sound nervous. "

"Sehun! I'm glad you called, "She says. "I just got off the phone with that man I set you up with and-"

"We have to talk about that," Sehun interrupts. He glances at Kai, who winks; it causes him to blush and turn away. "I...have someone I want you to meet."