Envy

My Last Hope

"So, did you do what I said to?" Kai asks, suddenly appearing beside Sehun. He gasps and jumps, setting a hand on his own chest after dropping his mail. He looks around before bending down to pick it back up.

"Where did you even come from?" Sehun asks, dusting off any dirt that got on the white envelopes. Glancing through them briefly, he looks back up to Kai. "I already don't make a whole lot of money and you want me to take a day off?"

"You only have ONE day off, Sehun," Kai points out and follows him into the apartment building. "One day off won't kill ya."

"Why do you even care?" Sehun asks, calling for the elevator. He gets impatient, however, and decides to walks up the stairs instead. "Shouldn't...you want me to get MORE money? So I can keep paying you?"

Kai scoffs. "You're not even the one paying me, remember? And I have a lot of spare time lately."

"What do you do? Do you work?" Sehun asks, looking back at him. He stops and lets Kai catch up with him.

"Not really, to be honest," Kai admits and Sehun sighs. He should have figured a guy like him wouldn't have a job. Maybe that's why he likes money so much. "I go to college, actually." Sehun frowns and immediately feels really bad; he feels like a judgmental prick.

Sehun stops to look at him. "Really? What for?"

Kai shifts around uncomfortably, as if he were actually a bit embarrassed. "Well, if you gotta know..." he sighs. "I'm going for music."

Sehun fiddles with the mail for a moment before resuming the climb to his apartment. "Music? What...do you play?"

"Dancing," Kai mumbles and that intrigues Sehun. He can almost imagine Kai in a room, twirling and sweating from his work-out. He bites his lip a little, trying to push it from his imagination. "I like playing acoustic guitar in my spare time."

Sehun smiles when they reach the apartment door. "You'll have to play me something sometime," He says. His smile falters when he hears laughing and talking from inside. He recognizes one voice as Luhan. Once opening the door, he steps in and jealousy suddenly hits him like a semi truck. Tao and Luhan sit on the couch. Luhan laughs and gently smacks Tao's arm when he tells a joke. Sehun swallows hard as he slowly sets the mail down.

"Sehun, you're back!" Luhan looks over as soon as Kai closes the door. "Tao stopped by an hour ago, looking for you. "

"Really," Sehun's smile is tight as he tries to push the envy from his stomach. He clears his throat and motions to the mail on the counter. "I-It's a letter from your mom, in China."

"Oh, thanks but that can wait," Luhan hums. "Tao was just telling me about his time in America."

Tao smiles fondly at Sehun, gently patting the spot right beside him. "Come, join us."

"Um..." Sehun stares between the two, and then at how their knees are touching. 


"Actually, Sehun and I were about to go for lunch," Kai interrupts. 

"Sorry, Tao," Sehun says quickly before tossing his keys. He makes his way to his room, pulling his shoes and jacket off once inside. Kai is slow to follow. 

"Sehun," Kai watches as Sehun strips quickly. "Sehun, they're just talking. I don't think it's-"

"Kai, I've known both Luhan and Tao for a while now," Sehun cuts in. Normally, he'd be shy getting undressed in front of someone like Kai; but he doesn't care right now. He just feels so jealous and he doesn't know why. Tao isn't even his boyfriend. "This is how it started with Kris; just a quick stop by, some laughs, some stories, and jokes." He stops and stares at the white shirt in his hands. "I'm so dumb. I have no right to get jealous..."

Kai slowly leans against the door, watching him carefully. He stuffs his hands into his jacket pockets. "What if you make HIM jealous?"

Sehun pulls his shirt on before giving Kai a pointed look. "Making Tao jealous? And how am I going to do that?"

Kai smirks a little and it makes Sehun a tiny bit weak. He's straight, Sehun has to remember that. "We're pretending for your parents anyways, right?" He shrugs. "We can pretend for Tao too. With any luck, maybe the guy will try to win you back or something."

"Okay, but Luhan already knows you're not my boyfriend. He also knows you're straight," Sehun points out, pulling on another pair of pants. He shouldn't get shy in front of Kai, right? He's straight anyway.

"I'm a really good actor," Kai chuckles. "I'll make up a story about my parents being homophobes or something."

"Are they?" Kai just shrugs and Sehun sighs. "Luhan is my roommate a-and-"

"And he's hitting on your ex-boyfriend. Whether he's trying to be petty or not, it's doesn't matter; if you want Tao, you gotta work fast."

"How?" 

"Make him miss you," Kai offers. "When he's around, always wear whatever things make you look the most attractive; make him REMEMBER what being with you used to be like." Make Tao remember what being with Sehun used to be like. Sehun smiles a little at that. They used to have so much fun all the time. Tao made him feel alive.

"But what if they don't believe us?" Sehun asks and Kai purses his lips.

"I have an idea but I can't tell you," Kai announces. "It has to be genuine."

Sehun shakes his head before he pulls his shoes on and grabs his coat. "Are you actually wanting to go out for lunch, though?"

"Yep," Kai says as he opens the bedroom door, leading to the hall. "After this, you'll be pretty hungry too."

Sehun watches Kai disappear and hears him greet the two. He pulls on his shirt, glancing out. He isn't sure what Kai is up to but it makes him extremely nervous. With a quick look into the mirror, to make sure looks good, he makes his way towards the living room. Luhan looks over at Sehun with an odd expression. "What?" Sehun laughs weakly.

"Kai just told us about how the two of you lied," Tao answers for him. "About paying him to be your boyfriend?"

Sehun looks at Kai, who just nods. "Really? I'm surprised you're the one to tell them." When Kai raises a brow, Sehun walks to his side. "With your...parents."

"Ah, my parents," Kai chuckles.

"Your parents?" Luhan asks in confusion.

"My parents...well, they're homophobic," Kai easily answers. "I didn't want it getting around before I told them, you know?"

Tao leans back, his eyes suspicious. Sehun knew it'd never work; Tao is too smart for all of that. "Really."

Kai slowly grins and Sehun doesn't like it; it's the one that meant he's up to no good. He turns to Sehun and opens the front door. "Alright, babe," He says as he takes his keys and swings them; Sehun doesn't remember seeing his car. "I'll bring the car around and call you when I'm out front." Sehun opens his mouth to agree but he doesn't get the chance. Kai grabs the nape of his neck and pulls him in close. Before Sehun can react, their lips press together; Kai's lips are softer than he'd ever have imagined. His breath hitches in his throat as he grips onto Kai's shirt, his knees growing weak. Something inside of him flutters, like a certain electricity. Something he hasn't felt in a very long time. And when Kai pulls back, Sehun stares at him in awe, as if he were slightly dazed.

"See ya," Kai clicks his tongue and winks before shutting the door behind him and leaving Sehun there in shock. He slowly touches his lips, almost missing the warmth that had been there previously. 

"Oh my god," Luhan quickly stands and laughs. He grabs Sehun by the hands and squeezes. "You weren't lying! Sehun, why didn't you just tell me?!"

Sehun stares at the door, still mesmerized. "You know," He whispers before clearing his throat. "Kai's parents are...really strict."

"They'd love you," Tao says as he stands. "How could they not?" Any doubt had been erased from his face and voice, a look and sound of envy replacing it. Sehun should be glad. It worked after all. But the look on Tao's face and the feeling Kai had given him. That dumb feeling in the pit of his stomach. He can't feel like this. It's an act, after all, he didn't mean it. He's just pretending; like he said they'd have to. Sehun CAN'T feel like that.

"So, did it work?" Kai asks. He casually goes about eating as if nothing ever happened. Why would he? "Did Tao fall for it?" Sehun nods as he silently pushes his food around with his fork. "Alright, What's got you so upset?"

"It's just..." Sehun sighs. "I feel bad, lying to Tao like that."

"And you don't feel bad lying to your parents?"

"It's different," Sehun whispers. "Tao is..."

"What?" Kai snorts. "The love of your life?"

Sehun slumps back in his seat, pouting a little. He had thought so at one point. He figured they were bound to be together, even after Tao went back to China. He assumed they'd resume where they had left off when Tao returned. But things are different. Sehun might not be much different but his life is; everything around him is as well. And Luhan wouldn't do something petty like this. Sehun knows he wouldn't. Maybe he could talk to his roommate, without Tao around. Explain the situation, he'd understand, he always does.

A small buzzing gets Sehun's attention. He sighs and sits up, pulling his phone from his pocket. He opens the new text from Luhan.

Luhan: sehun now that youre dating kai...

Sehun takes a deep breath when reading the next text that comes.

Luhan: would it bug you if we went out for dinner? tao and i? he asked me to go with him but that wouldnt be weird would it?

Sehun swallows hard, glancing up at Kai. Distracted by chatting to the waitress, he looks back down to his phone. Luhan isn't petty, he just wants to be loved. Like Sehun does. But if he does this, does he really have a chance to get Tao back?

Luhan: i know kris and i just broke up but...

Sehun: It's okay! :) You totally have my blessing!

Luhan: thank you! i didnt want to step on your toes with tao you know? but if you have kai im not worried!

Sehun slips it back into his pocket and takes a deep breath. His stomach and chest tighten. He grips onto his own shirt so tightly, his knuckles turn white. He suddenly doesn't feel hungry anymore. He pushes his plate away, smiling tightly at the waitress. "I'm...sorry to cut in. B-but can I get a box for this?"

"Sure, honey," The young waitress says. She smiles shyly at Kai before turning away and heading back to the kitchen. Kai leans back in his chair and looks at Sehun. As if seeing the strange look on his face, he shrugs.

"Hey, I'm not actually gonna ask her out," Kai snorts. "I have my hands full with you already."

"I'm not that much of a hand full!" Sehun snaps, causing Kai to frown now. He doesn't know where his sudden irritation came from and why he's putting it out on him. "Everyone acts like I am b-but I'm really easy to please!"

"Okay," Kai says slowly. He glances at the phone that buzz in Sehun's pants. When Sehun doesn't check it, he seems to connect something. "Who texted you? Tao?"

"No," Sehun whispers.

"Luhan then? What'd he say?"

Sehun doesn't look at the waitress when she brings Sehun his box. Kai doesn't either as if he's suddenly lost all interest in her. "Tao asked him out for dinner."

Kai stares at Sehun for a moment before scoffing. "Wow, that's petty."

"What?"

"I mean, come on, Sehun," Kai grabs Sehun's plate, putting it into the box for him. "Tao was all over you until after he saw us kiss. He's asking Luhan out to make you jealous."

"T-Tao isn't like that," Sehun says that but he isn't actually a hundred percent convinced. His voice isn't confident either and Kai knows it. 

"So, Tao happens to suddenly want to date your roommate. Nothing to do with us? At all?"

"I..."

Kai motions, waving his hand a bit. "Go on, then. Give me a good explanation."

Sehun shifts around in his seat for a moment. "Alright," He coughs. "W-well, maybe-"

"Nope," Kai interrupts. "Not buying it."

"I didn't even say anything!"

"You don't have to. I can see it all over your face and it's all in your voice," Kai points out. "Neither of us believes it. So if you want Tao, you need to stop ing and just come up with a ing plan or something."

Sehun opens his mouth to argue but he slowly closes it a moment later. He sighs and rests his head against the cold glass of the window, staring out. "You're right..."

"Bet your cute little I'm right." Sehun glares at him and his weird compliment. "Now, get your damn phone out and text Luhan."

"Text him what?" Sehun grabs his phone like instructed, not really wanting to.

"Text him," Kai stops to think about it for a moment. "Say...you want to go on a double date; all four of us."

Sehun stares at Kai as if he were crazy. "Are you ing with me?"

"Wow, look at you! You finally cursed," Kai jokes. "But trust me," He stands up, taking his wallet out and setting money on the edge of the table. "When we're done with you, Tao's going to be practically begging for you back."

Sehun hesitates before he hits send, his anxiety shooting out of the damn building. He sighs, accepting when Kai helps him out of the booth. Something tells him that he's seriously going to regret this.
------------------------------