Sehun Hates Plans

My Last Hope

Just as before, Sehun can't seem to concentrate on the movie. It's another romance; which is his favorite kind. But he still can't focus. It isn't the bad kind, like with their double date. But it's the way his arm is rested next to Kai's on the theater armchair; it makes Sehun suddenly shy. They did this last time, but it feels different now.  He glances over at Kai once or twice, and he doesn't know why. He feels, as Luhan puts it, butterflies in his stomach when they sometimes touch hands on accident. He tries to focus on the movie again when Kai finally reaches over slowly and links their index fingers. Sehun looks away when the couple on-screen kiss. It reminds him of Kai and his two kisses. Fake kisses but it still made Sehun warm. He glances down at Kai's hand and the pink on his knuckles from when he punched Tao earlier. As if it wasn't hard enough to focus before, it's even more so when Kai finally intertwines their fingers together; filling the gaps between their hands.

Sehun tries to even out his breathing. He's held Kai's hand like this before, but now it's different. HE feels different. "You alright?"

Sehun smiles over at Kai and nods. "I'll be back," He whispers before getting up and leaving. He sighs once in the hall. He rubs his face and goes to the bathroom, using cold water to splash his face. He stares at himself in the mirror, wiping some spots off. What's even going on? He knows he can't feel this way and yet he does. But it's how Kai acts that confuses him. The way he punched Tao when he bad mouthed Sehun or even touched him. How Kai holds his hand so firmly but not roughly. Not to mention how he took him out and paid for it with his own money. "Ugh..." Sehun smacks the sink with his palm. "I'm so confused!" He stares at the white of the porcelain before pulling his phone out. He feels too bad to let this go on. Kai is too nice to him. He lets out a deep breath as he puts his phone up to his hear, waiting. As usual, Kyungsoo picks up a bit late.

"Hello, SEhun," Kyungsoo greets.

"Hey," Sehun sighs. He doesn't pay attention as one or two other boys come in to do their business. "Look, I...I need..."

"Yes?"

"I'm going...to end that payment stuff with Kai," Sehun finally says. "B-but I want to give him his last bit of money if that's alright."

Kyungsoo goes silent before speaking up moments later. "What are you talking about? Sehun, Kai told me he didn't want to get paid any more for a few weeks now."

Sehun raises his brows in surprise. "Um...what?"

"If I remember correctly, it's right after Chanyeol called him to comfort you. The next day, he came to my home, he looked pretty mad, and asked if he can stop receiving payment." Sehun his lip as he slowly turns and stares at the door. He smiles awkwardly when those boys earlier look at him. "Are you alright? Sehun?"

Sehun clears his throat, suddenly more confused than ever. Kai has taken him out for so many coffees and lunches since then. He even paid for this dumb movie and snacks. "I'm sorry I bothered you."

"Bother me?" Kyungsoo chuckles. "Come on, Sehun. I could be in the middle of organizing my home, and you still wouldn't be a bother."

"Thanks," Sehun tries not to sound upset. "I'll let you get back to it then." 

"Take care of yourself. Remember to eat properly."

"Thanks, dad," Sehun laughs before saying his goodbye and hanging up. He bites his lip and fiddles with his phone. A few weeks ago. He's stopped getting paid for a few weeks. Why?

"Sehun?" Sehun looks up, smiling when Kai enters the bathroom. "Hey, the movie ended."

"What?!" He looks at the time and groans. How long has he been away? "I'm sorry, Kai. I...got distracted."

Kai leans against the wall and raises a brow. "You've been distracted in here for thirty minutes? Doing what?"

"Thirty minutes?!"

"Well, your hearing works," Kai snorts as he motions for Sehun. When coming close enough, he hands him his drink and bag of candy. Neither of them even touched or opened. He sighs at them.

"I'm sorry, Kai..."

"What for?" Kai looks at him suspiciously. "You didn't like...call Tao to get back with him or something, did you?"

"No!" Sehun huffs, letting Kai follow him into the cold air. "I'm dumb, but I'm not THAT dumb."

"Okay, so what'd you do?"

Sehun sighs as they walk ."Nothing, just...you paid for the movie and I barely even paid attention." 

"What's got you distracted?"

Sehun shrugs as he fiddles with his bag of sour candies. "Everything. I just couldn't concentrate." They stop at a boardwalk, but Sehun doesn't remember when they even got there. He's been so distant lately; he doesn't know why. He sighs as he leans against the railing. "The only thing that isn't confusing in my life right now is my job."

"You'd rather be working right now?" Kai huffs and Sehun smiles.

"No, I like being with you," Sehun says but immediately regrets it. He groans and turns back to face the water. He can't believe the thing he says around him sometimes. It's like Kai tears his filters away. He doesn't even want to look at Kai, but he already knows he's wearing one of his grins. "Kai..." Sehun looks over at him. Instead of a cocky look, he has on one of his real smiles — the kind that really makes Sehun weak. 

"What's up?"

"I uhm..." Sehun sighs. "I talked to Kyungsoo."

"Shocker, he's your friend," Kai responds sarcastically. 

Sehun shakes his head. "No...I mean..." He sighs and stands up straight. "Why...why did you tell Kyungsoo to stop paying you?"

Kai stares at him for a moment before shrugging. "I don't know. It felt wrong to keep that up."

"Why?"

"I..." Kai sighs. And for once, he doesn't seem to have an immediate answer. "I mean, why not? Shouldn't you be glad I'm not taking your friend's money?"

Sehun frowns. "Of course, But I...I want to know why. I...also know why you want to know why you punched Tao."

"Because I hate the guy and he pisses me off," Kai retorts. "The guy thinks he can have anything he wants, including you." Sehun smiles again. He doesn't know why but he loves Kai's protective nature. It's not like he likes seeing people get hurt, but it felt good. "I didn't care that he talked about me," He explains. "But I don't get why he'd act like that if he wanted to get back with you. You don't say that ing to someone you supposedly love."

"I don't..." Sehun hesitates. "I don't think he ever loved me. Or maybe he did love me, but he changed," He pauses. "Or I changed. Maybe I didn't see the type of person he was back then."

"Love does crazy to you," Kai agrees. "Sometimes it makes you...realize stuff about yourself." 

"Like...what?" Sehun looks at him in surprise. "You've been in love?"

Kai shrugs again. "Not really. So, I don't... know what it's like, but I've seen Taemin in love; as well as Baekhyun and Chanyeol," He huffs. "Those two are retarded for each other."

"They are..." Sehun looks away from Kai. "I thought Tao and I had that, but I guess...I don't know-"

"You didn't realize he was a possessive jackass?"

"Possessive? He's possessive?"

Kai stares at Sehun oddly, as if wondering if he was kidding. "Sehun, are you kidding me?"

"What?"

"Did you see the way he looked every time he saw us touch?" Kai scoffs. "He looked like he wanted to hit someone; I kind of thought he'd hit ME, to be honest."

"He wouldn't have hit him; he knows I'd get mad," Sehun sighs. "Well, he might try hitting you now."

"Wow, I love the reassurance."

Sehun looks down at the water, watching his reflection. "I doubt he'll keep trying now, though." He smiles when Kai stands closer. 

"That's...good, right?"

"I think so..." Sehun says that but he feels almost disappointed. Maybe not disappointed that Tao isn't trying, but he wanted everything to be different. It would have been fine if he had just sat down and talked with Tao, right? He jumps a little when he feels Kai grab his hand again. He glances over at him, confused. Kai stares at him, opening his mouth as if he wants to say something. But he looks away and shuts it. Sehun looks back down. "I think...I'm going to tell my parents the truth."

"Yeah?"

Sehun looks back ahead. "Kai," He whispers. When Kai hums in response, he tries to go on. "W-When I tell them...are we not going to see each other anymore?" There's a brief silence before Kai squeezes Sehun's hand firmly. But not in a way that it hurts. 

"Don't be ridiculous," Kai replies, acting as if it's the stupidest question he's ever heard. "We're friends, right?"

Closing his eyes, Sehun slowly nods. "Yeah...we are. Let's go back, alright?"

Watching as Kyungsoo cleans, Sehun lazily lays on his friend's couch. He's unsure why he's so down today; He's usually always happy when he hangs out with Kai, but he feels so confused, so he made different plans. He groans when Kyungsoo lifts his legs to vacuum under them. 

"Sehun, you know I love your company and all," Kyungsoo says. "But why aren't you with Kai?'

"Because I wanna hang out with you," Sehun grumbles. Kyungsoo stares at him for a moment before setting the vacuum down and taking off his gloves. He sits down, forcing Sehun's head up and onto his lap.

"Alright, talk," Kyungsoo instructs. "Something is bothering you."

Sehun sighs and turns onto his back, looking up at the ceiling. "It's Kai."

"Obviously."

"I don't GET him. He says he's straight and all that but then he does...dumb things like punch Tao."

Kyungsoo raises a brow. "He punched Tao?"

"Yes! Yesterday, before we went to the movies. But during the movie, I couldn't concentrate! Our hands kept almost touching a-and..." He sighs. "And then we held hands, for some reason...I'm just so confused, Kyungsoo. He didn't even tell me that you weren't paying him anymore."

"Really? He told me you knew."

"He also lied to me about when we went shopping like an hour away," Sehun rants. "He told me you gave him the money to spend on me, but then I got that text from you and..."

"I...see."

"And then after the club incident, He held me while I cried like a baby...I also went to his house, and we literally talked ALL night."

Kyungsoo hums as he leans back, seeming delighted. "You two had the talk."

Sehun looks at him oddly. "Yes, THE talk, as Luhan keeps reminding me. Kyungsoo, I don't know what to do! I feel all dumb and happy with him; all warm and..."

"So, you like him," Kyungsoo says, sighing when Sehun loudly groans. "Sehun, it's really simple. You need to sit him down and say what's on your mind. I know it's hard, but you're an adult. You need to deal with your problems like one instead of crying about it."

Sehun glares up at Kyungsoo. "I hate you right now."

"Because I make sense?"

"Yes..."

Kyungsoo laughs and brushes the hair from Sehun's eyes. "Build your confidence and then talk to him. Perhaps bring him somewhere you feel safe, where you won't run into anyone you know." He knows his friend has a point, but it still . He closes his eyes, enjoying the feeling of Kyungsoo's fingertips running up his cheek gently. Everyone close to him knows this relaxes him. Sehun wonders where they could talk. What if they drive an hour away only to have to drive back in awkward silence. The club could be a nice place. In that room, Kai always seemed to visit. Chanyeol or Baekhyun can make sure no one bothers them. And if he ends up crying, he'll be close to friends. It's sad that he needs to plan for that, but it's better safe than sorry.  He opens his eyes again and looks up at Kyungsoo.

"Thanks," He smiles. "It's hard, but you're right."

Kyungsoo hums as he gives Sehun's forehead another brush. He gently gets back up, putting his gloves back on. "If he breaks your heart, I am going to damage his motorcycle and him. All that money I gave him will go to his bike and hospital bills." Sehun shakes his head, but he smiles anyway. Oh, because he already knows Kyungsoo isn't joking. If it's a threat from him, he means it. "From the look on your face, you already know where?"

"Is the club a dumb idea?"

"It's better than your home or the cafe," Kyungsoo replies. "I assume you're talking about one of the VIP rooms?" When Sehun nods, he hums again. "I see. That's a good idea, considering Chanyeol and Baekhyun will be close." Sehun pulls his phone out, not bothering to sit up as he texts. "Call him instead, it's more personal that way."

Sehun glares at his friend. "Why? Why are you trying to torture me?" Kyungsoo smiles at him before leaving the room, as if to give him privacy. He sighs and sits up as he looks for Kai's contact. He shuts his eyes tight briefly as the phone rings. He gets even more nervous when it picks up.

"Yeah?" Kai answers and Sehun frowns.

"That's how you answer your phone?"

"Oh, Sehun," Kai's voice becomes less harsh. Sehun smiles when the only thing he can hear in the back is Taemin. "I'm surprised you called. Glad but surprised. I thought you said you needed a day to yourself?"

"Yeah, uh..." Sehun glances up as Baekhyun and Chanyeol head through the door. "I-I just called to- oh, I mean...how are you?"

Kai laughs. "I'm good, I guess. You feeling alright, soft spot?"

Sehun blushes at the nickname he's grown to like so much. He rolls his eyes when Chanyeol helps himself to something in the fridge. "I'm...not any better if that's what you mean. I'm still all confused."

"I'd say. YOU called ME for once."

"Should...I not have?" Sehun asks slowly.

"What? no, no!" Kai quickly says. "No, I'm glad you did."

Sehun bites his lip a little before glaring at Baekhyun as he wiggles his eyebrows. "Look, you're going to think this is weird and... I mean it is, considering what happened last time..." A comfortable place. That's not very comforting to him, but it's something. "I'll go out and say it; w-we should go to the club. Just us, I mean."

"Just...us," Kai repeats. "Are you asking me out, Sehun? For once?"

"Come on, don't ruin it! Just say yes or no!"

"Well, that's not romantic," Kai complains with a false sadness. "But sure. Any excuse to get you to my favorite place." He isn't sure why but that last part makes Sehun blush a little. "Can't go tonight though, softy. Taemin and I gotta get up early. I'll pick you up tomorrow, alright?"

Sehun stands up and begins to pace. He feels like a dumb kid as he feels his stomach flutter. A high school boy waiting for his date all over again. He stops at the window and sighs. But it's not a date. "A-alright."

"God, I love it when you get all shy,," Kai comments and Sehun gasps.

"I'm not shy!'

"I'll see you tomorrow, Sehun," Kai says before hanging up. 

Sehun stares at his phone and scowls. He turns to look at Baekhyun. "I'm not that shy, right?" Baekhyun glances at Chanyeol, who nods quickly.

"You're the shyest person we know. But it's cute, really," Chanyeol says. "You do this adorable thing where you mess with your shirt and look at your feet."

"It's endearing, really," Kyungsoo puts in as he enters the room again. 

"Baekhyun, you don't think I'm like that, right?"

"Hmm?" Baekhyun looks up. "Oh, sorry- I was thinking of how to dress you for when you go to the club."

"You're not dressing me."

"Only from your wardrobe, promise!"

Sehun glares at his friend for a moment before giving up due to Baekhyun's intense grin. "Fine..."
-----------------------------------