Old Flames

My Last Hope

"If we really want to make this work, we need to get Luhan in on it too," Sehun explains as he leads Kai up the stairs heading to his apartment. "He texted me that he's back early, which is weird. But it's a perfect time to meet him!"

Kai raises a brow, watching Sehun fish out his keys. "And why is the roommate important?"

"You heard my mom, Kai," he points out. "Luhan LOVES gossip. And he knows everything that goes on in my life. If my mom talks to him about a boyfriend, he's going to call it out as a lie."

"You two share a strange friendship."

"Actually," Sehun pauses as he unlocks the door."I think it's mostly Luhan being bored." As soon as the door is open, Sehun takes a step in. He frowns, slowly setting his keys on the kitchen counter. Luhan has his back to them on the couch, his knees pulled up to his chest as his shoulders shake. He glances briefly at Kai before making his way over to his roommate. "Lu?"

Luhan sniffs and looks at him. His usual eyeliner is gone, his hair messy, and he's in his pajamas still; a very strange look for him. He ALWAYS gets dressed, even if he didn't go anywhere that day. So to see his usually fashionable and bubbly roommate in disarray makes him suddenly worry. Taking a quick seat beside his friend, he motions towards Kai. After giving him a weird look, he points to the fridge. "Wine," He mouths. Sehun nods when Kai pulls out a bottle and shows it to him. 

"Luhan, what happened?" Sehun finally asks. When Kai sets the alcohol down, his roommate doesn't hesitate to grab the bottle and down a good majority of it. Kai blinks and raises his brows in surprise. "Why are you not in China?"

Luhan takes a tissue from the nearby box and blows his nose. "I-I went to China..."

"Yeah, two or three days ago," Sehun says slowly.

"Kris he uh..." Luhan says through bawls. "I went to China, and e-everything was fine but um..." Sehun grabs him some more tissues. "He said he had...he had big news. God, I thought he was...was going..."

"Propose," Sehun finishes with a sigh. "What...what happened?"

"Oh, he announced an engagement," Luhan laughs dryly between sobs. "But not with me!"

Sehun watches him take another gulp of wine. "What do you mean? Who did he propose to?"

"Some...some !" Luhan spits out, catching his breath after setting the bottle back down. "I don't...know her...n-name. Kris said he was seeing her..." His roommate grabs a nearby pillow and begins to tear at it. It's one Kris at given him a few months prior. "I'm so stupid!" Luhan blubbers. Kai casually takes a pocket knife from his jacket, handing it to Luhan. The Chinese boy grabs it and begins cutting into the fabric harshly. "F-ing! Prick!"

Sehun reaches over and gently rubs his roommate's knee. He doesn't know what to say. He's seen the two of them together and they seemed happy. Kris always seemed to really adore Luhan; showering him with so many gifts. Luhan tries to wipe his tears away after finally setting the knife down on the coffee table. He tosses the ruined pillow to the side as if looking at it made him sick. It makes Sehun sick to look at it too. He takes a deep breath as soon as his lip stops quivering and looks up at Kai. "Who...who is this?" He finally asks.

"Oh god," Sehun sighs, standing up. "This...uhh..."

"Sehun!" Luhan sniffs. "Did you finally meet someone?" His roommate looks at him with his big, puffy red eyes.

"Yes," Sehun lies with a smile. He figures his roommate could use some good news. Especially with his breakup. He wasn't going to lie originally, but he can't help it now. He'll tell Luhan the truth when he feels better. 

"Oh, Hun!" Luhan stands up. "That's, that's great!" He says and by the tone of his voice, he really does seem happy. "Did your parents..." He looks at Kai and then his clothing. "No...nevermind. Your parents wouldn't know someone like this. One of Baekhyun's friends?" Sehun watches Luhan take another gulp before setting the alcohol back in the fridge; probably saving it for later. He makes a mental note to go to the store for ice cream. Chocolate, Luhan's favorite. 

"We met at the club," Kai says and it's pretty much the truth. It makes Luhan laugh though.

"Sehun? At a club?" He snorts. "That's funny. What, did you get lost?"

Sehun crosses his arms and blushes. "No! I-I was visiting Baekhyun!"

"Baekhyun introduced us," Kai shrugs. Sehun feels horrible lying to Luhan because they're so close. But maybe his roommate needs this. But what if when he finds out the truth, Luhan hates him? Sehun suddenly frowns, a sinking feeling in his gut. When Kai laughs and pats Sehun's back, he breaks. Very easily, yes, but he can't handle it. He can lie to his parents but not Luhan.

"Okay, I lied," Sehun quickly says, taking a seat on the couch.

Kai rolls his eyes. "Oh, for 's sake."

"Lied about what?" Luhan raises a brow.

"Kai isn't...my boyfriend," Sehun mumbles and his roommate looks confused.

"I thought you weren't gonna tell him?" Kai asks and Sehun groans.

"I know but-but I can't lie to Luhan!" Sehun whines. "He's so nice to me!"

Luhan looks between the two oddly. "What's going on?"

"Okay," Sehun takes a deep breath. He can't believe he broke down so easily. "You know how my parents are trying to set me up and stuff?" Luhan nods. "They...they WON'T stop, Lu. Even though I've told them I don't want to date; they keep calling and texting me about dates they set me up and I'm too nice to say no!"

"That's true," Luhan sighs as he sits beside Sehun. "Sehun is too nice for his own good..."

"I really couldn't say no! So-so...So, Baekhyun came up with a plan for me to pay some dude to pretend to date me so my parents would leave me alone!"

"What?!" Luhan looks at Kai. "You're paying him? To pretend to be your boyfriend?" 

"Yep," Kai shrugs, crossing his arms. "God, you're too much of a goody-two-shoes. I really can't believe you broke so easily."

"That's true," Luhan agrees, causing Sehun to frown. "How long are you two pretending?"

"A year," Sehun mumbles.

"A year?!" Luhan gasps. He looks at Kai oddly. "Does that mean he's single?"

Sehun widens his eyes at Luhan. "Lu! Stop hitting on my fake boyfriend!"

Luhan giggles as he leans back and brings his knees back up to his chest. "I'm just kidding, Sehuna. I just broke up with Kris anyway, so It's too soon."

"I'm straight anyway," Kai snorts.

"Oh my god, and he's straight? Really?" Luhan rolls his eyes. "This might be the dumbest thing you've done."

"But it worked! My parents LOVE him! T-they invited us to dinner..."

"At their place?"

Sehun looks sheepish. "Yes?"

Luhan rubs his face, hiding in his hands. His groans are muffled. "Sehuuuun, You are so dumb."

"I know!" Sehun cries a little. 

Kai leans against a wall and snorts. ", you cry easily. It's if you got hit with a breeze of wind, you'd just break down in tears."

Sehun looks at Kai in annoyance. "That's...that's not true!"

"Well..." Luhan lets out a long sigh. "Your secret is safe with me."

Sehun smiles. "Thank you-"

"For a price," Luhan cuts in, a mischievous grin on his face. And Sehun suddenly regrets telling him.

"This?" Sehun stares at himself in the mirror. Luhan had dragged him to the store. And for some reason, Kai had followed them. He sits nearby with his arms crossed and watches them. "This is your price? Letting you dress me up?"

"You bet," Luhan hums. "Not only have I've been dreaming of doing this for like, ever. But it'll make me feel better..."

Sehun stares at Luhan's sad, defeated face through the mirror before sighing. "Alright, Okay...J-just this once."

His roommate claps before grabbing another shirt and hovering it over Sehun' torso. "Doesn't he look cute, Kai?"

Kai leans back against the wall, resting his ankle on his knee. "Not bad. I think he should wear more black, though."

"No," Sehun pouts. "I like what I wear!"

Luhan purses his lips as he grabs a loose sweater. "Trust me, Kai, if I can't get him to wear more black than he already has; no one can."

"That bad, huh?"

"So when did you guys meet for real?" Luhan asks. 

"A few days ago, I guess. I've seen him once or twice when he's come to get Baekhyun but...I always thought he didn't seem to fit in."

Sehun grabs the sweater from his roommate before running off to the dressing room. He peels off his shirt, mumbling under his breath. He doesn't need to change his fashion. Because he dresses how he likes and what makes him comfortable. As much as he loves Luhan, he's not going to change it for him or anyone. He says he'll find love easier if he gets a little more dolled up. But if someone can't accept him like this, maybe it's best not to date anyone at all. This is who Sehun is and that's final. When he steps out and looks at himself in the mirror, he smiles. Luhan had chosen a light, a grey sweater that was probably one of the most comfortable things he's worn. Luhan knows he doesn't want to change and accepts that. 

"It looks good on you," A familiar voice from nearby says. "Everything does." Sehun jumps a little and looks through the mirror. He gasps and spins around.

"Tao!" Sehun gasps, grinning widely. He doesn't hesitate to wrap his arms tightly around the man's neck in a hug. His old punkish fashion is still a little there but it's replaced with a certain maturity. His short, red hair is now dyed black and his make-up is a lot less extreme. Either way, he still looks as amazing as before. "Tao, w-what are you doing here?!"

Tao pulls back and smiles as well. "I'm here for college, of course." Sehun hums as he turns back to the mirror, feeling more confident. If his ex-boyfriend thinks he looks good, he does. "The last I heard, you didn't want to go to college, right?"

Sehun shakes his head. "Nope," He gently tries to smooth the fabric of his pants out. "I'm working on my career." Tao and Sehun used to date back in the day; for all years of high school. 

"I see you still paint," Tao chuckles, gently reaching over to tap Sehun's stained hands. Sehun blushes and nods shyly. "Are you here with anyone, Sehuna?"

"Oh! I'm here with my roommate and friend," Sehun looks around quickly, waving both Luhan and Kai over. When approaching, Tao puts his hands on his hips.

"Um, this is my roommate, Luhan," Sehun introduces. "And this is my..." Sehun looks at Kai for a moment, biting his lip. He quickly returns his smile and looks at his ex. "Kai is a new friend." Tao would know if he were lying; he knows Sehun way too well for that. Just like with Luhan, he feels too weird about lying. 

Kai looks Tao up and down as if sizing him up.

"You guys, this is Tao!" Sehun grabs onto Tao's arm and Luhan gasps.

"Your ex-boyfriend, Tao!?"

"Ex-boyfriend?" Kai asks, furrowing his brows.

"Come," Tao motions to the dressing room as if getting Sehun to change back. "I'll buy all of you lunch and we'll catch up."

Sehun bashfully nods, quickly getting changed back into his own clothing. he's never going to say no to a free meal. Especially when he knows full well Tao can easily afford it. When he exits, he excitedly accepts when Tao offers his arm again. Kai glances at them with a strange look before shoving his hands in his pockets and slowly follows them. Sehun isn't quite sure what that look was but he could have sworn there was a hint of jealousy. Deciding that's absolutely ridiculous, considering the man is straight and not his real boyfriend, he turns his attention back to his old flame; excited to hear about all of his China adventures. He always loves those stories.