Secrets Part 2

My Last Hope

The past week has been absolutely agonizing for Sehun. With no word from Kai, he feels terrible. He wants to die in a hole or something. But he pushes himself forward. Goes to work every day, act like everything's fine. When Minseok thanks him for introducing him to Luhan, he smiles and nods; even when his boss tells him about how they're going to go to dinner and then he's going to teach Luhan how to make latte art. Sehun tells Minseok he's glad they like each other before he goes on his day. Sehun is glad Luhan and Minseok like each other, and he's seen it. Sometimes his roommate would come in to say hello to him, and he can see the spark in their eyes. How quickly they get along and how natural everything seems.

"Goodnight, Minseok," Sehun calls out. "Have fun with Luhan tonight."

"Oh, thank you!" His boss replies happily. By the candles Sehun saw in the back office, he knows it's not just latte art they have in mind. Luhan and his damn candles. Sehun smiles and shakes his head. He stops for a moment and sighs once outside. Even though it's the start of his weekend, he feels tired, and honestly, like . He gives Luhan a knowing look as he quickly rushes in. 

"Good luck," Sehun laughs as he holds the door open. It must be nice owning a coffee shop and being able to use it whenever desired. He rolls his eyes when Luhan wiggles his eyebrows. He checks his phone as he makes his way through the cold night, towards his apartment.

Baekhyun: let's go out tonight!

Sehun: No, thanks. I'm tired enough as it is. :)

Baekhyun: but it's the weekend!

Sehun: Which means I get to sleep in.

Sehun smiles again before he pockets his phone and wraps his scarf tighter around himself. 

It's dark when he enters the apartment. Dark and unusually quiet. It's normal enough lately, but he's always used to hear Luhan whenever gets home; used to being greeted. It's not that he minds, though. His roommate's happiness is more important. He sighs as he sets his coat on his dresser, not bothering to hang it up. A bit of a bad habit he's started thanks to Kai's influence. He frowns when he thinks about him. But he can't keep checking for messages. If it won't happen, it just won't.

Sehun wakes up to a lot of different and strange texts. And he's still groggy when he checks his phone. He squints at the screen as he walks out of his room, down the hall; still in his pajamas.

Luhan: will not be home tonight ;)

Sehun shakes his head and keeps reading. There's a lot of very drunk texts from both Baekhyun and Chanyeol collectively. Both were whining and wishing Sehun went out. One or two very sober texts from Kyungsoo wishing him well before probably going to sleep himself. Like Sehun, Kyungsoo isn't a huge drinker. He might drink at a birthday or some other celebration. 

"You don't usually sleep in."

Sehun screams and almost drops his phone. He quickly spins, staring at Kai with wide-eyes. He puts his hand over his heart and whines a little. "For 's sake, Kai," He laughs shakily. "You KNOW you can't sneak up on me like that."

"Sorry," Kai mutters as he stands, setting a magazine to the side. Sehun frowns at how tired he looks.  "I'm surprised you slept so late."

Sehun shrugs before he grabs a bottle of water, suddenly very thirsty. "I don't have anywhere else to be today," He says as he heads back to his room. He slowly sets the bottle down on his dresser and looks at Kai. "Kai, I..." He sighs. "I'm really sorry about...last week. I shouldn't have said-"

"No, it's fine," Kai quickly cuts in. "I don't think you said anything wrong."

"Really?" Sehun huffs as he changes. "I didn't get that message." Taking out the painting of Minseok he was working on, as a gift, he sets it out on the easel before getting any supplies he needs. Kai watches him as he sets up; not saying anything even as Sehun sits to start. He doesn't want to be mad at Kai, not ever. But he can't help but feel that way. Even after Kyungsoo and the others said to give him time to think. He doesn't feel nervous when Kai slowly walks up, standing behind him and watches as he paints. He's watched him plenty of times before.

"Sehun" Kai whispers, and it makes Sehun shiver a little. "I don't..." He lets out a frustrated sigh. "I have a hard time..."

"Expressing yourself," Sehun finishes. "I know...I'm sorry. I...I want to forget what happened, please."

"And what?" Kai sighs. "Go back to normal?"

"Yes," Sehun says as he looks back at Kai. "I already told my parents that we're not dating, so why can't we? It's not like you have to pretend anymore."

Kai frowns. "What?"

Sehun starts to focus on his work again. "Everyone knows we're not dating, so you don't have to...you know, pretend. Like holding my hand and stuff." There's an uncomfortable silence after that. Or at least Sehun feels awkward; Kai never seems to. 

"I don't hold..." Kai seems to struggle a little. "I don't hold your stupid hand because..." he sighs and Sehun bites his lip a little, finding his struggling kind of cute. "I don't HOLD your dumb hand because I'm...pretending."

"What?" Sehun stops once again and looks back. "What're you..." He trails off when he sees the strange look in Kai's eyes. He's unsure what it is, but it looks familiar. Just when Baekhyun looks at Chanyeol and vise versa. But he doesn't think anyone's ever looked at him like that — not even Tao.

"I..." Kai rubs the back of his neck. "Your friends told me you like...goddamnit, Sehun!"

"What!?"

"I'm not good with this !" Kai complains. "I'm not...good at..." He suddenly stops as if he realized something. He stares down at Sehun, that look in his eyes returning now. He looks like he wants to say something but stops himself. Sehun watches as Kai leans down, setting a hand on cheek gently and carefully; as if he were to break him if he went any harder. When Sehun goes to say something, Kai shakes his head and fills in the gaps. This kiss isn't like the last two. It's soft and warm, yes, but it doesn't feel fake — not this time. It feels scared and almost hesitant. Kai's hands begin to falter, but Sehun quickly grabs onto his shirt, desperate to keep him close. He can feel Kai become more confident as if Sehun erase his doubts. When Kai's hands move to the nape of Sehun's neck, he lets his brush falls from his hand, only focused on the man in front of him now.  When Kai finally pulls back, Sehun wants to say something, but words can't seem to form. He swallows hard, gripping his shirt tighter. Kai looks confused as well, but by the look on his face, he's not going anywhere; not like last week. When he stands, Kai is gentle when he pulls Sehun up with him.

"We should talk," Kai says with a sigh, as if not looking forward to it. Sehun knows it's not personal. The guy is just lousy with his feelings.

"You...don't have to say anything."

Kai raises a brow and crosses his arms. "What if I came here to break your heart?"

"Is that why you kissed me?" Sehun asks as he sets his paintbrush back up. "I'm getting mixed signals."

"Sehun-"

"Kai, I know you're bad with words," Sehun interrupts and heads back into his room. "You don't have to, really."

"But I should."

"Why?" Sehun sets his painting against the wall to let it dry. He turns to look at Kai oddly. He watches as the man awkwardly fixes his jacket. 

Kai slowly sits on Sehun's bed. "I should apologize for last week," he replies quietly. Sehun shakes his head again.

"I confused you. I didn't...expect anything, really."

There's more silence as they stare at each other. "Did you," Kai speaks up. "Did you really tell your parents?"

Sehun takes a seat beside Kai, keeping his eye on Minseok's portrait. "I did."

"And?"

Taking a deep breath, he shrugs his shoulders. "It went a lot better than I thought it would," He admits. "I guess they feel bad that their meddling drove me to...hire you and then stupidly fall for you."

Kai nods again. "They agreed to stop setting you up?"

"Yeah," Sehun sighs. "It ...I wish they would have just listened, to begin with." He stares down at the floor for a moment before finally peering over at Kai. "Was...falling for you a mistake?"

After pulling off his jacket and setting it to the side, he scoots closer, so that their knees touch. "Probably but only because I'm a bad influence."

Sehun looks at him in surprise. "But I thought you said you're straight?"

Kai sighs as he lays back on Sehun's bed. "I thought so too. And then your came along," He scoffs. "I haven't...been attracted to a man before. Sure, I've complimented Baekhyun and Taemin but I..." he shakes his head again. "Not like this, though." Sehun watches him for a moment before hesitantly laying down beside him. When Kai offers his arm, Sehun shyly accepts and lays his head on his chest. 

"When did you...realize?"

"Realize what?"

Sehun looks up at him, resting his chin on Kai's torso. "That you weren't...as straight as you thought?"

Kai sits there in silence for a moment, seeming to think about it for a moment. "I think I started doubting myself...after our second kiss."

Sehun raises his brows. "Before the club?" He asks, and Kai nods.

"The first kiss didn't bug me or anything. But there was something in that second one," He grins tiredly. "I guess I thought a lot the past week and maybe realized I shouldn't have left you in that room. My own damn pride stopped me from talking to you."

"Your pride?" Sehun questions. 

"Yeah," Kai's breathing is a little shaky. "I hated the idea that I might not know myself as well as I originally thought," Sehun observes Kai for a moment before sitting back up.

 "You should probably sleep, Kai."

"What? How come?" Kai scowls but lets Sehun pull him up.

"Because," Sehun says as he goes over to close the curtains. "You look like you've barely slept since I last saw you. And maybe now that you're not...bothered anymore, you can sleep better."

Kai crosses his arms, watching as Sehun shuts the door. "How do you know? Maybe I'm still bothered."

"Then I'm all ears," Sehun replies as he strips. "IS there something still bothering you?"

Kai stares at Sehun for a moment before letting out a sigh and grabbing his jacket from the bed. He sets it on the dresser, along with Sehun's own. He frowns all of a sudden. "Why is your room such a mess?"

"What are you talking about?" Sehun asks, also looking around as he puts on sweatpants. "I just have some of my shoes scattered around...and my jacket isn't hanging up."

"Exactly, you NEVER have a mess in your room," Kai points out as he finally takes his pants off. Sehun blushes this time. He hadn't exactly seen much of Kai's body yet. As if on cue, Kai pulls his shirt off, revealing perfect abs. He quickly looks away, feeling warmth in his face. "Why...are you looking away?"

"Nothing," Sehun mumbles shyly before going to his bed and getting under it.

"And why are YOU sleeping? You just woke up."

Much to Sehun's dismay, Kai joins him, shirtless. He turns his back towards him and mumbles.

"I'm still tired..." Sehun closes his eyes and tries to breathe normally when he feels Kai's chest against his back now, and his arms wrapping around his waist. 

"Or do you just wanna be close?" Kai whispers.

Sehun sulks a little at how easily Kai makes him weak. He brings his knees up and tries to calm his heart. "J-just shut up and sleep."

Kai laughs in his ear, pulling him closer. "Fine have it your way."

--------------------------------------------