Do You Know My Heart

The Beautiful Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

For Dara, there was always so much to do yet so little time, that she was ever grateful for Jiwon taking on the coaching tasks while she focused on other team management concerns. She had been keeping some things from her uncle and Master Hwang so that they would not worry, but for some time now the school board was getting increasingly difficult to work with. It took her a lot of negotiating and networking to put together the resources the team needed for the season, and just when she thought she could catch a break, she heard about plans of devolving the school's sports program. As burdensome as it was to learn about such plans, she decided to keep it to herself first as nothing has been made official yet.


 

The team had been performing well, building chemistry, adjusting to each other and to Jiwon's system. Or so Dara thought. But the team started struggling after sweeping the first round, with the last three games ending unfavorably. After their first loss, Jiwon managed to be chill enough, gently reprimanding the boys over their lapses. Completely aware of Jiwon's temper, Dara understood when he could not hold his sharp tongue after the second loss. To say that Jiwon was upset about the third one was an understatement. Dara could tell by the look in his eyes and the way he was flexing his fingers while talking.


 

“Are we going to continue like this? Letting all our previous efforts go down the drain? If that's the case, should we just forfeit our remaining games?”


 

None of the boys dared to meet Jiwon's eyes much more say anything in reply. Mino's eyes sought Dara, who gave him a nod of encouragement.


 

“I don't know what other things are in your heads right now. But when you're out there, think of the game alone. Be 100% present. Physically, mentally. Arasseo?”


 

“Yes, Eun Leader!” The boys said in unison.


 

“Alright.”


 

Jiwon usually steps out of the locker room after post-game talks, Dara follows, and together they wait for the boys to take them out for a recovery meal. Dara had stayed for a bit last time to console the boys, reiterating that they could talk to her anytime about anything. This time she stayed behind too but not to say anything. Much had been said already so she just went around to give each one a pat on the back, a tap on the shoulder; whatever she could give to encourage them.


 

To most people, football is just a game, and when one plays games, it is only natural to win some and to lose some. But Dara knew what football means to each of her kids. Her kids, because she had had a say in picking each and every single one of them. She knew how emotional a few of them could get, how some of the boys tend to kick themselves harder than anyone could ever kick them. She knew because she was like that when she was actively playing. Come to think of it, she sometimes still is.


 

***


 

An upside to running a busy restaurant such as Kang's Kitchen is that it keeps one from thinking about things other than those related to cust

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter