Chivalry

The Beautiful Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Of all places, Jiwon dislikes hospitals the most. He thought he had met his quota of time spent in hospitals in this lifetime, but how could he possibly stay away when one of the most important persons in his life, one he has just reconnected with, was concerned? From the day Master Park was rushed to the hospital to the day he was released, Jiwon was present even if he felt a bit uncomfortable with people looking at him and with some audacious enough to ask for an autograph or a photo op. Even when Dara's brother Sanghyun arrived from Indonesia where he was based, Jiwon stayed until the doctors declared Master Park out of all danger. He was told that full recovery would take time, that it could be difficult due to the patient's age, but it was not impossible. Jiwon as well as Master Park's family felt relieved upon hearing it.


 

Between the restaurant and his other businesses, Jiwon actually has his hands full but there is one more thing he realized he could not live without: football. Since Master Park is indefinitely out of commission as coach, Dara has been filling in as much as she could, and Jiwon could see how it is taking a toll on her. After much thought, Jiwon has come to a decision. He would offer his services to the team.


 

To be honest Jiwon did not know how Dara would feel about it. Although they spent time together at the hospital, they were not able to talk much. Jiwon was able to talk more with Sanghyun and Mrs. Park as Dara dealt with concerns related to her uncle's confinement. Now approaching the field from a distance as the tryout was ongoing, Jiwon thought how Dara takes care of so many people, so many things. Is someone taking care of her? He shook his head. What am I thinking?

 

***

 


 

The moment Mino saw Jiwon approaching the field, he committed an error that earned him a look from the other kids. He raised his hand in apology then strengthened his resolve to focus. What was it that Dara ssaem said before the scrimmage?


 

All or nothing.


 

In or out.


 

Mino wanted to be in so badly, so he ran, dribbled, tackled, and fought for ball possession as if his life depended on it. Then he would look for Jinwoo or Seungyoon or Bobby for finishing. Seunghoon was a great help to him too. He found himself loosening up and enjoying the game. When Master Hwang blew the whistle to signal the end of the game, Mino knelt on the grass and looked up at the clear sky then at the other kids running towards the bench. He felt a hand on his shoulder.


 

“Good game.”


 

Before Mino could turn to look and reply, the kid has gone running past him to join the others in a huddle. It was Jinwoo. Mino smiled.

 


***


 

Dara sat down on the bench after all the kids had dispersed. Finally, some peace and quiet. As much as she loves being with the team at training, the past few weeks had been difficult for her. Master Hwang was ever supportive, but she did not want to burden him with more than what he already provides the team. As manager, she knew she has to recruit a new coach, but where could she find one who would take a dismal honorarium? She wondered.


 

“Hi.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter