Go Up

The Beautiful Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Needless to say, Mino was ecstatic to make the final cut for the football team together with three other students: Chanhyuk, who was in the same grade as he was, and freshmen Chanwoo and Jaewon; more so when he learned who would temporarily take over Master Park's place as coach. He could not believe it when he first heard that Matthew Eun—the Emperor himself—would be with the team for the season. The other team members had finally caught on the elite background and celebrity status of their new coach, and news about it spread fast throughout the school, raising expectations for the team. Although clearly intimidated, the boys looked forward to their first training with Jiwon.

 

Everyone expected the training to be difficult; after all, they knew that Jiwon was Master Park's prodigy. However, they did not expect a difficulty level of 11 on a scale of 1 to 10, per Hanbin's words. Jiwon—now Eun Leader to the team—had brought his A+ game and attitude. Mino noticed how sharply Jiwon observed each of them and quickly made changes to the drills accordingly, and how he struggled to keep his temper under check whenever players failed to follow instructions. By the end of training, everyone was down on the pitch, completely exhausted from the excruciating drills and exercises, yet no one had the audacity or any energy left to complain. Deep down, they knew that everything that Eun Leader made them do was for the team's best interest. They also realized that he was not called Emperor for nothing. He really commanded attention and respect. Mino actually noticed something else: how Jiwon's expression had changed whenever his glance fell on their team manager who had been watching from the bench. His impression was that Jiwon looked different on the pitch compared to when he was off it.

 

Somehow like Little Master Park, Mino thought. Dara was all business on the pitch, but off it, she was everything he imagined her to be. Maybe more. She is always cheerful and helpful no wonder the team members automatically flocked to her every time they saw her at the school on non-training days. Dara made it a point to know each player beyond what he could do on the pitch. When Mino submitted the required documents to play for the team, Dara had asked him about his old school, his former team, and his present concerns and interests. There was something about her that Mino found himself at ease, so he started talking. He talked a lot that day. Well, a lot more since he transferred school, and to someone older than he is that is not family.

 

After that, Mino felt more like his old self. He still missed his friends and teammates from his former school, especially Jihoon, but he thought that his teammates were all pretty cool. Yoon, who was named team captain, even shared his interest in photography. He said he noticed Mino taking pictures from the bleachers before.

“Hey Mino, do you have anything to do tomorrow afternoon? Do you want to go on a photowalk?” Yoon asked Mino after Saturday morning scrimmage.

“I'd like that,” Mino replied excitedly. He was glad to have someone show him around as he had barely explored the area. He only knew the way to school and other necessary establishments such as the bank, the supermarket, and the pharmacy.

“Great! Jinwoo and Hoony are coming too. I'll make a group chat so we can talk about the details later.”

 

 

***

 

That Sunday afternoon, after their photowalk which brought them farther than initially planned, Mino, Yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter