Will You Remember Me?

The Beautiful Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

If the football field was Jiwon's playground, Master Park's home was his classroom. In its living room Jiwon had spent many hours watching recordings of the most exciting World Cup games as well as reviewing the games his own team played. Together he and Master Park had gone over the set pieces their team successfully completed or completely messed up. They had broken down each play and note areas for improvement for each player. Jiwon had been an eager student, absorbing information quickly, asking questions incessantly.


 

Sitting on the couch, Jiwon thought how much the house has changed, yet how much it remained the same, ever so warm and cozy. As warm as the old couple who has always welcomed him. As he looked at the framed photos displayed on top of the side table he could not help but notice the young woman he mistakenly regarded as a student earlier. Definitely a student no more as he picked up Dara's university graduation picture and put it back in place. Then he saw it: a photo in which a much younger Dara was smiling with Master Park and Eun Jiwon himself; he remembered meeting her after that last U21 game he played. How could he forget the girl who gave him her ring on their first meeting! No wonder Dara treated him coldly earlier. Jiwon wanted to kick himself as he tried to remember where he kept the ring. He made a mental note to ask his mother about it when he got home after dinner.


 

“Our Chulsoo and Dara will be back on time for dinner.” Mrs. Park informed Jiwon as she joined him in the living room.


 

Jiwon put back the picture frame on the table and smiled at the woman he considers his own aunt. “A, yes. How have you been, Imo?”


 

“I've been well, child. Chulsoo and I, we have been really blessed. We might not have our own children, but we have been blessed to know many. And I'm glad to have you here in our home once again.” Mrs. Park patted Jiwon's cheek as she looked at him with fondness.


 

Jiwon held Mrs. Park's hand as he apologized. “I'm really sorry. I should have kept in touch like I promised.”


 

“Oh no, I did not intend to make you feel guilty or anything. You know, Chulsoo talks about you all the time, always wondering how you are doing... He's only too happy when you showed up at the school and looked for him earlier.”


 

“Really?” Hearing what Mrs. Park said made Jiwon happy. After he stopped playing football he often thought about his old coach, wondered if Master Park felt disappointed in him. Perhaps it was one of the reasons he kept postponing his plan to see Master Park. He had been afraid, but now he knew how wrong he was thinking that way. He felt much lighter.


 

“Really! You are his most favorite student.”


 

“We're home!” Master Park called out from right outside the door. Jiwon and Mrs. Park stood up to greet him and Dara as they entered the house.


 

“Welcome home. I'll get dinner ready while you guys catch up.” Mrs. Park gave Jiwon a nod as she left them for the kitchen.


 

Dara bowed slightly at Jiwon, not quite meeting his gaze. She followed her aunt to the kitchen. “I'll help you, Imo.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter