Since it's you

Heaven is a place on earth
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“You’re disgusting. I can’t believe you had the nerve to hide that from me!!!”

“I was planning on telling you but I didn’t know how!” The girl exclaimed, tears welling down in her eyes.

“You make me sick. I don’t want you or your filthy hands on me! Go away!” She screamed at the girl, her eyes filled with anger and disgust.

“What the are you doing to Hitomi!!!” Two girls come in between the quarreling duo, one holding the other by the collar and the other one calming the crying girl.

“DO NOT TOUCH ME, SAKURA! YOU ALL KNEW ABOUT HER AND YOU STILL DIDN’T WARN ME!” The girl screamed.

“STOP TALKING DOWN TO HITOMI LIKE SHE’S A MONSTER WHEN ALL SHE EVER DID WAS LOVE YOU, IT’S NOT HER ING FAULT IF SHE HAS –“ Sakura was cut off by an arm on her shoulder.

“stop… it.. please..” the girl’s eyes were red and her entire body was shaking, completely shocked by the escalation of events.

“I’m sorry… I’ll leave you alone… Y-y-you’ll be fi-fine, I-I’m sure of i-it.” Hitomi was stuttering. Sakura slowly let go of the girl’s collar, capturing Hitomi in her arms.

“I’m not a monster…” The girl woke up with tears in her eyes, drenched in sweat, and heart beating faster than usual. The vivid dream made her remember how much it hurt and even though she believed that even after all those years she’s convinced herself she’s better.

She was shaking. She looked at the time, she was a few minutes late for her morning routine. She looked at the mirror, her tear stained cheeks we’re burning red, still she had to go on with her day. She puts her hand on her chest, feeling her heart beat, trying to control her breathing. She splashed water on her face.

“Get a grip on yourself!!!!” she slaps her cheeks. “You’re okay now..”

Today was supposed to be a good day. Chaewon had planned something special for their next content. It was the start of Yuchiri’s Annual Week-long Festival and Chaewon wanted to show them around for the entire week. Hitomi was walking absentmindedly when she realized she was already at the kitchen. There she heard grumbles of a girl, who seemed to be talking to herself.

“Ahhhhhhh. Should I?” The girl whispered to herself. Despite the bad wake up call, Chaewon managed to amuse Hitomi with her fidgeting.

“Chaewonie. What are you staring at?” Hitomi greeted the older girl, she too was a little absentminded which was why she was shocked of seeing the girl’s presence. Immediately, the girl wiped her entire face with her hand.

“Ah, it’s nothing, just a flyer.” Chaewon hid the paper behind her back but Hitomi was quick enough to get the paper.

“Yuchiri’s Angel?” Hitomi read the flyer. “Ah, It’s a singing contest right?” Hitomi looked at the girl.

“Hiichan! I’m not planning or joining the contest, I-i just picked it up!” Chaewon defended herself. Chaewon took the flyer from her hands and folded it.

“Hmmm. You don’t have to join. You’re already Yuchiri’s angel though...” Hitomi smoothly put that puncher in, causing the girl to look at Hitomi with disbelief and blushing cheeks. “I would love to hear you sing.”

“I’m not participating.” Chaewon replied.

“Ow? How come? Didn’t you mention you were supposed to go to Hanlim?” Hitomi asked.

“I have reasons…” Chaewon looked away from Hitomi.

“Such as?” Hitomi moved a little closer to the girl.

“It’s a little personal… You don’t have to know.” Chaewon crumpled the flyer in her hands.

“But aren’t we friends?” Hitomi moved closer.

“Look, I just can’t okay?” Chaewon moved her back against the wall. Hitomi moved closer, standing in front of the girl. Now the two of them have a good look on each other’s faces. Chaewon could feel the blood rushing to her cheeks. Hitomi wrapped her hands in Chaewon’s hand, surprising the older girl for the bold move, however it was short lived as Hitomi pulled her hand together with the paper she was holding.

“Registration is until today, Chaewonie. I know you can sing well. You already sound like an angel you know? I don’t know what’s hindering you from joining but I did hear you contemplate earlier. You should join. I’m cheering you all the way.” Hitomi smiled at her. Their eyes were meeting one another’s and they stayed that way for a long time, until Chaewon broke the silence.

“I’m just afraid, okay… But since it’s you, fine.” Chaewon’s look at Hitomi softened.

Since it’s you…. Hitomi was struck with her choice of words. She couldn’t stop herself from smiling. It was enough to pull her away from the nightmare she had earlier.

“I’ll tell you why. Mom told me to give up on it..” Chaewon avoided Hitomi’s gaze. It was visible that the girl really wanted to join.

“She wanted me to focus on the inn.. and that I should just let singing be a hobby..” Chaewon frowned.

“If mom finds out I joined one… I might get in trouble…

“It’s not like I don’t like the inn. I love it to bits. I love the people who work here. I love each room. Believe me I do. My entire childhood was here. I remember how the inn was full of life when we were kids. Lots of tourists stayed. Eunbi-unnie, Chaeyeon and I would be welcoming guests by the lobby, wearing our little hanboks.” Basing from her tone, she felt the girl’s frustration. Chaewon let a sigh escaped from her lips.

“After Eunbi-unnie decided to pursue Medicine, the pressure was put on me… After that… everything was going downhill. I just can’t see the inn the same way before… I don’t want to inherit this anymore…” Chaewon just looked down on the floor.

“Chaewon. I don’t know how this will help, but I hope it does.” Hitomi started talking. Hitomi walked around the kitchen, giving the girl some space.

“As a child, I grew up a little more sheltered than the usual. I was always watched by my grandparents, as if they’re too scared that I might disappear one day. Then I met someone, she said, life is short as it is already and because of that we shouldn’t be afraid of going against what other people want for us, especially our loved ones. At least, once in a while, listen to what your heart is saying. Who knows what you’ll discover once you allow it to lead you.”

“I’m not saying that you should leave the inn, but what I’m saying is you owe to yourself to give in to what you want. Take a break from all the inn stuff, just enjoy the opportunities you have now.”

“I’m glad I allowed myself to choose what I want.”

“Because if I didn’t…”

“It wouldn’t lead me to you.” Hitomi looked at the girl in the eye. She couldn’t believe herself for saying something so embarrassing. But the flush of pink seen from their cheeks was enough to know that whatever they were saying was okay.

Somehow, something took over Hitomi. She remembered the first time she heard her voice, the first to actually capture her attention. A vivid reminder of their first encounter, Chaewon – shouting yet still sounding so pristine.

She heard a beautiful voice, the timbre was just enough to pull a heart string

“Chaewonie. Would you please join?”

“If you put it that way….” Chaewon’s eyes were darting from every corner in the room except to where Hitomi was.

“Okay. I’ll join.” Chaewon answered. Hitomi couldn’t help but grin from ear to ear.

 

+++

 

She wasn’t supposed to see but she saw. Taking care of Sakura and Hitomi was always her job. She never protested. In fact, she enjoyed having the both of them in her care. Whenever something bad happens to the two of them, she immediately blames herself for not doing enough. Nako was always like that.

Clearing the two’s laundry, she saw a suspicious item.

“Nako-chan. What are you holding?” Eunbi asked.

“Eunbi-unnie, it’s a bloodied handkerchief.. from Hii’s pockets.” Nako worriedly handed the item.

“Didn’t she tell you last week?” Eunbi asked.

“No… She’s supposed to tell me when things happen. Especially things like this!” Nako was visibly panicking. She was overthinking.

 “Hiichan told me last week.  I thought she told you afterwards. She probably doesn’t want you to worry.”

“It’s my job to worry about her!” It was one of the rare moments where Nako would lose her composure.

“Nako. Calm down. It’s nothing serious. She just felt a little tired from the short trek and the air at the Yuchiri High Point was a little dry. It’s probably the change in pressure and the air that caused the bleeding.”

“AND YOU DIDN’T TELL ME?!” Nako shouted at the doctor.

“Nako, I said calm down. You of all people should know that panicking doesn’t help.” Eunbi reprimanded the young nurse.

“You know her history, Unnie! This might be serious!”

“I know what I’m doing. Her doctor back at Japan endorsed her case to me. I’m studying her well. So calm down.”

“What do you know!!! I’ve been with her for God knows how long, Unnie!” Nako shouted. At this point, Eunbi was trying to stop herself from snapping at the young girl.

“Nako. Trust me. We can’t conclude something from one single nosebleed. I’m keeping her under observation for now but there’s nothing to worry about. Her results seemed fine.”

“Unnie. I’m still offended that you didn’t tell me.. As her nurse, I have the right to know.”

“She wanted to tell you first. That was a private session between me and my patient. For now, do not do anything rash that might cause any stress to the patient.”

“She was my patient first!!!” Eunbi wasn’t having it.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter