A choice

Heaven is a place on earth
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Just like everybody else, they all needed to process what happened earlier that night. Sakura was still high from the emotions she’s been having for the past few days. She was feeling lonely and alone, and with Hitomi’s sudden revelation, she just felt totally useless.

Sakura was walking along the porch of the Inn. There she saw two love birds enjoying their time. She groaned and decided not to disturb the two. She was about to leave but a hand caught up to her and gave her a dumb smile. It was Yena.

“So… I kinda heard what happened. Is it true though?” Yena asked.

“Yeah. Aren’t you guys leaving tomorrow as well?” Sakura answered with a question.

“Yah. Don’t stray away from the topic, Sakuchan.” Yena pouted.

“What is it to you guys anyways?” Sakura glared, her head being easy to rile up again.

“Sakuchan.” Yuri tapped her shoulder and smiled.

“Sorry.” Sakura apologized. “It’s just that it’s confusing you know. Everything is happening so quickly, I don’t wanna get left behind, but from the looks of it, I might.” Sakura sighed.

“Yah. Don’t worry too much and don’t rush yourself. No one is getting left behind.” Yuri smiled.

“We’re all just going in our right paces.” Yena added.

“Sakuchan, don’t worry. You’ll find an answer quick, just take your time and don’t force yourself.”

“Just like what we do in our RPGs, Sakuchan!” Yena butted in, earning a nudge from Yuri.

Sakura saw a familiar figure walking inside the hallway. Somehow, she looked like someone who doesn’t know anything about the drama yet. Sakura had an urge to follow the girl who was looking out of it, the same way as her. Her eyes followed her every move and before she knew it, her feet were walking towards her.

“Yeah guys. Thanks. I’m just confused but I guess I can figure it out soon. Uhm. Sorry, I have to go.” Sakura left her two friends and made way to the dancer.

Leaning her back on the wall, she let out a sigh. On her hands, she held a white envelop, whose names engraved weren’t hers. She just came back from the General Manager’s office. Her hands were shaking but her face had a smile of relief.

“Is that sigh good or bad?” Sakura jumped out of nowhere, shocking Chayeon from her stance.

“Oh , you look terrible. Did something happen?” Chaeyeon looked at Sakura worriedly. “Your eyes look ugly, Sakuchan.”

“Yah. Don’t get started with me.” Sakura glared at the girl.

“I’m kidding, but, did something happen?” Chaeyeon asked once again.

“Long story but.. would you mind telling me what that is?” Sakura looked at the envelop in Chaeyeon’s hands.

“It’s a letter for Chaewon.” Chaeyeon paused. “An admission letter.”

“Oh. She’s gonna study again?” Sakura trying to swallow the news. Ofcourse, this is a big thing for everyone. The heir of the inn won’t be around to manage the inn.

“Yeah. Well, she badly wanted to leave this place a few years ago, and out on a whim, Chaewon submitted an application letter to this school… and well she finally got an answer… after a year.” Chaeyeon smiled. There was something off, Sakura could feel it.

“Is the general manager okay with it?” Sakura asked.

“I’m working on it.” Chaeyeon winked. “Besides, it’s only for two years.” Chaeyeon chuckled.

“Where is her school though?” Sakura asked.

“Uhm.. Teikyo University. Eheh..” Chaeyeon stuck her tongue out.

“Japan?! Ehh?” Sakura exclaimed. “This is huge news? You know if there’s anything I can help with, just tell me.”

“But you… How about you?” Sakura looked at the girl. Sakura knows she’s done with the drama tonight has been giving her, but Chaeyeon, she looked troubled and she couldn’t leave her alone.

“I’ll stay here. I’ll be here in her stead. I’ll wait for her until she gets stronger.” Chaeyeon smiled. Sakura stared at her, bewildered.

“Say, do you want to go out for a bit?” Chaeyeon asked.

The two decided to walk outside of the inn. Basking in the night breeze, staring at the sky. The sound of the cicadas and footsteps were the only ones feeding their ears. Chaeyeon was weirdly quiet, and so was Sakura, but the two didn’t mind the silence. After all, both their minds were noisy with thoughts.

Sakura was feeling a little weird. She was walking beside Chaeyeon. She felt glad that she was rather oblivious with what happened earlier that night. She felt comforted, actually. She looked at the girl whose eyes were on the stars.

“Sakuchan.” Chaeyeon out her name.

“I like Yuchiri. I like the people. I like the view. I like the life I have here. Maybe one day, I’ll be leaving this place too, but I will always go back. I love it here.” Chaeyeon’s words bore sincerity. Sakura stared at her eyes, sparkling as bright as the stars above them.

“Sakura. This is my home. Do you like it?” Chaeyeon asked her. Sakura looked at the building behind them, the trees that surrounded her, the stars above her head, and the star in front of her – Chaeyeon.

“I do.” Sakura answered.

 

+++

 

It was approximately two am in the morning when Hitomi finally finished packing her bags. She wasn’t so sure anymore with what’s happening in her life. Her health is regressing, she needs treatment asap, she has to leave her friends behind and now she has to deal with the fact that her grandmother is confined in a hospital in America. She immediately phoned her grandfather, while he assured the young Honda that they’re fine, she believes otherwise. The calm and collected Hitomi had her eyes red from the overwhelming feeling she felt.

She sat at the corner of her bed. She wasn’t accepting any visitors at the moment. She needed time to think, to compose herself, just before she leaves. She can’t afford to screw her final moments with everyone. She checked her clothes, the coat she wore, and from its pockets she pulled out a wilting flower whose petals were barely holding on to its stem.  It was the flower Chaewon gave her. A tug in her heart says that holding on to that would only make it harder for the both of them. She loves her. She truly does but the uncertainty of it all made Hitomi waiver at her lost of control.

“Ah. it.” She plunged herself to her bed, lying flatly on her stomach. She looked to the left and on her bedside table, her camera was conviently placed. Photography was a hobby Sakura and her took up as a child, the two of them knew how fast life goes by and this was their only way to make sure they won’t forget the beautiful things in this world.

She sighed. The thought of leaving her after giving her so much confusion weighed so much. She took her camera and scrolled through its contents. There she saw so much memories. Clips of her stay here in Yuchi-ri, pictures of the masterpiece God crafted in the form of mountains, fields, skies, - Chaewon.  

Her muse.

She didn’t want to forget Chaewon.

Chaewon who convinced her she isn’t the monster she thought she is. Because, a monster isn’t able to hold much love for someone ethereal.

She kept on scrolling through her gallery until she reached the photos of when she saw her for the first time. She looked grumpy, angry, and cranky. Yet all the while she kept on wondering, how can someone look so beautiful even when caught up in such a foul mood. She’s mighty convinced at this point Chaewon is an angel. And once again, unintentionally, a smile crept in her face.

A knock was heard from her door. Hitomi contemplated on answering the door but before she could answer the knocker already unlocked it.

“ah wait –“ Hitomi was cut short when she saw the person entering the room.

“I’ve been knocking for quite some time and I thought something happened, sorry.”

“It’s okay come inside, Chaewonie.” HItomi offered her a seat on her couch.

The two of them sat on the couch, having half a meter’s distance between the both of them.

“Have you finished packing? Hiichan?”

“Hmm. Yeah.. I have..” Hitomi’s eyes were all over the room except to where Chaewon was. Seeing her will only make it harder for the both of them. A long silence lingered in the room. Chaewon inched a little closer as time went by until Hitomi realized that there was barely enough space between them.

Chaewon placed her hand on top of Hitomi’s. The two girls felt the spark- scratch that, if Hitomi were to describe it, she felt as if a thousand power lines were running through the course of her body, completely waking her and her sense up, only focusing on the hand that was rubbing circles on hers. The electrifying feeling that Chaewon gave to her was her comfort in her deteriorating world.

“Chaewonie….” Finally, Hitomi decided to look a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter