Before we conquered

Heaven is a place on earth
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Prologue

 

Heaven on earth, not a place to find but a decision to make.

 

Hitomi knew deep down, with what little time she has, with the circumstances that she has been given with, accepting the concept of life slowly drifting away as time passes by, in her case a bit faster, that life was how we make of it. Born from a mistress of a famous politician and a rising actress, Hitomi was forbidden to be introduced as their child since birth, a fruit of a scandal untold.

For Hitomi, home was her grandparent’s place. The only place where she was welcomed as a whole. Her grandparents doted on her. She was the only one they had. Their daughter, Hitomi’s mother, didn’t have the courage to say that she was hers and so distanced herself to silently support Hitomi until she unexpectedly died when Hitomi was five.

"Grandma, where did mommy go?" The small child squeezed the hand holding hers.

"She went to heaven, Hiichan." Hitomi's grandmother replied.

"Can I go there?" the little girl asked.

"You will. But not now, Hiichan." Her grandmother crouched to her level and looked at her with her tear stained cheeks.

"I heard heaven is the best place you can go to, so why can't I go there now?" Hitomi curiously asked. Her grandmother was taken aback by her series of questions.

"It is because you are someone else's heaven, Hitomi." Her grandfather took and carried her in his arms.

"You are our heaven Hiichan. So don't go away just yet. Grandpa and Grandma loves you so much." Her grandmother replied.

"You are the best place we go to because you give us love and hope and strength and most of all mochi cheeksss, Hitomi." Her grandfather begun to play with her while carrying her and started kissing her fluffy cheeks. Her grandma watched the scene and let out soft giggles.

"Okay, grandma, grandpa, you both are my heavens too! Hii loves grandma and grandpa so much." Hitomi exclaimed and pulled them closer to a hug.

 

++

 

Hitomi was a sickly child. She had been going in and out of the hospital, often times, spent more of her time there than at home. To get better health care, they had to move from the country side to the urban city. There she met Nako, a daughter of her personal nurse, her first friend.

Pitter patter of small footsteps were heard behind the lady wearing white. Intrigued, Hitomi checked to see who was behind her nurse. She got down her bed carefully, taking caution of her IV line injected on her left wrist. She was surprised to see a girl who looked about her age, although slightly shorter than her. Hitomi felt excited, it was her first time to meet a girl her age.

“Sasshi, who is this girl?” Hitomi asked.

“Her name is Nako, she’s my daughter.” The nurse introduced her child.

“Ah. Nako-chan! I am Hitomi. It’s nice to meet you.” Hitomi remembered the proper way of greeting a stranger. She was hesitant to reach her hand out but she saw Sasshi’s smile and was encouraged to continue. Nako first looked at Sasshi, the lady allowed her daughter to come closer.

“ehh.. Hello, Hitomi. I am Nako. It’s nice to meet you.” Nako shook her hand and bowed. The gesture immediately put a huge smile plastered to Hitomi’s face.

“It’s really nice to meet you, Nako-chan! Let’s be friends!” Hitomi took her hand and proceeded to drag Nako towards her toys, of course, Nako was aware of Hitomi’s condition and took extra caution when playing with her. Nako liked the way Hitomi smiled so wanted to show her something.

“Is it all right if I bring Hiichan out? Just at the courtyard?” Nako asked.

“Maybe not today, Nako, she’s still under medication.” Sasshi mentioned. Nako pouted.

“I’m sorry Nako, I usually can’t play outside because I’m like this and I don’t have friends to play with either.” Hitomi apologized.

“It’s okay. There’s always next time Hiichan.” Nako smiled. “I liked the view of the sky there and there’s a giant tree that keeps the area breezy. We can go there when you’re better.” Nako approached the window and moved the curtains, pointing outside. Hitomi was surprised that the window she often looked at was like a painting.

“Now, you two, play nicely okay? I’ll be back after my shift.” Sasshi left the two after letting Hitomi drink her prescription medicine.

Hitomi felt the happiest she’s ever been. She didn’t mind being surrounded by white hospital walls. Soft blue hues were visible from the windows and she was looking forward to seeing them in a much better view. She wanted to get better soon.

 

++

After a few years, the couple became a party of three. Sometime in spring, the two met a beautiful girl when she was confined after a huge car accident took her entire family out leaving the orphaned girl to recover alone in the hospital.

In the park where Nako and Hitomi liked to play before dark, they found a young girl sitting in wheel chair alone, looking focused while playing the psp. The two crept up on her, startling the bob haired girl.

“Nee-chan. What are you playing?” Nako asked. The older girl was startled to hear the voice and turned her head around, the moment the two had a closer glimpse on her face, they were smitten.

“Ah, nee-chan, we’re sorry to disturb you.” Hitomi apologized.

“Don’t tell

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter