8. Half-truth

WHITE LIES
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After sending mom to the airport and bid her farewell, both of them heading back to the office, driving in an awkward deafening silence with Eunji fixated her gaze to the scenery outside the car windows, refused to peek another glance at Sunggyu’s unreadable expression behind the steering wheel, seemingly busy with his own thoughts. Ten minutes went by but still none of them made the effort to start the conversation. Eunji knew this awkward silence is killing her but she couldn’t do anything right now. She couldn’t comprehend how to address the current storm they were in. Some part of her conscience was really glad his improvisation save their asses but the other part of her filled with rage and confusion.

It was only after another ten minutes passed by Sunggyu cleared his throat, then without tearing his eyes away from the road he muttered in a rather grim expression, “I can’t believe you haven’t told her anything...” Eunji shifted her gaze toward him, braced herself for his next line. “What exactly are we doing Eunji? Just how long are you going to keep this up?” he took a quick glance at her before got back to the road ahead of them. 

“I was going to tell her today...” she mused low, trying to subside the frustration to the back of her head. “I keep sending you signs to stay out of it before lunch but you ignored me and insisted to come along...” she grumbled indignantly.

Sunggyu scoffed. “Oh, it is my faults now huh?” he retorted with a sarcastic laugh. “It’s been like... what? Two weeks? What are you doing in those span of time? I also reminded you several days ago to make that call...” he continued again with a serious tone, no more humorless laugh.

“I’ve been really busy with work, okay! If you didn’t notice I spent the whole week working for you and your perfectionist . So, don’t come at me about how I don’t have time to call Mom...” she retorted back, infuriated at his accusation. He didn’t say anything, he just gritted his teeth as he glared at her. Eunji ignored his glare and took a deep breath to calm herself again then continued with indignant huffed, “Don’t worry, I’ll call her later...”

“That’s your clever plan??” Sunggyu jeered at her then shook his head with a smug expression. She pursed her lips, annoyed. “Do you even hear yourself, Eunji?” He continued again even before she could react.

“What?” she stared at him obliviously.

Sunggyu gave her a ‘duh’ look then shifted his gaze back to the road as he muttered, “So, you’re going to tell your mom that we just broke up several hours after she left?”

She nodded absentmindedly. “Things happen, people broke up all the time...” she said when she realized Sunggyu probably missed her nodded.

Sunggyu scoffed again. “Do you realize how ridiculous that sound?” he asked. Eunji didn’t respond to his question and scowled. “We’re just discussing marriage plan several hours ago. Do you really think it makes sense to break up right afterward?” He had a fair point, Eunji thought as she chewed on her lower lips trying to disguise her collapse nerves. “This is why I told you to talk with your parent weeks ago. If you resolved this sooner, we wouldn’t in this deep mess right now...” he paused for a moment, probably waiting to hear her reaction. Eunji sighed in exasperation. Once again, she knew Sunggyu was right but she was too irritated to admit it. “So, how are you going to handle this situation?” He continued again, looking irritated at her wordless response.

Eunji pressed her lips into a thin line, trying to suppress her rage. How could he say that to her? He wasn’t that innocent in this whole mess. So he clearly had no right to play that victim card with her. Feeling annoyed she sighed again in order to calm her nerve before muttered, “Fine, let say all of this mess is my faults...” she emphasized ‘my faults’ words. “But can you explain how I supposed to know that Mom would be in Seoul today? I had no inkling whatsoever about her arrival then out of the blue she just showed up in the lobby. How is this my fault? ” She saw his jaw clenched but he kept his eyes on the road. “And I would’ve been able to tell her today if you weren’t so keen to tag along and having lunch with us...” she added again with an irritated tone.

“And what do you want me to do about that huh? Being rude by refusing her invitation and left a bad impression on her?” he retorted back.

She glanced sharply at his snide remark, no longer can contain the anger she snapped, “Why do you care about it? You had a freaking girlfriend. You d

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter