10. Little talks (Part 1)

WHITE LIES
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The awaited long weekend finally greeted Eunji at the end of the freezing-February. So here she was, on late-Friday-afternoon standing with Kim Sunggyu in front of the finest ski resort in the snowy town called Tomamu after Jiyeon and her friend bailed on them. She was already at the airport when Jiyeon suddenly called and informed her that Seunghee had to look after her five years old niece, so she had to wait for Seunghee and sent Eunji with her brother to Hokkaido first. She refused and wanted to wait for Jiyeon too at first but Kim Sunggyu insisted they should go first. ‘We already here, might as well go.’ he said with a bored expression. She still couldn’t believe her luck, going on vacation with Kim Sunggyu, just two of—

“We should get something to eat, I’m starving...” She snapped back to reality when Sunggyu’s low voice interrupted her train of thoughts. She hummed, agreed with him as they followed the porter guy to their booked rooms. Two hours ride from the airport to Tomamu resort in sub-zero temperatures could do that to you. 

Several minutes later they already settled down in the Bowl & Roll House Eni, one of the seafood dinner around Hotalu street. Both of her and Sunggyu chose a table near the glass window that gave the full grand view of the snowy landscape of the blue run-beginner ski slopes.

“We should try that...” Eunji mused excitedly at Sunggyu, referring to the several small groups of people on the ski area. Sunggyu glanced outside the glass window, she followed his gaze, his eyes hover slightly at a teenage boy who coaching his friend or girlfriend how to turn, he gave a disapproving look when the girl fell on to the ground. “It looks fun...” Eunji beamed again, savoring her lobster miso soup.

“Do you even know how to move around in skis?” She shook her head. “Let’s not...” Sunggyu added.

“Why not? You can teach me how like that boy, I’m a fast learner...” she whined.

“It’ll get dark soon. We’ll get tired and frozen for nothing...” he reasoned. “Let's just go for sight-seeing today and get some rest...” he added again.

“Fine, you’re such a grandpa...” she mumbled low. Sunggyu gave her an unimpressed look. “I should try that with Jiyeon and Seunghee tomorrow, it would be fun...” she continued again with a cheerful note, ignoring his glare.

“Yeah, If they ever show up that is...” Sunggyu mused nonchalantly as he sipped his hot tea.

Eunji stopped stabbing her soup and glanced up to look at him. “What does supposed to mean?” she asked him, suspicious. He scoffed and gave her a look. “What?” she knitted her eyebrows, trying to guess the underline message behind his words but she couldn’t pinpoint what was it and Sunggyu has no intention to let her know.

Sunggyu sighed. “You’re so slow...” he commented then shook his head.

She stared at him irritatedly. “Can you please stop picking a fight with me for just one day?” she grunted. 

“Fine, fine. If you’re done with that miso let’s take a walk...” he beckoned her to get up. She sighed and got up, following him outside. 

As they walked side by side Eunji started to feel somewhat nervous especially when she noticed so many couples walk past them, hand in hand, being lovey-dovey. It felt like they just step into the wrong place at the wrong time. Several steps away from the souvenirs store they stumbled into a couple who passionately eating—kissing each other face, unbothered by the passer-by.

Sunggyu cursed low when they almost ran into another kissing couple after successfully ducked the first passionate kissing couple. “I should never come here...” He grunted. Eunji threw her head back, laughing. Somehow his remark sounded ironic but also funny at the same time. He glanced at her. “So, you find that endearing to—Yah! Be careful!” he exclaimed as h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter